Is $120K/yr a good salary in San Francisco?

I have an offer with a great company in SF.
I'd get 120k + some equity.

Should I take the job? Curious to know how much in taxes I'd get (single,30). Help me decide if it's a good offer or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5874351808.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/apa?min_price=800&max_price=1100&availabilityMode=0
sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/roo/5879277060.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unfortunately, that's a junior level salary. If you're not junior level, try to negotiate higher.

If you're a dev, sr. level salaries are now in the 200's

1) Let's say it's a junior salary, is it still good when living in SF? I'm pretty frugal, how much can I take home at the end of the year?
2) I'm not a US citizen so I don't have a strong position to negociate, still doable I guess though

Well let's say your tax rate is 35% including the fuckover you'll get from the state. And assuming 3k a month at least for rent in SF, you'll be left with 42k for all of your living expenses excluding housing.

Take out food, transportation, any loans, utilities, entertainment, internet, cellphone, etc.

Welcome to the bay area.

it's ok to live on, but nothing extravagant.

rent for your own place is at least 2k if you live in sf, i recommend the east bay (berkeley)

always ask for more equity before you take a deal, it's a negotiation

whats a good salary for a good mobile dev? Also are companies willing to sponsor the visa generally?

Why don't tech companies just set up shop in the midwest? It would cut the costs for rent and salaries in half.

Because the midwest is not progressive

>3k a month at least for rent in SF
Why does anyone live there?

Is this for real?

because nowhere else has as much talent and the same ecosystem. People move there to work for one place, leave after a year or less and walk into a new tech firm next door. There are VC's everywhere not to mention the possibility of running into important people all the time. All the supporting businesses for tech are already there to help companies with their services. (lawyers/engineers/marketers/ etc.) You can join 1000's of events/meetups/seminar's and offer your services and join a startup. All of the major companies already have roots there. It's naive to think the internet makes location irrelevant, SV is a whole other planet. It's a self fulfilling place, kinda like gay cities. Techies flock there and strengthen the stereotype.

I really want to see that cycle broken.

If you're from outside of the US how did you manage to get an offer from a company in SF? Just curious because I'm in Canada and I like to work towards the same thing.

one of the founders is a friend from college, and I have a skill they need right now.

Dunno how taxes work for visa holders, but let's say 25% bracket federal (remember that it's a graduated income tax) + 8-9% California. So call it 1/3, leaving you with $80K. Even if you pay $3k/month in rent, which is totally avoidable, you'd have >$40K left for food.

probably, SF is expensive as fuck.

Then go to LA

Now that you're mentionning LA, would the same salary in LA considered good?

You can rent a room for 1500 if you have to.

Bear in mind though, SF is a differently world. I thought I was frugal before I moved out here, but the spending culture really gets you. There's an ominous feeling of "the best place to spend my hard earned money is here because everywhere else sucks".

Trust me when I say this, if you are a single reasonably young male the bay area is a disease. Best place in the world but leaving is a nightmare.

Really interested to know more, care to elaborate? I'm a young reasonable young man, I think I'm pretty immune to consumerism and I'm not interested in the latest gadgets. I spent some time already in SF and I know the culture is a bubble of its own, but I'd like you to tell me more about it please.

when you find your niche, your friends, love life, they wanna do things, and you willfully want to go with them, eat places, socialize, and having a life just adds up. Even if you don't socialize, you'll find places to eat out on lunch break, find things to get/do for boredom, it really does get to you
I think it's a great opportunity, but you're just gonna have to put conscious effort into your budget

>California has an 8% state income tax
>you don't even get free health care out of it
>you're then expected to pay $3k/mo in rent and $10 for a dinner at a fast food place
>wanting to live there because of muh beach and muh big city
Wow, Democrats are fucking stupid.

Semi related. What would a good salary for an engineer working at Tesla be? 5 years exp. mid tier mech.

You're not seeing the big picture. In a tech-rich community you can get fired one day and get half a dozen job offers for more money on your shitty 1-3 hour commute home.

Nowhere else in the world offers the kind of freedom from the shackles of having to kiss a managers ass, than the tech rich west coast.

My boss was a dick to me last week. Still not sure why. I started getting nervous about an impending layoff. This was Wednesday. By Friday I'd scheduled a phone interview for this Monday which I nailed and today I'm interviewing for a new job with comparable title and 15% salary increase.

All because my boss was a dick and I'm a little bit nervous about the state of the company.

Nowhere else in the world offers that kind of freedom and opportunity. Certainly not the midwest or deep south.

