Cruelty in war

Veeky Forums
What army had the cruelest soldiers?

>Pillage, rape, crimes against civilianz and surrendered soldiers, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe
youtube.com/watch?v=8wY-NjdQxgI&t=38m0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mongols made it a part of their tactics

Vikings?

The Assyrians.

The Palace at Nineveh has a relief of Assyrian soldiers ripping fetuses out of pregnant women.

The Imperial Japanese Army.

Not even being ironic.

Assyrians, no question. Other militaries have come close now and again but the fucking Assyrians kept it up for literal centuries.

These.

faculty.uml.edu/ethan_Spanier/Teaching/documents/CP6.0AssyrianTorture.pdf

“The king, who acts with the support of the great gods his lords and has conquered all lands, gained dominion over all highlands and received their tribute, captures of hostages, he who is victorious over all countries.”

“The nobles [and] elders of the city came out to me to save their lives. They seized my feet and said: ‘If it pleases you, kill! If it pleases you, spare! If it pleases you, do what you will!’”

“I flayed as many nobles as had rebelled against me [and] draped their skins over the pile [of corpses]; some I spread out within the pile, some I erected on stakes upon the pile … I flayed many right through my land [and] draped their skins over the walls.”

“I felled 50 of their fighting men with the sword, burnt 200 captives from them, [and] defeated in a battle on the plain 332 troops. … With their blood I dyed the mountain red like red wool, [and] the rest of them the ravines [and] torrents of the mountain swallowed. I carried off captives [and] possessions from them. I cut off the heads of their fighters [and] built [therewith] a tower before their city. I burnt their adolescent boys [and] girls.”

“In strife and conflict I besieged [and] conquered the city. I felled 3,000 of their fighting men with the sword … I captured many troops alive: I cut off of some their arms [and] hands; I cut off of others their noses, ears, [and] extremities. I gouged out the eyes of many troops. I made one pile of the living [and] one of heads. I hung their heads on trees around the city.”

we see an Assyrian soldier grasping the hand and arm of a captured enemy whose other hand and both feet have already been cut off. Dismembered hands and feet fly through the scene. Severed enemy heads hang from the conquered city’s walls. Another captive is impaled on a stake, his hands and feet already having been cut off. In another detail, we see three stakes, each driven through eight severed heads, set up outside the conquered city. A third detail shows a row of impaled captives lined up on stakes set up on a hill outside the captured city. In an inscription from Shalmaneser III’s father, Ashurnasirpal II, the latter tells us, “I captured soldiers alive [and] erected [them] on stakes before their cities.”

“Nabû-ushabshi, their king, I hung up in front of the gate of his city on a stake. His land, his wife, his sons, his daughters, his property, the treasure of his palace, I carried off. Bit-Amukâni I trampled down like a threshing (sledge). All of its people, (and) its goods, I took to Assyria.”

a king of Urartu, threatened by Sargon II, committed suicide: “The splendor of Assur, my lord, overwhelmed him [the king of Urartu] and with his own iron dagger he stabbed himself through the heart, like a pig, and ended his life.”

“I cut their throats like lambs. I cut off their precious lives (as one cuts) a string. Like the many waters of a storm, I made (the contents of) their gullets and entrails run down upon the wide earth. My prancing steeds harnessed for my riding, plunged into the streams of their blood as (into) a river. The wheels of my war chariot, which brings low the wicked and the evil, were bespattered with blood and filth. With the bodies of their warriors I filled the plain, like grass. (Their) testicles I cut off, and tore out their privates like the seeds of cucumbers.”

“Forty-six of [Hezekiah’s] strong walled towns and innumerable smaller villages... I besieged and conquered.... As for Hezekiah, the awful splendor of my lordship overwhelmed him.”

Sennacherib was murdered by his own sons. Another son, Esarhaddon, became his successor. As the following examples show, Esarhaddon treated his enemies just as his father and grandfather had treated theirs: “Like a fish I caught him up out of the sea and cut off his head,” he said of the king of Sidon; “Their blood, like a broken dam, I caused to flow down the mountain gullies”; and “I hung the heads of Sanduarri [king of the cities of Kundi and Sizu] and Abdi-milkutti [king of Sidon] on the shoulders of their nobles and with singing and music I paraded through the public square of Nineveh.”

“Their dismembered bodies I fed to the dogs, swine, wolves, and eagles, to the birds of heaven and the fish in the deep…. What was left of the feast of the dogs and swine, of their members which blocked the streets and filled the squares, I ordered them to remove from Babylon, Kutha and Sippar, and to cast them upon heaps.”

When Ashurbanipal didn’t kill his captives he “pierced the lips (and) took them to Assyria as a spectacle for the people of my land.”

“The sepulchers of their earlier and later kings, who did not fear Assur and Ishtar, my lords, (and who) had plagued the kings, my fathers, I destroyed, I devastated, I exposed to the sun. Their bones (members) I carried off to Assyria. I laid restlessness upon their shades. I deprived them of food-offerings and libations of water.”

There is no reason to doubt the historical accuracy of these portrayals and descriptions. Such punishments no doubt helped to secure the payment of tribute—silver, gold, tin, copper, bronze and iron, as well as building materials including wood, all of which was necessary for the economic survival of the Assyrian empire.

maybe this, at least in modern times. They really do not like Koreans. Or Chinese, they gassed the shit outta them

I can't speak for all armies of all times but the japanese imperial army strategy was to scare enemies through horrific acts. Rape of Nanking as a good example.

Imperial Japanese Army had no restraints, Korean pleasure women who were essentially human fleshlights, lines of chinese heads on spikes at conquered cities. Unit 731 being a research center for bioligical war. They would infect a person with a disease then cut their body open (no anesthetics) to watch the disease do its work in real time.

this is comically vicious, though it makes sense since they were created by god to punish the Judeans

>The Imperial Japanese Army.

Why single out the army? Navy did the same shit.

Jesus thats fucking brutal. This kind of brutality was pretty widespread throughout the world, but from what I've read, the assyrians revelled in it.

Why is it written so weird with al the [and]'s

To make the text understandable to English speakers, the missing words are added between square brackets.

Vikings were fucking brutal as fuck they would like rip you open with their bare hands and rape the wound.

Tamerlane's army? You don't cut through 17 million people in that short of a time without being pretty savage

holy moly read a book

Yeah and it's funny how despite systematic brutality they faced shitload of rebellions and finally fell because of rebellion.
Brutality as a policy doesn't work.

How do we know this is not simply an overexaggeration and propoganda?

>Rape of Nanking as a good example.

There is zero proof it happened though

easily rome spack spun fucked out on lead poisoning and all the other disasterous shit in that empire

>alchemy is a hell of a drug

???

Thanks for your two cents... Here's your fifty.

Apart from the diaries of John Rabe? And the other mountains of evidence?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe

Read the pdf and draw your own conclusions.

Worked for a long ass time.

Will work as long as you can make good on the threats. If not, you're fucked anyway, nice or not.

youtube.com/watch?v=8wY-NjdQxgI&t=38m0s

Elamites BTFO

>Deny something so badly that even your allies dont even cover the fact that your shit was fucked up.

Man, Japan sucks at lying.