Driving Anxiety

I know this isn't a mental health support group but I'm wondering if anyone else gets anxious and scared while driving? I'm going on 20 and still have my province's equivalent of a learner's permit because I'm so frightened.

I seize up while driving, people pass me all the time for going to slow (if I go at or barely above the speed limit I get barked at by my mom in the passenger seat), people give me the finger and holler at me calling me a hoser very often and then I let go of the wheel to give them the finger and get them to frig the fuck off.

Has anyone dealt with this or have any tips? Would a driving instructor be able to help with this? I don't want to shell out 500 bucks if they don't know how to handle these types of things.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Duct tape your right hand to the wheel and hit that highway

I can't legally go on the highway with my license (G1) unfortunately but thank you for your suggestion

That's alright, same principle works on local roads and both hands firmly adhered to the wheel.

remember to cut your brake lines too
they are just a crutch for your insecurity and lack of skill

Grow a pair and tell your mother to shut her whore mouth because you would rather not get runover in traffic for going so fucking slow.

In all honesty, driving is just about confidence and lack of hesitation when maneuvering. If your not a confident driver then you probably aren't confident in general, so I would try looking at this problem of confidence on a much bigger scale of your life.

Not trying to be mean here, just telling you like it is. Be confident and do what is necessary to achieve that confidence, even if it means telling your mom to fuck off and stop bothering you while your driving.

I guess you're on to something... My mom is really an angel and a good driver, never been in an accident in her life but she gets paranoid when I drive and then I get paranoid and lose any confidence I might have had like some kind of feedback loop. Unfortunately I'm not really close with my dad so being taught by him isn't much of an option.

I guess I might have to put out the cash for a driving school if I really want to learn. Thanks for your advice

Are you in Ontario posting at 4am?

normal people are afraid of the things least likely to kill them
like sharks and lightning strikes

bath mats and light bulbs are more deadly than your bugbear car crash
youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Final exams coming up sleep schedule is fucked

I guess but it's still a scary proposition being in control of over 1000lb of metal flying down a road

if its going to happen there is nothing you can do about it
and fear of failure is removing any possibility that you would succeed

Id like to think I go down in a blaze of glory
and I have tried to crash many times but self preservation and luck kicked in
honestly accidental food poisoning or falling asleep in a bath tub has come closer to killing me

force yourself to drive. put the seat as far back as it will go while letting you reach the pedals and gearstick, lean back and just fucking drive, fast, a lot.

CBD's/sativa
Ayy weed lmao

>contraindication HOOO

mescaline + roaccutane
zopiclone + alcohol
grape fruit + 4loko
saint Johns wart + almost any perspiration drug

granted you end up in a ditch before you could get far enough to crash

Rather than a regular driving instructor, you might want to see if you can find a race driving school that will let you participate with your current license status.

There are lots of kinds. Some will teach advanced driving techniques, others just meet at tracks and let customers drive retired race cars.

Point being, after experiencing some high speed driving or extreme circumstances, you might feel a bit more confident behind the wheel.

>others just meet at tracks and let customers drive retired race cars.
>more than one on the track at a time
become the master of anticipating and dodging other peoples fuck ups
start to notice more of your own mistakes

Get a bus pass faggot

Maybe watch a season or two of Canada's Worst Drivers just in case your family taught you some bad habits? At this point (unless you're really bad), a driving instructor would just be for driver training for cheaper insurance once you get your G2.

This is probably the root of the issue. If your mom is paranoid about you driving it is getting passed onto you. And if your close with your mom and trust her judgement in everything then you are doubting yourself because she doubts you. I've seen it lots of times with my wife and some of my friends. As soon as my wife moved in with me about 2 hours away from her family and quit seeing them all the time her confidence grew. It was just because subconsciously your primary caregivers words and actions affect you. Even if you know they are being ridiculus. Her parents anxiety and insults have effectively stopped her from learning to drive manual. I bought her a car (one that I liked and am driving now so shut up. Also that's how you approach that situation) and tried to teach her but as soon as she screwed up the clutch release or got some tire slippage or something she would shut down due to anxiety. That's because her dad always made her nervous when driving and the few times she tried to learn manual as a kid she got yelled at for it. Just get your license as soon as you can and once your on the road by yourself things will get better.

That being said. Keep your hands on the wheel at all times especially while your nervous and learning.

Git off my road pussy.

Your mom is making you nervous. Go drive some roads you know will be clear of cops and other cars. Do it solo and drive fast. U will eventually get your confidence.

I know the feeling. My mum was a fucking terrible passenger, screaming out "STOP! STOP! STOP!" when I was approaching a red light, or if someone is trying to merge in front of me, or yells at me to go 20kmh under the speed limit on a highway.

