So Veeky Forumstists, how hard was it for you to learn manual? wanna get a car soon after I pass my road test...

so Veeky Forumstists, how hard was it for you to learn manual? wanna get a car soon after I pass my road test, but being outside of europe I pretty much have no way to learn manual, so I gotta do it myself in car I buy.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>bought car from trusted family friend
>manual
>friend gives 20 minute lesson in the cauldesec
>drive to work the next morning

>buy first car with dad
>he knows manual so he drives it home
>spend next couple days brapping around neighborhood for a couple laps at a time
>eventually get the hang of it enough to venture out to larger roads
practice makes perfect mane, just stay on small residential streets or empty parking lots at first

> bought car
> first manual
> drive through heavy city traffic on the way home until I can learn to not stall

>third world country in the Andes

Bitch please, EVERYONE here knows how to drive manual. Bus drivers, cabbies, truck drivers, sluts, bros, dumbasses, literally everyone. It's all due to early automatic cars not being suitable for the incredibly steep hills here and being too expensive but even today, when slushbuxes have improved and are cheaper, the majority of cars here are manual.

If third world dumb sudakas can do it, you can do it, user.

Easy as fuck to learn. Took me about a day to get the general hang of it. I don't bother with rev matching or any of that but have never had a problem.
Other than the occasional stall because I'm too lazy to down shift sometimes its bretty easy

It took me literally a year to git gud in my own eyes. I was passable after a month or so, but for this I was a slow learner. Now every shift at every rpm is silky smooth.

that's easy to say when everybody knows it there and therefore can teach it to eachother, almost fucking no one knows it here in canada, same as US, but I'll follow the advice in this thread anyway and pick up a 5 speed corolla or something.

>find local hill
>do a hill start
>repeat 30 times
>???
>profit

well my house is located on a large hill, so, that's gonna be necessary

Takes about a day to learn not to stall. A few months of DD and you'll be pretty good.

There are tons of good tips in this thread: (boards.Veeky Forums.org/o/thread/16204119). And the fact everybody knows doesn't mean they're good teaching it, not even that they're particularly good at doing it.

Still, I envy you Canadafag. I fucking hate my country...

you may have trump and crime but at least you have an economy

>taught how to drive manual at like 18
>drive auto shitboxes for most of life
>buy manual car 3 days ago at 25 cause fuck it
>get it home, only stall it once
>miracle
>park it
>go to drive to the store the next day
>take 40 minutes to do a proper hill start
>burn the clutch on the way
>busy af parking lot
>stall 3 times stopping for foot traffic trying to get to the empty side of the lot
>park, get food, come back
>make it home after some more driving
>park
>next day wet AF, decide not to take the car out for more driving, hoping its dry rest of week so I can practice more

I'm still getting used to it but honestly the hardest thing for me has been getting into first fast enough to get up a hill.

Takes practice. I'll probably get the hang of it in a week or two if the weather isn't absolute garbage.

Just bought my first manual car (Miata) last Sunday morning and ended up watching some tutorials on Youtube to learn how to drive manual.
My driving isn't too bad it's just not smooth enough for my standards yet.
I started on major roads like a retard so my advice is to drive in a small neighborhood for now.
Also get to know the bite point of the clutch and how sensitive your throttle is before you go drive.
Good luck user

I had it down in 10 minutes because I rode dirtbikes as a kid.

If you can figure out how to heel-toe on hill starts, that's what I do.

Minimizes the time your foot is off the brake in which you roll backward, but definitely need to spend some time practicing the footwork with the engine off before you try it.

about a day. The next day I was rocking the traffic in an uphill with a rusty shitbox

enjoy burning your clutch

jeez then find a shitbox you don't care about and practice with it if you're too mentally challenged to operate a clutch.

enjoy burning the clutch of the shitbox you dont care about
enjoy paying for tow

A week to get in the streets, a month to be comfortable, a year to master it, continuously aiming to get better

I can certainly give it a shot. Unsure if my pedals are in a good position for it, or if my foot is large enough with where they are. I've been told I can just bring the clutch to the bite point and then take my foot off the brake, since the creep from first gear should be enough to hold position, but I was unsuccessful in doing this the first time around.

