Why so many retards count Rus as vikings...

Why so many retards count Rus as vikings? I didn't know Vladimir is a norse name or that having one norse generation of rulers that later on intermarried and had half slavic children counts as norse dynasty. Are vikingboos mentally challenged?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.ro/books?id=7itWI-x8l-MC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=origins of Rus lomonosov&source=bl&ots=pyiTFwh7ft&sig=b5o9GyoWqvhODhv0p70VF2Ql8ls&hl=ro&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF7OrlkunOAhUmAsAKHYV1DdMQ6AEISDAE#v=onepage&q=origins of Rus lomonosov&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>one norse generation of rulers that later on intermarried

Why not? It's apparently good enough for the Normans.

No one aside from the most delusional vikingboos considers Normans either. They spoke french, had french wives, french mothers and even Rollo's son was 50% frankish so they were as Norse as Americans are Irish.

Obsession with "what ethnic group was X" is the worst thing about Veeky Forums.

they were finns.

>vikingboos invented the idea that Rus was Norse

Just when you thought Veeky Forums couldn't get any dumber.
Ironically, it was butthurt Russian wewuzism/slavboos who denied the fact that everybody else knew for a long time.
But you're probably not even Russian, just some American memester.

Shut up Pekka.

>everybody else knew for a long time

Source would be nice. I wanna see what made you so sure that the origin of Rus people which is still debated was absolutely Norse.

I'm sure Igor is a norse name.

Igor
Etymology
from Russian Игopь (Igorʹ), a Varangian name derived from Old Norse Yngvarr, Ingvarr, from Yngvi (name of a god) + herr (“army”).

Yes those names really sound alike. I've heard the name Richard is derived from Norse Ragnar as well.

but it is true

books.google.ro/books?id=7itWI-x8l-MC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=origins of Rus lomonosov&source=bl&ots=pyiTFwh7ft&sig=b5o9GyoWqvhODhv0p70VF2Ql8ls&hl=ro&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF7OrlkunOAhUmAsAKHYV1DdMQ6AEISDAE#v=onepage&q=origins of Rus lomonosov&f=false

Wow a German guy who didn't have anything to back up his theory how convincing. Is there anyone from viking age who mentioned any vikings in that area?

So, just out curiosity, what is the "true" origin of Rus? You seem to know.
I hear that suddenly they're not Norse anymore and saying they're Norse is "vikingbooism" or something, and this is somehow still a controversial subject.

Oh so you have no source to back up your 100% sure claim? Typical.

no it's not. Finns have never contributed with anything and Finland is a meme country

:-/

Richard is Ríkharðr in old norse

They were Finns who racemixed with Iranians.

Who cares, over time Russian culture evolved into something that's very different from Scandinavian culture.

False equation, and poor example.
The Irish American thing refers to people of significant Irish ethnic heritage relating to their ethnic homeland, and their new world cultural fabric in America's metaphorical quilt.

The Normans on the other hand were only somewhat ethnically Scandinavian, and were rather unique in their identity, because they certainly weren't all gung-ho Frenchified. Hell, even their name as a people is the Norwegian word for a Norwegian. Their personal names, visible especially with those they brought to England, were Germanic, and they spoke French, yes, thus influencing English's vocabulary to a substantial degree, but they weren't identifying as French, not by a modern degree, and certainly not by a historic one.

yes but, who WUZ?

WE

> I didn't know Vladimir is a norse name

Actually people still can't agree whether it's a genuine Slavic name (Ruler + world) or a Slavic bastardization of Waldemar.

Especially when retards anachronistically try to squeeze modern ethnicities into a world where they didn't exist yet. Like the WERE THE FRANKS FRENCH OR GERMAN kinda shit.

Seeing as how the -mir has loads of variations (Slavimir, Bogomir, Božimir, etc.) and there are other Vlad- variations, such as Vladimil, Vladislav, etc., I think it's safe to say Vladimir is slavic in origin.
But that's just like, my opinion.

RYSSÄ
we Finns call Swedes "Ruotsalainen" and Russians these days "Venäläinen" (because at some point people decided it was politically incorrect to call them "Ryssä")
Ruotsi in the west, Ryssä in the east, we getting raided from both sides in the middle.
Then there is the Swedish region of Roslagen, apparently from which some Vikings moved to Rus-land.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roslagen

ro-word being related to such things as rowing etc. (the area where the rowing people came from to raid)
curiously enough modern Finnish words "ryöstää" "ryövätä" both mean stealing, and in spoken language it sounds quite close to ryssä.

Assimilation happens all the time. In Slovak there's a name Ľudovít which on the surface looks Slavic as fuck but in reality it's just slavicized Ludwig.

Vladimir, Vladislav, Slavomir, etc.
Waldemar is probably adoption from Slavic.

Yes I realise that, most european languages have a fuckton of that with biblical names at least.

But still, -mir and Vlad- are just about the most common old slav name variations apart from Slav- and -slav :^)

another word which came to my mind is Finnish word "roska" (garbage) which sounds very much like "rossiska" (Russiska, Russian)

another somewhat negative word is "raiskata" (to rape), which again sounds a bit similar to other R-words mentioned above.

