Why are 996s dirt cheap?

Why are 996s dirt cheap?
>classic porsche line
>decent handling
>modern interior (early 00s)

Sure the headlights are ugly

Other urls found in this thread:

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&formSourceTag=117&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c3396&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c3381&zip=89014&distance=50000&showNegotiable=true&modelChanged=undefined&filtersModified=true#listing=160019713
6speedonline.com/forums/996/199902-996-997-headlight-conversion.html
jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-own-the-996-porsche-911-turbo-you-really-w-1789025814
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>fried egg headlights
>IMS bearing memery
>NOT AIRCOOLED, NOT A REAL PORSCHE
That's it, really. They're very similar to the 997 underneath and they're still great cars. IMS bearing failure is rare and it's easy to prevent, but if it happens it destroys the entire engine.

>MUH HEADLIGHTS
>MUH NON CLASSIC

Isn't a IMS bearing like 2-3 k at a dealer with warranty....and for 3k you probably get a new clutch while their down there...

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&formSourceTag=117&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c3396&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c3381&zip=89014&distance=50000&showNegotiable=true&modelChanged=undefined&filtersModified=true#listing=160019713

Yeah, it's an easy fix when doing a clutch job. Part isn't expensive either.

fixed

Because the people that are responsible for the other 911's value stability don't want them and also don't want to be associated with 996 owners.

People do it without graphic editing.
6speedonline.com/forums/996/199902-996-997-headlight-conversion.html

holy crap. I wasn't aware of this.

There are even kits to swap an entire 997 front over.

Sub 20k
Performance
Curb Appeal
Brand Whore (lady's *tips fedora*)

Fuchs Wheels + Stickers

I actually really like the headlights. Spoonfeed me on why everyone hates them.

they look be huge and prone to fading as opposed to simple circular design on basically every other 911

Their resemblance to runny egg yolks

Also

Porsche headlights are round, this deviated from the norm at Porsche "evolution not revolution" in design

Bump

In genuinely interested in this now...

Local search here in soCal has cars under 100k miles
For 10-17k$

They're one of the best value Porsche you can get these days. Just keep up on maintenance and get the preventative IMS-related stuff done, and it'll serve you well as a second car or even a daily.
Just be aware that parts won't be Civic-levels of cheap and it won't be Toyota-tier reliable, but they're a lot cheaper in the long run than, say, an Audi of a similar price.

Jokes on you I actually like the headlights

Me too. I think 996s look pretty cool. Especially Turbo, GT3 and Carrera 4S

because ims/rms issues mainly

Like giving a hot girl a nose job...
Better but you know it's not natural beauty

speaking of headlights why are porsche doing those bizzare 4-dots headlights in all their concepts now?
the current ones are the best imo

>Pooshhh fags
urgh the epitome of wanker

>2-3 k at a dealer with warranty
Why should it cost anything with a warranty?

Because the 918 has them and BRAND IDENTITY LMAO.

>warranty
What 15 year old car still has a warranty?

even better for us 996 headlight lovers, since they will never be appreciated (or atleast later than usual) which means cheaper Porsches for us.

He ment warranty on the work they do

Not everything is covered by a warranty.

Yeah but a major defect in the engine should be covered.

The thing is that these cars are already fairly old/used so if it hasn't already failed, it probably won't. Either because it just wasn't an issue for that particular car, or someone already had the preventative maintenance done. The failures didn't apply to all 996s either, Turbos have a different engine than Carreras.

read this

jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-own-the-996-porsche-911-turbo-you-really-w-1789025814

996s are hnnnng as fuck imo

nice, post more pics lad.

its porscha

Think I've posted most of them a while ago.

more like, yolks on you

How much is the turbo of this? Looking for a first personal car and I always loved Porsche turbos.

from $30-$50k

check rennlist classifieds

I agree, they look good.

