WHY IS MY NEON MAKING THIS SOUND?

user recommended I get a stethoscope to diagnose this sound my Neon 95 is making. I pinpointed the sound coming from pic related. What is this device and what could the problem be?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zf5C4JCuXRM

That's weird. Your neon must be older than mine, that's where mine has some kinda control arm

On the left correct?

Yup

Looks like the vacuum pump for the fuel tank fumes. Emissions related. I think..... My dodge ram has one and it runs constantly because the little diaphragm on the inside is broken.

Are you sure it isn't the lifters? Does it go away after it warms up?

I searched everywhere else with the stethoscope, it came from that thing 100%. The sound goes away as soon as I turn off the engine and turn it back on, it only comes back on if I rev for a little while.

It makes a small electric spark like sound up close.

You're 100% certain it's that plug? Me and my friend both think it sounds like a slack belt, or lifters

Thanks user. Does it make the same exact sound too?

That's what everyone I told thought it was too. I'm 100% sure it's that, nothing else makes the sound with the stethoscope on it.

Unplug it and see if sound goes away

Are you sure sound isn't just traveling from the actual source up to that plug?

100%, I checked all the metal surrounding it and nothing, I checked everything. It was loud on that device, it sounded like a small electric spark coming from inside of it.

Unplug it and then just Google your wiring diagram to see what it is, I could tell you exactly what it is but life I say your neon is older than mine so it's prob something in a completely different spot on mine

Did you unplug it?

Its making that sound because its bad. Replace it or just unplug it and go on with life

No one here even knows what it is, what if the engine blows up if I do that?

I do, its the purge valve. Replace it if you are afraid it will blow up but it wont.

that is your engine mount sir.
Vacuum switching valve. Had a similar structure on my 1uz.

Thanks guys.

c