/acg/ - Armored Core General: Fluid Mechanics Edition

For all newcomers, Armored Core and all JP mecha discussion here. You are welcome to shill western stuff with JP influence.

Newbie FAQ:
Is there a new Armored core?
Yes it was confirmed by Miyazaki on Sept, 21st to be a Reboot of the franchise: kotaku.com/miyazaki-gives-clear-answers-on-the-future-of-dark-soul-1786887531

What AC game should I start with?
There's a great infographic (which I would post here if I had it, someone give me a link) but most players recommend Armored Core 2 or 3 for old style games, and Armored Core For Answer or Verdict Day for multiplayer.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED LISTEN TO OUR THEME SONG!!!
instaud.io/jzI

AC pastebin: pastebin.com/z1bJS9gF
Read that if you have any questions. If the pastebin doesn't answer whatever question you may have feel free to ask us in the thread.

/acg/'s partially complete recommendation pastebin:
pastebin.com/Wjv8sukr

Steam: steamcommunity.com/groups/armoredcorevg

/acg/ PLAYS

SCRIMMS
>Like the pine trees lining the winding road

SUNDAY NIGHT FOR ANSWER
>I got a name

SATURDAY AFTERNOON VERDICT DAY
>I got a name

Official Strategy guide PDFs for 2, 3, and Nexus :
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_2_Another_Age_Prima_Official_eGuide/1833
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_3_Prima_Official_eGuide/1635
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_Nexus_Prima_Official_eGuide/2226

AC related cover music: ripped from niconico by risto
mega.nz/#!j1l03AjA!beyftPD1gLIsymJC2gdmHpUecO4JHGbg6KdFQNS7htI

Understanding Last Raven technical stuff.
pastebin.com/RfbVYwwr

AC Webm collection download.
dropbox.com/s/eh12d8bhn4o5t3p/AC Webm.rar?dl=0#

A bunch of math reveals WS > ND

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/cjtojr.wav
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump.

What's your opinion on twin-linked weapon arms?

Just to avoid confusion here is the image OP is referring to.

What gameplay mechanics, parts and/or features do y'all want to see returned in AC6?

Personally, I really liked Verdict Day, it took many of the good parts from Chromehounds and Armored Core and made a decent game. It's biggest weaknesses imo was the poor matchmaking and map design.

Bigger and more intricate maps with indoor, outdoor, water, city, nature elements would be great. Instead of a hard border limit players would get a count down from 5 and then be fired upon by normals and turrets.

Make the game 6 v 6 with a operator slot for a Unac or player. The operator can control the carrier vehicle, carrier vehicles can be customized to be a hover tank or airship with a variety of support weapon parts.

UNACs would be extremely important as they defend and attack territories even when your not online. You can even use UNAC programming to defend your title in the arena online.

Players can explore their garage as a customizeable pilot avatar and interact with other players in a hub city. Pilots carry jetpacks and a right and left hand support weapon.

When your Armored Core explodes the pilot automatically ejects. When the pilot is killed the player goes into a camera only mode until the end of the match. Pilots are much weaker than Armored Cores and can only play a support role when out of their mech.

A player must choose one of three factions when starting the game. The player can only defect to another faction up to twice in story mode. Each faction controls a Arms Fort. The more resources the faction controls the more weapons and armor the Arms Fort spawns with.

As you conquer more territories and gain more resources you can put Unacs, normals, turrets etc in maps you control. If these assets are damaged you'll have to pay to refix them or they will spawn damaged making your territory easier to conquer.

AC4 era maps were literally the worst, aesthetics were alright.

I would use ACVD as a combat template, but make a few tweaks:
1. Drop walljumping for air boosting again, but allow toggling (either through double-press or by gently holding the button instead of a full press) to hover in mid-air, slowly draining energy.

2. This is how I would utilize the best of ready position / UW / Back cannons / etc. from prior games

Weapons:
Hand weapons (1): Normal guns. Right arm or left arm. You can store them on your back slots also, accessible after purging your main weapon.

Hand weapons (2): Dual hand weapons. These are your larger lasers, plasma, snipers, etc. and take up both arm slots. They cannot be stored on your back.

