/ovg/ - 27 days till MikeyMas Edition

Previous Thread: →

Our Wiki will answer every question you could possibly have. All frequently asked questions can easily be found on the main page itself:
>get-good.net

Swing by our Mumble server and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

Skinning guide with rF2-specific help:
>mega.nz/#!ygMSASyZ!ai1NXzFwq174ZmQYi3V_48eeEOCr_z4YOo9g8txxlDU

We're racing on the weekends. Check out our Google doc for more info!
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

news.xbox.com/2016/11/28/prepare-forza-horizon-3-blizzard-mountain-expansion/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/FH3_Blizzard_Mountain_Announce
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AC is a good game

Horizon 3 did nothing wrong

/ovgturnleft2/ when?

when Studio 397 fixes the Stock Cars and overall Oval Racing

so soon

Or when I finish the Super Late Model!

Hah jk who am I kidding.

Update: Audi R8 suspension geometry is done and Team Absolute said no to giving more datas so the Bentley will only be about half complete.

played the 1988 f1 mod for the first time in rf2. the cars drive miles better than they did in the rf1 version. also they nailed the sound.

>Absolute said no

JUST

>Accidentally buy car in auction i already have
>Try auctioning off
>No one buys it

Shit

Copped 3 months of iracing for $5.

Feels good but the cars and tracks are all so expensive. Stock content is definitely enough to keep me entertained for a while at least but idk how long.

Any content recommendations? I hear skip barber is pretty popular and good for scrubs like me.

Skip Barber, Formula Renault, Advanced Mazda (depends on track) and GT3 is the most active car series so invest in those when you go up in licenses.

And buy as much as you can afford at the same time because the more items you buy at once the bigger discount you get.

>Tfw Australians basically decide who gets to stay in the /ovg/ mumble

Who /most powerful race/ here?

>actually going on mumble

Don't spend money on iRacing in 2016 unless you are fantasticalky rich.

It's funny how separated the voice servers for generals, website wide, are so separate and cancerous to the actual general.

>No rewind feature for Multiplayer

If the iRacing skip barber drives anything like the rf2 version then I might have to grab it sooner than later.

A few bucks here and there can't hurt.

>Dumb trolls and shitposters constantly rewind races
>Little kids rewind races
>Online racing community is destroyed

>here and here
oh boy

you can't even begin to imagine how much are you going to lose
>just one, single event, skip barber
>subscription
>one-time car
>"one-time" $15 every fucking time they change the track

Will the skip barber + stock tracks not provide me with enough entertainment? It's not like I'm aiming to be competitive, just looking for some actual races against real people.

By the way, does our fine Veeky Forums community thinks that modern assetto corsa, with v10 tyre model and other improvements, is still "something between simcade and sim"?

I mean, it really feels like any other sim now, at least in high-speed (since its clutch "simulation" still feels like equation throttle=gas-clutch). AC is alright.

Which is why if you are not poor you buy everything at once so you get the discount.

Maybe if you race with yourself. Anything beyond rookie class has paid tracks in the season. Of course something like D class where the Skip Barber is there is a lot of stock tracks in the season, but if you only buy the car there is going to be a lot out of the 13 weeks where you can't race.

Hey /k/asual here. Any of you FAFSA play the new Dirt game ok ps4? Just looking pls no bully

to expand on my previous post here is the current season for Skip Barber.

Only 2 out of 13 tracks this season are free.

DIRT Rally?

Sure they will, but if you want to race in official races, there will be only paid tracks available. Or at least so i think, i haven't played it much.

That being said, i do have iracing account. I enjoy bitching about how much of a money sink it is, but i'm constantly falling into it myself. iRacing multiplayer is fun, always full of people, sometimes you can even find a server without retards.

>Dirt rally
Yea senpai

Pls disregard the obvious auto correct. Finishing out a long swing shift

>I enjoy bitching about how much of a money sink it is, but i'm constantly falling into it myself.

