What does Veeky Forums think of Jeep Cherokees?

What does Veeky Forums think of Jeep Cherokees?

Old ones were great but are impossible to find in good condition because everyone beat the shit out of them and no one restores them due to a lack of aftermarket parts.

Fiat-era ones are mediocre. Build quality isn't great but they're still a worthy buy with the V8 / 4 wheel drive. The past couple of years they have gotten exceeding gimmicky, over priced and odd looking.

Cherokee - awesome, had 2, never a problem
Grand Cherokee - too heavy for i6, v8 is shit
New Cherokee - dunno never owned one, looks fugly

XJ a good, ZJ OK, WK2 comfy but not at all offroady, KL is a smaller minivan

shit like all chrysler products.

At first I hated the look of the new generation but overtime it grew on me.

If customized right, you can make it look like the warthog from halo

Xj only Cherokee worth buying imo

The Cherokee Classic was awesome, with the straight 6 cylinder. My friend was driving down the highway at over 100km/h, he put it in reverse (I still don't know how he managed to screw up so bad) and nothing broke, and it only took a bit more than usual to start.

My dad used to have one of the old Cherokees.

It was pretty shit, the main memory I have of that shitbucket is that time the engine decided to ignite, leaving us all stranded on the beach.

Looks like the new Cherokees have had recalls for the exact same fucking reason - electrical fires.

Thanks, Chrysler. From one generation to the next, you can't make a car that doesn't fucking combust. Brilliant.

Not an MJ

not interested

Even the XJ and MJ were mutts of crippled AMC and Peugeot, they're better than mutts of Daimler/Chrysler or Chrysler/Fiat

>XJ cherokee
>Jeep
>Lack of aftermarket parts
u fockin wat m8

My landlord owns a 90s something Grand Cherokee with 300k on the odo, it's in immaculate condition except for some scuffs on the bumpers

he offered to sell it to me for 1500, hell naw

Can't ever find a good condition MJ up here for under $5k its a fucking shame its either 5k plus or beat to shit rotted out for about $1k.

Friend had a 1st or 2nd gen in highschool, fun to load up 8 or 9 people hang out

Why the fuck does the new cherokee have a 9 speed transmission?

Can someone please explain to me the thought process

>muh mpgs

My mom had a '96 Cherokee when I was a kid. Rolled down the ravine next to our driveway one day when she forgot to put on the parking break. Neighbour pulled it up with his Econoline. Started right up.

XJ a best.

I wish I wasn't so tall otherwise I would own one. FJ80 is a good substitute though.

Generally this would mean the engine has a very narrow power band and would perform woefully with a normal 5 or 6 speed auto.

flogging the guts out of a pissweak motor.. what could possibly go wrong!

>pic not related

The XJ is the only jeep I care about, anything else can eat a dick.

Thoughts on Grand Cherokee WJ, WK, and Liberty KJ?

Looking for comfy/plush seats winter DD. Subaru Outback seems to be a common recommendation, but I don't know if I'll enjoy working on a boxer engine. Also looking at 4Runners and Explorers.

Wtf I love Jeep now

Hurr durr their all have Cherokee in the name

I fucking hate people who can't tell the dicking difference, makes searching for xjs harder than needed.

Wk is poop.
Wj might be o.k. the 4.7 is hit or miss. 4.0 is a bit underpowered but reliable. It's mated to a so-so auto tranny.

how is the 4.0l underpowered? 190hp and 305Nm of torque is pretty good for a car the size of the xj.

>I wish I wasn't so tall otherwise I would own one.
How tall are you? I'm 6'5 280lbs and I fit with room to spare

He was talking about the i6 in the WJ because it almost weighs 1000 lbs more than the XJ, but I've driven the WJs with a 4.0 and the 4.7, and while the 6 isn't as fast, it's still decent in it

As far as the tranny is concerned, I thought the WJ used the AW4 for the i6 just like the XJ, right?

SJ is best Cherokee

>As far as the tranny is concerned, I thought the WJ used the AW4 for the i6 just like the XJ, right?
4.0 in the wj, and zj i think, use the 42re.
the 545rfe's used in the 4.7s are rock solid. A fucking outstanding transmission with durability that harkens back to the old 727 days. Unfortunately its mated to a 4.7 which can either be very dependable, or lots of issues. The heads are weak, one overheat and its fucked, and the engine doesn't tolerate deferred maintenance.

The 4.7 in my Dakota now has over 250k miles
the 4.7 in my wk blew at 170k. The remanufactured engine i put in is acting up.
The 545rfe transmissions in both the above are fine, the one in the wk now having 350k+ miles.

the top left is an xj Cherokee, all the others are grand Cherokees, only worth is old one
>tfw old ones are beat to shit or broken.

Top right is the new Cherokee dingus

Gran Cherokee 1997 /RED/
Best car I ever had,never let's me down
(Yes it does breakdown every few years) but that's to be expected from such a old,used car
10/10 souls love to get a 0km replica

*would

XJ is the GOAT unibody suv. The rest are mediocre.

Cherokee means XJ. If you want a Renix era they're all clapped out, nearly. Tons of Sport and Classic still available that look near mint and require minor restomodding and interior repairs. Chrysler pre-97 are still swimming around in okay numbers. Fairly beat, usually. Aftermarket isn't super-duper great if you're not looking for offroad parts but OEM pulloffs still flood eBay and similar options.

I don't like WJ. Too much trim, too much electrical, too Chrysler. They're usually not I6 either.

ZJ is alright. Can be done well. Uninteresting.

Fuck of with the KL if it's not an SRT. Too expensive and not a fucking cherokee.

t. Longbed MJ owner.

I dig XJs. wish they were body on frame but for how stupid cheap they can be had whos complaining. you can buy an XJ, welder, DOM, and cage it for less than SAS'ing a 2nd gen 4runner.

Love mine, have a '99 XJ with the 4.0 w/ 239,XXX miles and still rolling strong, hat the mileage above 65mph though

Upgraded the trans cooler yet if AW4?

Haven't had to, not towing and rarely go offroading

Highway driving can do it too. My MJ AW4 likes to heat up if I'm on the interstate.

This is why you use a relay harness in an XJ, folks. Your headlight wiring went.

Nigger mobiles like all dodge and Chrysler vehicles

I really fucking want an XJ for off roading

Huh. I'm only 6'3''. I remember it feeling cramped when I test drove a few two years ago. I was dead set on it a Cherokee until that too.

It just feels too small to me compared to what I have now.

Also let me add. I'm not just taking about the driver seat, but the back area where I sleep when I go offroading.

only comanche is applicable

I'm a fat fuck and fit comfy in an XJ, fuck's sake man how big are you?,

Not big at all. 185lbs.

Then you have issues with spatial relationships