Normal Back weapons: Missiles, rockets, support, radar etc.

Special back weapons (1): Uses both back slots, these are giant missiles, area of effect weapons, or manual-aim cannons, very powerful but no tracking.

Special back weapons (2): Uses one back slot and the same-side arm slot. (think: cannon in hand, energy supply on back, or a large melee weapon. These have lock-on aiming (excluding large melee) and are generally less powerful than dual back weapons because of that.

Special weapons (3): Uses both back slots and one arm slot. These are similar to UWs. Only 1-3 uses, but instant kill if they hit. This is very similar to how most UWs in VD work.

So if you wanted to equip a normal arm weapon, you would select it > then select the slot (R Arm ,L Arm, R Back, L Back) to equip instead of the old menu style of selecting the slot first.

3. Procedurally generated missions. Every mission you embark on should pair up a map with a random set of objectives and enemies, getting harder and harder the more you progress through the game. You should also be able to queue up for multiplayer versions of these missions, too, so you can encounter actual player ACs.

for the love of god don't make AC 6x6. We don't want it to become a Moba. More players are not better. Drop the fucking 'carrier vehicle operator idea'. It's absolutely unnecessary complexity to an already difficult multiplayer. To make 6v6 work without being a clusterfuck would require removing a lot of the mechanics that makes the games fun.

A campaign with a maximum of 2v2 is ideal,
then leave your 6v6 up for unranked free battle, assuming they solve the historically bad netcode well enough to make it palatable.

>Procedurally generated missions
Maybe as an extra mode, but if you want a full campaign of that shit you need to kill yourself my man.

Bump.

Use these rare abortion giblets to stuff your fucking AC into a Yharnam chalice dungeon.

Bump.

Bump.

They're cool.
I wish we could mix and match them.

>mixing and matching weapon arms
Most weapon arms in the 4 era seem to be crutches for low AMS pilots, but somehow I could see this looping around and causing the pilot to need retarded high AMS to mix and match them. It's probably just more efficient to use regular arms carrying weapons.

Man the chalice became more of a chore the more you play them, I was expecting a new and better serie of chalices with the DLCs, sadly it didnt happen

>Most weapon arms in the 4 era seem to be crutches for low AMS pilots

How do you figure that?

Some of the weapon arms actually specify it in their descriptions (the shotgun arms come to mind). Then there's the fact that not many high ranking pilots use them, and the ones who do are usually GA affiliated (and GA is already known to produce parts that lessen the need for AMS aptitude). It's also pretty logical, since projecting your mind onto a humanoid arm and manipulating the fingers to control a held weapon is probably a lot more stressful than the more mechanical and straightforward weapon arms which can probably be used with simple control sticks and the like.

Here you go ranker, it'll download as some gibberish but here is the song title.

Armored Core For Answer - Someone is Always Moving On the Surface (31% Slower + Lowered Volume).wav

my.mixtape.moe/cjtojr.wav

Hey not bad, is slightly different, but the same effect is there, nice one Xez.

I will take it.

Better than nothing right?

I like how it turned out, I can see Wynne D. Fanchon kneeling down in defeat after losing to Thermidor and Strayed while this song plays in the background and the screen fades into black very slowly.

My mental image is more like, a surviving kid from the cradles walking alone, shortly after they fell from the sky because of the closed plan coming into action, while the narrator says that despise the desolated and war torn surface, humanity still have hope to live among the stars, while the camera shows the sky full of small explosions from the assaults cells being destroyed.

I remember loving AC2 and 3 maps however AC4 era had a great design but I can't help but feel they were too easy for a AC game.

VD is a good template. Wall jumping is nice. Forces people to conserve energy and use the environment to attack.

I think UWs should be gone. One shots should be more difficult to pull off like melee attacks and such.

I see no problem with the way weapons can be chose in Armored Core though I simply want more old weapons to return like Orbit Cannons, Linear Rifles, Flamethrowers etc.

I'd rather they just give us a mission maker/map maker. Armored Core is a weird franchises that is all about customization it's a feature that would fit nicely and that few games rarely do anymore...

