Opinions on a GTI? Anyone own one or have any input?

Opinions on a GTI? Anyone own one or have any input?

Gonna check one out next week.

Navigation,Moon/Sunroof, Heated Seats, Leather, 53k.

They want 16.9, Offered 15.5, countered with 15.9 Think I might actually pull the trigger. Carfax looked okay. Maintenance every 10k, major done at 50. Only concern is rear damage from hitting a parked car but I imagine it couldn't have been too hard.

Not too knowledgeable on these cars so input would be greatly appreciated. Seems to be everything I'm looking for though.

>vw

>vw

They're fun but it's easy to push the car to it's limits. It's a lot of fun but I'm not quite satisfied with it and I don't want to spend a lot of money modding an FWD car.

Nah man get yourself a Nissan juke

That's what I'm worried about. I know the aftermarket is nice and I read it can make some nice power with the right mods but I'm nervous I'l expect more

>not waiting for the gripz

I would get it if you are seriously considering it, it is a lot of fun, but still holds a lot of practicality/ plus plaid seats

I didn't expect more my appetite just went through the roof. I wasn't that into cars before and now I want to build a car I'll die in.

My friend has one and she loves it. The ride is a little firm at times, but it's still quick. It also has a great sound system

thinking the same here San...

Anyone have the back story on the plad/bagpipe interiors ?

The word is VW's transmissions are BSOD after 100k? = meme tier?

I'm at 118k so I really need a DSG flush soon. No problems otherwise though.

Own a 2016 and it's been wonderful. Would go with power package for sure. It's a steal unless you want to do mechanical lsd later. Pretty damn reliable. Be weary of 2015 models due to comp tunes blowing the weak turbo.
Also you should upgrade the clutch especially if you are mt. Dsg can handle more . Lots of great products out already. Always can do jb4 piggyback this December if you are worried about warranty.

how's the interior build quality? Still a mile above the Honda/Nissan/Toy?

any love for the 07-08's?

you can get a g37 from a private seller for that much. much better car.

>vw

This board absolutely despises VW so you are going to get disproportionally negative responses.

However, I own at '14 GTI and its the best car I've ever owned. Highly recommend.

why so much hate besides the obvious weeb life?

is it grounded in any reality?

they have shit quality control. you could get a good one or you could get a terrible one that rapes your wallet. there are faster and more luxurious cars for the same price.

Basically this
However I would like to add that the GTI does not excel at any one specific thing, It's just a great all around car. If you want to be absolutely safe get a Honda/Toyota for reliability. But personally their economy cars don't have nearly the same level of personality or as fun to drive.

the wallet rape?
is it just a German import thing?

or are there specific things to look out for when buying a 10 year used > to current year build to look out for?

carbon buildup
wastegate rattle resulting in turbo replacement
timing chain tensioner
water pump/thermostat

2012 GTI owner here. Got the pack you described for 9k and 48k miles ('salvage' title). Its pretty comfy for the stiffness, but there's a bit of road noise. Stock it has good performance feel all around and is fun to track. Right now I'm running Unitronic stage 2 ecu and supporting mods, definitely worth it if you really want more power.
But stock, its perfectly reasonable and great to live with with its hatch space.

Best car I've owned. Previously I had an '85 AW11 and '93 Z32.

Reason why I bought my GTI is because I wanted to further diversify my driving with a layout I had no experience with, having owned an FR and RMR previously.

Unless you get a Honda with a stick shift.

It kinda goes like this:

Civic Si (4dr) - awesome shifter, fun, is a bit chintzy/tin-can like. Cheaper than competitors, dependable/reliable and cheap to maintain.

WRX - more power, AWD, most expensive by a little bit. Maybe not quite as reliable as the Civic since it's a Subaru and not a Honda/Toyota, but still good fun even if it doesn't shift as nice as the others and is more rough around the edges than the GTI.

GTI - Feels faster than it is, most buttoned down of the three. Nicest of the three in terms of interior as well and the hatchback means you get a bit more urban practicality without sacrificing too much space. FWD like the Civic, very good all-rounder. Downside is that it's still a VW, which means that you're essentially rolling the dice once that warranty runs out.

Fiesta ST - tiny demon fuck of a hot hatch, probably the most fun little cheap 4 door there is. Way less expensive than all the others, somehow manages similar power to the GTI, great shifter, loots of mid-range oomph, Recaro seats of the Gods, so long as you're not fat or a bigger guy. Cheaper than most of the others, too. Downside... it rides rough, depreciates just as fast as a normal Fiesta and, oh right yeah, it's a Fiesta.

Focus ST - poor man's WRX. Lots of power available, way cheaper since there's no Subaru-tax, a bit manic in the corners, bit more practical than the Fiesta.

Chevy Sonic RS Manual - Fiesta's lesser peer, deserves a mention.

Mazda 3 - probably the GTI's most direct competitor and does better in most ways except 1: power and torque.

There might be some more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Don't know about the new one but 4th gen GTI was great but a little slow. However you can get more power for cheap out of it. Mine is at 203 WHP with only an intercooler, CAI, 2.5" high-flow exhaust and a conservative tune.
The 5th gen GTI was quite a bit faster but I don't like it as much. Feels more brittle. My brother has one and he pushes about 250 WHP with similar mods.

One of the perks of working for a big dealership is I get to drive all that shit. I did a few GTI's, WRX's and I finally settled on a focus ST. The GTI is pretty stiff, but you can definitely mod it to go quicker than the other two. Interior quality isn't as nice as the ford, but better than the subaru.

If you like it, get it. That's an okay price. Just get ready for the >vw meme. It's real m8