>post what you've fixed on it recently
>post what you've upgraded
>post how much you love the damned thing
>post anything BMW

Other urls found in this thread:

carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18716314
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18716314

Thoughts? A lot of miles but body/interior look clean as hell and you could eat off that engine block (and yes I know they steam cleaned it, but still). Carfax looks fine.

Kinda overpriced tho for the mileage and you'll have to put some money aside for maintenance when something fails but i would offer less for it if i were you

>carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/18716314
the steering wheel and driver seat look all worn and the paint job looks like it would only be good in photos, it has some cool wheels but thats it, it's one major failure away from being a huge 5000 dollar mistake.

Reposting from last thread

I am the proud new owner of a manual E30 325is
It's not perfect
>Bad paint
>Seats are kinda bad
>Weather stripping is gone
>Some light connections are corroded so you need to wiggle them sometimes, but it tells you when they go out.
The good
>No rust
>Fixed the AC
>Nice Sony head unit
>Owned by my uncle who is a mechanic and kept it in good enough condition
>Bone stock
>is
>$1000
How did I do?

If you want a nice car, not very well. But if ya can paint and find a new interior etc then you can have an awesome car.

How is she running /bmwg/?

My GF bought a 2000 E46 coupe yesterday with the old reliable M43 4 cyl engine but today I was appalled when I realized that there is no dipstick?
What the actual fuck why would anyone remove it?

Just a heads up from someone who dealt with the m43 enough: all gaskets are your enemies, especially the timing chain cover gaskets and head gasket. Other than that, good reliable choice when maintained correctly.
Also: check the rubber piping from the airflow sensor to the intake manifold, they always crack at the bending and suck in air.

I have posted this before but I'm in for a new car next summer and I can't decide between e46 m3 and evo9.
E92 m3 would be nice but its 10k more and I don't want to spend that much on a car.
I have yet to test drive them but what do you lads think?
You can get so easy power out of evo for so little money it is tempting, m3 needs an sc. €€€.

All good so far, need to tackle some rust on the arches next year but engine / gearbox / clutch all working perfectly at 145k

Think I will replace it with an E39 if I can find a good manual one when this one breaks

nice.
Mine is doing great at 146k. Never giving this car up...I'll do a motor swap if I have to

There's a nice manual E36 being sold near me for less than $2k.

I need a car to commute about 20 minutes one way and probably about an hour back with some stop and go traffic. It has 220k miles.

Should I look further into it?

My e46 320i is bucking back and forth violently if i even dare look at the clutch wrong when moving from a standstill or when i put the pedal down a bit too quickly and making clunking noises from the rear. It's as if some mount has gone but i dont know if it's the engine mounts, transmission mounts, or diff/subframe mounts. it's as if some rubber component is being stretched out and released when it happens. also, it's not the subframe being in tatters as I've checked it out and it looks good. Here's a pic of the car the day after I bought it.

What rims are those? they look good

>220k miles
>$2000
>nice
>mfw
I wouldnt go anywhere near anything newer than an E30 with 200,000 kilometers on it, let alon miles

Ugh really? Even if it's well maintained? Would it just shit itself at any point you think?

>all electronics work, radio windows sunroof etc, just replaced battery. Headgasket, oil pan gasket and cooling system done 14k miles ago bilstein HD shocks good brakes and tires

BBS makes them. I can't remember the model num

Personally I wouldn't know because I have an e46 but still, any car of that age the milage takes its toll on every single rubber component on the car. you'd have to wait for a reply from someone else on this thread. I have been advised to stay away from an e36 with 200,000+ KMs on it before however

Ah ok, well thanks for your input. I have a real life friend that is a 'BMW enthusiast' I guess that has been maintaining his own E30 for a while. When he saw this ad he showed it to me and has been lightly pushing me towards it. This is also convenient for me because the seller is within walking distance basically, and I wouldn't have to drive 30+ minutes to look at it. Of course that doesn't matter though if it just shits itself right when I get it.

That is really nice, never seen a facelift one with amber indicators. Suits it really well.