I told her "I've got eyes, take a chill pill, I know when to stop at a red light."

The way to respond is to pick them up on their driving habits when they drive. Say "you forgot your indicator", or "watch out for that car"
Eventually my mum realised I was more observant that her.

Still, to this day she's still telling me to go 20kmh under the speed limit on highways, every time I have to remind her that it's illegal, and I'm not going to go slower than necessary and get stuck behind people if I don't have to. (had my proper license for 2+ years)

It helps to put calming neutral music on, like coldplay or something.

If you haven't gone to driving school before getting your license, I'd still recommend it.

oh fuck I know this feeling. I would always fuck up when driving with my overly-correct father. (nothing major, but simply stupid maneuvers.) He would always tell me what to do when driving and that would bother the fuck out of me. I got my license and drove all over the country through the summer without problems. Driving alone without anyone fucking with my thinking is bliss.

Drive alone or get someone else in your car when driving. And drive more, that will help.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I'm not anywhere close to OP's situation but I've noticed that my gf's constant shitting on my ability to drive has gotten rid of some of the confidence I used to have behind the wheel.

Despite driving two cars perfectly well that scare the everliving shit out of her if she ever has to drive one (can't seem to control either of them somehow, almost killed herself 3 different times last chance she had to drive one), she constantly says that I'm a shit driver, have no idea what I'm doing, and shouldn't be on the road.

Little less confident in my actions than I used to be, taking a little longer to make decisions because oh no what if she yells at me for doing something she thinks is wrong.

I really need to get the fuck out of this relationship.

Learn the difference between your and you're before giving out advice, you stupid fuckhead.

>gets anxious and scared while driving?
No because I'm not a millennial bitch. Grow the fuck up.

G1 eh? I've had my G for 7 years.

Where you be? I find most driving instructors screw around and parents can be hit and miss for driving lessons.

In my country you have to log around 22 driving hours with a driving instructor before you are allowed to attempt the final driving exam to get your full license. There is the not exactly legal option to skip some hours if you're good enough but generally instructors here are very helpful. They point out your every mistake, give you usefull input and tips on driving while also being able to save the situation if you do something stupid. The more i drove with an actual competent instructor unlike my parents the more relaxed i became when driving, eventually the anxiety just fades away when you start driving by muscle memory.

Find an empty parking lot and let the clutch drop to get the nerves out. Once you feel a growth in your groin that resembles a pair of eggs, you're good to go.

At least I'm not above the age of 30 and still visiting a Cambodian weaving forum, grandpa.

Thanks for your answer. I think at this point I'll just ask my mom to kindly shut up for a bit and then put money down on an instructor in a month or so.
Is 22 hours with an instructor enough time to learn how to drive or did you have to put in more time on your own / with a family member?

>tfw learning to drive stick
>tfw at a red light in heavy traffic
>tfw light turns green and i panic so the car stalls
>tfw every car behind me is honking and giving me the finger

my anxiety is doubled when i'm on a hill and some dickhead gets right on my ass. any tips? i can't into first gear

are youa girl?

give more gas, fuck it

>give more gas
>launch into the car in front of me

rev it up a bit higher and drag the clutch a little bit longer.

I don't mean, rev it upto 6k and let the clutch out over the span on 20 seconds though. If you normally engage the clutch at 1200 rpm, bump it upto like 1600rpm and just engage the clutch a tiny bit slower.

I remember teaching my brother how to drive stick. 4 stop intersection right in my neighbourhood. Its his turn, stall, honk, stall, hooonk, stall, HHOOOONNNNNKKK, stall, FUCK IT I'LL DRIVE, all of a sudden 2 man Chinese fire drill. I dumped the clutch at like 3k and peeled out lol.

>my anxiety is doubled when i'm on a hill and some dickhead gets right on my ass.
I'm fine with manual and don't give half a fuck when people do that; if I roll into them they were too fucking close.

Anyway DO NOT DROP THE CLUTCH WHEN THE CAR STARTS TO MOVE, KEEP LETTING IT OUT SLOWLY

find an empty uphill road and practice the shit out of using your handbrake to start

or just drive automagic and do not bother

We're all dead soon anyway, might as well have some fun.

I taught myself manual, including proper hill starts, in a fucking afternoon.
>mfw retards talk about over-revving and chirping the tires so they don't stall, or using the handbrake to start

This isn't so much a problem with your driving, as it's a problem with your confidence.

That comes with time. Just stop assuming you're going to fuck up. You haven't hit anything yet right?

Stop doubting yourself. Be confident that you're in command of the vehicle.

You have to bully back.