Looking to get a '99 Cherokee. Are they good vehicles...

Looking to get a '99 Cherokee. Are they good vehicles? I've just always liked the way they look and I'm pretty broke (have about $3k to spend.) I live a pretty /out/ lifestyle, never get snow where I live, just want something that I can throw anything in the back of, toss kayaks onto, chuck my shepherd in the back and hit the trails. Needs to be reliable enough to be my daily.

Are there better options?

>better options
not for $3k. unless you can find a clean H1 for that price.

H1s start at 10x that, Dumbfuck

Spend half your budget or less on the Jeep and just hold the other half for parts and you'll be happy.

get a job then faggot

Is there anything I should know about it? Is it even worth buying?

Well I'm assuming you're in the US. The XJ is a good vehicle, it just breaks especially with trail use. Parts are cheap though and the XJ is easy to work on. I would suggest getting a manual. I recently got a ZJ for my wife and she refuses to learn manual. The automatic transmission feels pretty slippy sometimes and it's a source of worry for me. Also the dash is much more complex than on an XJ so hopefully nothing goes wrong in there.

It breaks? Like how? Are there any problem areas I should prepare for?

Well, I replaced the radiator on mine immediately. They can be hard on universal joints and shit. I mean, it's rugged but it's a light truck if you go hard on a trail you'll break stuff sooner or later. You'll probably still be able to drive it - mine never overheated even with the leaking radiator - but you just have to maintain them. It's much better to have money in the bank to fix anything that might or might not go wrong than to tax your budget on something with a reputation of "more reliable" and need to fear breaking something and not being able to afford to fix it.

Makes sense. So say I found one for $1200, what should I put the extra money towards that would minimize the amount of time I need to spend working on it?

They're OK but you should be able to get a 4runner on that budget that will be less costly in maintenance.

Hold onto your extra money to fix whatever breaks first.

I disagree with that user though: I'd rather get the $3000 car that is in good condition than the $1200 one that needs everything.

Everything breaks. Trails fucking break cars. In fact, with the Toyota tax I'm convinced that the main reason 4runners are less broke than Jeeps on average is because people are just more careful with them. Maybe OP is more of a 4runner guy though who knows. I just always feel better with money in the bank.

planning on checking this car out this weekend. It's a 1996 XJ, 4.0l 190hp, 4 speed auto. Really hoping its the full time transfer case.
Owner says runs great and the engine runs smooth. States that he fixed all the electrical gremlins years ago.
I'm new to jeeps and is there anything I should look for, be wary of?

Yeah, honestly can we just make this an XJ general thread? Any info on them would be appreciated.

It doesn't look like a sport, or anything other than an se. I HIGHLY doubt it's got the full time case. I'd be surprised if it even has an 8.25

are there any visuals cues i can spot to tell if the xj has a full time case?

Well, it either has the part time shift lever, or the full time. Look at the 4x4 engagement lever. Dunno why you'd want anything besides the part time though, it's beefy

Whats a full time transfer case? Why are they better?

lots of snow and ice covered roads where I live and full time 4wd is great , whereas the part time can only be used in offroad scenarios.

Ohh, makes sense. Is there any real downside in having the full time even if you dont need it?

Not from a picture like that. From the interior, the shift never has a full 4 notch, and the tc itself has an NP242 tag on it.

They're not better by any means. They're weaker than the NP231, (part time), theyre only preferred while on road.. Set it and forget it idea.
Part time can't be used on dry pavement, it'll bust u-joints like you bust nuts.

Weaker, longer, more play in the chain compared to part time (np231). It makes a HUGE difference in driveline slop if it's a manual trans.

Actually, I don't think any manuals came with the 242 stock

They're just another piece of chrysler trash. The 6 cyl AMC engine is good, but everything bolted to it is just junk.
>auto transmissions die early
>chassis cracks near the steering mounts
>exhaust manifolds crack
>recalled for airbag failures
>electrical issues common
>interior by daewoo
>utterly crucifies fuel

I looked into them because I love the aesthetic. Soon discovered they were shitty when new, and that was over 20 years ago now. Avoid.

Whats wrong with the automatic?

get the six cylinder, all the v8s chrysler has tried to use in them just seem to be garbage.

crankshaft position sensors go out a lot on them. having to replace the circuit board on the taillights is also pretty common. can't think of other common problems off the top of my head.

Is the 242 the reason the transmission feels like it's slipping at low speeds in my wife's full-time ZJ? I've never driven an auto 4x4 before much less one that somehow can be driven on dry roads. I've pretty much gotten used to it feeling like a 4x4 when making tight turns at low speeds (tires chuff) but the way it feels like it's failing to engage sometimes when making a slow start still makes me feel uneasy. Should it?

Thanks br/o/

I've daily driven an XJ for five years now, I fucking love it. Gets bad milage and the auto tranny is crappy, though.

The auto trans is bullet proof of you aren't doing neutral drops and burnouts every second, have 325k on this current one and 255k on my last one and it only died because of a wreck

The last user said it was crappy, does it simply feel like crap? I dont have anybody to teach me to drive stick, so i was heavily leaning towards auto until this thread. Youre the first who hadnt implied i should avoid it at all costs. Also, how much was it to replace?

I have never had to replace em, the 250k Cherokee died in the wreck. My current trans is at 325k and it shifts smooth and at the right times still, the car still ran a 17.6 while lifted with 31's on the quarter mile too

Nothing, why? The 4.0L's output is wayyy under the AW4's max capacity

Can i see it? Im admittedly not that Veeky Forums inclined. Ive worked on fords and hondas and harleys but idk anything about anything when it comes to what makes a jerp good.

I read somewhere that the AW4 and the A340E used by Lexus were essentially the same trans

Yeah a 2jz bolts up directly with the stock trans supposedly