>just bring the clutch to the bite point and then take my foot off the brake, since the creep from first gear should be enough to hold position

That's gonna depend on a couple variables, user.

>incline
>weight
>engine

just becuase your clutch makes a bit of a smell for a few seconds doesn't mean your clutch is dead lmao
lrn 2 car

Learn the bare-bones basics from someone.

Practice on your own with nobody in the car to distract you.

After the first week of owning a manual, I stopped stalling, and haven't since.

Read, nigger, read. There are a lot of "for dummies" rundowns and intros to manual, and they've almost all got something useful to be learned from them.

engage the hand brake when you're stopped on a hill.
slowly release the clutch until you feel it bite
let the hand brake off
move up hill without rolling back
profit

>variables this depends on
incline: steep
weight: ~2700lbs
engine: 4cyl

I should probably just heel-toe. It'll probably be better to just get that down in the long run.

>t. no car kid

Listen to this guy I'm in a similar situation, also 25 but first time with a manual car, and I also live on a really steep hill.

Pull the handbrake just enough so you can easily disengage it when you feel the car ever so slightly start to pull.
Makes for a really smooth start on a hill with absolutely no roll-back.

Not very.

>ride motorcircle for a couple of years
>get car license, have lessons in modern manual car
>wow it's fucking nothing.jpg
>get own car
>this clutch feels different but ok
>????
>profit

Learn your friction point and learn it well.

OP just remember that speeds are cyclical. If you're in 6th and your car is rev'd up just change back to 1st

My father taught me how to drive stick at age 15 with a 1996 chevy tracker. I took a little bit to get used to but knowing how to drive manual is something that I think every driver should know.

WELL THE JERK STORE CALLED AND THEY'RE RUNNING OUT OF YOU

This

I only ended up stalling twice, once on the large hill which was the entry/exit into the dealership and once in a restaurant parking lot I stopped at before I went home because I couldn't be assed to make anything.

Hey op, I'll share with you couple of "secrets" the driving instructor told me years ago.

First, your nominal rpm is 2000. This means when you need to make the car move in either direction, that's where you put the gas pedal. Muscle memory, learn that pedal position. It's a starting point. You'll find later the exceptions on your own.

Second, the clutch friction point many have mentioned already. You learn that too. When you want to start moving, bring to friction point, let off the brake, push gas pedal to nominal rpm, let the clutch catch a little bit more and keep it slipping. Let it slip for about a car's length, until you have enough speed and can bring clutch up completely and be on your way. It takes a few moments. Higher gears work the same: clutch in, change gear, bring to friction point, few moments of slip, let clutch up.

Downshifting works the same, you don't have to use throttle to rev match, but you have to feel the clutch and let the rpm match before full connection.

I was told to shift down through all gears when slowing down. This is to avoid shifting into too low gear by accident. You remain in control of the rpm and can use engine braking comfortably.

Don't coast on neutral. You gain nothing and only lose ability to control speed via engine braking.

And now that out of the way, if you are new to stick, the first exercise is learning to crawl. That means moving the car slower than idle rpm on 1st or reverse gear would take you. You need this in slow traffic and parking. How this works is you put the gas pedal to your nominal rpm and keep it there. Then you use the clutch pedal to control the speed. Keep it slipping. That's all there is to it. When you master this, you have the clutch and gas pedal figured out and everything else comes naturally.

Oh and if the car is moving forward while you try to change to reverse and hear horrible sound, it just means the reverse gear isn't syncro'd like the rest, so stop first.

>not learning clutchless shifting
>not launching the car with starter

Are you some kind of a faggot?

