Please convince me not to buy a RX-8

Please convince me not to buy a RX-8.

Other urls found in this thread:

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5861846738.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5822762373.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

do it OP

They're shit

Shit gas mileage, burns oil like a motherfucker, replacing apex seals is a pain in the ass, previous owner probably didn't know how to take care of it, you'll look like a autist premixing fuel everytime

Did i mention also how easily you can flood them?

what R you wanting it 4 OP

Okay, are there any other cars within price range and performance?

Weekender / track, something that can be used as a good base for modification.

I have one. It's great.

>looks sexy
>fun to drive
>terrible gas mileage

Haven't had any issues out of the engine in the couple of years I've owned it. I top the oil off occasionally, but never premix it.

I drive it often, let the engine warm up first, and redline it at least once per trip.

>Shit gas mileage
18mph combined meh

>burns oil
hardly any, way less than modern hondas or any european car

>replacing apex seals is a pain in the ass
yeah, 1k in parts every 10 years real pain in the ass

>muh premixing
then why cry about burning oil?

Talk me out of buying a FD....

losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5861846738.html
Going to check this one out soon, how do i haggle?

Don't, I wouldn't trust a second hand modded FD, he might have replaced the engine but it's probably for reasons like he's a dipshit non driving fuckface and it's on its last legs

If you insist, start buy checking the KBB on it, then mention how he's needed to replace the engine already and since he's done that, modded it to hell and back, that should give you some kind of bargaining chip

>i wouldnt trust a modded FD
id trust it more than a stock one with 100k miles if he has receipts of work

>he might have replaced the engine but it's probably for reasons like its a 20 year old car
ftfy

Seriously doubt it's just because it's a 20 yr old car, dude modded the fuck out of it and probably fancies himself a racer, I wouldn't touch it due to the high probability that it's been abused

Checking kbb for good condition around those miles it miles lists it for 11k at most. But JDMer kno what they have.
It has a single turbo conversion done so that makes it slightly more relaible. And talking to the guy he said he upgraded the coolant tank and has silicone lines.

Another FD in the area with a single turbo sold for 15,800.

losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5822762373.html

I wamted to buy this one, my first choice. But the owner ended up getting a buyer who paid for the listed price in cash.

apex seals.

not many series 6s are on the original engine

>kbb
dont be a baby boomer

Well im not gonna base on offer based off kbb. I know the local market well enough i just don't think hes car is worth market price especially considering it may need future work that could be a potentially big problem.

Nigga you literally have to pull the engine out to do that

Is it stock?

They are pretty slow and BURN gas for the economy you get which is no worse than a 20 year old 350 ls/lt or a basic 5.0 v8 or i6 and you dont get any of the drivability or torque

Depends got a couple lined up? Post links

Yuppie bullshit OP, don't do it.

1. Tiny, light engine
2. Once every ten years is nothing and better than subie headgaskets

Chicks car

RX8 will never be properly "fast" without an engine swap (mess up the balance of the chassis) or a turbo (bye bye reliability).

You'll get bored of it quickly and move on.

that's about all the rotary is good for. If you don't know already, they tend to flood if you take them on short trips. The gas millage is shit (worse than my big ass V8). on the plus side rotaries have a great displacement to power ratio and rev a lot faster than positions. And most importantly, you get to ask chinks if they like the sound of your Wankel.

why not an mr2

>no turbo
>no option to turbo because ports

>they tend to flood if you take them on short trips

Only if you move the car without warming it up then shutting it off, mazda released an updated ecu flash to fix this.

It also only effects 04 -05's.

No, they're the worst rotary car

You're broke from spending too much money on hookers and in game purchases. Plus, your legs are too short and can't reach the gas pedal. Don't get me started on that lazy eye....

You dont know how rotaries work huh?

some company could make an absolute killing if they came up with a cheap engine swap solution

would love to own an rx8 with a wrx engine or something

you can turbo it, but power delivery will never be the same as an FD due to the ports on the Renesis

Also it will blow up due to not being engineered to be turboed

there's a kit for putting a V8 in one.

There is a man i run into in the evenings sometimes. Drives a gunmetal RX-8. Hes got something causing his exhaust shoot flames. Only ever rode in one as a passenger and the thing that hit me the most is that engine sound. Totally unique.

it's really expensive

ideally a cheap swap would use the transmission the rx8 comes with and should drop in without much fuss

>Hes got something causing his exhaust shoot flames.

An inefficient engine.

think it's just a thing those engines are prone to do. ([citation needed])

>Weekender / track
It's great for that. You can even DD it if you baby the engine properly

>something that can be used as a good base for modification
This it's not so great for. The way the Rensis is designed it'a very hard to get more power out of it without very expensive and fragile FI.

Engine swaps are a possibility, though. Even if you just swap in a 13b from an FD.

Meh power, but sick revs.

Aesthetics are comparably ugly to anything else on the market.

Triangles.

Burns heaps of oil.

Burns loadsa'fuel.

