2018 Supra

autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-toyota-supra-and-bmw-z5-gear-2018-assault

>hybrid and non-hybrid petrols

Is the dream still alive?

Other urls found in this thread:

ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90480
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wish they would just decide on a design.

If I can get the 3.5L a manual and no batteries, I'll be happy. AWD and turbos are optional, though I'd prefer RWD and NA (more for reliability).

I'll wait for the RX-9 to be revealed before I make any decisions though.

pig disgusting.

>Supra gets a V6 while the Z5 gets an I6
y tho

Toyota's been dead since 2002.

so is the V6 produced by bmw or not?

>Come with a 2.0L turbo as standard
>JUST
>like everyone else on the fucking planet
>"""sports car"""" for hairdressers.

Fecking hell.

they need to stop teasing that concept/prototype as if that's how the Supra will look.

zero chance that's the case.

>3.5 liter turbo v6

How hard would it have been to just make it a fucking i6

Why would anything BMW touched be good?

Anyone else feel like the new Supra is going to be a huge disappointment?
I mean it's not even fucking Toyota doing development.

V6 = better weight distribution

Look at the "new" NSX and GT-R. The fate of the Supra and RX-9 will be the same.

>GT-R
Come on, it may be overcomplicated technically, but it is actually very fast. Besides, R32 was full of fancy tech too.

>I wish 90s Japanese sports cars came back

Doubt it.

The Miata and the 86 are the antithesis to benchracing. The fact that Mazda went for lightweight over power, and that the 86 went for oversteer instead of grip, proves this fact. They still understand what makes a good sports car.

Besides, nobody is going to buy a 100k+ car from a company with as little prestige as Mazda, and the Z4 was between 40 to 60k. Doubt the Z5 will be in a different price bracket.

Fucking this. Sounds like it'll be another overly complicated and expensive "sports" car that will serve as a halo car for the Toyota brand.
Why can't they make a good, simple sports car that I can fix myself and that keeps the gimmicks superficial (i.e. away from the powertrain)? Do "old school" constructions really not have any market anymore?

>R32
>the barest of minimalism
>full of fancy tech

What tech?

Americans still do them, don't they?

AWD with ATTESA?

Nobody's gonna be able to fucking afford it anyway, so it doesn't even matter.

no

They are both using their own engines(guess they didnt agree on what to use)
So this is basically a similar set up to toyobaru and miata/fiat did

The FRS was literally that car.

>no turbo
>no driving modes
>no DCT
>fixed rack steering
>mechanical diff
>lightweight
>uncomplicated design
>no gimmicks except a button that turns traction control off
>engine bay uncovered with many easy to access items (but muh spark plugs)

I'm guessing this is where the excuses for not buying one begin.

Modern muscle cars are pretty high tech. Shitload of driving/steering/suspension settings, electronic differentials, cylinder deactivation, magnetic shocks, rev matching, etc.

Wow that's alot of tech

What else??

>200hp
I forgot to mention that I'd be looking for contemporary sporty power levels in such a car. The FRS is a really cool concept but it really needs more engine options (or just one better one), preferrably non-boxer engines. I have no problems with turbos if that's what it takes to get good power and handling at a reasonable price point.

>FRS

If I wanted a sluggish, anemic piece of shit I would have got one

A simple, uncovered, easily wrenchable turbo i6 in a vehicle without a bunch of frivolous garbage like infotainment systems would have been absolutely prime.

I agree it should have come with an inline 4. A 3sge beams is way better than the fa20. The fa responds poorly to mods. But it does surprisingly well with boost.

5th gen 3S-GE BEAMS
>210HP
>160lb-ft

FA20
>200HP
>150lb-ft

Lighter and smaller too. Those small gains would have been plenty enough to fix the 86.

Why not a 3sgte? A turbo would complete this car

Enough with these fucking vacuum cleaners. Up the displacement if you can't be happy with that HP.

The FA20T can make 300 at the crank stock. I know the standard turbo mounting is a problem for packaging in the toyobaru but as things sit I see no reason to buy a brz when I could get a wrx and have a better power to weight ratio for the same money.

>more weight
Don't get me wrong I love high revving v8s but it doesn't make sense in a car like this. Simple turbo setup makes tuning far easier

Why not a 5S-GTE BEAMS hybrid engine?

The new supra will cease production in less than 6 years they don't adjust the price. It will have strong sales it's first year but that will be it. This car is just not worth its price tag.

>Acting like twin turbos and variable AWD were not high tech in the 1990s

It's not exactly a GTO/VR-4 but it's not a live axle Mustang either

>turbos don't add weight

Going to an FA25 wouldn't be any heavier than an FA20T

Why, if the previous generation lasted 10 years?

Because it's not the same car as the last generation.

It has more needless complexity at a higher price point

The supra had a much better price point and an actual fan base. Toyota is basically starting from scratch with the new supra, it no longer has that fan base and it's pricing is shit.

What's the price?

The NSX is even faster, what's your point?

The new GTR was slower only because it wasn't the new NISMO edition. They're making the new standard GTR as more of a touring car whereas the NISMO is gonna be their new 600HP supercar killer.

literally the 86

People say they want 90s traits until they realize that means 90s power

It's a shame the GTR sells like shit here in the US. It's a great car and seems to be getting better. I wonder how its sale are in Europe.