If you want to start on an incline, there are two ways of doing it. If your car's strong enough to hold and pull a bit, just let the clutch out until your tach shows a slight dip in RPMs, move your right foot from the brake to the accelerator and give it some gas as you let out the clutch further.

When I'm driving something like a Miata with no low end torque, I pull up the E-brake but keep my thumb on the button. Now let the clutch out until you see the RPMs dropping a little bit, slowly drop the e-brake as you give it gas to about 2k RPMs and let the clutch out.

It was very easy actually. Went to a dealership when I was 17. Told the salesman that my parents were buying me a Cobra when I graduated and I wanted to test drive it. Guy took me to an open parking lot and showed me how to drive manual. Pretty good day.

A few tips: Don't worry about killing it. It's going to happen and the car won't get destroyed because you stalled the car.

When you start the car for the first time, make sure the parking brake is off, put it into first, let off the brake pedal, and ease up off the clutch slowly. When you feel the car start to move then you know where the clutch engages. And that's when you ease into the gas.

First gear will be the gear that takes you the longest to get used to, every gear after that is cake.

And enjoy yourself. No need to get nervous.

>make sure the parking brake is off

>manuals
>parking brake

fuck off

Golden rule:
More throttle, slower release on the clutch

Not hard at all. Dad brought me to big empty computer train parking lot and we started off slow. Kept driving there until I was comfortable changing gears. Only ever stalled once at a traffic light.

What need is there to be so autistic about literally nothing?

>not launching a miata in a 40% incline without hand brake and burnout
They have plenty of torks to get moving easily uphill.
Rented one for a week with a manual after only driving auto for a couple years and only stalled once and made an unintentional burnout once, both within the first ten minutes after picking it up.
At the end of the week I was close to using heel-toe while braking. Got the rev matching down, but running shoes had too thick sole in the rear to heel-toe.

OP it's really easy. Just read up on the theory of how it works, then you can figure out in the car how it's applied in practise.

Get a logitech wheel with 3 pedals and a stick and a racing sim.

Easy as fuck imo. I live in a third world shithole so i started driving stick since i was like 14. Just drive a lot.

>bring to biting point
Like other anons mentioned, it depends on weight, engine and gradient but I'll conservatively say you will stall like that.
Werks on non-shitbox or diesels when pretty much flat, but my 1.3l shitbox will stall unless I pull the clutch out veeeeeeerrrrryyyyyy slowly, and if anyone is behind I'll get frustrated beeps. No good for pulling out side roads either.

Try this:
>have handbrake on
>put in first, clutch around bite point
>pull handbrake up and hold, ready to drop
>give some gas, not more than 1.5-2k rpm
If its steep and dry (or you have 4wd) you can go a bit higher if needed.
>once you feel ready/some pull, drop the handbrake a bit slower than normal
>give a bit more gas while you set off and ease off clutch

Bit easier to hold the handbrake like that, I've seen people do the biting point and as soon as they give gas they go to release handbrake asap and they wouldn't be ready to compensate for rpm drops so they stall.

Also this
Its better to give gas than pull out clutch fast, an extra second won't burn the clutch famalam.

What do you think that lever invetween the seats is? Do you leave it down and keep it in first? That's dumb.

Yeah, the 1.8 might have enough torque, but the 1.6 wont even pull without stalling on a flat road if you don't pull the clutch out very slowly.

I have to ask, when shifting into second and higher gears, is it a quick shift as in quickly letting go of the clutch pedal? How do I avoid the jerking?

More gas

Veeky Forums really needs a sticky for anons wanting to learn stick

WRX 2015.

Such a shit gearbox, you can never shift smoothly in that car. It was easy thought,

I'm literally retarded and it only took me a week to not stall it anymore.

>by letting go when the rpm drops to where it should be instead of just immedately dumping the clutch. listen to other people drive a shift and you can hear the space inbetween shifts where the rpm drops before they release

by rev matching. the worse the rev matching the longer you need to let the clutch slip to avoid jerking, when you rev matched perfectly you can release the clutch instantly and it wont jerk. you just have to get a feeling for what the engine revs are at a certain speed in a certain gear. you'll get used to it.