Same it's sad that no other sim racer has figured out how to make a good MP as iRacing..

Yea. It's great and runs 60FPS on console. It's manageble with a controller but i would prefer to use a wheel.

We have OVG Dirt Rally league (it's dead right now, but i have no problem reviving it if there is an audience), but it's PC and as far as i remember codies are retarded and won't allow cross-platform leagues. Man, fuck codies.

Maybe it changed now though.

I often play on Assetto Corsa minorating GT3 server and i'd say quality of racing here is just as good as iRacing (at least on my pathetic irating). But that's an single server, single track, single car range - and iRacing offers kinda proper players for every piece of content they have.

I'm definite not looking to run in the official season races or whatever. If I can hop in a random room and race with people then I'd be satisfied.

I'm still learning so participating in the "serious" races seems like a bad idea anyways.

The difference is that iRacing is kinda the "console" of sim racing in that way that it's really just plug and play. You don't have to get mods from some website that fits the server you want to join etc..

RaceRoom had the potential to become a competitor to iRacing but instead it's online is just as generic as any other simracer.

That's not how iRacing works. It's not like any other simracer where you just pick a server.

In iRacing there is official races that uses the season schedule, and then there is "hosted sessions" which is mostly used for league races or practice for next weeks track in a current series.

Wait, have you played iracing? Because either i don't know something about iracing, or you haven't played it even once.

AFAIK: there are only "official" races. There are various classes, cars, certain track for every class/event, and then every hour there is a race. You can't "hop in a random room", you hop in official class race and drive, and then system gives you certain irating and groups you with other noobs. This is why iracing multiplayer is so good, so you always have someone on your level to race.

And there is nothing wrong with being bad and playing official races. This is what everyone do, this is the only way to race here.

>And there is nothing wrong with being bad and playing official races. This is what everyone do, this is the only way to race here.

It's exactly why the iRating system exists. To make sure that at least in populated series people race with people around the same level as them.

Ah, I guess I interpreted the "what's hot" section poorly. It seemed like there were random rooms to join.

On a side note, what a slow piece of shit the iracing site is.

>On a side note, what a slow piece of shit the iracing site is.

Yes, they are working on a standalone client and it will hopefully soon be ready for release

this website is generally shit. it looks like 2002, plus it's so unbelievably fucking unintuitive that i consider every race start as my little personal achivement

Yea it's not exactly newcomer friendly. I remember having a hard time to figure out how to do anything when i signed up 2 years back. And it definetely has not been made easier.

>tfw drove halfway across the country to btfo normies on a VR sim rig and won a drive in some actual race cars
>tfw they're including a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST on the day

i knew being an /ovg/ autist was good for something

english cuisine is disgusting

okay

Glad you'll be having a relevant breakfast. Hope you're not too tall for the cars!

i'm only as tall as scottie after his shin implant operation so i should be ok

feels good lad (check my singles)

every FOV calculator recommends really low FOV and it feels very awkward.

For instance, iracing suggests around 50 but 80 feels much more comfortable. What do?

set FOV you like, use it.

"1:1" FOV is very narrow indeed, which is why people are using three displays for racing sims. It seems like disadvantage, but when you get used to it, you won't be able to go back.

news.xbox.com/2016/11/28/prepare-forza-horizon-3-blizzard-mountain-expansion/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

How does DiRT Rally compares to DiRT 3? I bought the later as it was on sale for spare change, and I just saw the former is on sale too, I'm currently downloading the game.

Should I pull the trigger on Rally? Offer ends tomorrow.

Dirt 3 feels like full-blown arcade while Rally tries to be kinda sim-ish. Also, no dudebro gymhama in Rally, but that's just matter of design, so it's minor downside of Dirt 3.

Rally is way better.

use what feels comfortable. online calculators have never given me a "proper" answer for race sims.