What engine is in yours?

thanks. It's a US 325i so M54B25.

the piping was indeed cracked and is now wrapped with a tape
but still, why the fuck is the dipstick removed and how do I check my oil

something is wrong if there is no dipstick, what do you want us to tell you?
you could dump the oil into a measuring container

If you wanted a project or a mild fixer upper you did good

My latest.

>10k usd
>Want something comfy

Wut do i get. Looking at 328, 335is but they high mileage, 100,000+ Miles. My dad has a2000 323 but the reverse doesn't work so it's a shit car. Stick shift would be desired but I'd settle

comfy is 5 series
e60 or e39
I love the comfiness in my e60 it is so nice to drive

>see m stripe grille coming towards me
>check rear view
>base model 28i

every

time

literally

why

E39 is comfier
E60 feels like driving a boat
Best looking bmw in awhile but man are they cramped/impractical

"Best looking bmw in awhile but man are they cramped/impractical"

Thanks. I'm really happy with it. It's a blast to drive.
I also own an e46 (330i) and e90 (328i). The F22 (M235i) is actually about the same size as my e46. The F22 feels for me to be a perfect size, but then again I'm not a "big boy" and yeah, the rear seats are only for short distances or for children.

what's up

i like the way it sits mang. Before pics?

chug that whole thing and see how fast you can drive around your neighborhood

hell ye

Thanks bro.
Here you go. Sorry for the shitty photo, but here's stock for the comparison.
Very happy with the Dinan springs.
Cheers.

god you're a faggot, I can already tell

nice odo lmao

tops out here
that's not even a high mileage for the e60, these go for 500+k kilometers easily
im straight as fuck btw

Enjoying the rain.

fuck off you nobmw

>find myself driving my miata way more than my 540i
>realize its mostly because the miata is stick and 540i is not
>needs to save up $1200 for the 540i manual swap
>keep spending it on other shit
fff

It's probably because the miata is smaller and lighter.
I've driven the e60 M5 MT. Nice, but much more work to drive around corners, parking lots, etc

seems like the 540i needs a lot more steering input too, but that's fixed by going to an m5 steering box,which is another thing i need to do

Nice, I like that color, here's mine.

surprised by the lack of M. never really understood why enthusiasts would settle for non M. ie why buy an e90 328 or some shit, rather than an e46 m3?

>diesel

I'm still driving my first car, e46 325. Couldn't afford an M3 in high school. I'll buy an e46 M3 after college.
I agree with you for newer models. I think the older gens look better anyway

M3s are abused, unreliable, slow if you have the US versions and expensive currently. The E46 is also hideous.

Guess the thought of preventive maintenance and over average insurance rates scares them away.
Currently keeping mine in storage over the winter, since the roads here are more salty than this guy

>never really understood why enthusiasts would settle for non M
Oh I'm sorry, have we found out how to grow money on trees yet? Or was I confused, does being an enthusiast mean you have shitloads of money? Not everybody can afford an M, and not everybody wants to settle for a shitty abused overdriven ancient M car with 15 years of farts on the seat.

I've been looking into getting an e36 328oli for a first car. I can probably spend up to 5k and there is a few in my area. I can get for that price or cheaper. Is there a better alternative or things I should look out for?

Friend had a E46 M3, it was an electrical disaster. I had an E36 M3 and it was powerful but still very underpowered for what it should've been capable of.

>I had an E36 M3 and it was powerful but still very underpowered for what it should've been capable of.
can you elaborate on this? Is this like the "getting used to a fast car' thing?

the M3s in the US were watered down heavily compared to what the rest of the world got

i like having a car that wont meme me straight into an overdraft on the first major repair

>M3s in the US
Whoops. forgot about that bit.

lubbly
neat pic and neat color

>post what you've fixed on it recently
nothing apart from raising it 20mm from this pic
also need a roof latch

I wanna join the BMW club. I really like the looks of the 330d, or 328i. Are they good choices or something different?

Thanks, your one is really nice as well. Still undecided if I am going to change the amber lenses for clear ones.

