Learning manual

I recently bought my first manual and after a bit of practice I think I have the basics down.

>find clutch biting point
>rev match
>downshifting
>stay in 1st at red lights

Here are some things I have trouble with:
>get gears confused (1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th, etc.)
>get nervous at stoplights (people honk at me and flip me off when I stall)
>not good with 1st gear and starting from a complete stop
>hill starts
>reversing

Would any of you kind anons be willing to share some tips so I can enjoy my new car? Also I guess manual general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_cbZlhduYJY?t=2m2s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>>not good with 1st gear and starting from a complete stop
Do you use clutch only or clutch+gas? You can give it a bit of gas once you hit the biting point for a faster takeoff.

Also for hill starts I usually keep my foot on the brake and let the clutch come up a little past the biting point, just enough so it can hold the car in place long enough for me to switch from the brake to the gas pedal.
And you can always use the handbrake if you want to hillstart on easymode.

>hill starts

If you are really unsure about stalling just start with a lot of gas.

I use clutch+gas, but then I give it too much and launch my car while flinging asphalt at the cars behind me.

you'lll get it after a week or so like i did

also, do handbrake method for steep hills

>stay in 1st at red lights

who the fuck told you to do that? youre gonna fuck up your throw out bearings dumbass.

>stays in 1st at red lights
don't. stop. you're going to wear your throwout bearing. clutch in, neutral, clutch out, brake. preferably, use engine braking until it falls to the idle rpm.
>get gears confused
practice, practice, practice. don't force gears, use fluid motion. typically, your shift stick will want to remain in the center, so when going from 2nd to 3rd, use that pressure to your advantage. now for 4th to 5th, you'll have to put in more effort against the stick's tendency to move toward the middle.
fuck em. 90% don't know how to drive stick so 90% are doomed to be soccer moms and wine dads for the rest of their life in their priuses and odysseys.
PRACTICE.
>hill starts
give it a little more gas than usual. if you have hill assist, use that to your advantage.
>reversing
the reverse gear usually has the most torque, so just use the clutch and brake pedal, put gas in only on elevation

You guys need to stay the fuck off the road.

I don't care about throwout bearing, but holding my foot on the pedal for more than 10 seconds is like... just no.

>a lot of gas
He will burn up his clutch like that in no time.

Jesus you guys are retarded. The throw out bearings are always being worn, holding the clutch in at a light is negligible.

Saying "don't hold the clutch in because it wears your throw out bearings" is like saying "don't drive your car because it wears your tyres"

DYEL?

Just slowly roll onto the gas. As with anything driving-related, smoothness is key.

but you don't drift every fucking corner because it makes your tyres wore out faster, right?

So is your clutch you idiot, but you don't use it to hold the car on a hill. If you keep negligible wear off of your transmission, then that means you won't have to fork $600 as early.

Sounds like you are still having a lot of issues, practice in neighborhood streets. Also don't just sit in 1st at stoplights. That is the dumbest thing I ever heard. Put it in neutral, you are adding unnecessary wear.

>get gears confused (1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th, etc.)
1st is toward you and forward, 3rd is straight forward, 5th is directly away from you. The gates on most shifters let you just push in the general direction of the gear you want.
Flip them off back.
Literally the only part of driving a manual that's even remotely difficult. Practice until it's second nature.
>hill starts
It'll come once you can reliably launch on flat ground.
>reversing
Just like starting in 1st except you're going backwards.

Practice clutch control user

Basically, the biting point of the clutch is the thickness of a dollar coin. Practice on flat ground and give the engine some revs, then gently and super slowly raise the clutch until you have the biting point.
The point of this is to get a feel for how much you need to rev to start really smoothly.

The next step from there is finding an empty car parks and practice u-turns using ONLY clutch control. Going too fast? Push the clutch in slightly, revs don't matter if you cut the engine from the wheels.
Do circles and work on super slow clutching. You'll get a feel as to how the revs and clutch work together.

As for hill starts, handbrake until you get confident enough to use footbrake.

Sit on a hill, handbrake on. Clutch up SLOWLY, ever so slowly, keeping revs on about 1.3ish K.
Feel the point where the clutch catches, listening to the sound and feel of the engine. On a hill, you need a slightly more revs than normal. Catch the clutch, and gently increase the revs WITH the handbrake on. You don't want the car to move, really. You just want to find the point where the car WANTS to move.

>TOB
>$600
Try $1.50.

The clutch is made to last the lifetime of the car. The only time it would be remotely harmed is if you constantly grind gears.

Quit making excuses for your bad driving.

>clutch made to last the lifetime of the car
lol how many cars have you gone through, then?

>The throw out bearings are always being worn

Not really. There is very little pressure on the bearing when the pedal is up. It's the bearing spinning under pressure, holding the clutch open that wears it.

