Why do a lot of protestants fear fictional magic?

Harry Potter, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon.

Why is everything so Satanic?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Episcopi
members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf
theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/29/mayonhika-otomi-damaged-jehovahs-witnesses-mexico
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Catholics too.

Here in the Philippines, I remember times when something becomes so popular, some overzealous octogenarian priest rants something about it, and then it becomes a meme among senior-citizen catholics and before you know it, weird condemnations happen.

Though I can only remember Harry Potter an that stupid Asereje song or whatever. Tamagotchi too at one point.

>Baphomet
>Satanic
I really do agree, why do they think everything is satanic? If it's not abrahamic they label it satanic. Esotericists and occultists can't do their thing anymore without soccer moms getting all up in arms about it.

Many Christian preachers drum up a fear of satanism in their flock because it makes them more willing to give money. Fear can be a powerful motivator, which is why so many so-called "christians" make such a big deal out of hellfire, and the importance of giving money to your priests to avoid hellfire.

Convinced christians should not fear Satan.
Fear makes him powerful.

The Greek Orthodox church officially considers Harry Potter to be satanic.

It's aimed at kids to conflate fantasy with spirituality.

Point to them, I suppose.

man made religious traditions and ignorance

Just another example of protestants being 1000+ years behind the times.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_Episcopi

>Catholics too.
Although I guess there's retards in every creed to be completely honest.

This guy gets it.

Satan should really be seen more as a necessary evil, the one who carries out justice against sinners.

Silly user, don't you know that Paradise Lost is biblical canon?

>not the Comedia

members.shaw.ca/jeanaltemeyer/drbob/TheAuthoritarians.pdf

>Catholics too.

Even Jehovahs Witness niggers chimp out too.

theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/29/mayonhika-otomi-damaged-jehovahs-witnesses-mexico

It's in the interests of some American Protestant groups looking to segregate themselves to resist assimilation into any sort of mass media culture.

because youre projecting out of interest

go try carrying the dead yourself before you align to them

I thought you were bullshitting me but no it's true. Not only that, they recommend you don't read any fantasy literature.

What? Niggu, protestants were claiming riock n' roll and Elvis were Satanic back in the day. This isn't projecting, this is an established trend.

The other day, a pastor was saying 'Pokemon Go' is demonic.

The irony is that Harry Potter & D&D's creators definitely made their works more pro-Christian than anti. The only thing that pops into my head when someone calls Harry Potter Satanist is that of a hilariously badly written fanfiction.

They fear fictional magic because they God is just as fictional as it. The reality wouldn't fear fiction.

tbf their entire aesthetics is pretty occultish

>satan is the one carrying out the punishment
>satan isnt being punished alongside the sinners

daily reminder that john milton is not biblical canon, and satan is punished alongside all other deserving in the lake of fire

Harry Potter genuinely is Satanic to be honest. Teaching females to read and write is probably the worst thing mankind has ever done.

On the note of D&D, Gygax and Arneson borrowed pretty extensively from Three Hearts and Three Lions, a fantasy work in which a man becomes a Catholic paladin in another world, the basis for the game's morality (the original law/chaos dynamic).

Isn't Satan just a guy doing the job God gave him?

It's a meme, and by meme I mean an actual academic meme. They honestly think that those things teach or encourage legitimate magic, which of course is of the devil, which of course leads to Hell. They're so convinced of it that they don't see any reason to actually look into it and think about it for themselves. It's such a meme that my mother who hasn't been a Christian for years still thought DnD was demonic after all this time, not that she knew what it was to begin with, of course. The meme doesn't really exist beyond the Bible Belt, probably due to people not taking religion as seriously elsewhere.

It exists in Latin America too.

Because people also take religion very seriously there. Also, there's the aspect of magic being a real part of people's syncretic belief systems and something that's actually done.

The Catholic Church still forbids people from getting their fortunes told or playing around with Ouija boards. They take that stuff quite seriously. They just have a bit more nuance, and so they didn't lose their shit at Harry Potter.

Or at least some of them didn't. Their chief exorcist was a bit perturbed.

The take genuine occultism and magic seriously, but like most things the Church says not to do, most Catholics don't care. The Church isn't so anal they say actual fantasy is Satanic.

>Ouija boards
>genuine occultism and magic

True, I guess you're right about that. But I doubt they know the difference between actual Occultism and spooky stuff that just looks like it. Point being they're not so retarded to think that a card game or rolling dice is magic.

They only have two settings for things: Biblical and satanic.
It seems to just be the people, though. Like, they'd be the same way with other stuff. Closeminded zealots.

Doing Harold Bloom proud.

Among the dumber ones, genuine fear that it'll summon satan or some shit.

Among mainstream Christians, it's fear that their children will be interested in something that Christianity deems evil and thus come to the association that "Christian = wrong; because I like magic".