LAND BARGE

Just got a 98 Town Car Cartier with only 65,000 miles on it. I am in love. (Not mine, but very similar). Anyone else on the unstoppable Lincoln/landbarge train??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9u0qMqpNfnQ
ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=145609
youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm saving up for an panther as well
Barges ftw

Is there any other semi recent landbarge aside the fleetwood, the roadmaster, and the lexus ls. Also if its fwd its not a landbarge.
>inb4 740 and s-class

Would you consider the MKZ a land barge?

It's larger than its competitors

I might get a continental when they depreciate under 20 which should be like a year

>no v8
>fwd
The only thing ressembling to landbarge on the market is a charger with a v8

This.
Land barges are a dying breed sadly.

dont think there are many senoirs on Veeky Forums

Are you kidding? Half of this board is Mexican.

but how many of them are seniors

not many I bet

Does this count?

Just about all of them. Girls aren't into cars.

Oh, that better be diesel for the ultimate in malaiseyness.

>semi recent
Panthers were made right up to 2011, dude.

>tfw you will never own a Marauder and swap the ugly Crown Vic front end for a 98-03 Marquis wide-headlight front

>ever wishing the diesel 350 on anyone for any reason
Jesus Christ user.

I fucking love lanbarges and USA cars, if I would get my drivers license 1 mont earlier than I did I would buy oldsmobile delta 88 with 350 petrol v8 similar year to yours, 4 door, for my first car in yurop. I know a chance like this will never come again for a price like it did. 2 years later and I'm still mad and carless. Nice car user by the way.

was the 350 diesel getting at least better mileage ?

yes

when the new contis do depreciate, we will be in a new era of cheap barges

Not really. They were also really fucking awful engines period, basically a Rocket 350 gasoline engine that they kludged into a diesel engine. Lots of known failure points and few of them were ever taken care of properly because everyone including the mechanics serviced them like a normal gas engine.

I didnt mention them because they are a meme(not in a bad way) here.

LS400 > Panthershit

I used to have a Mark VIII. I loved that thing, despite its flaws. The electrical system and air ride system were utter shit and had to eventually sell it due to too many bugs popping up. None of the door sensors worked right, the ignition coils were always failing, had to replace the air compressor twice, has to replace multiple air shocks, the gauge cluster would stop working sporadically...

It was a great car that was built poorly.

Get a holden statesman, wk ones are nice boats, wm is bloaty though

So I just picked up a 94 towncar. What are the problems to look for?

what should I sell my 98 deville for?

deville has 82k miles and towncar has 74k, both are immaculate.

Are land barges fun to drive? Considering a crown vic for my first car because the amount of retired interceptors in the used market has made the price for them so low.

91-95 4.6's all burn oil due to shitty valve stems seals. EGR passages will probably be clogged up too.

Other then that there decent cars.

>tfw I finally had to put away my Town Car for winter.

Fun? No, not really. They're just really comfy.

If you want a panther buy something nicer than an old vomit comet.

It will be shit regardless, but at least you don't look like a whacker in a Grand Marq or Town Car.

Big boaty cars are nice because they are comfy. I drI've a lot of 10hr trips and countless 2-6 hour trips. You need comfort for that.

No it isn't gonna do sick drifts or beat track times but your back won't hurt when you get out.

MOTHERFUCKING SS OUTTA NOWHERE

do jap barges count?

Why couldn't GM Have treated the 90's caprice like Ford did with the Crown Vics? Keep that sexy design and just make steady improvements over the years?

Id love a modernized 90's style Caprice/impala ss.

>No it isn't gonna do sick drifts or beat track times but your back won't hurt when you get out.
They'll do sick burnouts with a simple brakestand, though.

More money to be made in SUV's.

sadly yes.

I'm still surprised Ford kept the panther for as long as they did. Hell, it had the same body for 20 years. It, the Ranger, and Econoline were all left for dead essentially.

the last couple of years was pretty much just fleet sales for taxi and police use. Crown Vic was just a solid car all around. why mess with a good thing.