Okay so, i got a shitbox mazda 3 2.3l. When i am in 2nd or 1st and like i'm off the gas a bit than come off the peddle kind of fast. The car fucking jerks and it's pretty unsettling. Is it just the throttle response in those lower gears or what?

this and i also worked on cars/bikes before my license so i had a very good idea of how they worked
every one i teach i always have them learn the general idea of what a clutch and tranny do makes life alot eaiser

probably engine/gearbox mounts or suspension bushes. or a throttle pedal sensor problem (less likely)

So bad you switched to something else? Or just below your expectations?

Shit i have the exact same problem with my shitbox, pls do tell solution

The car also feels different when i put a full tank of gas in it opposed to half a tank or less. Like, it changes how smooth my shiftknob physically shifts not like the way the clutch grabs or anything. But just the way the shifter feels. It's fucking weird honestly.

Just bought my first manual. The dealer made a huge deal about the stage 3 clutch being great for people learning because they can take a beating. Did I got had?

>polish driving test
>learned driving manual step by step with a good teacher
>2 weeks passed by
>driving only manual
>having fun shifting, shittybox gets me bored
>profit?

downshift feels good man

You will need so much more force to push in the clutch than a lower stage or an OEM clutch, it's probably gonna be harder to get the hang of since clutch operation will be more difficult to do in general, but every other clutch you use will probably feel like feathers.

I had no issue hill starting on my 70hp Fiesta. So even with barely any torque at all you can still start just using the brake, (depending on the hill) you just need to be somewhat quick on the transition between the brake and the gas.

Ain't no shame in using the handbrake though.

Took me about a month to be okay enough. Still made a few mistakes here and there. Now I drive it like second nature (its been almost two years)

I can't do handbrake starts. I just keep my foot on the brake then bring the clutch up to bite point and quickly switch to the accelerator. There's too much going on for me if i use the handbrake.

Being quick is the difficult part for me at the moment, I'm just not fast enough with what I'm doing.

I managed to get up the hill with a handbrake start, after some prior thought to what actions needed to be done in what order.

>Pulled out the driveway (onto the road instead of the grass because traction is important)
>Clutch in, brake pedal, shift knob to first
>Handbrake on, pedal brake off
>Held revs at 2k
>Let out the clutch, car lurches forward barely an inch
>Drop handbrake, lurch forward a little bit but definitely in first
>Cruise up the hill no problem

Now I just gotta do this 400 more times until I can do it without taking a minute to think about it.

All the friendly user help has made this so much less stressful.

Just try and not hold the clutch at 2k RPM for prolonged amounts of time, because that will break it at some point.Giving it a bit less gas and having a better feel for the bite point will make this a lot easier.

There's no need to do handbrake starts if you can already start without using the handbrake. Unless the hill is extremely steep, you're fine not using the handbrake ever.

Using the handbrake is kind of a last resort, or an alternative if you can't do it with the foot brake. Just don't be ashamed if you need to use to handbrake.

Besides, hill starting is literally the hardest part about driving (a manual), so if you've got that down, you're good to go.

Thanks, i'm working on it. Only thing that makes it a lot harder for me is some rubber mount component, either engine mounts, trans mounts, or subframe/diff mounts which is causing the car to clunk from the rear and jerk back and forth violently if i start it the littlest bit wrong or get on the throttle too quickly. BMW e46 320i, the issue is definitely not the subframe as i've had a look and couldnt see any cracks.

I went to one of those driver training places and asked if they teach manual.
20$ for a 2 hour lesson and i was good to go.

Don't blame engine mounts unless they are blown all the way out ( feel trans move w/shifter or visibly see engine lurch when throttle is applied)

Just gotta get some seat time

I've been driving stick for 5 years and I still can't really shift smoothly. Every once in a while I'll get that perfect shift, but most of the time it doesn't feel good.

