Cord Cars making a comeback

>Fondly remembered by enthusiasts as one of America’s most forward-thinking automakers, Cord is unexpectedly coming back to life after spending nearly 80 years in the history books.

>Based in Indiana, Cord built cars from 1929 to 1932 and from 1936 to 1937. One of its best-known models is the front-wheel drive 812 (pictured), which was the first series-produced car with retractable headlights and the first car to come standard with a radio. At its launch, the 812 was praised for its radical coffin nose design.

>...the revival is made possible by the Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act that Congress passed about a year ago. The bill exempts cars built by low-volume manufacturers from federal regulations, therefore allowing small companies to offer complete, turnkey vehicles if the engine used comes from a fully compliant vehicle. It’s the same law that allowed a Texas-based company to bring back the DeLorean.

digitaltrends.com/cars/cord-brand-revived-news-details-quotes/

thoughts?

But what engine will they use?

812 area code here. I think it's interesting the car is named 812 but would have been made before area codes were used.

who knows.

it says they first have to strike a deal with an existing automaker, probably for the engine and distribution.

Depends what they want to do. the original car had like, a 4.7 liter V8. so if they want to keep that going, then maybe ford? thought this seems more like something Chevy would mess with

This would be the perfect application for a northstar. Rip.

This thing would rip with an ls4 though

I hope they keep the chrome external hoses. That shit is so cool.

I think its pretty cool, dont know if anybody asked for it though

>Cord coming back

Holy shit.

Also: if they want to keep it American, it can only be Ford or GM.

not just that but they are the only most likely candidates for this sort of thing. AMC originally did this kind of thing, (they sold the Renault Fuego through their dealerships briefly in the 80's) but they dont exist anymore, and Chrysler, current chrysler, is not likely to do this kind of thing

FCA might reboot AMC with the current law.

Why? Other than the AMC Eagle, what does AMC have to offer that FCA doesn't?

Gremlin, Pacer, Ambassador, Rambler

The Ford powered Cord, I like the ring of it

well they could always move jeep back to the AMC brand for nostalgia value, or resurrect older jeep models.

I think it will have the same fate as Fisker. Maybe see 2 or three until it dies.

Wagoneer when?

Plymouth revival, when?

Wee need SAAB back to be honest.

I'm hoping Trump and the new Republican Congress will help get rid at least some of the shit regulations on auto design. One of Trump's goals is tackling over-regulation.

This

Repro dagumi mobiles when?

great news

But guys.

The most important question.

Will they have pop-ups?

They had better

well there is little regulation on the "design", the regulations are on everything else, which affects the design. needing to have airbags in every nook and cranny, for instance, affects how massive pillars are. pedestrian safety laws, are what make milehigh beltlines, because the front of the car needs to have specific dimensions so that a wedge doesnt cut a pedestrian in two.

and emissions and "footprint" regulations mean that Ford and Chebby have to pay massive fines for their musclecars, for DARING to put a wasteful large displacement V8 in their car.

And CAFE requirements also affect styling because they now need to be fuel efficient. So you can't make styling however you want because it has to go through a wind tunnel and make sure it's aerodynamic so that MPG can meet Obama's ridiculous standards.

couple that with some shit designers who can't manage to make a good looking car within the regulations like they used to in past decades, and youve got a recipie for bars of soap on wheels that look angry and constipated to compensate for being a shitbox, and for the damaged styling caused by having to adhere to stupid laws. because otherwise nobody would want a prius unless they somehow made it look """"sporty"""" by making it "angry".

if they stick to the letter of the new law, then that means it will be a strict replica with a modern engine and maybe some other modern creature comforts.

DeLorean are the only ones who are actively trying to revamp the DMC-12 with all sorts of modern shit, not just the engine.