Thanks for your feedback.

What's the additional difficulty to do that if you're a foreigner on a visa though? Also, what do you think of 120k salary?

120k sounds rough.

I live in a suburb of the Portland metro area. I currently make 95k and have a 250k home with $1700 mortgage. I'm actually interviewing today for a job at $108.

Amazon reached out for a job in Cupertino. They're lobbying for me like crazy this is the 4th email I've gotten from them. The other 3 were in Seattle.

I researched comparable home prices in and around Cupertino/San Jose. $1.7 million median with a range of $700k to $2.5m for bascally the same home I have now which is valued at $266k

So I dunno man. $120k sounds like great money, a very respectable salary, but cost of living in SF is fucked up.

As far as bouncing from job to job, I wouldn't worry about that. Recruiters don't care where you're from they care about what you can do. Get 6-18 months in and move on if you're not happy or want more money.

What's the job title if you don't mind me asking? How does that pan out against similar job titles on Glassdoor?

oh... nepotism strikes again

I don't plan to buy a home in SF, I'm not from the US and don't plan to establish my family here.
I know a friend who can rent me her apartment for $1500 in SF so I'm lucky on this.
the title is mobile dev. btw

120k for entry level or mid level mobile app developer is ok. It's commensurate. Maybe a bit low. It's not outstanding but it's okay.

If your HMO costs exceed $400/month (for just yourself) you should reconsider or renegotiate.

$1500/month rent is a godsend. Hopefully you're not in a basement closet.

I use mortgage as a kind of a yardstick. I wouldn't advise buying property in SF unless you just want a home. (I used to work as a data analyst for a mortgage loan servicer, property investment in SF, Seattle, Vegas, Boston, Miami and probably Portland, is a risky game)

Good luck man.

but you have to live with shithead regressive leftists who think they are morally superior to you because they have a different gender every day, and not to mention the ugly women

>you have to live with shithead regressive leftists
Are you really going to shape your perception of California entirely based off of what you read on the internet?
>not to mention the ugly women
You can call women in Cali a lot of things, but I'm not sure 'ugly' is one of them.

I went through the bay area for the first time a few weeks ago. To drive into SF over the Bay Bridge is a TWENTY dollar toll.

TWENTY FUCKING DOLLARS

It's a gorgeous city though. And some of the surrounding areas are super nice. We went into Redwood City. Soo nice.

Does no one in here actually have a job

120k is fine. I live in San Francisco, I pay 1000 for rent. It's high, but perfectly livable. I work as a technical accountant for Fidelity and only make 70k, but I have never once felt like I was financially insecure.

>unironically defending these people

>I pay 1000 for rent.
Ok but not all of us want to share a 400 sq studio with a roommate.

This is what $1100 a month gets you in SF lol

sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5874351808.html

I have my own room and bathroom. I live in Sunset, just 20 to 25 minutes away from downtown. My commute is literally one muni ride. It's not hard at all to find a good place for near 1k.

So what you are saying is that you don't know anything about SF at all and are just going off random craigslist pulls in order to give someone advice about actually living in SF. Ok.

>random craigslist pulls

I set the rent parameters at 800-1100 and it's literally the first result.

sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/apa?min_price=800&max_price=1100&availabilityMode=0

I do know about SF. I was literally there a month ago as I mentioned here

>hurr
When did I defend them, retard? I was saying that, contrary to the stories on /pol/, Tumblr-tier leftists do not make up the majority of Californians. It's unlikely that you'll have to even interact with them living here.

Just visiting contributes nothing to knowledge about actually living there.

sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/roo/5879277060.html

800 in Sunset. You could probably get a much larger room just north of Daly City, adds like 15 minutes to commute.

That's right, stay away pls

I would take the job. I make 200k (but have two kids) and hope to stay in SF for as long as possible.

$20 toll? You drive a trailer or something?

Sounds like a good move for you. Talk to somebody who can advise you on taxes first though.

tell me more about women in sf. as a single 30 guy how is the situation?

We did have a trailer now that you mention it.

It's horrible. The women in SF are complete trash

That said, I'm now in Man Jose where it's 80% indians so I shouldn't really complain...

Rent would go up

With the alternative being? Living in rural white america and complaining all day while listening to Alex jones?

Look up Detroit's recent history. Quicken Loans may not look like a tech company but it is.

lol yeah, white people suck, am i right????

it's so great being surrounded by third-worlders, taco trucks, man!

Yes... look at the housing prices around SF or where you go to work.

oh shit, any user can confirm this?