>200hp
>90's power

>Comparing an upper level luxury sportscar to an entrylevel sports car.

>supercar killer that would cost nearly 100k in todays money

The FT86 is a modern day 240SX. In price (same after inflation), drive train, proportions, etc. The difference is that the 86 has 50 more HP and is generally better in every single way.

>fr-s
>sports car

>what is progress

A v6 camry these days has more power than a 1992 fd rx7

Adjusted for inflation the FD would be 60k.

Mazda, Subaru and Toyota are the only Japanese companies making affordable driver's cars

Nissan, Mitsubishi and Honda are lost.

It's only going to get worse from here

The RX-9 is essentially already safe from being NSX'd with the confirmation that it won't be a hybrid and will cost under 80k dollars. Now Mazda could be lying but their track record shows they still know what makes a good car and actually have some passion for the craft left in them. Even their base model econoboxes are fun to drive.

Only you can up the boost on the fa20 for far increased power. Getting more power out of a 25 would mean applying a forced induction setup and that is far more complicated

>Honda are lost.

should wait to see how the type R turns out before making that judgement

sure the FD costs 60k adjusted for inflation

but you can get a 268hp all wheel drive car for $26k these days.

literally no excuses for the BR-Z having so little power.

oh god why cant the v6 meme just die

>200hp at crank
>173 atw @ 7000rpm
>retarded boxster shit engine
>no turbo

Hydraulic HICAS, aluminum fenders and hood, individual throttle bodies, ceramic turbos, dual overhead cams, and the sheer complexity of the ATTESA system is no joke.

It was a very complicated car when it came out in the early 90s. It's only now that cars in 2016 are even more complex that it seems simple and basic.

Oh boy, I can't wait to spend 35k on a FWD civic.

The new Si looks very underwhelming

How many other new 4 cylinder NA cars make as much power as the 86? Toyota has already said they never plan on releasing a FI version of this car. This car is not about power.

If you want a turbocharged corolla buy a WRX

If you want a rwd Integra type R buy an 86

>If you want a turbocharged corolla buy a WRX
>If you want a rwd Integra type R buy an 86

i just want a modern silvia to be honest family

Turbochargers are the way of the future, deal with it.

It's old and needs a refresh to be competitive with the 991 Turbo. If you look at what the N Attack Pack involves over a normal Nismo GTR it's obvious that Nissan needs an R36. It's a shame that they're probably going to push some shitty hybrid tech that turns the car into a 4500 pound pile of shit though. I'm all for hybrid tech in a Camry or a 918 but at 150k they risk shitting out another NSX.

Veeky Forums will never factor into any decision because they will never pay more than 5k for a car.

Right? Nissan plz save us with some Japanese muscle!

>Oh boy, I can't wait to spend 35k on a FWD civic
If Honda seriously releases the type R at this price point its so fucking dead.

Nissan will save you with a CUV with a CVT

The Si is going to be 25k. The type R will be at least 32k

>The Si is going to be 25k. The type R will be at least 32k
Now this will be interesting.
It will be competing with Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers. I just hope the US market has room for it. Nissan barely gets by with their 370z.

Buy an FRS/BRZ/FT86 Jesus. How hard is this to understand? It IS the modern silvia. The car you want is on the market and doesn't cost much at all. You can literally have one tomorrow.

Or... buy an old Silvia, because Nissan sure as hell isn't working on making a new one for you.

>for you

I thought the GT86 was the spiritual successor to the supra?

The car is literally named after the car it's mimicking

>silvia has a turbo
>gt86 has no turbo

Then get a fucking turbo kit on it. Plenty of companies offer bolt on kits and I'm sure you could get a reputable shop to install it without much of a hassle. The 86 is a car made to be tuned however you see fit, it's the reason why it's so basic.

Fucking retards, I swear. They bitch for years about no automaker selling a car "just like" the cars from a decade they didn't lived and then they bitch when said automaker does exactly that.

This. Also, fuck just a turbo kit. You can literally do whatever you want with it... Give it an LS.

ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90480

Here's a 50 state smog legal turbo kit. You do zero tuning, they already made an ECU map that is 100% smog legal and professionally developed to work for all GT86. You get 100 more horsepower and no torque dip. If you don't give a shit about that and you think you can do better, they sell a kit without the map + CARB sticker for less money.

>$3,999
If you bought a brand new fr-s for around 26k and added a turbo, you'd get a 300hp car for around 30k. That's actually not too bad but I'd just buy a 370Z instead. Nice to know the fr-s has a good aftermarket though.

>2018 BR-Z
>2018 BMW MX-5

The emissions-compliant tune is around 300-310HP. If you tune it yourself you'll be closer to 330.

The 370Z is really not the same car as the GT86. The 370Z was savaged by Chris Harris because it's ultimately a GT car, not a sports car. If you choose your mods carefully for the price of a 370Z you'll have a GT86 that is better handling and just as fun. Most of the mods are 50 state legal as well because the aftermarket is big enough for tuning companies to justify the emissions testing.

>those people who do non-emissions-compliant tunes
fuccboi/10

Implying you'll be able to afford either..

Because nu Toyota post 2000 are retarded

Some people think they can do better. If they want to, more power to them. You absolutely can get more power if you lean out the map to stoich at WOT but you also risk blowing up your engine. If you want to have super aggressive timing at high load and low RPM that's also an option but you risk throwing a rod when LSPI explodes your engine.