Which is better?

Which is better?

Automatic in every way that doesn't matter
Manual in the one way that does matter

Whats that little light for? I've never had a car with a light on the shifter.

should've at least posted an E9x AT shifter

pic related

Probably shows what gear you're in. Why they did that, I don't know.
Each has advantages and disadvantages, fuck off.

it looks like a reflection from the interior light

It depends on the person.

I enjoy driving as an activity. I like MT as it gives you complete control of how much power you put down. No guessing what gear the car will be in. More involving.

New autos are faster in a straight line, and also good if your car is an appliance (easier, less involved.)

Does that manual shifter have a gear indicator? I didn't think any manuals had them.

I know the rest are park race drift slow but what is l?

It's just a reflection.

Automatic for comfort, manual for engagement and efficiency

>Which is better?
Whichever one you want

There is really not a "better" alternative. It's all a matter of preference.
I like manual because I've got a pretty powered car and it's fun as hell to rev it to 7k and throw in the next gear, and when the gear just pops right in it feels good.

/thread

no contest

Neither. Both have pros and cons.

>no leg hair
>man hands

You must be one ugly trap

Manual has no advantage except for the "fun" factor
Autos also allow for "manual" shifting so manuals are fucked for everything else

muh engagement

>snow

>Automatic (Torque Converter)
Parasitic power loss (Uses 85%, lost through the fluid coupling), Comfortable shifts, less efficient in city, (final gear ratio and if it has a mechanicalmlocker will base the highway economy), easy to drive, more expensive to repair, more complicated to repair. Some sportier transmissions can shift quickly, but not as fast as a DCT or manual.

>Manual
98% efficiency (All mechanical, city driving will have better economy), driver engagement, cheaper as an option, less comfy shifts (can sometimes be more comfortable shifting if your good enough), cheaper to repair. However, if your dumb, you can damage synchros and clutch, can shift faster than auto.

>Double Clutch Gearbox
Very quick shifts, 98% efficiency (All mechanical), snappy uncomfortable shifts, more complicated, very expensive to repair

i have an automatic and i get 39 in the city. its not a hybrid

in what world do manuals and DCTs suffer only 2% drivetrain loss?

Regardless, you would always get better economy in the city with a manual. 39 sounds impossible though for any car, unless its like a 1.4l shitbox.

I would love to confirm the numbers, but I've seen charts where manuals used 98% of torque while torque converter auto used 85%. I know a RWD with a center diff would lower that on both, and I just guessed for DCT. Regardless, any fully mechanical transmission will be more efficient than a fluid coupling torque converter automatic. As in, using available power. Economy would depend on gear ratios and the transmission.

see

racecar

I will also add on a performance perspective, the loss of torque in a traditional torque converter fluid coupling would result in loss of wheel horsepower. Drivetrain as well, I read somewhere that on the toyoburu, the longitudinal RWD platform results in a loss of 20 horsepower. Combine the toyoburu with an automatic, you'll probably be running 140 whp, instead of 160 with a manual.

Also, on the same perspective, automatics on most cars will try to get to the highest gear possible for economy. Combine that with the slow shifting and the time it takes to downshift from throttle input, you'll be struggling to compete on a track.

A manual/DCT is required for performance. Even if you have a slapshift, parasitic power loss, slower shifting and the higher weight of an automatic transmission can't compete with a fully mechanical manual/DCT. Automatics should stay with commuter cars and trucks, not performance vehicles.

Up both numbers, I meant 160 and 180. Excuse my stupidity.

>We're making a manual car.
>Yesssss
>4 months later
>Word from marketing, they said everyone hated it, we're making this an automatic now
>...
>Make it an auto shifter style
>n-no

I have to know, what is the most retarded looking factory shifter, on any form of car or truck ever?

>Automatic (Torque Converter)
That's true for older ones. Newer torque converters like the ZF or Lexus 8 speeds will lock in second to eighth gear so it's more efficient overall.

"low"

brings the hydraulics down so you get less drag from the air.

It's L for "Launch" you retards.

Automatics are the thinking mans transmission, and the most common choice in the 1st world, whereas manuals are a relic of the past and people only cling to them so they can pretend they are manly.

>automatics were literally made being advertised as so easy that even a woman can drive them and other than in the US and japan no one in the world uses them

If you cant spare grey matter to learn how to drive manual dont expect people to think you are better because you drive auto.

>t. Assblasted rock throwing caveman

A computer can determine hundreds of variables and engage a solenoid faster than you can even react, stop holding onto the past.

This.
>your status
[ ]told
[ ]not told
[x]Stone Told Steve Austin

>thinking man's transmission
>designed to replace the need to think
Not him, but it seems you're the one with logic on par with a neanderthal.

Computers and automatic transmissions design and build themselves do they?

>literally this unable to grasp the concept of the superior transmission

>Computers and automatic transmissions design and build themselves do they?
Nope. They're designed by people who understand how transmissions operate and function for ham fisted neanderthals such as yourself.
>but it shifts faster!
Still accelerates slower :')

>auto tranny is a sentient being that creates and improves itself

Manual makes the daily commute fun

it comes down to personal preference. You might as well ask what color of car is objectively the best.

That being said autos are best for people who don't care about cars and manuals are better for people who like driving.

Try driving to work in peak hour traffic in a manual 1994 n/a 4.2L diesel toyota landcruiser. Oh so much fun changing gears every 13 seconds. Such a pure driving experience makes me feel like such a motoring enthusiast

Fuckin faggot

Each respective gearbox has its merits depending on the engine/vehicle it is mated to and the conditions you are driving in. Driving to work in your comfy country town is not the same as gridlocked downtown NY

Why not both?

I do it in a 4.0L XR6. I also have knee problems from being a fat cunt. It's painful in heavy traffic but I wouldn't change it.

>approaching a roundabout
>braking
>clutch in, blip throttle, back to braking
>dart left-right-left through the roundabout using every centimetre of road
>Three quarters throttle on exit, rear kicks out a bit, huge grin, shift up

Nothing compares to these feels

This was a very funny post. Thank you user.

Been there with a 93 diesel Cruiser, and it's more enjoyable rowing that long truck like shifter than a generic slushbox eco sedan. Faggot.

why dont you drive nissan leaf then, electric cars are clearly the future

They are, friend.

t. Elon Musk