Coils, sparkies, and spinny'spark things typically need regular replacement for reliability.

Suicide doors.

5K for a complete engine rebuild, but cheaper for just the seals.

Floods like New Orleans.

Overall requires intermediate knowledge of cars.

Fun car though.

>rotary engine
You should be convinced now

just going to dump the random pics

I earn more delivering pizza and generally being white. Also I don't wanna die of some bum deasease in a third world shit hole

>convince me not to buy X

What are these threads about? Is it the OPs sensible side crying out for help, because they know it's a terrible idea?

man it going to take me a while to find the one related to how the 13b msp has way more oil jets but is still shit

if you think of the rotary as being two stroke
its problems make more scene
its a good chassis
in some ways better than the FD
an engine swap even to an older type or 13b or 12a would help

my mistake
it does not hate on the idea apparently

danger of high oil temp

Idk where you're from, but i honestly don't know because of how cheap rx8's are

For a car sold new in the last 10 years, no you can't beat the RX-8.

They were a pretty good value new (cheaper than a 350z and superior in every way [quality, seats, handling, etc] except for straight line performance), and they depreciated a lot making them an even better value.

It's not like you can't build the engine.

Not only can you swap in a 13b-REW, but you can do a hybrid of 13b-REW rotor housings with Renesis 6port side housings.
So you have both the peripheral exhaust, greater intake ports, and the extra side exhausts.

It's not as simple as assembling them together because there is the block cooling routing to change, but it is doable and has been done.

It's something they do because their combustion "stroke" is very short.

In a piston engine the combustion stroke pushes down on the piston, and it doesn't go out the exhaust until the piston starts rising back up.
In a rotary engine, very soon after it starts burning, part of the chamber gets opened up for unburned fuel to escape instead of continuing to burn and continuing to push against the rotor.
At higher RPM, there is much less time for fuel to burn and push against the rotor. The sweet for efficiency tends to be around 3000-4500rpm I believe, where the rotor spins fast enough for combustion to push well against the rotor, but not too fast that the fuel doesn't get to mostly burn.

While the rotary has things that make it more efficient (naturally stratifying charge, less reciprocating mass, etc), shooting gas into the engine that doesn't even get burned is a huge negative for efficiency.

The next rotary will likely be more efficient in this regard as it has a significantly larger "stroke", thus more time for full to burn before going out the exhaust.

Funny enough, one way to make it more efficient would be to, you know, actually have valves and only do one combustion cycle every 3 revolutions.
With computers and all that shit, you'd think they'd do that for an "economy" mode and just hold the valves open and do the normal 3 combustion cycles per rotation for powa.

you'll be beaten by people who you don't think can beat you in a drag race, including but not limited to Cadillac CTS, Chrysler 300, even Toyota Mk2. RX 8 is not that fast.

>looks sexy
Kys

Smell that? You Smell that? That's a Rotary engine son.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like....

....speed.

Some day they're going to ban the things.

>zoom zoom

you dodged a bullet on this car. I know it personally. It's from some shithead kid in AZ that treated the car like shit. he ended up selling it to the guy in LA for 11. Fixed a few things and turned a profit.

also this car isn't even an original CW, it's a MB..

Get RX8. It's cheap. Do yourself a favor and get it. Don't listen to these fucking faggot shitters. Do youself a favor and drive the definitive racecar experience. These bozos are entertained with anything. Just look at them drive a fucking shitbox with no power.
Trust me. You won't regret it.

Buy a 86/BRZ instead. Basically the same car but with engines that don't destroy themselves in 50-100K.

MB?

Dude according to the seller it sold for the listed price! Youre talking about the white one right?

BRZ has been called a littlesterile by some.

Arguably, the RX8 has the better chassis. It has a more powerful engine with a more distinct character. It also has back seats that work.

The 86's are just artifical. A little sterile more like manufactured fun than something that became great by being born great. It's an appliance - white goods fun product rather than something with passion to it.

And while the RX is indeed tainted by the stink of Ford bean counters you can still make it work.

The RX8 is flawed, but it's flawed in ways that you can fix yourself. It has a genuine character to it, a real working machine.

It rips to the redline, screaming, banging and smoking the whole way. It barks and spits fire.

It's the last of a generation.
It's the last car that you can really work on yourself and make a positive impact to with a spanner and some time. It's the last car that lets you sit down in a driveway and work and get oily and dirty. Work access is good for just about everything you'd need to touch.

It smells. It bangs. It pops. It feels right. It surges to the redline with manic urgency spitting oilsmoke and flame.

I find it really hard to find things to replace mine. Turbo WRX's are brutal expensive in tax, and insurance. S2000's are too small.

Despite the fact that the rear suspension is close to being shot and salted roads are eating the sills to death, it soldiers on.

Itt's a trackday tool on sunday that'll still go work with the tools in the boot on Monday without complaint

a p e x s e a l s
p
e
x

s
e
a
l
s

yeah a rotary engine, have you ever seen one?

-all emissions removed
How can register?

