/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

dead edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-alpha1

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Also, Fireden.net is down. Has it been down for a while? If so, I'll start looking around for a new archive.

In all the years I've been coming to this general I've never been to a link between the wiki and "this pasta". If I'm at all representative of the rest of /dfg/, then maybe replacing it is unnecessary.

Maybe. It's mostly there because it's always been there.

Guys what if in the myth and magic update, Toady connects the eerie glowing pits to a place even deeper than hell

Oh shit
Imagine that in adventure mode if you get powerful enough you can go to hell and see whats in the glowing pits
Or in fortress mode you can have a magic dwarf that can actually go into the pit and survive

Underhell? Seems kinda silly, just connect them to alternate dimensions with those intestine dwarves being drowned by ghosts in bile.

Like uh... Superhell? Megahell? Infrahell?

>that filename

What happen

Look at the year.

Weirdest birthday ever, lemme tell ya.

>A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS APPEARS
>10 goblins and 7 trolls this time
>order squad of 2 archers to top of tower at fort entrance
>when the enemy comes one of them jump down 5 z-levels instead of shooting
>he shatters knee on impact with ground
>loses conscience and is surrounded by foes hitting him
>his friend also jumps down but lands perfectly
>proceeds to kill everything except 1 troll fleeing in horror in a matter of seconds
>his friend is somehow not dead and is carried to the hospital
>after hours of care he wakes up and instantly goes to spar

I have 40 more dwarves just like these two, is there anything that can bring my fort down?

apart from digging too deep

Phobos

fps death

why the FUCK is nothing happening when i assign jobs. i can't cut trees or gather plants, my dwarves just fucking stand around.

Maybe they just don't like you.

>I improved my fighting. That was very satisfying!
>Entrails has bled to death.

I desire to know what this is.

Can you cook in adventure mode or something? How do I satisfy "eat a decent meal" need?

This guy means business.

whoops, didn't mean to reply

Eat a preferred food. It doesn't have to be cooked.

This is the kind of beast you catch using bridges and path towards invaders. Probably worse than a bronze colossus desu.

You set intemperance to the absolute minimum because you can't fulfill it with an adventurer unless you want to dfhack roasts up or something, they don't work from reactions alone.

>Gruesome wounds. I must press on!
>Guts have been severed

We have "heaven" and hell

Purgatory?

Can someone kind of give me a size scale of a Elephant Man? I know they have somewhere like 35 times the amount of volume as a human, but I'm having trouble actually imaging the scope of my adventurer's size.

I have other plans.

what about an adamantine colossus

Not a possible thing without modding. Unless you gave them some sharp attacks they would be a lot less effective than you might imagine.

The forgotten beast is in the water. I might get to obsidianize it. Also this bugbat is having a hell of a day.

A slade colossus on the other hand is a fucking nightmare.

Wtf I love bugbats now. They're baiting the beast toward the oncoming magma.

Got a 6 pack to myself tonight. How can I turn DF into a drinking game?

>identify meme reference: drink
>dorf does something stupid: drink
>dorf drinks: drink twice
>dorf dies: drink three times
>dorf dies of alcohol poisoning: chug

Bax got out of the water, but now it's surrounded by fire and magma. Marcasite isn't firesafe.

>leave world-gen going for a couple hours
>nap
>walk the dog
>get back
>stop it at 999
>disgonbegud.webm
>load save
>loading occupations...
>two minutes later
>loading occupations.....
>dang

I just noticed you don't have varied ground tiles on, and for some reason am disappoint.

I like your style honestanon.

God what a frustrating thing.

>1.375 GB memory used
>still takes a dickyear

You need an anvil to make an anvil?
But where did the original anvil come from?
This is what is known as an "uncaused cause."
Hail to the Anvil God, Father to every anvil.

Well fuck. Bax has just proceeded to desperately parkour all around my damn cavern and has successfully avoided all of the fire and magma. He's back in the water where the magma is unlikely to reach before it runs out. I guess I'll reload and try again.

