What's the single best tip anyone ever gave you when you started your driving lessons?

What's the single best tip anyone ever gave you when you started your driving lessons?

I'm choking every lesson and it's really stressing me out. I need wisdom from Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PhPJmEt8cmI?t=2m31s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Chill the fuck out. everyone learns to drive, we've all been through it.

just stay calm and be yourself

Don't rush it and take it slow. I was the exact same thing during my first driving lessons, instructor was an asshole and took me to the streets when I could barely even work the damn clutch, so I stalled at every light and panicked like a bitch. I somehow got my license and then took time to really practice with my mom in her car, then she just let me drive by myself...and then it was just a matter of practice, track time, and driving increasingly "fast" cars.

Telling somebody to be calm doesn't work. You think they didn't think of that already?

>be yourself

2nd this. Take your time. Always.

Even when you figure out how to drive fast, you are still taking your time. Believe it or not, Schumacher, Senna, whoever else... when they are setting pole position qualifying times, they are taking their time and not rushing.

Well, if I told him to be a fucking aggressive fucktard of a driver isn't going to help, is it?

not to steer like a granny

>"don't be such a faggot."

desu you are probably too retarded to be giving people advice. shut the fuck up

Well, what advice would you give him then?

just remember you have no control over what others do, only yourself. that was the major anxiety point for me honestly.

>says the guy too retarded to be giving people advice and not contributing in any way to the conversation

Gee, you really showed him, user...

I'd tell him to take slow, deep breaths and focus on what he is doing.

>16204132
It's easy. I mean what's the worst that could possibly happen?

engage em dont marry em. you are in control of the car, the car isnt in control of you.

Two things went wrong there.

When you have really lost it, it is better to control where you are going to go rather than try to continue to save it.

Guarantee you that user was watching that semi bear down on them and completely froze up. If they had floored it it would have hit them ass first and given them the best chance.

Tell your trainer to take you somewhere that they can let you make some mistakes. You don't learn driving with a nagger yelling instructions every second in your ear. You learn by actually trying it for yourself to figure out what works.

relax

nothing wrong with failing or fucking something up, it's how you learn

after failing it 5 times you'll be relaxed

Don't fap days before driving tests.

Quit being a fucking spaz. Listen to your instructor, chill out and do what he tells you to do the first time he says it

>tfw your otherwise quite cool instructor actually lets you walk straight into a trap

I fucking felt so betrayed and dirty.

Always look both ways and double check, STAY ON RIGHT LANE IF DRIVING SLOW, left lane is for faster traffic

when in doubt, floor it

Example, did not floor it and died, also killed his family

>STAY ON RIGHT LANE IF DRIVING SLOW, left lane is for faster traffic
(assuming you drive on the correct side of the road wherever you live)
op. pls. pls don't camp in a lane meant for faster traffic.

Trips demand it.

Don´t stay on the left lane even if you are doing 300km/h or 185mph.
Someone will be faster than you, no matter how fast you are.
Video related.

Low n slow boyo, that's the ticket

>Video related.
you had one job

Wat video

When approaching hazards, you want to slowly arrive and not suddenly appear

4chin doesn´t like the video format.
youtu.be/PhPJmEt8cmI?t=2m31s

Veeky Forums doesn´t support this format...

Do a mad skid, brah.

More gas, slower on the clutch.

What did he mean by this?

see I am sure he will get another chance to learn!

After license and probation my dad told me not to drive passively. Basically some lady in LA taught him speeding up is always the answer.

You don't need to be a full on wolf dominating everyone when you drive but at least be a dog who still knows it was a wolf.

That box truck did the most hektik skid

Tbh It takes alot of time to let go of your stress
Story time:
>always super stressed and sweating at every lesson
>i live in a busy city so my lessons were even more hectic
>stalled at every traffic light
>somehow got my driving license after a million lessons, aged 19
>didn't drive for 3 years after that
>dad bought a new car so he gave his old automatic shitbox to me
>learn myself to drive allover again with babysteps, (just around the block, to the shops etc)
>driving automatic took away my fear of stalling and gave me more time to focus on the other traffic
>learn myself too merge onto the highway (checked google maps a hundred times prior to get familiar with the traffic situation in my area)
>I get more and more relaxed when I drive in my own area
>fast forward 4 years, I got enough courage too try a manual car again and bought my first "real" car not long after

I now love driving and find it really relaxing to cruise down a highway, it took alot of time to get rid of the fear, and for me to start enjoying cars. The best advice I can give is to get familiar with the area you live in and the roads you are having your lessons on. Ask someone to drive you around a bit or check google maps. If you know how the intersections in your area work then you feel more comfortable!