Mine does sick drifts and isn't comfy really, head touches the roof and i'm normal height

wrong ss mate

Cheap ass plastic intake manifold cracks eventually. Otherwise they're pretty good cars.

No but I'm on the unstoppable Lexus train

Hey, that's a pretty nice Camry you got there

>implying that's a bad thing

On a side not, I want a house with a semi-circular driveway

Daily reminder the Lincoln Mark line is THE BEST line of automobiles in history.

Man, I feel sorry for high mileage Mark VIII owners.
My Mark VII has really low miles and a motor that is cheap as fuck.

All the mark VIIIs have been ran up on the odometer because they were phenomenal cars until shit started shorting out and the bags needed replacement.
Speaking of which, I replaced my bags, shit so easy I didn't even have to take my wheels off.

Lower right looks like a retarded Aurora.

damn thats a great picture

It really does, but surprisingly it has a 4.6L 4 Valve motor on it.
It's very quick, and came out with 280 horsepower in 1993. Some stories claim it would do 170 with near stock. Mirrors removed, lowered, and speed tape.
Quite an impressive car if it wasn't so fucking ugly, fat, and American for most of the people here.

youtube.com/watch?v=9u0qMqpNfnQ
even clarkson loved them

might be

>wrong ss mate

Take your faggy ass australian Chevy SS and fuck yourself. Impala SS was the last true american Land Barge before becoming a bitch shadow of its former self.

do you know where to get that fake wood stuff? Would I just have to buy the wood vinyl and make the moulding by hand?

>7.0L V8

C'mon.

Honestly, I'd just get a custom vinyl made.

>fake wood stuff
It's called Di-Noc. There's all kinds available but apparently some grains aren't easy to get anymore. This thread talks about some choices

ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=145609

WHY DRIVE AUTO????

Because almost none of these cars came with a manual transmission, genius

?

Ok but that is a custom job, not from factory

Ya, but it's an easy swap. And after I sold the AOD I pretty much broke even.

If you want to gear jam in your landyacht there's no reason you can't.

Di-noc is a brand of vinyl. They also make carbon fiber print.

>4000 pound land barge with a lazy V8 meant exclusively for cruising
Why the fuck would you want it stick?

Especially if you've got the column shift. Column shifters are fucking love.

You clearly don't understand the purpose of these cars

It can be fun, but for cruising around an auto is where it's at.

I've left my Town Car bone stock for just that reason. It's slow, handles terrible, has horrendous brakes, but its still comfy as fug.

The 90's Caprice is an underrated landbarge IMO. Shame people didnt like it's styling at the time.

no. just a large sedan.

Land barge is a very specific combination of very long and large car, with a large lazy V8 in the front, and RWD. Styling varies, but more often than not it follows some variation of 3 box design, where the trunk and hood are a seperate entity from the cabin, unlike most cars today that integrate the trunk into the cabin in an attempt to emulate coupe styling (think ford fusion, for example)

mark VII is an underrated car. I briefly looked for one alongside typical town cars and GrM's

True Land barges died in 77 and 79, the B body, and Panther however lived on in spirit with under powered v8's (at least until the LT1 for GM), ancient BOF construction, live axle RWD, ect...

Their neat cars, but like every old luxury car have their flaws, mainly that their just a pigfat foxbody.

I liked my Turbo Coupe better.

It's weird because it looks so similar to the aero Crown Vics (especially around the rear windows) and those sold like hotcakes.

Roadmasters look better anyway.
>tfw no woodie roadie wagon

depends what you consider fun. I have fun driving my Grand Marquis, but really for psychological reasons. When everyone around you is a bar of soap or 4 cylinder shitbox, having a gargantuan car with the trunkspace for about 5 dead bodies and the heart of a sleepy mustang with the power to back it up, and the comfort of a couch on wheels, it's a special kind of feeling. I get a big grin on my face when i drive it.

There's someone at my job that has a Prius with a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker, and I like to park near them for the psychological high of parking my big powerful American V8 boat next to their commie shitbox.

