Rotary to return in 2019 as EV range-extender

...guys

>foxnews.com/auto/2016/11/23/mazda-rotary-engine-returning-in-2019.html

>"...[Mazda] will launch its first electric car in 2019, and said that it will likely use a small rotary engine as a range extending electricity generator..."

Other urls found in this thread:

oppositelock.kinja.com/mazda3-hybrid-more-toyota-than-mazda-1752761790
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Fox News

Mazda has specifically said the RX-9 will not be a hybrid.

If they make a rotary enhanced EV (which makes perfect sense actually) it'll be something else entirely.

Mazda has already used little rotaries as a range extender in econoboxes
Has nothing to do with the rx9

>Mazda has specifically said the RX-9 will not be a hybrid
Doesn't matter
They've already become cucks to the Electric-Jew. They've sold out. Their word is meaningless now, they've betrayed every true driving enthusiast.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA GET FUCKED ROTARDS!

YOUR ENGINE IS SHIT AND ALWAYS WILL BE SHIT!

t, gm fanboy upset a chebby v8 has never won le mans

>dude why aren't these small low-powered commuter cars and SUV's not appealing to driving enthusiast needs
>where is the 787B heritage in my Mazda 3

perfect rx7 :^)

If you want a cement roller sure

>weight distribution before: 50/50
>weight distribution now: 63/37
>also gained 300lbs and fucked the handling

>engine durability before: 30k
>engine durability after: 90k
>also gained 300hp power and made it fast at last

also more easy to oversteer and get wrapped around a tree with that weight

>Rotary engine is so God tier it is banned from le mans And dominates endurance racing globally for decades
>2jz us so trash Toyota literally junked it in favor of a FOUR CYLINDER in the super gt supra
ROFLMAO

Real talk though, wouldn't the Mazda wankel be perfect with an electric assist motor?
Low end efficiency and torque, with high end power where the rotary actually shines?

Teach me. I could be wrong.

It would, but in the car, the rotary is powering the batteries

It makes sense to use a rotary as an electricity generator than something used to actually move the car.

Most of the fuel inefficiency comes from RPM changes. At a set RPM, they are decently efficient.

But doesn't that delete all the fun

Econoboxes aren't supposed to be fun. Even the least miserable ones (like the Mazda3 2.5L) are boring compared to actual fun cars.

This
What's the point of having a rotary if it isn't connected to the drive train in any way?
Plus, its going to require more maintenance than a standard 3 or 4 cylinder.
Why wouldn't they even just put a diesel engine in it? It'd be a hell of a lot more efficient

this. rotarys are popular in boats and airplanes because they perform much better at high, constant rpm. Reliability is better as well.

diesels are heavy because high compression. A rotary engine with comparable power to a 4cyl diesel will be much smaller and lighter.

Gasoline has higher energy density than even the best batteries

Facts are racist
Your racist

You're aware that Mazda is the only major car manufacturer in the world that doesn't currently offer a single hybrid electric model, right?

My racist what?

>horsepower power

Sure. And once they make a hybrid, they've been cucked. They've betrayed all of you for the fucking EMISSIONS cock.

Fuck them, and Fuck you.

>Rotary gets cucked by an electric motor

When will these emission memes end.

Uhh the only reason companies make an effort to improve emissions is because of tightening government regulations and standards. Car companies wouldn't do this if they didn't have to

And Jeep also

Doesn't matter. Death is preferable to bending a knee to the emissions meme.

Death before dishonor, faggot.

Would it be a bad idea to buy a FD now? the prices seem to be creeping upward

Rotaries are one of the few engines that actually NEED torque fill.

>calling electric cars a jew when the biggest jew who ever jewed any goy is big oil

Yea that gap from 0 to a near 3000 peak is so horrible I wish I had torque like a toyobaru 4 cylinder

Like a turbo?

The Toyobru 4 cylinder is a diesel compared to the torqueless wonder that is a rotary.

No. Then you still have no torque and turbo lag.

F UC k yo u

Electric is for cucks

KEKS KEKS KEKS. Have fun being a passenger in your own car as Electric cars don't even let you drive anymore.

You may have made a wrong turn. Are you sure you didn't want to go to /pol/?

Emissions matter so people that don't live 20 miles from their neighbors don't choke to death on smog. If Mazda can't make rotary meet modern standards that GDI engines can it deserves to stay off the market.