>rotary engine
there ya go

Finding a guy to pass you. Fortunately I have a few sources.

This is pretty much my exact same opinion between the two.

Which I don't get, because the LFA seems amazing and fun, though I haven't driven one. The same company that made the LFA made the FR-S.

The FR-S reminds me of these Kickstarter games like Planetary Annihilation which technically do everything they said they'd do. They check off all these tickboxes on the list of "fun things" they said they'd include in the game. But they forgot to actually test it out and make sure it's really fun and polished.

>performance
>rx8
>performance

It's dog slow

Its speed around many tracks is pretty ridiculous for how terrible the WHP to weight ratio is.

It must be the most godly handling car ever, is the only thing you can determine from that.

As long as you buy a 2009+, it's fine.

Those are nice wheels, do it.
Also does that design have a name? Where the spokes are concave towards the center

I fucking love the RX8.
Make sure you get the compression tested and a full carfax before you buy though.

You'll love it.

All this oil burning memeing

It burns a quart in between changes. I don't know about you, but every car I've owned or seen has done the same or worse, especially fucking Hondas or BMWs.

Fuel economy is really the only -real- downside

A rebuild costs 1000 dollars and you can do it yourself, not 5 grand, a fucking engine costs 2 grand you mong. What do you think a full rotary engine rebuild is? It's replacing each and every seal. You don't have to bore out cylinders or any stupid shit like that, and you can pull the engine in your driveway easily.

Flooding is only a problem if you're the kind of retard who would wear out a piston engine with excessive cold starting, or the kind of lazy retard who drives for less than 2 minutes in a typical trip.

The things you people pick out about rotaries makes me think that you don't treat your piston engines right. That tells me you're driving a car that's probably 15% down on power and will cost a shit ton to rebuild or to get a new engine. Meanwhile you can have your 2 year old son rebuild a 13B and actually MAKE money, that's how easy and cheap it is compared to reciprocating friction-making turd boat anchors

>spinny spark things
This guy seriously thinks the FE uses a distributor

Definitely not 5 grand.
5 grand gets you a ported 13b-REW and a turbo making 400+whp.
And if you pay someone else to do the rebuild and swap, you're looking at $2500-$3500. But yes, if you do it yourself, $700-$1500.

I'd still not recommend getting a model older than 2009 unless you have 10grand you want to put into a built engine and turbo instead of keeping it stock. If that's the case, then sure those $8k older models are worth it.

>All this oil burning memeing
lol ikr. of all rotary memes this one pisses me off the most. my 4cyl truck needs over a litre topped off in between changes and my rx7 never had to be refilled before i started premixing. the /only/ reason people say on rotary forums to check oil at fuel stops is so you can document if the omp is actually fucking working or not.

I know, I love it.

Buying a rotary car:
>me to seller: does she burn any oil?
>seller: oh fuck yeah
>me: fuck yeah

>Please convince me not to buy a RX-8.
RX-7 is better in every way

Not really every way.

Power wise? Sure.
Weight? Yeah, they're all lighter.

But the RX-8 has an absurdly good chassis. Absurdly good handling for a 4 door car its size, that's better than almost all the 2 door cars of its time. Only exceptions are the Exige/Elise and such.

And it has comfortable backseats, unlike the 2+2 RX7s.

I own an FD, and while 11 years ago buying an FD with 70k miles for 14k was an obvious choice over paying... 22.5k I think it was for a new RX-8. Now? Choosing between 15k for a good condition 7 year old RX-8, vs 20k for a 23 year old FD in half decent condition? I'd get the RX-8.

fd rx7 is also considerably more expensive to buy and maintain and waay less reliable
rx8 is objectively the best rotary for daily driving.

To add, one thing a lot of people seem to not know, but I think is really significant, is that when the FD came out its chassis was almost twice as stiff as the average performance car of the day.

Most cars in the early 90s had torsional rigidity of around 8,000 nm/deg.
The FD BTFO them all out at 15,000 nm/deg, which to this day is still acceptable for a small car. (around 8k you can definitely feel the twist, like in an old Miata. In 15k it's largely hardly there, but in a larger car you need more rigidity for the same handling effect)

When the RX-8 came out, 12 years later, only then was the average around what the FD's was. The S2000 had 12,000nm/deg. Hardtop coupes were usually around 15k like the FD, or 18k.
The RX-8, a 4 door car, had 30,000nm/deg torsional rigidity.
It took years for cars to top it, and those cars were ones like the Veyron and Koneggseggs.
Only now, 12 years later, is 30,000nm/deg becoming more common like it took 12 years for the FD's stiffness to become common. 12 years later your typical sportscar or sedan is, yes, in that 22k-35k range.

Now what's the next RX going to be? It's been over 12 years again. 60k nm/deg, like the 2 million dollar cars are?
It's one of the reasons I really appreciate Mazda. To make a 15k nm/deg car in 1992 before the increasing aid of computers was just... unbelievable. Then when all the manufacturers had computers to aid these things in 2004, they were still making a chassis twice as stiff than their competitors.