Nevermind then lol. Can I bolt a turbo onto one of the ones that I can get for like 10k?

yes, but iirc the Turbo and GT3 models have a much better metzger engine
pic related

now why the fuck would you put roof racks on a 911

for attention.

to carry shit

They cost about the same as Caymans it seems (assuming 996 is n/a RWD). Which one would you guys rate higher?

The car looks outfitted for traveling. You can put some luggage on top since it doesn't have a lot of storage space.

>what is a trunk?

>Premium at $4.11

Fuck. What's the cheapest Porsche turbo then?

996 turbo
I feel for your pain.

because the headlights are a meme

when i see this porsche in my rearview mirror i think cuck

I'll have to wait till I'm a middle aged cuck to buy one I guess...

>>NOT AIRCOOLED, NOT A REAL PORSCHE
this
Porsche is all about heritage
same reason a 1976 turbo 911 is worth more than your left nut, first born, liver, kidney, and entire lifetime earned income.

The car the supra wanted to be but never could

theyre not air cooled, theyre oil cooled.

Completely different platform M8

>yfw you're middle aged and 996 prices skyrocket for no reason

>Friend just purchased a 1999 Carrera 911 4S or something, some sort of 996 with AWD
>Shitty interior
>Spark plug change costs $300
>Was sold with a bad transmission pinion bearing, costs 5k to refresh and fix or 10k to swap out with a new unit
>IMS bearing has yet to be replaced

He bought the car for 17k but it looks like he's about to be 30k+ deep in the car now. All that said, the only way I can describe it is like an Evo but there's a jet engine sitting right behind your ear. Almost unreal driving dynamics and is insanely fun.

Was in 2013, not sure if premium either but whatever it was, it was.

>Spark plug change costs $300
Will guys at service center look at you like at a piece of shit if you tell them you did it yourself?

Says the guy who doesn't know anyone with a 911.

>996 on sale for about 17k in dollars
>look up more offers
>see same car was already sold several months ago for 20k
Looks like someone bought it and wasn't able to afford owning it.

No, but even then Porsche parts carry a tax. Brake and rotor job is easily $2k in parts.

Typical used Porsche life cycle. People buy them only to find out the initial buy price is just a small part of owning a Porsche. Pretty sure pretty much every 944 at this point has a 5+ owner history because of this.

The early 996 still looks a bit weird and blobby in stock form, but yeah I genuinely like the way the facelift looks.

do these have the IMS issue the boxsters had?

>Why are 996s dirt cheap?

There's actually a list of things:
>New Porsche cars have some of the worst depreciation in the industry.
>996 is not considered a classic (not yet anyway).
>The new water-cooled engine and electronics package and first all-new platform since the original '63 911 represented a separation from simple engineering of older 911.
>Customers hated that the 911 looked like the cheaper Boxster (which is why they changed the headlights).
>Overall styling was considered very bland even by '90s standards.
>Early-MY 996 were not reliable and much more expensive to maintain than older 911.

...While the 996 was technologically superior, it was controversial with long-time Porsche fans and driving enthusiasts.

probably because they're shit

>Builds better car
>profit

Please don't curse me like this user

Yfw in 10 years all these $9-17k 996s are given the RWB or Magnus Walker treatment....

Restomods worth 50-60k

A chasis will be worth 20k

Finding these for $12000-19000 on the west coast.
Were I live they call these Newport Beetles because they are the poormans 911

But Fuck it...for 12k it's a beautiful platform to tune

Stop this incessant bullying.

>$15,000
>RWD or AWD
>315hp
>2900lbs
>2000-04
>Chick Magnet

And it's dicounted because of headlights and a easy repair???

The Fuck is wrong with people...it's only fault was being born into the Porsche Family bunch of snobs

It's the first 911 to be almost completely redesigned from the ground up and it's too young to be considered a classic. Purists hated them from the very beginning, and they're the ones keeping prices on aircooled 911s high.

Just means we get better value.

The Future of the 996

God I hope he gets his fuckugly hair pulled into a cooling fan.