Range Rover

Hi Guys I am considering ordering a full size range rover for my family. It is so expensive. Any suggestions? It has a good reputation but I think it is ugly as fuck personally. Is it worth the money?

It's very luxurious, very comfortable and very good off-road. It's also very very very expensive, both to buy and to keep running.

it'll break on the test drive

What do you mean by "expensive to keep running". I know its has terrible fuel efficiency. Are there any other costs?

Maintenance/service costs. Parts are far from cheap and they're hard to service, so that means a lot of labor costs.

It's the only car I've ever regretted spending money on. I have a Q7 now. Love it.

I recommend a Carfax bumper to bumper warranty.

Any other recommendations for similar high end SUVs? What about Porsche Cayenne?

Just get a Land Cruiser.

This

Land Cruisers are prestigious, luxurious, reliable, off-road capable, and they have Toyota's legendary reliability

Escalade.

The Cayenne is apparently surprisingly decent off-road, and about as Porsche as a big luxo-SUV can be. Still not that reliable though, and parts have Porsche tax on them.

Lexus can't be beat for reliability, and the Cadillac Escalade at least has cheaper parts if they break. Your family won't get to brag about you driving a Land Rover or Porsche though.

Cadillac Escalade is the most reliable luxury suv you can get. Based on the Tahoe and Suburban, but has their own special suspension. New one even has some sort of locker system for 3 wheeling.

The Land Cruiser/Lexus LS is so much better in every single respect than a Range Rover or Cayenne that it bottles my mind anyone buys those cars. Range Rovers are at least a half pretend offroader, the Cayenne is just a big VW crossover that's in a constant state of falling apart.

>Cadillac Escalade is the most reliable luxury suv you can get
Is that a joke? My FJ80 had 242k miles on it with nothing but regular service. Look at your local craigs, check Landcruiser prices and mileage, then look at the same for Escalades, will show you how they withstand the test of time.

Edmunds has the "5 year average price to own" of maintenance at just under 6k.

Doesn't seem that bad if you are already able to afford one.

>Is it worth the money?
no

Thanks. Can I assume that Touareg and Q7 are as bad as Cayenne because they are from the same company?

My old man ran a business wrecking and repairing old range rovers. But I have a distinct memory of him scrapping an entire P38 because the cost to fix the air con in it was more then replacing the entire engine.

Modern rangies are not rangies any more and while they are great cares the define what a money pit is.

They're virtually the same car underneath, except worse because Porsche at least has some sense of quality.

How are they great if scrapping it is the best option

It's not just the same company, it's 95% the same car. They are unibody, no transfer case, it's barely an SUV just a big car.

Why are you comparing a 30 year old off-roader to a modern luxury SUV?

95% of Escalades are leased and replaced every 4 years, Land Cruisers are general kept forever. Also nobody except black people like driving "old" Escalades. They're 2 completely different customer bases.

The weakest part of the GM truck is the transmission which will make it to 300k miles easily.

The comfort, the ride quality, the viability, the enormous suspension travel, the old alloy rover v8.

You have to remember the gen 1 came out in 19 fucking 70, they made the thing for over a quarter of a century, thats how far ahead of the curve rover was with it originally.

>breaking down every time it rains
>priceless

At least they have permanent AWD and locking diffs, which is more than most crossovers.

That is kind of funny seeing it was designed in a country where it rains all the time.

It was an example of how reliable they are. You started off saying something about reliability, now you are saying something about how nobody drives them for more than 4 years. The customer base is exactly the same, the cars are in the same segment and price range. You only pointed out the drivetrain which isn't a reliability issue on most of the large luxury SUVs these days. Most of the issues are electrical, these trucks have 50+ modules for all the features and it's sensitive stuff. Trim and noise issues as well are common. GM is absolute garbage at both.

I have a Range Rover Sport SVR now and like it. I had a Cayenne GTS for a while too, but when the new one came out and it was a v6 I was turned off by it.

Land Rover is great, give it a drive. They are much more reliable now too, I haven't had any problems with my last few. In the 90s and early to mid 00s they were touch and go though, lots of electrical problems.

I have drive all of these and I love the Cayenne, it is definitely smaller but drives like it is too.

oh and the lexus gx and lx series are really nice

What about Mercedes SUV? I'm also in the market for a family car but having trouble finding a good compromise of luxury and practically. I guess there is always Lexus.

G Wagon

I have also considered Mercedes. I have a Mercedes Sedan and I absolutely love it. But I think I just want to try something else for SUV.

As a mechanic that works on Land Rovers I'd say skip it or at least get out before the warranty ends. I just quoted a range rover sport owner roughly 4 grand for control arms and to get his heater working. They can be money pits because of their iffy wiring and diagnostic systems. That and the parts are pricy and leave next to no room for mark-up so no luck on deals.

Wife really like that car but a little pricey for me right now. Maybe when she gets out of residency.

In a conversation about Ranges and Porsches, a Cadillac isn't really on the same level.

>lets go innawoods so we can sit in the back seat and watch two different things on our seperate screens

You have enough money to buy one and you're here asking for advice? You've come to the wrong place.

I like mine, but it's a decade old at this point but it's a Sport Supercharged. It has held up just fine. She's a trooper.

It kind of is. Probably why it's the choice of chauffeurs and rich/important people. Ranges and Porsche's are nice if you like driving to and fro the dealership for repairs.

Memes aside, they're really not. They're good for rap videos because it's a brand the plebs can identify as expensive but when you get to the higher end of things they aren't really anywhere close. In an age where a special edition Range might come with a luxury cheese fridge and bottles of bubbly (restocked by the dealership of course) for when you're out hunting, what is GM offering? A grill holder? Free books to help you fill out your welfare paperwork? Cadillac competes with the very basest of the base model Ranges, then it's not relevant at all.

Anyone ever notice these things have shit brakes? I got a chance to drive my roommate's girlfriend's (trustfund's) '14 sport HSE for a couple hundred miles of mixed terrain and while I loved a lot about the luxury (door closers!) and the power, I hated the brakes. I tried emergency braking one time on an empty road just to see what it was like and the fucking things locked up like a goddamn vise preceded and succeeded with a terrible grinding screech from the rotors, not the tires. Sometimes we'd get the rotor grind at low speeds in parking lots, kind of embarrassing when everyone thinks your panic braking around a target cart return.

Yes I had both ABS and traction control on, I'm wondering if her vehicle has a gremlin or they're all like that?

Yeah I guess with a range rover you have to take it to a shop so frequently they have a fridge built in.

I'm assuming you're British? Because no hunter here would be caught dead drinking "bubbly" and eating faggot cheeses.

Cayenne is a fleet vehicle for movie car chase scenes. You might be lucky finding a mat grey cayenne at a really cheap price.
This. Very, very good at off roading.

If you do get the Cayenne, please take it offroading one day and join us here:
boards.Veeky Forums.org/o/thread/16196374

fucking newfags

>luxury cheese fridge and bottles of bubbly (restocked by the dealership of course)
i just cringed hard

Being an 80s body-on-frame off-roader riced with leather and a more powerful engine, it doesn't really drive like a luxury vehicle. And while the mechanics are great (not LC100 tier great though), modern Merc engines have shit reliability. People buy G-class for looks.

>Range Rovers are fucking everywhere
>Luxury cheese is banned

I fucking love my country sometimes