Thanks m8, I'll go get it.
Hopefully soon I'll afford a wheel and go full driver.

forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/FH3_Blizzard_Mountain_Announce

Too bad this game feels awful on wheel, would have been an instant buy.

Full driver is worth it. It becomes it's own hobby.

It can be expensive but it's very fun. There are definitely some more affordable options but you get what you pay for so its worth dropping a couple hundred.

holy shit... the price of g27 on Amazon is nearly $800. I bought mine nearly two years ago, before the g29 obviously, for $230, $280 after shipping.

I actually was butthurt about the bug shipping cost at the time. Fuck did I get lucky.

DFGT costs pennies, i bet you can find it for less than Dirt Rally costs - and after very simple pedal mod it's really a proper wheel.

>the price of a product no longer in production keeps rising
no shit sherlock. there's bound to be some idiot thinking he can sell one of these for 800 bux.

also last week G29 was 180 euros on amazon so the price is starting to come down. Like, you know, the G27's price came down.

I'll give you Mercedes data if you take me out for dinner

The things that are in dirt rally are very well done. The problem is that car and map selection are sparse as fuck.

But $800 for a new one?!? That's fucking ridiculous.

You're acting like some dickhead who thinks that much of an increase is to be expected. This isn't some moron trying to make money off Craigslist, these are brand new off Amazon.

Your nonchalance is just so unwarranted, I think I'd strike you if you said that to me irl to teach you a lesson.

>But $800 for a new one?!? That's fucking ridiculous.
there is no such thing as a new g27 anymore

Jesus, enough with the arrogance. There are a handful of them being sold still. You are objectively wrong. You lose, now good day.

I will caress your face with my fist should we meet.

It seems you aren't familiar with how Amazon works...

>too bad an arcade feels awful on wheel

Who would have thought?

I know damn well how it works. That's not even the point, they're being sold for that much because that's what people are willing to pay for them right now.

Just because the game is arcadey doesn't mean it has to feel shitty on wheel.

>I know damn well how it works
All i have is your words which said "This isn't some moron trying to make money off Craigslist, these are brand new off Amazon." which indicates you aren't aware that some moron can also try to sell his old stuff on Amazon at whatever price he wants.

Lolno idiot.

>he thinks his hundred thousand times sold logitech is worth shit because the amazon algorithm fucks up on products that are out of production.

Yes it does

You seemed to have missed the part where I said NEW. These are legitimate companies selling these new ones and what I said still applies. I'd bet Amazon is even fulfilling orders on some of them.

Holy shit, you morons sure know how to miss the point around here.

They can call them """new""" since they're still in the original packaging, but they haven't been made in over a year.

>> I'd bet Amazon is even fulfilling orders on some of them.
Doesn't mean much, anyone can ship their item to an Amazon warehouse and Amazon can do all the fulfillment work for a fee.

Except that's now it work and it's not a fuck up. There are a handful of companies selling these for that price, some even for more, and you could check and see the list of sellers for yourself instead of talking directly out of your ass.

And it's not me thinking, it's me just using my eyes to look at the current market for them. Used ones are going for upwards of $349, I'd make money if I sold mine.

Lmao I really don't know why in arguing with you faggots over this, the proof is in the pudding: an in the box (us non autists are perfectly okay with referring to those as new because that's what they are) are worth upwards of $800 because that's what the market has dictated.

Lad your wheel isnt worth shit

I'm not sure the market dictated anything, it's just sellers stubbornly trying to wring every dollar they think they can out of a dead product. Do you somehow have access to their sales data to know if anyone has actually sold at that price? As you can also see there are still many options for more realistic prices, and not just on Amazon.

Look up any old device on Amazon and whatnot, they're all fucking expensive. Like, right now on Amazon FR there's a PS2 for 400 euros.

I can only assume someone is expecting that a person with a lot of money will spend it to get one of those instead of going on eBay and buying a used item just for the pleasure of ripping the plastic and deflowering the device.