Call it autism, but fuck the car is satisfying to drive.

Also column shifters are underrated, imo.

>Panther however lived on in spirit with under powered v8's (at least until the LT1 for GM), ancient BOF construction, live axle RWD, ect...
Don't forget column shifts, bench seats, multiple cigarette lighters and ash trays for everyone, a trunk you can store a subcompact in, and body panel gaps you can stick your dick through.

I always thought aero vic's looked better, and had the better interior. Obviously the 94-96 B bodies had the much better engine.

My buddy in college had a rotted out 93 roadmaster, straight piped L05, pretty much the Veeky Forums wet dream

because nobody wanted it. the early 90's caprice was soundly beaten by the Crown Vic in all areas. SPECIFICALLY in fleet use, which is the sole reason the Panther lasted as long as it did.

they stopped making Caprices in the mid 90's because their mid sized cars sold better, and demand shifted from large sedans to SUV's, along with GM already being in financial trouble, which meant they couldnt afford to keep trying to keep it alive.

Also at the time, reviewers didnt like it's styling, and said it looked like a "beached whale".

>tfw you get in and cozy yourself up and turn the heat on and hear that CHHK-CHHK-CHHK as you row through the gears

they really do not resemble each other at all. And Aerovics were smaller than the caprice. Certainly shorter. And their styling particularly in the front was what sold them. they looked like aerodynamic sedans. the styling was also based on the Taurus, which had been a massive hit.

I've never heard of Mark VIIIs having more serious electrical problems than any other comparable car. I drive one myself, and while you need to replace the bags every 15 years (fronts are including the shock absorbers that you would replace around that time anyway), the car has no real weakness. They are excellent cars, especially for what you are paying for one at the moment.

Nobody wanted it? Beaten by the Crown Vic in all areas? What the hell are you smoking?

It's not a problem specific to Mark 8's. My Mark 8 that I talked about up there only had 70k miles on it when all that shit started happening, which is rather ridiculous. Also my mom had a Continental around the same year as well as a Mark 7 that both had a lot of the same electrical issues. They just had really shitty electrical systems in general.

Chevy ss

Look, it was an ugly car. Deal with it.

Not sure if this counts as a barge, about a foot shorter than a Panther.

yeah I know he fucked that one up but still...

6 or 8 cyl?

honestly I wouldnt count it because it's not really long enough. but its still comfy euro luxury

Shit son you got no idea

Just got one of these off an old dude with a freshly-rebuilt engine. First time I ever felt a properly-working Northstar and goddamn is it smooth. If they had just put a de-tuned LS4 in these things people would love them.

Luv the LS.

Too sporty to be a barge. The SS is a sport sedan in the same league as the BMW M5. In fact, it's often compared to the M5.
youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

mean machine, only saw one in yurop though, the interesting part was the caddy dts parked behind him, I came in my pants that day

Chrysler 300

Too small

The new V8 Cadillac CT6

it probably won't get a v8, cadillac engineers are somehow to much in love with l4 and v6s

Northstar engine would be so nice if it wasn't a colossal load of broken horseshit on every car it taints

Supposedly next years model will get a twin turbo DOHC 4.2l V8. Not exactly landbarge material, but at least it's a V8.

Still regret not buying 2002 Buick Park Avenue with 80k miles for 2k while I had the chance. Seller was a very suspicious negro, but the car looked almost perfect.

I daily drive a Roadmaster sedan and if anyone can find a LT1 powered example with low miles they should buy it. It's an Impala SS in old guy suspenders. I used to have a Fleetwood from the same year and it's almost 2 feet bigger

oh really? I know they were talking about twin turbo 3.7, I've never heard about 4.2, anyway I hope you are right, I think their sales would be bigger in europe with a v8, you can get stupid l4, v6s and disgusting diesels with german cars.

>my shit opinion is what matters, deal with it, cis scum!

Im pretty tempted to start a car company just to bring back full sized rwd sedans... and a few other neglected areas of the car world. But then I think "these cars dont exist anymore for a reason" and I get sad.