>varied ground tiles
Ew. That's almost as bad as using a rectangular tileset.

you can't really do much with a 6 pack my man
that's probably like a single serving for a dwarf

sadly, I lack superior dwarven genes that grant me an ironclad liver.

Start a marksdwarf training program. Set bolt production on repeat. Every time you see an "equipment mismatch" announcement take a swig.

probly looking at something like this in comparison to a dwarf, 41x the mass.

Maybe Entrails could come back next tourney, as a new and improved "Black Swordsman Entrails"

It seems I'm a retard. How do I run this in ubuntu?

You're just trying to get my hangry up here aren't you?

replace it with windows 7 t b h

the tourney had a lot of anime-esque moments

What the fucking fuckity fuck shit did he do to you to deserve that? Rape your grandmother to death at your wedding before molesting your niece with granny's wooden leg?

How do I change the skin material of a bronze colossus to something like Adamantine or Steel with DFhack? Or can I only do it by editing Raws?

"I'm feeling a little stuffy, might have a cold." (caught a case of ubuntu)
'Well, you could eat some soup, and drink some nyquil.' (install literally any other linux distribution)
"Nah man, I know what you need to do bro, take this needle full of aids and shoot it right in your balls!" (installing an old as fuck windows version)

More seriously though, open a terminal, cd to your df folder, probably either df_linux or .dwarffortress, there should be a df file in there, and if you have dfhack installed there will also be a dfhack file in there, run ./df or ./dfhack and it'll launch. If you installed through the package manager you could probably also just type dwarffortress directly but it won't launch dfhack if you're wanting it.

windows 7 is flawless.

why is vista afraid of 7
because 7 8 9

Imagine I put a picture of someone staring for a second before busting into laughter here.

Just passing through to say that this is my favorite general. Someday I'll sit my lazy ass down and create a new fort with some whacky megaproject for your entertainment

:c

>show up for work my first day
>mfw my lady realizes she has no face

>get a huge goblin siege
>scared but it's going really well, they're dying by the dozens, even get in a few well times ballista bolts that caused huge damage to their ranks
>game crashes
>reload
>a few things go slightly differently and I end up slaughtered
TOOOOAAAAADYYYYYYY

Could be worse.

>discover the bandits about to mug someone are actually a couple dozen weapon lords
>bumrush one off the ledge over the well area
>wade in and start hacking and bashing and fling them around with my trunk
>enjoying the chaos as I'm hacking away at the weapon lords while casually removing the facial features of a lowly axeman elf
>toss him into the crowd
>keep murdering
>get carried away and don't notice how many there were
>game freezes due to too many attacks queued up at once

No hard feelings: the joint/armour damage update made the sieges much harder.

FUUUUUUUUUUuuccccccckkkkk, I knew I didn't feel like checking to see when last time I saved was. Back before finding where the dragon I had just killed was, or getting anywhere near that hamlet. Bleh.

Did Toady ever allow goblins to tunnel/dig out walls to penetrate your fort's defenses? I haven't played in a while but I thought this was going to be a thing

Posting this while I still can.

>artifact release

A dorf got a mood and made a pimp-ass artifact bow.

The hell do i do with it?

The smiles and whatnot are bretty gewd.

Hit him with it unless you can make arrows and get them to use it?

the truth

No. He actually never finished the alleged military arc that all this overworld stuff was supposed to be about nearly a decade ago.

yeah, but they would be inmortal
Or If the creature was a giant sentient adamantine sword, he could just tackle people and bisect them
Truly a monstrousity, gods would fall easier than him

please keep drawing, your style is the comfiest shit ever
he has a name? great, a new folder for my archives

>that massive dick
can't wait for interbreeding logistics
thanks honestanon

It's still planed, dont worry for atleast 4 years more, hehehe
Honest question, should joint damage be nerfed?
Its gonna change the game so much, and it even isnt such a big update

>Honest question, should joint damage be nerfed?
I don't think so honestly. It's appropriate and both the player and adversaries can use it to their advantage.

>Honest question, should joint damage be nerfed?
A bit.

