2000 impreza

Veeky Forums, what are your thoughts on the 2000 Impreza rs? I'm looking for fun car that I can dd for now and eventually turn into something better later on. I live on the east coast so 4wd is pretty useful

Other urls found in this thread:

allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ive heard bad things m8

>Headgaskets
>Rust
>$5000 for a car with no quarter panels and 220,000 miles because I KNOW WHAT I GOT NO LOWBALLERS
>Can unironically buy a 02-05 WRX for what most 2.5RSs go for

shit

Don't. The EJ25 makes more power than the EJ22 on paper but the smaller 2.2 is actually more fun to drive (better powerband). That and and better mileage and no headgasket problems.

A 2.5RS starts around 5k for a project and a base L model Impreza or even an Outback Sport (also 2.2, just flashier trim) tops out at ~4k for a pristine example.

In shirt you're buying into a bad meme. If you insist go all in and buy a WRX.

>I KNOW WHAT I GOT NO LOWBALLERS
I will give a fiver, a handjob and a kidney to the first sucker who've gotten a good deal off an advert that had this in it.

I don't need the kidney I'll just take the handjob thanks

I hear you but are there really no redeeming qualities about this car? I'm aware of the rice tax and head gaskets that haven't blown yet can be replaced as a caution. Is there anything good about it?

Completely overpriced for what it is because we didn't get the WRX/STI in the US.

I would never pay over $3000 for a pristine one. As they sit stock, performance really isn't anything special. And no part on them is unswappable to a base L... or a legacy.

No, AWD maybe but its expensive for what you get and not much different from any other 1990s Subaru

I'm really not joking when I say you can just get a early model WRX for what some people want for 2.5RSs. I've even seen WRXs with blown motors or shells go for $1000-1500 on CL. Buy it, plop in a STi v7/8 EJ207 engine and trans with the other $4000-5000.

I can't seem to find many in my area that aren't 2.5s. There's one that is pretty much stock with 150k for 3k but it seems like a lot. I've been driving an almost broken Hyundai my parents got for me years ago and now I'm buying my own car I want to get some things that I like the look of. Unfortunately I'm a faggot who only likes memes and can't be satisfied. Assuming the one I'm looking at doesn't have a formerly blown gasket and only some minor problems, would it least last a while and do well in the snow? I don't necessarily need to go fast right, so power isn't a top priority atm

Plus the GD WRX is a waaay safer car to have a crash in. A GC will crumple.

Rule of thumb on any EJ25 is that unless you have it in writing with receipts that the headgaskets have been changed and upgraded to aftermarket units expect to spend an additional 1-2k having them replaced. Usually at the most inopportune time, so I would advise doing it in advance as a preventive measure.

They all leak/blow. A factory headgasket is literally a time bomb.

Seriously just get a 2.2, they aren't that fast but they work very well and are worth it on that basis.

Everything I'm finding on CL is a 2.5 so fuck me. Alright thanks bros I know now what I must do

>tfw I own a gc8 wrx

You cunts really missed out. They're fucking great cars. No other wrx compares and I've driven/owned nearly every other model and variation. Basically an awd car that isn't heavy and has such great steering feedback you can drive them like an absolute madman. Much like having a 80s or 90s rwd shitbox.. can just chuck them into corners and have so much fun.

Yea but what they're saying is pretty damning evidence against it

Assuming the headgaskets are a non-issue and the price is ok, what else is wrong with them mechanically

They're pretty slow, faster than a loyale but still stupid slow

I have one with an EJ207 version 8 motor and trans in it. Very light car and quick as hell. I was DDing it in stock form and the car was comfortable and pretty quick. AWD and under 3000 pounds is fun when you have 350awhp.

Is your sunroof broken my guy?

WRX/STI or bust.

What else can you swap in this thing? Is it worth installing a turbo?

Get a 2.5RS, that's a real car.

Usually you just swap it with an STI motor that has a turbo all ready.

I want a 2.5RS but it is a bitch to find one un-riced in Georgia.

I have a 2003 2.5TS Wagon. I've already replaced the head gaskets and whatnot, and DD it. Its my first non-econo slushbox car, and I like it. Any reccomendations for making it gu

Sti motor?

Not to my knowledge. Thats all I know about it.

He said he has a WRX you stupid faggot, not a 2.5RS. He lives in Australia, Canada, or some other place that has access to the good version of the car. You will NEVER EVER own the good version

The 2.5RS is a fucking shit meme and it's hilarious that Ameri-fats pay more for one than a fucking leaf would pay for a WRX. top kek

Just for clarity it's the ej25 that eats headgaskets?

Nothing really. I've seen manual transmissions in those develop a grinding sound when in gear and coasting but it doesn't seem to be all that common.
The problems I've ran into are like the other anons said, rust, head gaskets, high prices and cars that have been ran really hard or not maintained. I've looked through about 30 Subarus lately and oy one has been taken care of. 01 outback, 2.5l and an automatic. It needs head gaskets but it is just an oil leak at this point, not so bad that the oil and coolant are mixing.

Rule for buying a 2.5l. If the oil isn't mixed with coolant in the purge tank, it's worth replacing the head gaskets.

2.5 between 98 and 08, will post back with 2.2

I spoke bullshit earlier. This article seems legit
allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

Wait Canada has the WRX? I live in Washington so I might be able to drive up and by one there..

Or maybe 2.5rs body and swap a WRX into it?

Thanks bro

Had a 1999 awd standard and absolutely loved and I now regret selling it, generally it was a old $1000 shit box, get an ej22. The 2.2 is unbelievably reliable and stupid easy to work on, I've hit that damn car into other cars, trees etc and still drove np, had to cut the airbags out after the accident tho, still drove like a beast, had to realign the front frame a few times but np

Fucked interior and airbags, bitch will get you anywhere you need to go with the awd too, good gas mileage

Op here I appreciate the help on this one guys minus a few faggots.

Rust is a big problem with these though which sucks, esp by the headers because they're right at the bottem of the motor (essentially right near the ground) so they're almost always loud as fuck and rusted exhaust

Why in the HELL would I pay for a 2.5RS??

Supply and Demand got me fucked up and I'm glad y'all retards with the Blown headgaskets got me to go SAAB and V8s.

Pic related: I can't wait until 2018 comes around and the USD GCs tank in price.

What's something I can do to prevent it if it's not there already

What is awd even good for except 0-60 times and memes

Snow

Just wash your car every three weeks, more often in the winter. Don't have to be a good job, just spray off all the road grime. High pressure soap then rinse then wax.

So if you're too retarded to buy winter tires, get a car with awd?

You still need winter tires to stop and take turns recently in snow anyway

Would repainting the common areas help if I use good shit?

Snow tires + AWD = Winter God Machine

Snow tires + Summer tires + RWD = Any season god machine

What, on the body? It would, but all the people I've seen do that grind the rust off. Then repaint. I'm not much of a body person. Preventative washing is the best way to keep rust away or at least slow it down aside from grinding and painting

I meant if there is no rust there yet would painting it on top of preventative washing help?

I don't see the benefit in touching up unless its down to the metal. The wax at a car wash really helps.