But I'll forgive you, most people don't actually search for obsolete shit on Amazon as often as I do.

Is anybody else having trouble getting low Spec races in FH3?
I can't seem to get anything below A Spec in any lobby that's asphalt only/street race and I only get b Spec in mixed surface/games mode form. I don't remember the last time I saw c Spec.
I'm so tired of racing S1/S2.
I built shitboxes for a reason damnit

Something being out of production doesn't matter as long as there's stock. It's amazing you're trying to be insulting with that insane leap of logic.

It isn't hard to imagine why. The PI rating system is broken and cars in class D though B are so widely varying in their performances, that most people don't want to join them just to be btfo in their D class Fiat by some broken thing with 1000hp

The reason is simple: casual games, casual players that only want to race their AWD hypercars. You may be able to go into freeroam and start a C-class race but you might not get many opponents.

Out of production means that they cant restock and that fucks the algorithm

FM6 is a casual game and there are always low class races to be found

And how would that make a difference if there is currently stock?

Sorry user but what your saying doesn't make sense in multiple levels.

I've never really had a problem in any Spec. I mean sure there are maybe 5 tracks that a fast car with a high top speed wins no matter what but most require a bit more turning ability than those cars have.
I think that too but I still need somewhere to complain about it.
I miss btfoing everyone in b spec

The only thing that really bothers me is when I see someone selected a nice uncommon car, but still has it gayed up with a lambo v12 and AWD swap

I've watched the price of this go up ever since the g29 was released. Regardless of what you think, the reality is that they're being sold for that much by multiple sellers and it's indicative of more than stubbornness.

Except used ones are going for more than I paid new.

the price has steadily gone up since the g29 released. your explanation is pretty far fetched but okay lol

Well you can have a new one for 220€. I guess youre sitting on a goldmine and used ones are more expensive

its almost like the US and Europe are two different places with different Amazon marketplaces, respectively

woah, I just blew my own mind.

Import them and become a millionaire

ah, the glorious assetto corsa online experience

may i divert your attention specifically to the first corner, where despite unexpected events every player managed to get through swiftly and skillfully

please notice one of ferrari players and his very unique pitting strategy (although he seemingly decided to abandon it in the middle of the job)

Nah, the market is far too competitive over here. You Estonians, or whatever shitty country you're from, wouldn't understand.

That doesnt make sense.

Is it truly a good wheel? There's a couple used ones going way too cheap, like 35 USD fully working, in my 3rd world country.

Still, feel like I'll get into it, but thanks for the input m8.

>Is the DFGT truly good wheel
I'd say it's good enough. Sure, the pedals may be crap, but they work just fine compared to other wheels. You may want to do something to the brake pedal to make it heavier, but it's not necessary. I've used the unaltered pedals for 3 years now, and I've been fine.
Apart from that, you have Force Feedback, 900 degrees of rotation, a load of buttons to use right on the wheel and a fun to use sequential shifter
And for 35$, it's a bargain. I must've paid 100 - 120€ for mine, and I haven't been disappointed so far

DFGT is poorfag's standard. Think of it as G25 with significantly worse pedals and without shifter.

It's not even remotely as good as G27 or T300, but it's surely not bad at all. DFGT has 900 degree rotation, it's supported on every platform possible in every game possible, it also has a lot of buttons, perfect device to check if you're going to dig deeper into racing or not. Definitely worth $35.

Sometimes I feel like a shit tier racer, but then I see shit like this and get hope

You've put hope in my heart anons, I'll do it.

Just make sure it has power supply in the bundle ( without power supply seller could hide broken FFB or something). I really find it hard to believe that DFGT can be found for $35, even today.

I own a DFGT and I absolutely love it, like I'm not the biggest fan of the shifter on it so I use the "flappy paddles" on the back, but apart from that and what others have said about the pedals not being the best there is, it's a solid wheel mate, you'd definitely have fun with it