No Luck

Hey Veeky Forums,

I have my heart absolutely set on an RX-8 and have for years, so this thread isn't about convincing me otherwise.

I have finally gotten in a financial position where an 8 makes sense, but I'm only willing to pay $5-6k for one (burger here).

I cannot for the life of me find one in this price range, and if I do the owner literally never wants to commit to a compression test ($175 at my local Mazda dealer).

There are so many delusional listings for 8's with 150k+ miles for $8-9k. This didn't seem the case even over last summer when I would hawk listings.

Is the 8 just getting way more popular or am I having bad luck? Do you guys usually go with Craigslist to find for-sale-by-owner cars or is there some other method I'm missing?

Thanks Veeky Forums

honestly if you really like the rx-8 you should just save up more and get a nice low mileage R3 model

it'll probably save you from a lot of headaches

What kind of jack stands are you going with?

>have finally gotten in a financial position where an 8 makes sense
Apparently not.

If they won't let you do a compression test, but you look at one anyway, after a test drive stop the engine and try to start it again.

Oh the fun of refuelling with a low compression rx8 kek.

I refuse to max out my finances, 5-6k would leave me with ample money to even rebuild the engine with the clutch if something went wrong, I don't want to spend even a hair more, save for a deal from heaven.

you are just having hard luck. your next step is head over to the no rotors website and look at conversion to make your rx8 a car you can live with.

head to BE FOWARD website and type in rx8 and import straight from japan all prices are in US funds.

Your price-range is too low.

If someone is selling it that cheaply, they either know the compression is shit, or they have no idea what a compression test is. Either way, it means the engine is probably in poor condition.

I wouldn't sell my RX-8, knowing the engine is in good condition, for that cheap.

If you insist on keeping the low price-range, you'll need to accept the idea of paying for the compression test yourself.

I know Mazda extended the rotary engine warranty to 100k/8years for the RX-8 in 2008, but I'm not sure if it applies to the post-2008 models. May be worth looking into.

What do you think an acceptable price range should be for an 8 with good compression, preferably an 05 or 06

You missed cheap rotaries by like 2 years.

Just a few years ago, nobody wanted them because they were seen as unreliable garbage.

Now, thanks to youtube fags letting the cat out of the bag, everyone knows about premixing and now prices have crept up.

>preferably an 05 or 06

I'd avoid these years. The 04-05 years are the ones that give the RX-8 the bad name. There were ECU problems that would screw up the oil injection, so many of the engines failed. Then they'd get shit quality rebuilds as replacements which would also fail. People didn't really learn how to care for them until years later.

At the very least, make 2006 the earliest you go.

You can probably get a good 2006 for around $7k.

I'd shoot for a newer one though.

RX8's are still cheap as fuck

Sounds like you can't really afford this car.

what up to Veeky Forums /0/ from AZ. Ermm, those prices seem appropriate to the value of the car. The compression test thing seems to be a bit of a sticking point and might be a bit too much! just forget about trying to 'test' a vehicle that costs a couple grand. That is a thing that is more appropriate for a car in the $20-30k range.

i would honestly pay more for a MINT one at dealer with low miles that would offer a full warranty

>full warranty
Actual value of these is pretty low. The dealer will string out expensive repairs for so long that it's just not worth it. Honestly, guys get fired for honoring warranties.

this is not true, bought a used car with leaky power steering pump. Warranty covered full 800 dollar repair for just a 100 dollar deductible, no problems at all when dealer confirmed

The cost of the pump was $50 and took a 1/2 hour to install, so $100 sounds about right.

kek, go look up dealer parts fool.i don't buy my parts at autozone

Honesly i have a very hard time believing that dealer parts are any more expensive to make than aftermarket.

I bet that some of the aftermarket parts are just oem contractors selling under a different name.

>aftermarket parts are just oem contractors selling under a different name.
Usually the opposite

Then why do you need the compression test if you've got money away for the rebuild?

if you're really so set on this car you're better off saving up to buy the right one instead of the cheapest one. I put a lot of time and effort into finding an RX-8 and it was still a huge disappointment anyway.

your just unlucky, the past year i have been browsing craigslist and have seen countless rx-8s for sale under 2 grand with just under 100k miles because the engine went out on them

Why the fuck would I want to waste that 5k when I could save it for future repairs etc.
The problem is, this is a rotary car. There's nearly no other way to figure out whether or not you have a timebomb or not. They can drive great right up until death.

Plus the test is only $175 and takes like 2 hours.
R3? That's around 15k right now isn't it? I would say it would take me about another year to save up 20k+. I kind of need something now, anyway.