Coilovers vs. Air Bag

I was having a talk with my girlfriend about her civic she shows and she was talking about how she uses air bag suspension. Me being newly into the whole hands on part of cars yet I wasn't very aware of what they were. After doing some research and what not they seem nice, but would they be better than coilovers for my s2000 build?

For handling, no, for being a stancefag, sure, why not.

this is not the place to ask for suspension advice. go to a s2k forum or something

>bags
>on a s2000
it would handle even worse than stock retard

I assume this has been invented, but if it hasn't, why not?
>have adjustable coilover
>motorize the ride height adjustment mechanism
No need to worry about a compressor and it wouldn't handle like ass as bags tend to do. Might just have to rev the car a bit if your alternator isn't quite up to snuff. Gimme a second to draw out a crude pic.

Bags don't handle well and they wear out pretty quick...

If you want better handeling then don't.
If you want to be able to drop it at car shows then do.

It has.

Many coins though.

>Me being newly into the whole hands on part of cars yet I wasn't very aware of what they were.
>s2k build
Ye bro i totes got enrique to put a full power electric turbo supercharger on my hyundai 200 thousand and he even cleaned my windows too

>should I bag my s2k for handling?

You have no business doing anything to your s2k, or any car for that matter. Just keep it stock.

Coil overs are cheaper. Go air suspension if you want variable ride height.

This. Bags are for temporarily and awkwardly raising a low car. The only reason is if the S2000 is an almost pure track car that sometimes needs to pull in and out of driveways.

Coilovers for performance, price.

Bags for comfort, accessibility.

Why not both?

the fuck

I don't like this.

>welcome to Veeky Forums, the "auto enthusiast" board where a bunch of bus riders try to make you feel dumb for modifying your vehicle

god I hate this place

How does that even work?

The coilover part works like a coilover.
The bag part works like a bag.

Bags only wear out from a shitty design/install.
Newer/expensive semi's have airbags and run a million miles before they need to be replaced.

But handling is shit

I don't care if cornering is shit if the ride is smooth.

>millions miles before they need to replaced
that is utter bullshit
every manufacturer that has put air suspension die out prematurely, most don't go past 100k miles

what's even the fucking point? It's still resting on the bag?

Reminder bags don't handle like ass (unlike 10+ years ago). They got the bad rep because they were unreliable and leaked constantly. A spring or a bag isn't inherently good or bad, they only part of them that's actually important for handling is the spring rate. The strut they're mounted on is far more important for handling.

That's basically what the active body control on my CL500 does. Hydraulic pressure bears on the upper spring seat and adjusts the preload or ride height. It needs a shitload of equipment to work though and it's big money to fix when it goes wrong.

No. You are the idiot. Air bags last a long time. On heavy-duty applications like logging trucks that do a lot of work on rough roads, airbags will outlast springs.

>After doing some research and what not they seem nice
Their main purpose is not for handling. They are for ride suspension and ease of response adjustment settings such as sporty ride, soft ride, hard ride.

If you have a sports car BUT never push it anywhere to the limit, then bagging it can be an option. That's because you never needed the upper performance handling that sports car has over other non-sports cars. Instead, you probably bought that sports car for the prestige and for others seeing you drive it around. If that is the case, then bagging for a softer non-sporty right is an option because you are not going to use any of the upper end performance.

Airbags were developed as the alternative to the more expensive hydraulic systems. They are cheaper to maintain and replace. My personal prediction is that they will kill off the hydraulics. So getting airbags won't put you into a dead end like getting adjustable hydraulics would.

But as others said, if you have a S2000, why reduce its upper end performance? A valid reason would be you are too scared to push the car to the edge so you have no need for that handling performance. I can accept that as a valid reason. Same with the lack of skill to push the S2000 to the handling limit. What is unacceptable as an excuse is "I want airbags because my girlfriend wants me to get them" or "I want airbags because I don't know why coilovers are good".

So many memers on this board. If you buy proper performance (expensive) air suspension and have it set up properly it will outhandle springs, there have been lots of tests and they've been run on time attack cars. Not like your girlfriend is interested in performance though, if she "shows" a civic on bags. Jfc hondafags are cancer, escape the honda community while you still can OP

i have a pair of air bags in the rear of my np pajero. I pump them up when I overload the rear.
No idea why you would want that in a non-truck.

>bag suspension for heavy duty applications like FUCKING LOGGING TRACTOR/TRAILERS is the same as bags for an s2000 and DEFINITELY share reliability specs.

That's you. That's how fucking stupid you sound. If I was standing behind you while you posted that garbage, I'd smack your hat off your head and knock your juice box over.

You replied to a post about air bags in heavy vehicles dick head

you're posting about heavy duty vehicle bagging in a thread about bagging vs coils on a s2k dick head

He's right you know.

Airbags in normal cars wear out pretty quickly when compared to coilovers. I have no idea how many miles logging tractors can go on air bags but I'm not sure I understand how that's relevant...

>meanwhile on Speedhunters...

>"This stanced stock engined piece of shit is on airbags so it still handles at the track after scraping at the show.."

>would they be better than coilovers for my s2000 build?
Never loan your S2000 to someone who expects your bag suspension to handle as good as the normal one. They'll drive the S2000 to the limit and then get into an accident because the car's suspension didn't perform as they expected it should with the tires it has.