Spanish Conquistadores

Were Spanish conquistadores fellon criminals or real soldiers?
>That would explain the massive rapes

Other urls found in this thread:

cigars-review.org/history.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah, they were mostly scum

Contrary to what you believe or have been told Rape is something that was common place even back then, just as it is now in war.

They taught me in school Spanish conquerors in America were like an ancient "SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger" made of criminals who wanted to clear their criminal record

social perception depends on the prevailing blood-sentiment

amount of accumulated power (wealth, affluence capital etc) x blood relations attached/associated /w such

>Kin altruism is altruistic behaviour whose evolution is driven by kin selection. Kin selection is an instance of inclusive fitness, which combines the number of offspring produced with the number an individual can produce by supporting others, such as siblings.

its how you amalgamate an empire, by killing all the men, and raping the women to replace the workforce with those more in alignment to your (masculine) credence, daughters must have sons as soon as possible, and so on and so forth

They were mostly veterans of the Italian Wars or Mediterranean pirates.

That soldier's equipment is anachronistic by about 20-30 years by the way.

They were a mix between the two. Some would've been nobodies, probably criminals, who wanted a chance of adventure and some would've been soldiers or people who would've been professionally trained and were payed.

They were all of the above and then some. They were essentially minor nobles and the people they knew and had working for them (even slaves). They were a very mixed bag looking for a name for themselves and advance socially looking for promises of treasures. They were a private enterprise, not always supported by the crown, in fact the crown thought many of their actions illegal. They also varied in ethnicity.

Most of conquistadores were originally criminals. The worst scum from Extremadura.

It's a great system, you get rid of criminals and create soldiers at the same time. Except for the ones who are invaded!

Rape happened commonly in that time. It wasn't unique to conquistadores. For example inhabitants of a city under siege were at complete mercy of the attackers if siege was successful and they often got raped and murdered.

For some reason there is this perception about early modern period that suddenly soldiers stopped raping and murdering people. When in reality one of the most brutal wars of history that was riddled with rape, murder and torture happened in early modern period.

did they contemporary European society react negatively to the Spanish way of conquering what would become latin america? I suppose the same question can be asked about the 30 years war and the treatment of civilians

>tfw you will never mass rape native american qts with your conquistador bros

>the one game where you should have been able to rape
>cant rape anyone
Bummer

>conquistador hentai game where you conquer loli native tribes never ever

Just thieves

how is that game anyway? I've had my eyes on it from time to time but never actually played it

remove loli and it 10/10

It's bad. One of the most boring Turn-based battle systems I've ever seen.

Thats not how you greentext you colossal retard

Yes they did. Many were not in agreement and I believe there was even a case hearing about this. Several conquistadors we're under trial too, either for abuse, disobedience and treason.

Poor bumfucks led by tyrants.

Yeah plenty did. Mostly along the lines of feeling pity for those gullible natives being tricked by semi moorish cunts.

In the 16th century those things were synonymous.

But lolis would be historical accurate.

>In the year 1500, Columbus wrote: “A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand.”

not entire tribes of them

[spoiler]oh god I'm getting little lamplight flashbacks[/spoiler]

conquistadors essentially a market development strategy utilising the existing products of steel & gunpowder europe in the new market of the new world

Original conquerors of Peru killed each other in disputes. There was even a war between Pizarro and Almagro.

every conquistador is a criminal. If is good for his nation is something different

>everyone raped eachother in the past
go back to reading ASOIAF

>One of the first references to the "laws of war", or "traditions of war" was by Cicero, who urged soldiers to observe the rules of war, since obeying the regulations separated the "men" from the "brutes". Conquering the riches and property of an enemy was regarded as legitimate reason for war in itself. Women were included with "property", since they were considered under the lawful ownership of a man, whether a father, husband, slave master, or guardian. In this context, the rape of a woman was considered a property crime committed against the man who owned the woman.[20]

The ancient Greeks considered war rape of women "socially acceptable behavior well within the rules of warfare", and warriors considered the conquered women "legitimate booty, useful as wives, concubines, slave labor, or battle-camp trophy".[20]

In the Middle Ages, and until the 19th century, this attitude and practice prevailed, and the legal protection of women in war time related indirectly to the legal protection women were granted in peace times

But he's right, and it still happens in war now.

Oh sorry, I misread. I thought he meant all the time, even in peacetime.

related research

so i was researching this stuff a while back, to kinda get a more realistic idea of the conditions people experienced in those times, admittedly, I don't really have any concrete resources, but it's a start.

One thing I noticed was this, the Spanish kept the name Cuba, even though it is a Taíno word. If they hated them so much, why not simply call Cuba "New Galicia" or something else more Spanish? Why keep an original name if the point is conquest? Just questions I have.

I also note that the Spanish knew a lot about the Taíno life, how they trapped, fished, prepared food, etc. They seemed to have a closer relationship than the typical war mentality idea we get.

researched further

So, what this makes me think is that either the Spanish taught the Taíno the word cimarrón, which was later corrupted to mean Seminole (Natives from Florida and Oklahoma).

Just an interesting note.

>EN
>M
Stop being a faggot and use ES

..eh?

He means use Spanish wikipedia.

Porque? This is a Chinese abacus training community.

>loli
Eh, thanks but no thanks.

>Italian Wars
Someone please redpill me on these. Such a big gap in my knowledge of history. On what scale were they fought? Was it a sort of pike and shot warfare? Were there canons? Guns? Fort breaches? Did they destroy the forts with canons?
Did they use the weird sword-pistol hybrids? How powerful were the italian city states on their own? Was this the main land conflict in europe of the 14-1500s?

further research

cigars-review.org/history.htm

indirect, but it sums up a brief history of native tobacco use and how Europeans (including conquistadors) developed a taste for it.

Fought by Spain and France to gain the supremacy over the Italian Peninsula, the Spanish victory assured the Spanish (and that of their Tercios) dominance for generations.

so did the italian states become like satellite states for spain or did they annex it directly?

Milan, Sicily, Naples and Sardinia became part of the Spanish Empire, and exerced a great influence over the rest of the penisula.
France worked to dismiss the Spanish hegemony and some minor Italian states tried to take advantage from such effort.
Venetia remained independant while Geneva began symbiotic relationship with Spain, the Papal States were trapped between Spanish holdings.

alright thanks

You are welcome.

Milan, Sicily, Naples and Sardinia became part of the Spanish Empire

Sicily & Naples had already been under Spanish kings for a century, mind

There were also quite a few third/fourth sons whom had no inheritance from their families

They were a lot like ISIS today, pretend is for religion but they just in for the raping and pillage

Remaining Aztec warriors and civilians fled the city as the Spanish forces continued to attack even after the surrender, slaughtering thousands of the remaining civilians and looting the city. The Spanish and Tlaxcalans did not spare women or children: they entered houses, stealing all precious things they found, raping and then killing women, stabbing children.[16] The survivors marched out of the city for the next three days.[1]

Based

>legitimate booty

damn right.

Pic related is from a History of Colonial Paraguay.

Paraguay is a country that has no pure natives, almost all the population is spanish-native mixed, with a minority of whites-brazilians-argentines, and 90% of the population is Spanish-Guarani bilingual.
It is a country in which the local Native American language is as widepread as Spanish.
It isnt rare for modern Paraguayans to speak Spanish-Guarani-Portuguese-English.

born in the wrong time

They were mostly Spanish soldiers who had previously fought in Italy.