Nissan Xterra

I've got a '01 Xterra on my radar for $8500. Only one previous owner, garage-kept, 63,000 miles.

Been looking for something to haul more stuff around, any owners here have some positive / negative experiences with these?

Thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

thompsonlexus.com/details/2001-Nissan-Xterra-Doylestown-PA/16532427?cid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shit power, shit MPGs and shit ride but otherwise good

What shit do you need to haul around? I can carry a 6 foot ladder and tons of tools in a 01 civic so you don't need some pigfat thirsty suv.

Will run forever but shit mileage and will rust if not taken care of near the wheel wells between both wheels.

>$8500
Hope you like negative equity.

you better know how to spot bullshit.
if you ddnt know how a truck is supposed to sound and feel at 63k on the odometer then you are fucked. trust me. a healthy young engine feels very distinct

you should know how easy it is to roll back the odometer, it always works on suckers like you.
all you need is a piece of hardware like Jprog, it plus into any obd2 port and reprograms the odometer. extremely simple and easy to do.

an engine bay is extremely easy to clean. everything can be made to look spotless naturally, without any shily amorall shit those greasy mexicans spray onto the engine. the same can be done by pressure washing the underbody and suspension components. another thing to look out for is wear on the gas pedal and especially the break. it should not be warn at all at 63k
the steering wheel should not have any smoothness from its factory molded texture being flattened

dont be an idiot and fall for the low mileage meme from a private seller.
they all do.

>$8500
How about no.

If you're going to spend that money, and want 4 doors, get a crew cab truck. It will be better in just about every way.

Assuming it's not a single owner car, can't you just go online and get a feel as to what the mileage should be?

The first get xterras have awful highway handling. I was working at a Nissan dealer when these came out and had to deliver one 50 miles away. I was seriously scared of the way it drove on the highway; the thing would simply not drive straight.

Generally the better something is off road, the worse it is on road.

I hear XTerras are pretty good off road.

spend the extra 150-250 and have a mechanic do a compression test.
make sure you ask about what compression tester the mechanic uses. you want some fancy shit like snapon or even fancier and trust is equipment is in perfect order.

you want a dry compression test only and the numbers need to be exactly at factory spec or higher.
one single point lower and you walk away

>$8500 for a 15 year old truck

I own a 2000 Xterra and I only paid 4 grand for it. I love it, but you would be a fucking moron to spend that much on a first gen. Even a low miles second gen like one in your pic is hardly worth that much.

Must of had fucked up suspension parts or bushings. Mine drives great on the highway, even with bigger tires and my rear sway bar removed.

you are surely being frauded

and with all that being said, the xterra is shitty as hell.
dont fall for the japanese reliability meme. the first gen xterra is by far the best, second and third are total garbage.

but the problem with the first gen is that shitty engine they install. i cant think of such an underwheling engine being put on anything else. the engine operates wayyy out of efficiency range, and the timing and intake/exaust are gimped ontop of this. it guzzles gas. think of it like a suzuki engine which is always rat at WOT
its extremely stupid

but other than the shit engine which is literally the heart of the vehicle, the driveline varies from decent to OK
the axles are nice but the 4x4 system is your typical worthless limited slip shit

only an idiot buys these japanese trucks because they have absolutely no fucking idea as to what they are doing

It was a brand new car. They had just come out back then, so it's possible that Nissan didn't have all the bugs worked out yet. I still remember that day though and how I thought I would simply swerve into the median and flip over at a leisurely 60mph.

OP here, thanks for the input guys.

If it makes you guys feel any better the car is from a dealership (Lexus) - I'm planning on paying cash for and won't settle unless I get a decent price.

They won't let it walk for anything under $7500 I'll bet. They took it in on a trade and I'd bet it's not as clean as claimed. As others have said it's not the best to buy, what do you even plan on hauling? A small pickup may be just fine for you, like a ranger or Colorado. If you need passenger and interior space maybe a suburban or tahoe.

i dunno nissan makes some damn good LSD's, maybe its just the older school ones that are good, one in my patrol locks up real quick smart

Man, that's a decent price op.
you should go for it!

