Rx7 fc3s electrical gremlins

Looking for any suggestions towards this issue...

When I turn my key into accessory or on, I am having no feedback. My battery has plenty of power and I can operate headlights, hazards, and interior lights, but turning the key does nothing. This happened as I was driving... the car just shut off and I haven't been able to do anything since.

I have checked all fuses, relays, and grounds with no luck. I checked the lock cylinder hookups with a DMM and it still seems to be getting power. Not really too sure where to go from here.

any help is appreciated

drift harder and replace your apex seals and youll be fine

Apex seals were recently replaced, its a shame that wonky electrics are keeping me down.

You know what to do.

Is there power coming out of the ignition?

there is power running to the ignition cylinder, but the amperage doesn't change when I turn the key

wait these are only a 4 cylinder engine? i thought they were like a v8 or something from the sound.

Yes but there should be power coming out to the fuse block, ecu, etc.
If not then you could have a bad ignition switch.
If power IS coming out, you have other issue.

its a 2-rotor single turbo

okay that must be it because I could only get an amperage reading from the leading power wire. I was reading up on the forums and apparently the ignition switch is garbage, but I wanted to try and rule everything else out before I buy one.

They arent easy to get off the column.
Smack it with a hammer to see if power comes back on.
Even if it regains power, dont trust it.
When or if you replace it, use bolts. Dont try to replace the factory studs.

it has 4 sparkplugs though?

how much work goes into putting rotary engines into cars anyway, and why bother?

The ignition switch is total garbage from a fellow FC owner. I would check by your pedals for a shitty aftermarket immobilizer. Also, the clutch safety switch, though if your voltage doesn't change then this probably isn't it.

What else was happening when it stopped working? Our cars are notorious for grounding issues.

>
>it has 4 sparkplugs though?
Leading and trailing for a complete burn
>how much work goes into putting rotary engines into cars anyway, and why bother?
They are easy engines. Very simple to work on. Make good power. Blah blah. I feel like youre leading me to bait.

rotary engines are significantly smaller, lighter, and simpler than a reciprocating engine. They have very few moving parts. Very very smooth and great engines if you take care of them.

Plus for the size, you cant get more power elsewhere (for the most part). Mine is a 1.3 liter and puts down 265hp to the wheels on the stock turbo, fuel pump, and injectors.

Yeah it needs them to fully ignite that huge load of fuel and air
They use much less material than a piston engine- let alone a piston engine that could put out the same power as one. We're talking 400+ lbs of difference here, of course with some exceptions. That's huge. The weight is also low down and before the front axle, making it front mid-engine which is great for handling. No valve train means a lot less to go wrong, and though they have their own quirks, they are easy and cheap to rebuild and you can't really blow up the block like a piston, you would just blow a seal and lose power. Worst case scenario you scrape a rotor housing and buy a new one. Oh, and when rebuilding, you can port the housings out to make stupid power for free.

Don't think there is any immobilizer, just the stock alarm; car was bone stock when I got it. Would the clutch safety switch keep it from going into accessory mode though?

I was just casually cruising around for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden, everything just shut down.

Oh I missed that part. It's the ignition switch. Take it off and bench test it or find what wires to bridge for accessory and see if that works. The safety switch just stops it from cranking over.

Seems like I should've asked "why do piston engines exist". I mean Christ. Imagine if more manufacturers used these engines and developed them...

Problem with rotary engines is their emissions and fuel economy. Even if I'm on the highway cruising, I never see more than 15mpg. They also naturally consume a fair bit of oil because oil is injected directly into the rotor housing to provide lubrication. I did away with this oil metering pump and now I have to put premix into my tank at every fillup.

>RR conversion RX7 FC

okay, I'll have to try this. I'm in New England so I've been forced to work out in the cold, I'm very eager to get it started

>FRAM Filter
>why

Nice rebuild tho

-get your battery load tested
-confirm your battery is the correct group size for the car
-test your starter/starter solenoid

was put on by the shop that rebuilt and ported the block, it has a K&N on there now

>Even if I'm on the highway cruising, I never see more than 15mpg
you definitely should be seeing more. you stay under 3800rpm right?

Battery is brand new and the correct size for the car. Testing the starter and the solenoid is one of the things I am going to do next.

Sounds like a good idea for a sportscar. I looked it up and they don't burn any more oil than any car I've ever driven. The mileage is about the same as a 911 turbo or Viper. This doesn't sound so bad for a hard driven car

Good luck user

Yeah this, the turbo II can get 20+ MPGs mixed tuned right, no worse than an NA to be honest

its because I don't have a wideband hooked up yet and the car is tuned for higher boost on the stock turbo. I have a fueltech computer in the car now. I need to throw more money at it in the spring to make it a little more refined.

Thanks for your help

oh i see

and you really can drive them hard. Mazda actually instructs the driver to hit redline occasionally when driving the car. They can really take a beating, I routinely get mine up to 8k rpm

wew.

many braps and good apex seals to you bro.

No problem. That is one clean FC bro. I want a cleaner one but I need to scratch the itch for an FD
This is true. I red line my car multiple times every time I drive it.

no red suns sticker?

Thats an impreza tho

2006 impreza for my daily driver. It hauled the engine with ease and its really fun to rip along the dirt roads up here