It would be fun to see more actual broken and dislocated joints, and less torn nerves.

Also, it should probably be balanced so that it doesn't favour the larger force as much as it currently does.

Before joint damage, the battle in DF was basically Dynasty Warriors, with a small militia slashing down gobbos left and right, while every lucky hit the gobbos got ended up deflected or just leaving a bruise. Now, even one of those lucky hits will easily cripple even a legendary soldier on the spot, making your militia much more vulnerable against the gobbo hordes.

It might be more realistic, but it's not always very fun.

I agree with you, but the problem is not too realism, the problem is the lack of realism

You see, most hits to the head shouldnt end up in broken necks, the neck actually have some very thick layers of fat, muscle and tendons, not to talk about the thickness of the vertebrae itself
A direct hit should break those tendons and ligaments before breaking the neck, as you point out with dislocation stuff
The current system is actually like having a crystal neck sorrounded by flesh. Yeah, you'r neck will survive, but with any moderately strong hit, your spine will shatter, and that isnt realistic

Although I love the combat system, there should be more proper escalation in a fight, not too much, because combat isnt like the movies, but people should definitely freak out about having blood come out of their throats and stuff like that, you get me?
Having some fly-man suddenly break your neck with a thrown spoon is hilarious, but only the first three times

>train my attributes by swimming, knapping, throwing rocks, hunting animals for 3 hours
>become hero of my town by killing whatever my lord wants
>bretty gud, gonna gather an army and assault the dark fortress in a bit
>lucky bite from night hobo
>motor nerve severed
>Ability to stand lost

I felt like the guy from Born in the 4th of July

I don't know about joint damage, he should nerf nerve damage.

>dedthred

Dwarf Fortress General is dead. It was inevitable.

It's been years and my dwarves have neve thrown a party. What gives? I normally wouldn't mind but the more social dwarves are getting stressed over it. And yes, I have multiple heeting halls.

Any particular reason that you haven't made a tavern yet?

I have. Two of them. Still no parties.

Ok apparently parties just no longer exist the way they used to. Nevermind.

Oh shit I totally forgot this. If the tourney drawer user hasen't decided on what to draw, then this moment would be pretty good.

I remember hearing this 7 8 9 joke as a kid and being confused as hell and always though it was one of those chicken crossed the road type of things. Maybe my english skills were too poor or I was literally retarded.

>english skills were too poor or I was literally retarded
reminds me

Recommend me a square tileset, with diagonal walls.
Also, is there any way to make double walls ont have those stupid looking holes everywhere, or at least make them better looking, like in picture related?

Taffers

Seems good, these holes are still bothering me though. Any way to edit the graphics to fill them up, or at the very least make them smaller?
Also, do I need dfhack to be able to see multiple z-levels below me, or can I get it to work in standalone?

forgot pic

I don't know. I usually don't build many adjacent walls. So I never noticed that

Is there a way to deal with the ticks, snails, worms, etc. that are infesting my poultry coop? And do they even impact anything?

The soil layer of my fort is sprouting copious cave moss and and a few plump helmets outside the farm, but my dwarves aren't harvesting the helmets for some reason. How can that be remedied and why isn't the harvesting happening?

No they don't. Sometimes I think animals bring vermin with them, elk birds always are surrounded by creepy crawlers no matter where they are in my games. Cats hunt vermins if tha thelps.

Those are vermins, bring some cats along and yes, at least they give dwarfs unhappy thoughts. IIRC they also can spoil food, but I recommend consulting wiki on this question.
Dwarfs ignore wild plants as long they are not ordered to collect them directly or plant gathering area is not set.

I brought four cats along and stationed two of them in that room, vermin still remain. Thanks for the info about setting a gather area.

When birds "root around" at their feet they uncover vermin. They can be assumed to be eating them but it's abstracted atm.
They are harmless, and will disappear shortly.

If wild plump helmets or other things are growing you need to tell your dwarves that you want them collected. Ass[i]gn a gathering zone, and they will do so.

edited the dwarf icons as they were practically indistinguishable from humans. Pretty gud tileset otherwise.