Mostly all my belongings between college and home - I also do a lot of camping in the middle of the state.

thompsonlexus.com/details/2001-Nissan-Xterra-Doylestown-PA/16532427?cid=0

Listing for anyone who's curious, I'll take a look at some other recommendations.

The reason I picked the Xterra is mostly because I had an uncle and a friend who both swore by theirs, effectively ran them into the ground with little more than regular maintenance.

Maybe they were just lucky.

LSDs dont hold any significant lock unless they have an active clutch-pack driven by a hydrolic pump

only other way to lock is by mechanical locker, and nissan ddesnt make those or use any from gm/chrysler/toyota/aftermarket

You dont seem to know how LSDs work.
Or offroading in general

after driving my patrol round a muddy field i can attest to the fact they do in fact hold bloody good lock, not the total lockup of a manual lock, and nissan DID, many 94+ patrols/safaris had manual lockers fitted standard

dealerships rollback the odometer.
i live next door to a high end bmw dealership in a good neighborhood in los angeles. and trust me, they do it

i know this as fact

you think they wouldn't because its risky or something, but they dont care. it brings them hundreds of thousands of extra income per year and its impossible to be prosecuted legally

as a side note the 04 toyota hilux we have as a farm truck has a fucking ratshit rear lsd, only locks up under hard wheelspin, and disengages way way to quick, the one on my nissan is light years better, damn thing will lock up going around roundabouts to hard

are you fucking retarded?
LSDs which are not driven by pump only lock at very little force before the lock is blown open

they are worthless for offroad
yes, most 4x4 systems are a meme
gm, jeep and some toyota options are the only vehicles which are capable offroad from the factory

dont be fucking stupid

You'd be doing well to ignore the dude with an Xterra vendetta. The V6 in them ain't brilliant, but it's more than adequate.as noted previously the MPG isn't the best, but that's every single mid size gas 4x4 SUV.
And I wouldn't listen to the critisism of the lack of lockers either. They're a brilliant upgrade, but a luxury, not an offroad necessity. If that retard believes LSDs are inadequate offorad, then I'd wager in his case the operator is inadequate, not the car.

>gm
>jeep
>capable
HAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJ
Now i know youre a retarded trolling trip fag.
Dont know what i expected anyway.

>I know, because I live next door
You're a fucking dropkick.
a) odometers don't wind back like the old analogue ones
b) if the cars been registered with previous owners and has factory log book history (ie; any late model Bimmer being traded through a dealer), you simply cannot without legal ramifications.
Good job trying to substantiate unsubstantiated bullshit though.

Not the person you're responding to, but I have more reason to believe you're the retard. Not them.

your simply flatout wrong, maybe its just US spec cars, iv only really had experience with nissan and a little toyota stuff here in NZ, but the GQ nissan patrol ones are deemed so capable most people only get lockers for the front.

KBB is under 4k for a pristine example tinting belt jobs are a bitch 3ed great likes to fuck you and so does over drive

The maf sensor likes to die at around 100k (80-200 USD)

The ride is shit

The interior Is shit

There piss slow

There only redeeming quality is there usefulnes in snow

A fag formally known as Xterra bro

and youv got to be joking, half that US shite doesnt even come with proper ball joints, its fragile as fuck compared to what the japs turned out in their prime.

OP again, I'm glad to hear both sides on this, I honestly couldn't have anticipated more feedback.

Everything I've read basically says that the Xterra is a truck that's very thinly disguised as an SUV, and should be treated as such.

I'd say the dealer is asking a steep price, and I don't think it's worth settling for anything higher than $7500 - even with the "low" mileage and one-owner whatever.

As a college student, I'd say it fits my needs of carrying people and things + tearing up between east and central PA, especially in the winter. It seems like something that can manage everything from camping and commuting - but I'm definitely still open to alternatives.

I really do appreciate everyone's input.