>instructor plays the bro and has a nice conversation with you and casually tells you to do this or drive there

>you do it because kinda distracted by the good atmosphere/mood

>instructor: lmao you're not allowed to do this. you failed, lel.

what a shit cunt

How the fuck did millennials get like this?

You think they didn't think of that already?

desu you are probably too retarded to be giving people advice. shut the fuck up

Dafaq
I learned to drive when I was 14 and joined the lokal gliding club and towed the gliders in manual shitboxes since then.
As I got 18 the first thing was trying to get my 1.0l econobox to the maximum speed blasting eurobeat.

When my mom first tried to teach me how to drive stick, she told me that it's like having a girlfriend. You can't go to quick with the clutch or it'll crap out on you, and you can't go too slow or else it'll burn out eventually. Be sure to put enough gas to match the speed of the clutch release.

And how many girlfriend have you had?

What did she mean by thi-

Nah, she's actually quite on point with that.

My mom told me girls have a penis too, it's just smaller.

Is giving it gas like having money then?

Yeah except if you're awful with the clutch it doesn't take half the gas in your tank and leave.

>B.E. Yourself

*** Keep your eyes far ahead, looking right ahead of you at the road surfave and shit is dangerous. Always plan ahead and consider what actions every car around you may take. In corners, look one corner ahead and your peripheral vision and muscle memory will keep you on the corner you're currently in. ***

Also, don't do dangerous shit just to make an exit or turn. Nothing in life is so important that you can't take a second and turn around safely.

practice makes perfect.

Find some empty parking lot somewhere and do some hectic skids until you master the car.

Assume everyone has the mental capacity of a /b/tard and stay away from everyone if at all possible.

>instructor is a bro
>used to all the chicks before me who cant drive for shit
>chills with me since i was actually OK at driving.
>talk about movies, listen to music, get donuts almost every lesson.
>accidentally run a stop sign
>"lol shit happens man"

The best advice I ever got:

>Mom teaching me to drive stick
>Dad had taught my brother the month before and didn't do a good job
>"Shitpost Son, I'll tell you a secret to driving stick that nobody ever teaches"
>I'm listening
>"When they say 'let off the clutch slowly' they never tell you that you aren't supposed to let it all the way out"
>"Let it out until you find the bite point and HOLD IT THERE as long as it takes to get rolling"
>"Hold it at the bite point and then apply gas just like in an automatic"
>"You literally can't stall it this way, it's basically impossible unless you fuck it up on purpose"

Best advice I ever got. Changed my life, changed the way I teach people how to drive manual.

It's actually pretty sound advice. Getting to know the bite point is the most important thing about basic manual driving. Just practice moving the car ONLY with the clutch pedal and you'll get the feel for it real quick.

My mother taught me too because I've never known my dad and that was way better than the fucking retard of an instructor I had.

My mom tried to teach me manual but she was a retard about it and I thought you needed to release the clutch fully to engage 1st. Every start was jumpy until I figured it out for myself when she wasn't around.

>I'm choking every lesson and it's really stressing me out.

Then you aren't cut out for driving... Stay off the fucking roads before you jump in a 4000lb chunk of metal capable of killing multiple people in a blink of an eye. Driving isn't that fucking hard.

black dad?

It's the best advice I can give to anyone learning stick.

A LOT of the frustrations I've observed with learners who were taught by others stems from the fact that people say DUMB ASS SHIT that means absolutely NOTHING to someone who's never driven stick before

>Gotta balance the gas and clutch
Fuck does that mean? Yeah it makes sense to those of us who already drive manual but saying this to a newbie will just confuse them worse.

>Let off the clutch slowly
Implies heavily "let it all the way out slowly" which is gonna make them stall no matter what

I seriously tell people "DO NOT LET IT ALL THE WAY OUT" like 5 times before I let them find the bite point for the first time. Especially important to tell them "you're gonna feel the car move, don't get excited and let the clutch out when that happens, just keep it in that same spot"

Also, people teach newbies to fear the clutch which is fucking retarded. You have to USE the clutch, and it's not like it isn't a wear and tear item. Minimizing clutch wear only comes from experience and truly understanding how to operate it, which doesn't come from the whole "release the clutch slowly" school of thought.