>Sweden in Finnish = Ruotsi (same root as "Russia")
>Russia in Finnish = Venäjä

vene-maa, boat-land
where the rowing people from Ros-lagen from Ruotti row to

Actually no, it has the same root as "Wend" which is how Germanic people used to call Slavs living on the Germanic borders. It ultimately can be traced to the Veneti who also gave name to Venice, it has fuck all with the Finnish word for boat.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Slavs, is in fact, Wends and Slavs, or as I've recently taken to calling it, masterrace and slavshits. Slavs are not an ethnic group unto itself, but merely a linguistic group made useful by based Wends, a vital group thanks to which Europe exists.

Many Veeky Forums users mistake Wends for Slavs every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the Wendish group is often called "Slavs", and many of Veeky Forumsterics are not aware that it is basically the Wends, a Central European masterrace.

There really are Slavs, but Wends are no part of it. Wends are different, much more civilized and stuff. This is essential for you to realize. Slavs often include Wends, but basically it's Slavs with Wends added. All the so called "Western Slavs" are really Wends

every time I read this pasta my hair starts falling out

Yes thanks for the stale pasta.

>current year
>the idea that Rus were Norse is some nebulous controversial thing.

Wew lads. Whats next? Franks weren't really Germanic but Turanic or Slavic?

I'm not even saying you're wrong, but this is what many people know, what we heard in school and on TV, even before the internet became so widespread, at least here in Eastern Europe.
>Russia was established by the Rus people who were Nordic people from Scandinavia.

I even remember the whole Vladimir/Valdemar and Olga/Helga. It was a basic fact like Romans speaking Latin.

Wikipedia article about Rus' people mentioned it's debated that's why, altough know that remark seems to be deleted but it still mentions the dispute further down in the article. On the other hand some fucking retard on the same site called Magnum an Israeli company which also had to be corrected.

Because Swedish Vikings went to what are now the Baltics. Later on they sailed down to what would eventually become Kiev. They married into the Slavic families until they were essentially bred out.

Viking is a job, not a race, not a nation, not an ethnicity. It is a summer occupation, something you do while others work their fields.

Rus literally is a norse word for "the people who row" or some other shit. Rus were people who rowed down the big rivers from Scandinavia to whatever Persia was called at the time to trade furs and slaves for steel and spice.
"Russia" or the city-states and principalities it was composed of was formed to facilitate this trade, by these same people.
Thus the Rus, or the people who founded the russian river cities, are indeed "vikings", as in they also went viking when they weren't trading.

>implying the finnish empire didn't singlehandedly kickstart human civilization over 100,000 years ago

Literally the only people who considers it to be controversial are Russian pan-slavists but those guys also believe the most outrageous conspiracy theories on Earth. I think it was Stalin who banned academics from supporting this theory since it undermined Russian nationalism or some shit, for everyone else on Earth it's a non issue.

t.

>or some shit

Oh so I see you know a lot about the subject.

But Russians are WE WUZ VIKINGS AND SHIET, they even are making one movie about vikings.

>Ruotsi - "the men who row"
>Roslagen - "the rowing crews"
>Finnish, Estonian, Võro and Northern Sami names for Sweden: Ruotsi, Rootsi, Roodsi and Ruoŧŧa

Just because I can't be arsed to write you a short essay repeating stuff you can find in google in 5 seconds, doesn't mean I am wrong.
Read a book, or some shit like that, fag.

>americans make a movie about vikings
>okay
>russians make a movie about vikings
>WE WUZZ

Basically you are grasping at straws.

So you wuz sayin' we wuz finns and shiet?

About vikings in Russia.

it's a derivative of a word "ros" which is eastern norse for "to row"

No, Tyrone, you shit, I am not saying that at all.
Pretending to be retarded is not an adequate defense when getting told, by the way.

I'm Russian and I can confirm we are 100% finnish.

I am a learned man and I can confirm you are 100% wrong.

Even anthem of the Soviet Union started with the words ''Spurdo, Spurdo, you so ebin''

I just checked that, and you seem to be wrong.

You propably stumbled upon a mistranslation.

Rus nobility begin as Norsemen who gradually became slavicised over the years.

Rus people were totally and wholly slavic.

Jesus, I didn't know people still deny that Russians are Finns. Bit racist to deny your roots

Ahmad ibn Fadlan refers to Slavs and Rus as different people also the culture of raiding (''They have no fields but simply live on what they get from the Slav's lands … When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, 'I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon'')

and the ship burial is not slav like at all altough they indeed slavicized later on. So to conclude Rus were both.

Rurik founder of Russia was genetically what we might call a "rape baby" with a Finnish haplogroup. Most likely he didn't speak more than a word of Finnish since the genetic cucking happened maybe even dozens of generations before him.

But that's wrong. Finnics very closely related to Finns are the natives of the land of Novgorod.

So basically a man who was a living manifestation of Finnish dominance over Scandinavians created a country on Finnic land inhabited by Finnics, some of whom had become Slavic speakers.

Yes, we Russians are eternaly grateful to Finns for helping us create this glorious country.

But you guys need to stop bullying other countries.

No lol.