It was obvious that the RX-9 was going to be a halo car to build the hype for their rotary hybrids. They're just launching the hybrids a year before the RX-9.

>rotary hybrids
I think this is a brilliant idea.

They need to go back to old mZda and only make Rotaries. Except now, their "commuters" and ecoboxes can be hybrid wankels. And their sport cars can be trueblue WANKERS.

It makes a lot of sense to me at least.

This. The amount of people buying into this crap is amazing

i could see a rotary as a range extender, it fits well with its calling card of being super compact
my concern is cooling, even if the rotary isn't pushed or anything (it'll be spinning at a fixed RPM), it still makes a lot of heat

lol do you think it'll be computer controlled?

you're asking this question of literally any component of a car made after 2000?
the answer is yes

In fact you're wrong, in Japan you can get a Mazda 3 (Axela) hybrid which is basically a less ugly but less practical Prius

oppositelock.kinja.com/mazda3-hybrid-more-toyota-than-mazda-1752761790

Confirmed for never having driven an FD.

>Plus, its going to require more maintenance than a standard 3 or 4 cylinder.
As a generator maybe not. The wankel it fantastic at constant peak efficiency rpm.

Electric is better than ICE, dumbass. It's been battery technology that's let us down in the past.
We now have lithium-sulfur and there's no reason not to have a 300kw RWD 50/50 electric weighing 1300-1400kg with a decent range.

Want to know what electrics can do, go look at the regera. Stomps all over every other car currently on sale.

>Plus, its going to require more maintenance than a standard 3 or 4 cylinder.
No, it's not. Rotaries at a constant speed are actually extremely reliable, hence their use in planes.

Diesel engine with the same power output would be much bigger and weigh much more

would make sense since rotaries rev fucking high and so do electric engines.

problem is how the fuck do they solve the horrid fuel consumption and oiling issues?

>pigfat heavy jz
yeah nah

>m-muh future batteries
every time. I wonder when you faggots give up. maybe it takes another ten years without major improvement.

Separate oil tank like old school 911s, the electric motor solves the fuel consumption by doing all the light load and traffic duty while the rotary gets to brap itself up under heavy load and cruising on the highway at a nice set RPM

A small EV focused rotary wouldn't put out too much heat, it'd probably end up being only single rotor anyway

how the fuck do you solve the emissions problem?

It's not the future when they're starting to go into production right now you silly cunt

By improving the fuel economy with the electric motor and by having a big cat combined with significant EGR if you can stop the carbon from destroying the seals

excuse my ignorance but wouldnt the cat block up after a while? Or would they use that trick that diesels use and put a fuel injector before the cat to clean it?

yeah just like ten years ago.

T. Assmad ice cuck

Though you do lose much of that advantage through mechanical losses that electrics avoid.

this desu sempai
gas engines are, at most, what, 40% efficient? the rest goes out the tail pipe as heat
even shitty electric motors are 90% efficient, so the difference in energy density is almost made up for by the huge efficiency increase

also, batteries are only going to get better, we're into diminishing returns on ICE energy efficiency already.

something is going to replace lithium polymer batteries at some point, and ranges are going to get much much better and charging times much much faster

Gas engines lose lots of energy in the drivetrain, he meant that in its unburned, liquid state, gasoline has a much higher energy density than any battery out there. Lrn2read.

yes it is, and there isn't a good way to get energy out of it efficiently since you have to blow it up or burn it

>>weight distribution now: 63/37
Now let's be real. Fucking LS1 is still almost 50/50. Turbines have weight too, so I don't know about 2JZ, but 1JZ-GTE VVT-i with 0,5 less liters and single stock turbo would be like 51 or 52 front.

>lithium-sulfur
Gasoline is still more effective than lithium-sulfur batteries

the weight is not quite as big of an issue as how the packaging allows it to be placed
the 2jz is a straight six after all, extremely long, so a lot of its mass is way in front of the front axle

the ls1 can be mounted pretty far back in the bay

This is for a new electric commuter vehicle, not for the next RX, you retards.

>this retard thinks the engine displacement is the main contributing factor to the weight and size of the engine.

wow

You can address it but cutting out more space inside and shoving the engine further back. I don't think the end result is worth it anyway since you can built up the rotor to make a lot of power without rebuilding half of the car.

Actually I know, but J didn't have a picture to post so I just posted the vision.

I was just actually trying to talk about how they're bringing back to roaty for primarily Hybrids

>rotary ev cars
why am i the only one whos hyped for this