When I get my front arches done hopefully it will look as good as yours from that angle!

Yeah people like to hate on US M3s because they go a fraction of a second slower to 60 while costing 2/3 the price and having 75-85% the horsepower. :)

I will give to the EUs that they have nice glass headlamps and foglamps that you don't have to rewire to not turn off when you put on the highs. But good luck with maintaining that engine!

>But good luck with maintaining that engine

Are they really that bad? I know parts are expensive (even in the UK where BMW parts are cheap) thanks to the M tax, but if the other BMW I6s are anything to go by it should be fairly reliable and easy to work on no?

The interior on these fits me so well I don't think I'll ever be able to drive another car. Everything is so perfect. I really don't know what I will replace my E36 with.
I gotta ask though: am I the only one who's thought of as an asshole on the roads? I've been thinking about it and I've never had an act of kindness happen to me.

EU M3's engines were produced far less and were much more complex. Parts are more expensive, repairs are more expensive. US M3's engines are great for FI.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love a EU M3 too, but the US ones really don't deserve the hate they get. Really it is all just autistic spouting.

That one guy on YouTube with a GT (facelift in the UK), I don't watch his videos but every thumbnail I see it is him stating how it is a mess and he is going under the bank's foot or whatnot. Not sure if that is the common case, but US M3 engines have been very reliable, on the other hand. Be more concerned about the transmission, because it seems people don't want to take care of them.

I have the same feels as well with mine. I'll tend to do reckless moves when driving mine but sadly one of those reckless moves was the last one and the one that killed the chassis. To me an E36 is the easiest car to get comfy driving but sadly I have to move on. It was fun while it lasted but I'm thinking I'll defect to a Toyota for a while, I'll go back to an E36 if I can find a clean one that I won't abuse.
I'll miss that orange glow ;_;

I may rip the highways and backroads at times, but I am always courteous to let people merge and take turns and all that jazz. And then I am for sure straight in the neighbourhoods. Go the speed limit, stop at signs, etc.

Was snaking a new speedbump the other day though and then this guy tried to suicide in front of me with his three dogs yelling that I was the reason they were putting them in. Drove around the block and came back and talked to him when he was hopefully calmer. Soccer moms bust the roads at twice the speed limit in SUVs but I am going over a speedbump at 10 mph and I almost have to call the funeral home?

Just don't do shit near the populace and you are alright. People aren't always rational, though.

But yeah, if you have a loud car people seem to think you're going twice as fast as you are haha.

Since discussion has kinda moved to being treated like assholes, has anyone done anything to your cars in the parking lot or while parked? I came back from doing a coffee run and found my driver side mirror pushed forward.

mfw mirrors don't budge

I'm always super nice to everyone around me to fight the stereotype but really it's other people that keep it going sometimes. Although I do see BMW drivers that hoon around with a loud fartcan on their 318i touring at midnight, most are pretty civilised. I need to get a dashcam and make an 8 hours of driving through Breslau as a BMW driver meme video.
Yeah, some cunt threw/spat half eaten plums on mine like a week ago and about a month ago I found a used tea bag on the back window and half eaten slice of bread on the hood. Asked the neighbours what the fuck was up and appearently some old hag who's completely fucked in the head throws garbage out the window Oddly enough, only I got the treatment and some Audi guy got collateral'd and also had a tea bag. It might be that I come from the North and live in the South currently.
BMW unrelated, some asshole kicked/punched the driver's side mirror in my Twingo.

Anyone know how to fix needle on instrument cluster? Wtf mine just dead today because I hit a pothole, it's a fuel gauge needle, digital instrument fuel still werks left at 23 litre and right tank at 33.

Potato quality but here are the aforementioned plums.

my e46 is the same. No touch screen or wheel bullshit, just a few buttons right where they should be. Nice and compact, my right arm can reach most of the car while driving.
It will be "replaced" with another e46

My dream is to have an E39 for long trips, Twingo for daily driving and E36 for hooning. Some day...

Perhaps it knocked a gear loose? If so, take it out and reassemble the gearing.

Damn what a savage Ms. Plum.

