Becoming a better driver?

How do I become a better driver? I just feel like I am some pleb because I only ever drive to work. Same route. Same turns.. When there is construction on the road I normally take, I panic and it feels like I am lost.

I have to use GPS for everything because I just don't remember where I am. I can't change a tired or do anything mechanically on my car. I am afraid to adjust anything and would rather just take it to a dealer. The stress is too much.

How do I become less of a shitter motorist? I feel worthless. I haven't even been on the highway with my car yet. It had 95000 miles on it when I bought it and now it has like 96000 miles. I bought it 3 months ago.

I feel like a bitch. I am 25 and a male. I feel like I should be a better motorist. Have not had one passenger in my car yet.

kys

Get a $500 shitter you don't care about and beat the fucking shit out of it till it breaks, then fix it.

Drive for pleasure. Take no maps, leave your phone at home, and just take roads and enjoy them and worry about getting home later.

Take a long road trip, 1000 miles or more. Just go.

Stop being a bitch nigga. Go on the highway.

Fucking this. Random pick-a-direction road trips are the best.

Alternatively, invest in yourself and go to a HPDE event/school. Analyze your driving and others'. Hell, look up your local SCCA and get in touch with one of the leaders, tell them you're a noob, and go do an autocross.

I just fear being lost. I also dont feel prepared

Yep best advice in here, but do take your phone just lock it in the trunk or glovebox and use it for emergency only!

This. I realized that I never want to drive anywhere at night because I don't know road names only landmarks. If someone asks what road I live off of I honestly don't know. I use my phone as a crutch for GPS.

Where are you? Also, you can navigate using the sun and moon's positions. I don't mean break out a sextant and book of stars, I mean if it's morning and the sun is on your right shoulder, then you're more or less headed north, that sort of thing.

Experience and natural skill. I'm a god-tier driver so with experience I unlocked my natural talent.

I live in urban massachusetts.

I prefer driving at night but only on roads I know.

Dude, your nearby countryside is beautiful. Drive the Hell out of the city on a weekend. Make it a two day trip. Go into the hills, or if you can swing it, three-day trip to some mountains. Might be too late this season; dunno when you guys are going to get deathsnow.

Seriously, my best road trips involve getting more or less lost or stuck at least once. There is so much to see, so many beautiful places you can go if you just GO.

>Pic related

>Middle of nowhere
>35 mph
>Do not pass
>Bike lanes

What shithole state is this?

>bikes lanes on the highway
what gay ass state are you from?

git gud

A nice little preserve in Iowa is where I took that picture. That road is wide, the bicyclists (which are thankfully few) stay in their bloody lane, and you can hoon there pretty easily. No cops out there, maybe park staff once in a while. I've flogged both of my motorcycles and my project car out there and had no issues.

I was born in FL, but have moved all around chasing jobs.

Oh I thought it was california or something, Iowa is cool. The scenery admittedly looks good.

It is a pretty state in places. I miss the mountains from when I lived in CA and NM (and road trips to CO, my God), though.

>CO
If any of you visit Colorado, the view from Pike's Peak is awesome and CO-82 between Twin Lakes and Aspen is a must-drive. Fucking amazing, really.

Go cruising. A lot. Every day. This is how I learned to ride a motorcycle.

Don't go anywhere. Just go out driving. Don't even think about where you are or where you're going. It doesn't matter. Just have fun with your car. Put some good driving music on and just think about shit. Eventually you develop a circuit. A series of streets that you like to go on that have small things that you don't know you notice until they're different. Eventually you won't even think about the fact that you're on your home course. Every crack, every dip in the street, every weird lane switch, shitty light and the end of a blind corner. Start with this. A safe loop, where if you can get back to your loop no matter where you are, you can find your way home.

You'll start to challenge yourself too. Can you make that yellow light? Can you time your braking just right to bounce the car on the suspension and go over that speed bump at 45? Can you oversteer out of your driveway just a little? Where do your tires start to slip? What does that little knock mean?

I put 9000 miles on my motorcycle in 6 months before someone pulled out in front of me a month ago. I'm losing my fucking mind because I did this so much that it was my only form of release. You start to need it pretty fast if you're that kind of person. Some people just aren't.

>motobro
Dude I hope you get knit back together and back on a bike soon. I wish I started riding sooner, but it's fun and a great escape.

road trip
I was forced to drive an 11 hour road trip about 6 months after I got my license, havent felt that way about driving since since. Also another user mentioned getting a $500 dollar beater, this will teach you how to work on cars and not be afraid of working on them.

I'm fine at this point. Lost more skin that I would have liked and now I only have 9 toenails. Don't have a bike anymore though. Going to be a good while longer before I can afford another bike and another set of gear though.

Wear your gear. ATTGATT is memed out, but that shit saved my life. Ride safe.

You should check out highway 64 sometime (grant wood memorial highway) really awesome hills and curves on the surrounding roads

Florida bikelanes a shit.

Aside from being right next to cars, there's one near me that just fucking disappears on a busy turn. Not like anyone really uses them anyways though.

I wear my gear; I've seen enough to know how stupid squidding is. Also, it's maximum comfy having a nice, warm ride when it's cool out and no one else is on the roads.

That one's on the to-do list. Haven't yet made it that far northwest out of DSM, but I understand it is damn pretty out there.

>When there is construction on the road I normally take, I panic and it feels like I am lost.
Jesus Christ, this is the world Millennials have caused.

I went more east actually, E/NE Iowa has some god tier rodes especially near the Mississippi (I'm from Cedar Rapids)

>rodes
Roads

I know that highway fright feel. You just have to drive more on the highway.
If it makes you feel any better, most crashes are on surface streets and not on the highway.

Best thing I did before going on the road was take an Autocross learning course. It was called Starting Line or something like that. For 400 bucks I got a helmet, SCCA membership, and a days worth of flopping my car around cones and spinning out with an instructor in the car showing me how to get better. By the time I left I had probably twice the experience and skill driving than when I went in. I would HIGHLY recommend it for noobs. Once you do that in would start going to autocross regularly. Conefagging is cheap and gets you good seat time as well as meeting friends.

be an Uber driver on weekends.

Grant Wood is fucking mint mate.

I've been exploring New England the last couple of weeks. Massachusetts is a shithole and Vermont has some dope ass mountain rounds. New Hampshire is tolls and shit.

Also some highlights from the class were:

1. Look ahead at least 3 seconds
2. Brake straight. Do not brake when in a turn.
3. "Roll" the weight from front wheels to the back. Weight should be right in the middle by the time you hit the apex of the turn.
4. If you don't have ABS, (even if you do you should still do this) learn how to slowly ease the tires back into traction when they lock up.
5. If the rear end starts to slide out, ease off the gas before you try to correct with the steering wheel.

Most importantly just pay attention and look ahead. It took me half the day to be able to look ahead. Knowing what is about to happen with the road is the best skill a driver has.

>sun and moon's position
Am I the only autist here with a natural sense of where north and south is?

Having to drive standard after driving auto for 4 years really taught me this whole "looking ahead" thing.

>northeast vs northwest
We'll apparently I need more coffee today. I haven't yet gotten out to CR yet either.

We are all dead anyway lol. So wtf are you afraid of?

At 18 I said fuck it.. Bought a beater and drove with with this girl from Munich to Belgrade just for jokes.

Nope,
Portuguese-American AKA natural birn navigator here.
At any given point I know what direction I'm facing, and just use relative directions to find my way when lost instead of a map or GPS.

They fist fucked i-275 you have no idea

They fist fucked East Germany pretty hard too.