First car purchase thread

Post questions about buying your first car.

Considering the new 2017 VW golf comfortline about 27k after taxes in Canada. What are its closest competitors and do recommend any other cars over it?

>First car
>Brand new
>Econobox

30grand on your first car? Are you retarded?

Spent $500 on mine got 100,000km out of it for no money other than has and insurance.

If your gunna drop 30grand on a car it better be fucking sick or else you are going to be living in debt forever.

Unless it's daddy's money than whatever why are you even asking us spoiled cunt.

buy a civic for 4-5k. 01-05 manuel. save your money for a house for the shit housing market.

>buying first car
>buying new
>buying VW shitbox

Like another user already said, if it's daddy's money then go fuck yourself and do as you please. If it's your own hard earned money there is a myriad of options that will give you better performance, or better comfort, or better reliability, or even all of them.

any opinions on the honda insight?

I'm gonna dd it so I need something reliable.

Dont make the mistake of buying a brand new car as your first one. Buy a used one thats like 3-5 years old, youll save 10-15k on a car you may possibly not like. Only way to know what you like is to drive more cars.

Op. Hers. I have 40 K saved up. I'm 25 and have a good job. But thanks guys for the tips and the classic 4 chans assumptions.

Anyways actual advice at which other cars I should look at. Model names? Year built?

civic for 3k

get a fucking shitbox as your first car jesus christ. something up to 5k. don't where you live but Audi A3, VW Golf, Peugeot 207, Saab 9-3, all of those from 2000-2004 are good choices and you should be able to find something decent in the up to 5k range.

you live in canada, fuck me im retarded

so yea, Saab, gold, a3, yaris or civic in the up to 5k range

Well, if I were to get a new-ish hatch, I'd get a Golf VII as well, so I applaud your choice.
However, have you considered something like a two year old GTI, or another high spec if you're not into performance? Highly optioned cars generally tends to depreciate a bit faster, so you could get a nice spec that somebody else has already taken the worst hit on. If you can find a one with a pre-owned warranty, there's a bit of safety in that too.
Competition-wise, I've only very brief experience with the Ford Focus and Mercedes A-Class, both of which were too cramped inside for me (Ford in the rear, Merc both front and rear), but if you're not tall, that might not matter to you. Ford rides and handles well.

don't listen to them op
VW econoboxes are great,def better than your average corolla or civic
t. polo owner

wow...wtf did they do to the Golf, looks ugly af now...

That''s an 'artist's impression', also known as educated guesswork. Pic related is actual 2017 model.

why would you spend 27k on a comfortline (which is just one trim above the basemodel) if you can spend 25k on a fully loaded 2015 model with low mileage? Not trying to be the typical "hurr get a 3k civic" user but atleast be a little smarter with your money.
If you REALLY want to buy a brand new 2017 golf, go all out and buy the GTI for 36k

I bought a 2016 Civic EX-T because I got a job out of state after uni and wasn't going to bring my 04 cavalier with 194k miles.

I like it, but if I had to do it again, I might have splurged a bit more and gotten the v6 accord.

Golf's don't really have competition in terms of refinement for a box.

They get expensive after warranty expires, do prepare yourself for this. Reliability is meh.

Golfs are a constant annoyance. There's never not something wrong with the car. Strange clicking here, weird rattling there, a leak or two in the middle. That shit happens all the time, and it's usually pretty damn expensive to repair - if they even find the issue.

Looks like a...boring golf.

Just buy a Golf 6 for like virtually no money , they are basically just as good , but they are stupid cheap . Save the rest for getting your own place . I'm just on the cusp of getting my own home and i am frothing at the mouth for every penny that i've wasted and got me those extra little minutes at work , away from my own pad .

I'm torn between getting a 2013-2015 Mustang GT and a decent mileage Audi B8 S4 as my first car purchase. All for under 35,000$ CAD.

rice fuccboi