In my neighbourhood the big BMW/e36-head is a nice old guy. Sometimes the McLaren and Porsches speed up and down the hills (pretty tight streets), and the guy with the Lambo has a metal ramp assisting his driveway but is now sandwiched between two big speedbumps lol. Too bad the 850Ci was bought by the people just before they moved.

If I had that dream I would add a 325ix E30 for winter beating. sounds like a very comfy dream

But then again most everyone goes fast, girl with her white Jetta, the various Lexuses and old Accords and whatnot. Then there is me going down hill in first no throttle letting out pops and bangs. Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one who gives a shit about the rules?!

What in the fuck are you like a conjoined identical twin? lol

Yay Twingo.

muh bimmers
anyone else here own more than one bmw?

I semi-lived that dream when I bought my E36 but haven't sold the Twingo yet. My family had 5 cars per 3 people at the time lol. Twingo, Megane, Audi 80, Audi A3 and the E36. Dad's friend jokingly asked if we were opening a museum. Megane is the newest, 2001. Such is life in Poorland

Just how unreliable / expensive are the automatic gearboxes in late 90s BMWs?

I really want an E39 but 90% of them are autos

>bmw
>auto
>ever
I've heard that they were pretty shit but no first-hand experience.

Slow acceleration, you'll always stay at 3k/low rev range most of the time in 2nd gear. Definitely not as good as they were new. Very very poor mpgs overall, I got about 15mpg hwy and 12mpg cruising in my old autotragic lemon E36.

Also it had a M50 but it sure as hell holding the engine behind on power

just picked up this qt for $900 as a project car :))))(read: as a 2nd car for when my e39 m5 is broken)

>That one guy on YouTube with a GT (facelift in the UK)

the car throttle guy?
if so he is a bit weird

fun fact, i have the same car and have used the garage he went to when he brought it
the common problems with euros is the vanos (more complicated compared to the switch type used in s52)
other then that they are preddy gud
i have never been in a us m3, but have been in modified 328s and which is not that far off stock s52 and they are quick

New bolts on jb4 stage 2, down pipe, full exhaust.

Just for you pic related

As for m3s the e30 went way up in price, e36 were half-assed by bmw because they didn't think it would sell well in the us but great cars for how cheap you can get one for, e46 have hit rock bottom and are going to go up in value in the future and only a 5 hp difference with the euro version and the e92 and newer models are still too pricey for most people

It's because the average BMW "enthusiast" with a base model is

>going to manual swap it soon!
>got stage 3 cat back CAI and a tune so it's actually faster than the M!

tfw u have n46b20 engine and it drinks oil like a maniac

anyone have any experience with these POS? its an E90 318i

If it sucks like a hooker when you remove the oil cap when the engine is running you need a new positive crank case ventilation valve (PCV)

If it smokes when left to idle you need new valve stem seals.

I have done both, neither is a nice job on the 4 cylinder engines.
Although mine wasn't drinking oil, just had the smoke thing and leaking oil from the bottom PCV hose.

>majority of knowledge from forums
sorry I went to business school instead of working at pep boys

>someone actually took the time to make that picture
All that wasted time when he could have been living his life, ironically, as the people he mocks are doing. They might be lame enthusiasts but at least they don't go to bed gripping to their self worth because they "have an identity on Veeky Forums"

Some of my collection.

Eurospec M3 in the middle.

Missing my LagunaGruen 850i with 51000 km.

This. As opposed to what? Youtube and Veeky Forums?

I can't decide between a 2011 335i and a 2008 Porsche Cayman.

I know the Cayman is a true sports car. Does the 335i compare? I hear that the 335i is soft, but I also hear that it's a monster is a JB2 tune. Please help me filter fact from fiction, /bmwg/.

What's wrong with car cleaning supplies?

Yellow is soon to be.

#TRIGGERED

Nice shipping containers. How do you choose which car to drive? One for every day of the working week? Sunday no driving? Are you shomer shabbos?

well i mean, e90 suspension mods are the thing
porsche is nice though
335i will be far more practical