Drive with both hands on the bottom half of the steering wheel. They really like that on the test for some reason.

VISIBLY look behind you when you're taking the test.

Always be able to see the tires of the car in front of you make contact with the pavement.

That's what I tell everyone else, didn't realize dropping the clutch the instant I started moving is why I was stalling forever

That's racist...but funny.

And no.

well not knowing your dad sucks, but on the bright side at least you're not a nigger.

ALSO one other fucking retarded way I've heard of people teaching new stick drivers is

>Rev the car up a bit, then let the clutch out

Which is entirely backwards to anyone who's driven any other car before. Yeah, it makes sense AFTER you already know how to drive stick well, but to a beginner it makes more sense to teach them something that they already understand, which is

>hold clutch at bite point and you can give it gas exactly like you would in an automatic

IDK, i feel like retards teaching it like shit is partially contributing to the death of manual transmissions.

Oh, that and retards like Vehicle Virgins claiming to have "THE SECRET TO NEVER STALLING" when he doesn't fucking explain anything.

This

Despite people trying to verbally explain working a clutch to me, I didn't learn to really work a clutch until I got stuck in a stop and go traffic jam for an hour on the way home from work.

Had it down after that, I just needed physical practice and repetition, and a desire not to stall the car on the interstate.

>fail something the first times you try
>you aren't cut out for it because "IT'S NOT THAT FUCKING HARD"

With that mindset, nobody would ever learn how to walk, or read or talk or shit in the right place, much less drive.

Get rekt, edgy faggot.

>retards like vehicle virgins
well that's why they're called virgins i suppose

driving manual should feel like a work out. that means deliberate movement of the leg is needed, don't just drop your foot in. ease into it and that should make your thigh feel like it's working out. sorta.

point is you should feel that to make changing gears smoother.

It's fucking depressing that this cunt's shitty video on "how to drive manual" that teaches it the shitty way has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times.

BRB making a fucking proper video on the subject. I'm tired of this dogshit.

Give it more gas. If it looks like it is going to stall, just give it gas. Uphill and scared to hit the car behind you? Give it more gas.

What's the worst thing that could happen? A little bit of wheel spin? More engine noise? Not gonna make anything explode or something like that.
This tip does not apply for high traffic areas and parking lots.

Now, of your problem is not mechanical like you don't brake at Red lights or stop signs, or you get everytime on the wrong way on one way streets or something like that, chill. Relax. No problem..
Just remember, you would have to wake up a little bit earlier in the morning to catch up the bus.

that video better be 4k 60fps or im watching porker's video and showing it to all my friends who want to learn how to drive stick

Also, fucking nobody teaches rev match downshifting correctly either.

how it should go:

>Clutch in
>Move gear stick to lower gear
>Hold the clutch in as long as you want, no need to rush things
>When you're ready to actually be in that gear, hit the gas to whatever RPM you think the next gear will be at
>Let off the clutch once your foot is off the gas
>Both feet should come off the pedals at a pretty similar time

What you actually get is

>OK ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS
>CLUGEARCHANGASTCH
>SEE IT'S SO EASY JUST
>does it lightning fast 5 times in the video

Fuck off, you don't learn the fundamentals by watching it done at lightning speed. My brother "learned" from some shitty youtube video and his entire sequence is based on trying to do everything at the same time instead of in a logical sequence

I mean, you shouldn't even be revving the engine until you've already put the car into the gear you're shifting down to. Speed comes with time and practicing it correctly, not by guessing wildly based on what you saw in Initial D.

I was under the impression that "riding the clutch" was really bad for it, and i would try to let it out as fast as possible without stalling or spinning the tires.

At least i know how to launch now.

Using the handbrake on hill starts until you figure out how to heal-toe properly really helps.
>lightly handbrake
>release clutch till you feel the bite point
>give gas and release handbrake

Most of manual just takes practice. Going to some parking lot to figure out how to start in 1st gear without stalling. Then go to a windy hilly backroad to figure out hill starts and rev matching without anyone behind you.

Practicing without anyone around really helps confidence too.