>He thinks grinding gears affects the clutch

>practice in neighborhood streets

Don't do this OP, get on the interstate and learn how to feel your clutch and gears. I learned how to drive manual by driving my first car through the midwest.

how do I drive slow? for example if i'm in the city and in traffic, how do i slowly move up without skidding everywhere?

> you don't stay in first at red lights, only if you want to wear your release bearing prematurely
>rev matching is a novelty that only needs (and not always) to be applied in racing environments

So, you're either really novice and have taken advice from fools, or this is a troll thread.

Either way, I don't care more than to give you those two pieces of advice.

Practice in an empty parking lot

About the fact that you cannot follow which gear you're on mmmh well...
Use your ears or keep your hand on the lever

Use only clutch pedal, no gas. Press in to disconnect the engine and slow down when you start to accelerate.

No it is not. Unless you think a car is like a chewing gum.

Any proper, good quality car, that is made to be durable will invariably have to have it's clutch replaced.

When, and how long it lasts it's just a matter of driver care, but in no way a clutch is made to last the life of a car.

Throwout bearing advice is common sense bud, but I don't know why anyone would say not to revmatch.

You'll care when yours bites the dust and you have to pay has much as a full clutch replacement job to remove and reinstall a new bearing that costs a couple bucks.

Then you'll care. I'm sure.

Throwout bearing honestly isn't something you need to worry about. Your clutch ia always going to go first.

Lazy daily driving? On downshifts, yeah maybe, if driving spirited.

Anything else in daily driving environment? Just autism.

It is if you like to hear it squealing the whole time, and then find out you cannot even shift gears one days because you wore the hell out of the graphite.

Not if you ride the bearing constantly at every chance.

Guaranteed failure. Seen it happen and replaced some cause the owners didn't knew what neutral was.

There is literally nothing wrong with Veeky Forumstism.

>he doesn't like listening to those sexy pops and pretending he's in an anime

baka desu senpai

youtu.be/_cbZlhduYJY?t=2m2s
All of you keyboard engineers get btfo'd by a real one.

>8 minutes
>5 things
holy shit who actually watches that shit

That's literally one and a half minute per topic, are you seriously that lazy?

Do Americunts not learn how to drive manual during their driving exam? I learned all this when I was a teenager.

Nope. I was only taught and tested in an automatic.

I find it easier to manipulate the clutch to control my launch and keep the gas pedal steady. Just bring the rpms to 1200 or so and keep the gas pedal where it's at while letting off the clutch.
Once the clutch is fully engaged release it quickly and give it more gas.

>staying in 1st at red lights
Nice bait thread

RIP clutch

yeah but he is supposed to do it like a week or so until he get start normally.

>Confusing 1st and 3nd
Just don't aply any pressure to the gear knob sideways. Bang, you got third gear.
Want to engage 1st? Bring the knob towards you and push it onward. Same logic aplies to 4th/2nd.
>Launching
As you already know, every car has a biting point for the clutch. Even if you drive two equal models, the clutch discs may be worn diferently and thus will operate as such.
Until you really learn the ideal clutch/thritle sweetspot, try pumping the gas during launching. But only just so you can keep a steady clutch engagement. If you try to find this sweetspot right out of the bat, you may stall the engine, a lot, and this can be off-putting.
>Steep hill launching
If you already know how to rev-match, heel and toe it. It is way better than pulling the handbrake.

What an idiot

just drive and practise.
Most people here have a manual for a first car and it takes around 1-3 month till you feel comfortable. Also because older cars clutches are very different and comming out of the driving school where you have a brand new golf diesel to a 99' shitbox is like you have to learn from beginning.

you have to find out how it works the best for your car.

The SEB collection was originally assembled on rutracker and you can still get it there.

here, click this:

Thanks, man.

stop being American

But I won't wear it out because I almost always shift to neutral because I don't want to hold the pedal.

Will shifting to neutral but keeping the clutch in wear the bearings?

yes

thats the correct way to start from a stop user, you need the clutch in a bit while at super low speeds or the car will stall

Even /b/ puts more effort into shitposting than this

oh god another red light first gear fag thread.

>If it works the first time it ought to work forever
>why do I keep having to replace my clutch?
>well if I go for american made then I could just throw it out when it just dies hopefully it does before I ruin it myself
>"manuals always die after 2 years"
>still haven't had this mythical accident you've been jerking off to and still stick with being in first
>"all of the 150k cars in the world must simply be pure luck"

Use the ebrake when in doubt.

I don't have plates so I just roll down and start. If I tap the guy behind me, i just take off and he can't catch me

I have a 394k kilometer car and it runs smooth

No it's not.

You release the pedal till it bites and then you counter with the appropriate dosage of accelerator.

And hence we conclude that unless you're one of those very rare people that take care of their stuff properly, the definition of smooth greatly varies.