ACVD is essentially 4 v 4 with bigger maps why shouldn't we get bigger matches. 6 v 6 would lead to longer and more complicated matches. It would feel more like a battle especially with turrets and gun batteries thrown into the mix. Maybe defending player gets normal squadron?

I like the idea of another thing for the operator to do because it didn't always feel necessary or relevant in VD however I don't agree with that one user that they should get a vehicle to pilot.

I liked the VD campaign just a prettier/bigger version of that would be fine for me.

Unranked free battle had up to 8 players. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Talking about customization as if it mattered in the era where you could slap together any old AC and still be fast as shit/murder everything.

>pic
>missile dong.

AC Sex Machine cumming in

>Last Raven
>"fucking hard"

Nu-ravens everyone.

I thought that was weird about the chart as well. I think VD has a steeper learning curve than previous games. I remember playing and beating LR as a kid pretty easily.

I'd rather see well designed and large maps/missions than a procedural mode.

Shit just give us some customization options for preexisting maps like in VD except more shit. Put down some MTs, gun batteries, trenches etc.

So now that AC6 is confirmed what do you guys actually think it will be like? I see alot of wishlist ideas which is cool but what is your honest opinion?

I think it will be heavily influenced by the success of Dark Souls and will be like Verdict Day to an extent as it's their most recent game.

I hope the game takes Verdict Day as the base and adds more Chromehound elements and gives us a mission and map maker.

Also where the fuck is my Tenchu sequel From??

I think everything depends on the publisher, AC isn't exactly the hottest franchise out there so it's going to be hard to find one who is willing to invest large sums of money into a project like AC6.

Personally, I just hope we go back to the design and gameplay of pre AC5.

All I know is AC is getting made and the director of AC4 and 4A is involved. The last game was Verdict and that felt more like a Chromehounds sequel than a AC game in a good way. AC4 felt like ps2 era and 4a was abit too easy and arcadey but i get why people like it.

I kind of agree with that other user. I think it'll be souls influenced even though i'd fucking hate that.

Boss fights and instead of stamina, it's our boost bar and we do cartwheels instead of rolls.

A gunner build in Bloodborne felt at times kinda AC-ish and was actually pretty cool and fun to play, so maybe it could work.

I don't mind what we get. I just want something good. I felt that every AC had their strength, and if from doesn't screw the pooch, it'll turn out good either way.

There are a few ways to measure difficulty:

1. Learning Curve ("newbie" difficulty)
2. Unavoidable Difficulty spikes
3. Avoidable Difficulty spikes (things that are only difficult if you don't know the right options)
4. Learning cap ("skilled" difficulty)
5. Bugs/Controls/Framerate

If you're a new player, only 1,2,3, and 5 count.
If you're an experienced player, only 2,4, and 5 count.

1. Learning Curve, hardest to easiest:
ACVD Steepest learning curve
AC2
ACLR
ACNB Shallowest learning curve

2. Unavoidable Difficulty Spikes (example: unskippable story mission)
ACNB Most unavoidable difficulty spikes
AC2
ACVD
ACLR Least unavoidable difficulty spikes

3. Avoidable difficulty spikes (example: skippable side mission or boss with hidden weakness)
ACLR Most avoidable difficulty spikes
ACVD
ACNB
AC2 Least avoidable difficulty spikes

4. Learning Cap (single player only. Most VD's multiplayer depth isn't necessary to beat the game/hardmode)
ACLR Highest learning cap
ACNB
AC2
ACVD Lowest Learning cap

5. Difficulty due to bugs/controls/framerate (example: no analog stick, stop the surface weapon)
AC2 Most bugs/framerate issues
ACNB
ACLR
ACVD Fewest bugs/framerate issues

Skilled player ranks (unavoidable spikes, learning cap, bugs)
ACNB (4+3+3) = 10
AC2 (3+2+4) = 9
ACLR (1+4+2) = 7
ACVD (2+1+1) = 4

Newbie player ranks (avoidable spikes, unavoidable spikes, learning curve, bugs)
AC2 (1+3+3+4) = 11
ACNB (2+4+1+3) = 10
ACVD (3+2+4+1) = 10
ACLR (4+1+2+2) = 9

