Why

why

keeps traffic moving. left turns hold up traffic and michigan lefts dont.

A roundabout would solve that shit.

That looks like a clusterfuck.

>>That looks like a clusterfuck.

it's not, you just lack common sense. you drive past your intersection, make a u-turn through the turnaround, and then turn right. traffic is never held up because it only ever waits to stop and go--there are no left turn lights to halt traffic.

you cannot have a roundabout at every single intersection, but you can have a divider and as many michigan lefts as you want on major roads.

these are typically 2-3 lane roads on either side that run through the heart of the entire detroit metro area, not small sidestreets.

The only place a left turn like this could work is somewhere as deserted as Michigan. What if traffic gets backed up and you cant cross over to the left lane? Then you're just as fucked as you would be waiting for someone to make a left into oncoming traffic.

The real solution is to just not be a fuckwit of a city planner, widen the crossing road so it can have dedicated left turn lanes with a turn arrow on the light. Boom easy traffic flow for both high traffic and low traffic, no grid lock.

you cannot have a roundabout at every single intersection

True however a Michigan left is only really justified at a major intersection, and even then a roundabout does a better with less space.

Also not there are more roundabouts where i live than Michigan lefts.

>>The only place a left turn like this could work is somewhere as deserted as Michigan. What if traffic gets backed up and you cant cross over to the left lane?

i have no idea what you're talking about because this never happens. traffic backed up so much that you can't cross over to the left lane? why aren't you already in the left lane if you have a turn coming up? this never, ever happens unless you're too stupid to try to change lanes until you're past the intersection you need to turn left on, and you could make the same argument for any sort of off ramp for any highway.

>Then you're just as fucked as you would be waiting for someone to make a left into oncoming traffic.

no, not at all. there is another lane and a u-turn, and at major interchanges these turnarounds are two or sometimes even three lanes wide.

>The real solution is to just not be a fuckwit of a city planner, widen the crossing road so it can have dedicated left turn lanes with a turn arrow on the light.

traffic would come to a standstill as people wait for both intersections to turn left at every single light. michigan lefts work on the same principal as major expressways do in the sense that they do not require traffic to stop so people can exit the road onto another. they're just slower and have stop lights. halting traffic for twice the amount of time at each intersection would drastically reduce traffic flow.

Somewhere with hightraffic this shit would instantly be gridlock, this kinda shit only works somewhere where there is backwoods low traffic.

not when they're 4 lanes on either side.

This is why I preferred driving in Flint rather than Detroit when I lived in MI. Flint said 'hell no' to Michigan lefts.

Pic marginally related; me autocrossing in Clio in 2007.

>Shout out to all my FlintTown thugs.

no one lives in flint

I did from '07 to '10. Shit was awesome, total anarchy.

*I was there for a certain automotive engineering university.

No one will once all that lead kills them

Son have you ever been out of the woods and in actual civilization?

>let's put a roundabout every 10 miles down the highway

europ logic

there are over 4 million people in the detroit metro area

>thinks living in a city is a plus

My paint skills are lacking but this is the right way to do the intersection, widening the crossing road only at the intersection to add turn lanes, and cutting into the median on the highway for dedicated left turn lanes. This setup can hold way more traffic, and it works just as well in low traffic. Sure its not as good as a roundabout or a michigan left for low traffic, but at medium-high traffic it doesn't become a clusterfuck.

You can really only get away with roundabouts or michigan lefts in places where there will never be growth nor heavy traffic. I.E. somewhere like the shithole known as michigan.

You can have your civilization, I'll take my low crime rates and a dozen award-winning bars in walking distance.

>He thinks he knows where I live.

Mexico City

I almost went to Kettering, but I didn't want to risk death by walking too far off campus. Shit was sketchy as fuck

Kettering was amazing. The place was ghetto as fuck but because of this I had a 5-bedroom house to myself for $340 a month. I even had a weed garden in one of the top bedrooms lol and a dedicated beer-pong room (pic related). The 3-year Harley-Davidson co-op was pretty sick, too.