You don't even need the handbrake though

>Find bite point
>Hold it there
>you can't stall now because the car will hold still as long as you're holding the clutch at bite point
>The only way the car can possibly stall is if you let the clutch out more
>Take right foot off brake pedal
>Apply gas

Well, obviously the idea isn't giving it full throttle while at the clutch's biting point, shitpost mom's advice works for relaxed, day-to-day driving. Once you've got the car moving you should let of the clutch, you don't go absolutely everywhere with the clutch pedal at the biting point and giving it throttle.

>>The only way the car can possibly stall is if you let the clutch out more

It can get pretty confusing for a beginner to fiddle with the feet, especially when they roll back and panic. Having their hand on the handbrake helps in that regard.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that once you're rolling, let off the clutch, but that's kind of obvious since I'm on Veeky Forums and didn't figure you guys needed that sort of clarity.

However, it's important to instruct newbies to gently let the clutch pedal the rest of the way out once they're moving so the car doesn't buck about wildly.

And you think introducing the handbrake is gonna make it a LESS confusing process somehow?

As long as your learner understands that holding the clutch still at the bite point means the car absolutely will not stall, there will be no problems. In fact, I'd go about teaching this exactly like that - Take them to a hill, have them let go of the brake once they find the bite point and have held it there for a second

>"wow, the car isn't moving backwards down the hill!"

It fucking works. The clutch is your friend, not the enemy.

>fuck it

Seriously. When I first started drifting I was terrified of running into walls, spinning out, etc.

Anxiety for days.

Then my friend told me, "fuck it, just fuckin send it and see what happens." So I did, and it was terrifying but then I realized that it wasn't scary at all, and actually quite easy. So I just kept doing that, and now I'm a better driver than a lot of people I know.

>just go up to her and say "Hi"

When I was first learning stick (still have only a few months with it) handbrake did help a lot. I used it to make it like I wasn't on a hill at all.
>Handbrake
>bit of gas
>find clutch bite point, feel RPM drop
>let go of handbrake and off I go with zero roll back
It's hard in a car with no torkz to hold it with no gas and find the bite point without stalling, as you don't have nearly as much RPM to play with before it gets too low

Well, it can be less confusing than heel n' toeing for someone inexperienced. Specially where I live, fucking Andes mountains!

After years of driving I also do it in steep hills because I don't wanna risk schreeching my tyres (prev. owner fitted Neovas on the car, and I have no money to replace them in at least a semester! lol). It's just as described, handbrake, clutch in, find bite point, a bit of gas drop handbrake, and there you go.

brain dead sluts commute every day while doing their makeup
half blind old ass cripples commute every day
you as a sound mind and able bodied young male should have zero problems.

Thats why you buy a high performing musheen to avoid faggots

You go where you look.

If you spent more than a quick glance to the side, you will start drifting in that direction.

Avoid heavy traffic until you get the hang of things.

Drive a throw away car and keep a few hundred to a thousand set aside for car repairs or replacement. You will fuck up at some point, its not the end of the world just work your way through it.

Be it booze or drugs or just being tired, you need to know when to say "No, I am in no state to drive"

Practice your basics, make it muscle memory. Without even turning the car on, make sure you can find your Blinkers, 4-ways, Highbeams, Emergency Break and Gear Shift. Then do it with your eyes closed.

Mirrors are most used for parking and passing

Mute your phone and ensure it will not distract you.

Do not let Passengers distract you, even if your driving with friends.

Everyone follows the same rules unless they're Chinese.

>Keep your eyes far ahead, looking right ahead of you at the road surfave and shit is dangerous.
This should be stressed more often. Look where you want to go and your body will automatically do all sorts of shit to get you there.

best advice

when i was learning to drive this is what i told myself over and over
if clinically retarded people, the elderly, teenage girls with cell phones, and soccer moms with seven kids can drive every day and not immediately kill themselves, then by all fucking means I should be able to do that as well

that and what said, practicing by yourself helps confidence a ton, even if it means having to take the car to some back roads where you're sure you won't get stopped and lose your driving ability period for driving alone with only a permit

I'm not involved in this argument but you're a huge piece of shit

Shoot for the apex, accelerate during corner exit, drive 10mph over the speed limit at all times

wow man u downshift like a pussy

I don't think the driver of the bus you take everyday downshifts any better.