Total ranks:
AC2 (1+3+3+4+3) = 14
ACNB (2+4+1+3+4) = 14
ACVD (3+2+4+1+2) = 12
ACLR (4+1+2+2+1) = 10

>Pre AC4

fixed that for you

10-15 story missions with fixed characters and plot and no online

between each story mission you do procedurally generated missions based on the a set of maps/objectives/enemies. They could even customize the briefings by using different audio clips to match the output. The harder/longer a procedurally generated mission is, the more points you earn and the faster you unlock the next story mission.

That's basically what most AC games (AC1-MOA, AC2, AC3-VD) already do, they give you a bunch of side missions you have to beat before you get to a mission that actually effects the story. So why not make those side missions more dynamic by making them different each time you play?

The only gameplay difference between pre-AC4 and AC4/FA is quickboosting, everything else is just numbers.

It's a lot more than just that
>AC4 removed ACLR's variable accelleration
>ACLR has 2 energy output modes: consuming vs non-consuming. You don't get any energy output when you're consuming (boosting, firing lasers). AC4 turned it into a single rate so you still had energy output while draining energy, which is why you can permaflight in AC4 without feathering the boosters.
>AC4 fixed the lock box to the center of the screen, and made the edges "fuzzy" with poor lock on, instead of having it able to move on its own.
>Firing weapons in AC4 can cause stagger, but not in ACLR
>PA works similar to heat, but simpler. Weapon 'heat' affects the same value (defense) in AC4 instead of its own unique value (temperature) in ACLR.

AC4 made a few questionable/dumb choices that simplified movement/mechanics to make the game easier

But those are all just numbers, increase the costs of vertical boosting in AC4 and there would be no permaflight. Same goes for most other points, change a few values here and there and you are back to ACLR, the only genuinely new gameplay mechanic in AC4 is quickboosting.

No, that's not just numbers.The mechanics for lock on and boosting are -actually- different.

LR turns off your energy recovery while boosting. AC4 doesn't. That's a huge difference in gameplay and that's why there's no boost hopping in AC4.

The lock on system works extremely differently also, so does firing stability/recoil, and PA vs heat. These are all major changes that affect how you play the game vs LR.

Energy usage in AC4 is closer to ACVD than ACLR because of that.

Say, this is pretty cool. Hope you don't mind if I snag it for myself...

Also, would there be any reservations if it were used in possible projects? Probably wouldn't have to worry too much, though. Been far too lazy and/or busy lately, to actually get around to doing any recent projects...

It's weird how you say it's not just numbers but then give an example on how it's just numbers
>LR turns off your energy recovery while boosting
So what literally happens is that the game checks if you are boosting and if you do it, it sets the energy recovery to 0, that's a simple numerical change. It's also functionally the same as increasing the vertical boosting costs.
Same goes for lockon, they changed the size of the box to encompass most of the screen and made it invisible but it's still there, nothing really changed except for a few values.

Do whatever you want with it.

If that's the argument you want to make, then ANY change to the game is just a 'numerical' change.

The lockbox isn't just "changed" to encompass the screen. It's fixed to the screen and has multiple layers to it and can't be moved.

Yes, LR shares some mechanics with AC4. But AC4 changed the game significantly in more ways than just 'adjusting numbers'.

>then ANY change to the game is just a 'numerical' change.
Not really, Quickboosting is a new mechanic that needs it's own dedicated button. I give you heat/pa though, that's another big difference.

Bump.

We're talking about the fluff side of things, not gameplay.

I need to try a bloodtinge build ASAP.

How is pressing a button to make your arm weapons fire any different from pressing a button to make your ac's finger pull a trigger?

In most AC games it's probably not any different. NEXTs use the AMS system though, which while really vague, is implied to be some sort of psychic control system. So if you have to make the AC's arm become your own arm in order to pick up, aim, and shoot a held gun, it's probably a lot easier to skip that entirely and just attach a gigantic gun to the arm joint and control it the old fashioned way.

