Celica supra mk II

I always see threads bout the mk3 and mk4 but never about the mk2. Anyone got any info on it? Are they worth buying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zUpDcDfoQLQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They're a bit overweight, and a bit underpowered. Overall, they could of been good, but didnt quite get there to be good enough compared to more modern cars.

How's their aftermarket? Any common problems?

A lot of people think that they are crap.

they're all old and beat unless you find a creampuff

Saw one driving by the other night and it looked just as awesome as they did in 1983.

Base Corolla from same year was faster.

not a very good car

They're a cool 80's GT car, and they're fun to drive, if not terribly fast. Supra kiddies hate them because they can't go fast as easily as a MK3 or MK4 can. But if you're not afraid to wrench and you like the idea of a classic sports GT, buy one

Aftermarket is shit, it's not a tuner car

>never driven a 4AC
>never driven a 3TC

The 5MGE literally has double the horsepower and much better gearing, despite the weight. A Celica Supra might not be a blistering fast rocket, but it will straight up smoke a base Corolla or Celica from the same years

What can I swap it with if I wanna make it faster. Forgive me if I sound retarded but could I throw a mk3 engine inside?

>a bit overweight
For their time maybe, but they only weigh 3000lbs, that's not that heavy especially for a Supra

Probably could put a 1JZ from a Chaser in it, I've seen same year Celicas w/ the 1J

Always loved the styling of those particular models.

How difficult would that be?

I don't fucking know, Google it ya fucking dingus

[spoiler]I was just shamelessly bumping the thread[/spoiler]

Anyone else wanna throw in their two cents about this car?

Honestly tho irlts probably not that difficult, I imagine mounts for the engine and trans have to be fabbed and welded, but there's enough room in the engine bay for a 1/2JZ, and I think the trans tunnel is big enough for a R154 or AR5

The easiest swap is actually the 7MGTE from the Mk3 supra. the 5M and the 7M share the same block. The 7M is a very good motor capable of 600ish on the stock bottom end. they just came with bad torque spec on the heads from factory. that and some coils and you'd have yourself quite a beastly car.

pardon me if I sound dumb but would it have the same headgasket trouble as the mk3 if I put the 7m in it?

The headgasket trouble is as simple as remove the valve covers and torque down the headbolts to 75 lbs/ft. then it's gone.
if you want to push tons of power, get a metal headgasket and some arp studs. that'll hold everything together to 1000hp just fine.

He just said the head wasn't torqued to spec out of the factory and chances are if you u were gonna swap one in you would probably check that first, unless you were building it up

>1000hp
>7MGTE
I want whatever you're smoking

At 1000hp they're obviously not stock bottom end, but it's perfectly possible.
rods, pistons, cams, big turbo, e85, maybe nitrous for good measure. How do you get anything to 1000hp?

Well obviously all you have to do is look at a 2JZ and it'll make 1000hp, duh

I love my Celica Supra, it's a fun car for sure and it turns heads. I get compliments on it everytime I drive it and people constantly coming up to me telling me about how they had one or knew someone that had one. A cop let me off once because he used to have an 84.

Aside from my live journal;

They're the lightest of the Supras, but heavy compared to almost every car in it's power bracket.
They are slow. You won't be beating your buddy's Civic, but you'll look cool losing.
They handle like shit stock.
VACUUM LINES.
They don't have a lot of aftermarket, and the little that's out there is expensive.
OEM parts are nearly impossible to find in the US. I have to special order fucking brake rotors.
Rockauto sells a lot of OEM spec parts though, which is good, but since you have to use RA, you'll have to wait for them to ship, and sometimes they don't have the parts anymore either.
You can't hook up a code reader if you get a CEL, have fun trying to decipher the code.
If you don't know much about cars, or aren't mechanically inclined, don't get one. 99% of mechanics will not touch these and those that do are going to fuck them up. Toyota won't touch them either.
Swapping engines is fine and you can do anything you want, 7M, 1JZ, 2JZ are the easiest.
7M is by far the easiest and cheapest to swap by a long shot. They can make a good 500-600WHP pretty easily and the aftermarket is great for them. You just need to find someone to wire up the ECU or hope you're good at wiring and do it yourself.
The 1JZ is the second easiest, (requires fabrication, same with the 2JZ) but the 1JZ is much more expensive (2JZ territory), but leaves more room compared to the 7M/2JZ, but for the price, most just do a 2JZ if you're spending that kind of money.
They will rust. Unless you find one that sits in a garage since it rolled out of the showroom, it has rust, somewhere. Sorry.
They're pricey too for what they are.
If none of this matters to you, get one, they are fun and I love mine.

If you think a 7m is getting to 1000hp, you're on some hard shit. Even with all that shit done to it, you're looking at 800whp at most.

youtube.com/watch?v=zUpDcDfoQLQ
Within a second of googling.

I can google a lot of cars that make 1000WHP, that does not mean they're making it for more than 1 dyno run before they have to be rebuilt.
>75 Shot of NOS

You're telling someone to make a constant 1000WHP to have a 75 shot of NOS with them at all times just so they can attempt to make 1000WHP on a fucking Dyno.

Please, stop with your benchracing bullshit and go out and actually drive a car with more power than your Mom's Caravan before you try to suggest to people to spend 50k into getting a 7m to 1000HP.

I never said that he should, or that it's feasible you excited autist. I just said it's possible. Also, you can literally find videos of that car driving all year. The claims he's driven it from Canada to Las Vegas for competitions and back. Any motor can make 1000 with enough money thrown at it. You said it wasn't possible, I said it was.

Man. I've always loves the looks of the MkII, but reading this makes me sad.

You're not a racing driver. if you can deal with standard old car stuff, you'll probably have fun. not that much different from an early foxbody or 3rd gen.

There was a red one with the same wheels with a fucking 1UZFE with a W58 for sale last year across the country.

I was going to fly over there and buy it and drive it back but it was sold.

It was listed for months and months

Don't let it get you down completely. I'm by no means a mechanical genius and I get by just fine having two. They can be a pain in the cock at times, but they're a really nice car and they're plenty fun to drive.

The great part about them is that, even though shit is hard to find parts for, they don't break often, they are old Toyotas afterall. And even if you can't get brand new parts, you can still find plenty of parts from people doing part outs, or even old refurbished stuff. The downside is dealing with random people can be a bit risky.

Also the Celica Supra forums have more information on these cars then you're ever going to be able to read through, so anything you need to know about them, has been covered, more than 50 times.

Pic is my 83 Celica Supra, the other one is my 85.