3/10
filthy dumb niggers

filthy dumb nigger scum

Nice argument Mr poster known as Veeky Forums

filthy pre teen whos only mechanical experience is being an armchair mechanic

B-b-but i live next door to a high end bmw dealership in a good neighborhood in los Angeles!

this is true
i keep stepping up to the plate with purchasing a vehicles with problems to fix but i keep getting cold feet.

large suvs just seem overwhelming
their size and weight

plus i dont have any of those 700lbs cordless electric impact guns
they start at $400

And Americans go on the defence and claim other are the shitposters. Congratulations, you're an Ausfag tier shitposter.
>offering wisdom and advice when you lack the wisdom and experience
Basically falcunt. At least you given us the benefit to filter your posts by trip coding.

i know i keep using these but i love them so fuck ya,
if only you amerifats got these, perfect project cars, old iron head injector pump fed 4.2 inline six diesel, some of the heaviest engine internals ever fitted in a road car, its originally a forklift and bus motor, the basic engine is nearly indestructable, the only time iv ever heard of them breaking is when people put over 25psi of boost through them with bolt on turbos
the whole drivetrain and chassis is stupid strong, and retard proof simple, nothing is easier to work on, or harder to break by being a muppet about it. and parts are everywhere due to the cult aftermarket following, these are skyrocketing in value here in NZ and australia

Just fucking do it, get something that's known to be easy to work on.
You don't need an impact gun to work on any passenger vehicle / light truck.

Just go an get it, and when shit starts breaking, fix it, and if you don't have the tools go to harbor freight and buy it.

no you dont understand
i ddnt want to crawl under that shit.
it doesnt seem right.

i need to think of something better.
i want to make wheel ramps out of wood which are both higher and more secure than the stupid plastic or chinese metal shit they sell everywhere

jackstands and jack combo seem dumb as fuck too.
minimum would be 12ton jackstands and only used as backup

anyone have any other lifting ideas?

see, thats the best thing about off roaders, iv never had to use jacks on mine to get under and work on it yet, only time itl need it is when i do the shocks and bushes in the near future, just get some adjustable axle stands and a hydraulic jack, tough and simple

ah, wheel cribs

need to make wooden wheel cribs

Sounds great mate, but with safety laws and emissions Whatnots, importing this would not be worth it.

>only lock at very little force before the lock is blown open

you're an idiot. a 90s pathfinder lsd has a breakaway of 280 ft lbs, which is more than adequate for offroad

>anyone have any other lifting ideas?
Yeah, use jackstands that are rated for at least what they're lifting like any other normal human being you retard. And like the other guy said, proper 4x4 SUVs have enough clearance to usually be able to work on underneath without jacking.

And stop handing out dud advice when you're more clueless than the person you're advising.

What are some good aftermarket routes to go for something like this?

Just got a 2003 xterra 3.3l for $5200 but it had alot of work done to it and it's a one owner
When I accelerate I can hear like a really quiet knock under 2000rpms and there is a tick like a lifter at idle. Anyone know what it could be?
I didn't hear it when I was test driving it cause the heat shield was ratting really loud but I took it off

can you back that up with anything?
280 is not shit up against the weight of the vehicle once you are at an incline or you are in mud.
there is nothing which puts tension on the lsd clutch.
absolutely no point of bringing that failed shit offroad

if you buy japanese, it only proves you dont know shit about what you are doing

damn you are so right
Veeky Forums is not a shitty offshoot of neogaf and reddit

filled with quality people such as yourself who know shit

So, in the midst of your sarcasm, you're excusing yourself for trying to make others dumber? Trying to act Zen when you're intellectually disabled is acceptable?

> is not shit up against the weight of the vehicle once you are at an incline or you are in mud.
If you're up an incline there's a better chance the weight of the vehicle is spread across both rear wheels you pleb.
You'd understand this if your entire offroad "experience" wasn't based purely on reading Patterson's magazines.

Look for a nice, low mileage, 1st gen 5.0 AWD Mountaineer or comparable Explorer. Way cheaper, nicer inside with more features and will run forever.