Why did they make the 2017 refresh look hideous?

Why did they make the 2017 refresh look hideous?

Because it appeals to their buyers. Focus groups and all that. And I'll bet the infotainment system has the latest iteration of Apple CarPlay on a huge touch screen.

Nobody cares about performance in that segment. It's all about looks.

Personally I want something *like* a Ford Fusion with a 5 liter V8. In dark grey with 17" wheels.

swap front with owner of an older year that likes the way it looks
or just get another front end from the many body kit options available

honestly though it still has the same problems as previous years so you're better off grabbing an older model for less and just doing the usual upgrades with the dollarydoos you saved

Designers needed to do something for their paycheques, and execs want to pull in buyers with a makeover. It was a mistake, as was moving the "86" badge. They should've either put their resources into refining the engine.

On the other hand, the 86 has been around since 2012. Part of me is hoping they'll retire the current version in favour of developing a second generation, although I'm sure they'd water it down to not step on the Supra's toes.

Full house. Nice.

Imagine that car with even JUST the WRX motor in it.

"They can't afford the insurance."
Fuck 'em. America. Choice.
Make it the STi or TuRD or something for $5K more.

More than 50% of FRS sales are manual. Obviously it must appeal to enthusiasts who actually have taste. None of them want this shit.

Hell, the BRZ sells 70% manuals.

Full house. Nice.

This. There's daily posts in the club about people who bought autos, regretted it and now want to go manual.

It was never a performance car, but a sports car, why do people not understand?

Only autists care about manual. Modern DCT is superior in every way

Wait - uh, sorry. I'm an older fucker.

Can you explain the difference to me? I don't get what millennials call what today.

I used to call muscle cars one thing, and sports cars another. Is a performance car a muscle car now? Can a performance car handle well? And why can't sports cars have an excess of power?

I don't get it. You kids have all sort of weird excuses for underpowered cars than handle nicely, and overpowered cars that handle like a wheelbarrow.

Which the auto FRS doesn't have

Have you owned one and driven it for more than a year?

FWIW- I was on the friction material development team for the DCT/DSG's employed by Audi/VW in the late 1990s to late 2000s. I worked for the primary Tier-1 supplier. I am a materials engineer with a primary background in tribology, brought in to try to save the project. 2008 was a wakeup call for all of us, and I GTFO of automotive before I was summoned to testify.

I owned a 2011 Audi TT from 2011 to 2014. It's a piece of shit excuse for an automatic. The programming can't keep up with the wear and damage to the valvetronic shit. Add in the dual mass flywheel and well, RUN!

Ask yourself how long clutches would last if you roll coated them with a paste of abrasive goop and cement that prevented the clutches from exchanging cooling fluid with the sump coolant. It's a flawed design skewed toward ease of manufacturing.

>2008 was a wakeup call for all of us, and I GTFO of automotive before I was summoned to testify.
Wat

I've considered buying a golf r and getting a stage 3 tune, but I'm not sure how the dct would manage over time

>refresh

More like regret.

Because they want it to look like the new Supra. This is like how all new Merc sedans look like the S-Class.
This is how Toyota will make it profitable to have a car that will probably cost near $100k, and they don't care if it makes the Supra buyers upset.

Think about the sales if Nissan made a cheap GTR look-alike that was easy to tune and had muh jay dee em background already, the fanboys would be buying it in droves.

>supra concept looks like the retarded sister-cousin-wife of a corvette and a merc

Change the fluids in the DSG, and change them often. Filters are especially important. Consider it a cost of using a DSC. I don't know about the drivetrain in the R32 or Dual Mass Flywheels. I've tried to get away from that crap since my friends from the original group were let go in 2008 layoffs.

I always hated dealing with the combination of turbo lag on the 2.0T and the DCT prediction based on throttle position / velocity. Launches were always random on the TT.

I bought the TT based on conviction of my belief in the design. But I learned the DSG in the mid- late 2000s was failing, right around the time we were all laid off before we could fix it. Later I learned / confirmed the DSG's friction materials were the source of the failures of the valve manifolds and filtration and fluid change was the only answer.

Good luck. Germans will NEVER admit failure. EVER.

This
Remember before the 86 was released Toyota kept trying to sell it as a "mini-supra"?

Dad please leave

But you fucking weebs keep telling me that a Toyota badge makes it indestructible and perfect in every way. It's not like fandom ever clouds a *toyota* fanboy's logic.

FRS/BRZ has a CVT.

That's not weebs. Toyota's reputation is that they build durable cars. Ever heard of the Toyota Tax?
Same shit with Honda really.

>More than 50% of FRS sales are manual
I call BS until proven otherwise

Wat