Planning on importing a Skyline R32 GTR from Japan to the US this coming year

Planning on importing a Skyline R32 GTR from Japan to the US this coming year.

How much should I expect to pay on top of the base cost of the car? Shipping excluded from the base price of course.

Also, general import/car discussion always welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3198/Vehicle-Importation-Understanding-the-25-Year-Old-Rule.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

I lmao at ur life jajajajajajahaha ur getting some chink shit from China jajajajaja enjoy ur rice tax

It's not a matter of cost, if you're so dumb that you have to ask Veeky Forums for help, you're never EVER going to be able to buy a car from an auction site in a language you don't know and get it sent to a shipping yard with the proper paperwork filled out.
Also you can't afford it.

Buy one already imported, you'll save yourself time money and headaches

You're assuming a lot there buddy. Money is absolutely not a problem, financial responsibility is. The only reason i'm asking is because I need to calculate if there is any headroom for potential profit.

Whoa pal, that's a lot of big words for someone on an anime forum.
If I was as rich as you, maybe I could afford a thesaurus, too.

fuck the sour grapes, rage your dream OP

That's not how profits work you dumb cunt.

>any headroom for potential profit

Its a car, so no.

was hoping to get someone with experience in importing to weigh in, but instead I get salty cucks trying to troll me.

Don't know why I set my standard so high on Veeky Forums XD

Kill yourself ameriburger.

You used to be able to get an R32 GTR for like 10 grand, now you fat mongoloids made the price double.
Wish you fucks weren't allowed to import at all, stick your garbage american "cars".

If you're too stupid to look all of this information up on a company website that deals with the importation/exportation of vehicles or even attempt to ask a company about the costs/procedure (that they'll fucking know since it's their job), than you'll never be able to import any vehicle.

And before you get mad, Veeky Forums isn't here to be your fucking customer service representatives. If you wanted us to be nice and not pricks, you shouldn't have asked us.

You have a wonderful day and I do sincerely hope you attain your GTR.

in total it shouldn't be anything above 25k (total) max if you want something pristine. Set aside ~15-20k for a decent one. The best ones you'll probably find are in the 20-25k range.

Then*

Fuck me.

also if you get a GT-R without a GT-R badge youre a shitter and deserve death

no gtr badge = gts

yes and no, people pull the GT-R badges off of their cars sometimes for no inexplicable reason

Well fuck me for hoping to get advice from someone with experience in this sort of affair amirte?

>Veeky Forums
>importing a vehicle
>experience with anything over $5,000

Lol. Just go ask on a GTR forum you dolt.

just get a gts-t for half the price.

I'd save your money and purchase a higher end car if profit is what you're after. Most of guys that import R32 GTRs are (for the most part) well off and just want to try it because of the hype only to later sell them after not being completely wowed by the performance. They just end up purchasing a stateside car for around the same price with better performance. If it really turned profit, you'd be seeing importers popping up left and right selling GTRs. Unless it's a car you absolutely lust over, I wouldn't bother importing it.

This a good place to start if you do actually plan on importing. motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3198/Vehicle-Importation-Understanding-the-25-Year-Old-Rule.aspx

Alright well here's my advice. Say you buy one in Japan sight unseen. You're already out let's say 13K because that's what they're going for, for cars that aren't pieces of shit. Then you gotta ship it, let's say shipping costs you 1500, you're at 14.5K. Now you gotta pick it up at the port and pay taxes and shit, roughly 1500 more. Now you're at 16K. So you have your GTR, and now you notice things that need to be fixed to make it presentable for a sale, plan on 400-2000 depending on what it is. Now you're at 16.4K-18K. Oh shit there's oil smoke coming out of the exhaust, because it has the shitty ceramic wheeled turbos that have been heaving out 1 bar of boost for the past 10 years. Well fuck there goes 500-2500 plus labor to get it some rebuilt stockers or a bit bigger aftermarket set. Now you're at 16.9K-20.5K. Alright cool it's ready to sell. You list it for 27K because you have a """clean""" GTR. A month goes by of 20K offers. You decline them all because dammit you have a clean GTR! But okay you lower the price down to 25K. Another month of 18K-20K offers shoots by. Now you're just insulted. You lower it down to 23K FIRM. One guy comes and finally agrees to your 23K. Cool, he just has to get a loan. On a 25 year old Japanese car. He comes back and tells you he only got approved for 16K, but he can have you the rest in cash in a week or two. He delays and delays because he just can't seem to come up with the cash. He messages you another week later and says, "look, I have 20K in hand right now today, will you take that?" You're pissed but just want to be done so you accept.

Wow. A whole 3500 max profit.

You decide if it's worth it or not to try and make a profit, bud.

You deserve all of this shitfest because you're such a fucking retard that you think Veeky Forums is the place to ask this. Go find some imported GTR forum you mental midget

I'm friends with the guy who runs Pacific Coast Auto, an auction/export company in Japan.
The general costs are
>$18000 for car (more or less)
>$1000 deposit
>$2000 shipping
And then customs fees
>10-15% of the value of the car MAX
>Customs broker fees, no more than $1000 generally

In looking to import an FD in a few years and it's possible to get under $10000 total probably. An R32 is expensive in Japan, but it'll be way cheaper to import one than to buy one someone else imported.

I've done a lot of research into this, so any questions you have I should be able to answer.

Don't buy one in shit condition. Look at the auction sheet.

I see them fresh from auction all the time

>let's say 13K because that's what they're going for, for cars that aren't pieces of shit.
Reading is key

Might as well buy one from the UK now with the cheap GBP, at least you'll be able to talk to the seller.

If I had one, I might remove it in hopes of avoiding theft/attention. Normies might not know what a Skyline is, but if they see "GT-R," heads will turn.

And no, I would not be foolish enough to daily the damn thing.

Bumping for info on 240sx, would like to import to Europe for personal use. Any owners? Are they cheap in maintance or Vic versa?

>XD
KYS

Well, stock up on anal lube because skylines are for flaming faggots, OP

Shame there isn't a lifted truck thread to save you, but you have the most flamboyantly homosexual thread on Veeky Forums right now

get a gtst dumbass...with the money you save you could swap in an rb26 and who da fug cares about awd anyway

>tfw put a gtr badge on my gtst

Just buy a 200sx you fucking retard

You're not going to make a profit worth talking about. The gold rush is over. I can name 5 importers off the top of my head all over the US and the price competition is fierce. The early R32 GT-Rs are somewhat troublesome and debug is non trivial. Parts are expensive as well.

The Japanese have realized the US demand for Skyline GT-Rs. Market conditions have adjusted for it.

can't wait till r33s start being legal to bring over, everyone hates it and the people that don't know shit about cars dont even know about it. Best part, is that Ill pick up a very nice one for real cheap.

The R33 GTR will be no cheaper than the R32. They only made 16k of them.

Just use fucking google.. There are a plethora of sites to import these from and LITERAL I shit you not videos of dorks going to pick up their godzilla and motovlog the whole expereince and explain step by step how to do it.

Don't bother trying to make a profit. The market is tapped, there are countless exporters/importers in Japan, Canada and the USA that have more experience, exposure and connections than you.

IF you want the car to drive it, good for you. It's a good looking car with a lot of historical value and is fun to drive.

>tfw AZ-1s will probably cost at least as much as FD RX-7s before importing when they're legal
>assuming FD RX-7s don't get even more expensive
maybe one day I will drive qt

>you will never drive a car that you could put inside your other car

Kys