I'm just speculating and don't have much to back this up though. Maybe weapon arms are still controlled with AMS and are actually harder to use since they're non humanoid limbs. But then that raises some questions about reverse joints, tetrapods, and tank treads. What do you think about those since we're on the subject anyway?

AMS just makes you move faster. You're still piloting like you would any other AC.

SNFA?

Usually on Sundays

How many actual NEXTs could this thing beat 1v1? Killdozer and Wonderful Body would probably be pretty even matches. Maybe it could beat Celebrity Ash?

I could see that comparison.

I think AC deserves a blockbuster level release. It's a long time series that has good and meh games but it's never been afraid to try new features or gameplay mechanics.

If From could manage to blend the best Armored Core elements together I believe it could make Souls type games look silly in comparison.

Hope so anyway.

Honestly, I don't think the games are hectic enough. If you have halfway decent unacs and/or a team that coordinates fairly well then a 4 v 4 match can be over in under 30 seconds. I think the idea of having two more units (and bigger more complicated maps) on teach team would ensure that games aren't instant blow outs from piles, melee or uws. While I enjoy these kills sometimes when you watch 10 minutes to get a game and its over in under a minute you feel kind of cheated.

I agree completely on the campaign. Also don't like the carrier vehicle thing. Though operators don't always feel that relevant. Maybe they see through recons and control a squad of normals. Easily taken out but if played well can be nice support fire.

Nexus and Verdict Day were hard. All the other games were Easy or Medium I think.

AC2 was easy. Never tried NB was it really hard? It looked kind of meh and I didn't pick it up when it came out. I think I was still obsessed with 3 and LR at the time.

Who are your favorite AC characters?

How turned on would you be if they appeared in some version in a future game?

I think Hustler One and Nineball are pretty iconic though Leos Klein is probably my favorite AC character.

I would like a reinterpretation of the ai controlled AC's at the end of AC3 but they appear throughout missions unexpectedly during AC6 with a remix of the Administrator soundtrack from AC3 playing in the background when they came into the picture.

I like characters the veteran pilots like Leo or Neo Nidus. Older character add to the world of AC and give you something to strive to beat

I'd just like to see characters like them in more than one or two missions

Eccentric Ravens like pic related. Newer AC is really lacking in that department. As for favorite characters, I'm a big fan of Rim Fire and Shamir.

Bump.

because some of those "side missions" were memorable and challenging in their own right because actual effort went into their design

I want to see unmanned NEXTs as mid-boss enemies in the next AC game.

While eccentric pilots became rare in the recent games, there is still some, like killdozer on FA or the test pilot on VD

It's a mass produced NEXT based off one of the highest tech NEXTs of the era, piloted by A.I. that were created as a result of a project to artificially create dominant pilots that could easily be controlled. It could probably defeat a majority of the NEXT pilots in 4/4A.

Forgot about them, Jack from VD was pretty fucking eccentric and crazy. His Japanese voice really drives home the crazy too.

I classified my favorite characters depending on their role, operator is Serena Haze with Fatman as a close second, allied pilots, Dan Moro and May; rivals would Zinaida and Berlioz, outright antagonist is Chief and Leos Klein, my bro for life is OldKing

Old King is where its at.

I was always partial to Stinger.

Liliana will rise once again my brother from another mother

You forgot the Bees.

They were too serious and bonderline religious to take as "eccentric" at least on the sense of out of the norm/joke type, because the path of iron guys are aso a eccentric, having this martial art vibe when piloting mechas

Is Jack-0 a reference to Jack? They didn't feel too similar.

Rotten Fly's emblem is a damaged version of Flame Fly's emblem. Flame Fly's pilot is called Jack Golding, while Rotten Fly's is just Jack. Doubt there's any correlation with Jack-O

I love all the subtle little details in this design. It makes me giggle.

>straight heavy AC legs with few curves to emphasize being one-ish
>double 1 arms
>1 shaped rockets
>the number 1 is in his emblem 111 times (hope I'm not miscounting)

Just fishing in the dark, son...

Arms Fort sized AC's when?

You defeat by ramming it in the head using a VOB, maiking it fall into the ground