Gear 1 to Gear 2 is usually awful. I drive a Porsche 944S and a Mazda 5.

I started last week. After 2 tanks of gas, I'm finally not stalling anymore. The key is to drive around at 3am. No traffic, green lights, no police. That's how I build confedence.

It's not.
You're max gonna stall like three or four times in the first week if you're not a complete fuckwit.

is it bad to apply a little bit of gas and then slowly release the clutch for a 1st gear start at a stop? I was told to slowly apply gas while slowly let go of the clutch for every shift, but doing it my way prevents lurching at a stop and go

im buying my first car soon
actually my dad doesnt have one so family car too
literally everyone i know is saying get an automatic
theyre getting annoying
i just want a manual theyre more fun
the local site for a used golf 5 1.9 automatic is 2 years older and 1100 euro more expensive than the manual version i found on the same site
like holy shit how do i make them understand manuals arent that dangerous

>family only had autos to learn in
>friend has shitbox manual excel i drove a couple of times
>get license
>buy manual aw11
>pretty much learn on the way home

if you're buying a car for your family then grab the auto, manual transmissions aren't for everyone

if you're buying it for yourself then fuck em and grab the manual. you'll learn the basics in 30 mins or less. you'll just need to build the confidence to drive on crowded roads

well its my car but will be used on trips to the beach during summer and shit
its their money anyway if they dont want me driving a manual ill just get an automatic
it just seems a waste of 1000 euro just for something you would learn in a month with practice.

Thanks for the advice. It's not been anything too difficult to handle. Coming from a bike is the biggest issue there. Not much clutch finnesse on a car like a bike

You might want to check which Toyota transmissions are prone to 5th gear pop out, or 5th gear vibration. Make sure none of that shows up on a road test. Also I've heard the 5 speed in the Toyota Matrix/ Pontiac Vibe is failure prone.

I still drive it, but compared to my dad's 370Z, it is working class.

>Drives a beater 1985 Suzuki Samurai for learning manual
>Kills it multiple times before getting the hang of the clutch release and perfect gas ratio
>Drive it around the yard a while before venturing further into the woods
>Learn how to engage 4 wheel drive for ultimate redneck experience
>Meanwhile no power steering, shit was fucking intense

Ypu can shift smithy because the stock.map has gnarley rev hang. Get a cobb tuner and run their shelf map. Then you read to actually mid it cause you have the tuner already when you have money for mods.

Stock map is fucking trash on the 15 wrx

I really don't get automatic transmission.
What happens if something crashes into your window and you pop unconscious?
A manual will stall, but an automatic will just keep driving until it runs out of gas or until you crash into something else and you die.
It's not a very common occurrence, but still, it's better to be safe and spend literally 30 minutes to learn how to use it.

was forced to teach myself or walk home without the car I bought.
>go used car shopping with grandfather
>he test drives car
>I buy it
>he drives home
>leaves me to learn for myself
>pull into driveway about 30min later
>he is waiting and laughing his ass off.

>go buy car out of state with friend
>he does all the negotiating and does the driving
>pulls into plaza and has me drive all the way home

>mom and dad split when I was 3
>me an mom move far away from dad
>She lets him see me for the summer
>he drives 8 hours one way every year to get me
>be 14
>Going to dad's for winter this year
>"It's time for you to learn to drive son"
>dad had majestic 90s Toyota Sr5 V6 pick up that gleamed in the driveway
>We leave town and head for the logging roads
>Snow falls as I stare out the passenger window wondering what it is going to feel like to become a man
>we go down a desolate road in the middle of the wilderness surrounded by endless trees
>Dad comes to a stop, we switch
>dad gives clear and simple instructions
>I shift into first and let out the clutch for the first time, we smoothly glide forward
>Clutch in, shift to second, the beautiful chariot I control responds to my every thought
>we drive on as snowflakes the size of poker chips float through the sky in a yirgin landscape
>I am a man now