Convince me to not invest $10,000 into the s&p right now

Convince me to not invest $10,000 into the s&p right now.

I'm tired of waiting to time the market and missing out.

Should I just I invest it already???

I waited nearly a fucking year for a "dip" because you fucks kept saying a crash was imminent any second now.

Why would you ever invest money when the market is at a peak of any sort?

You wait for a bear market and then wisely invest in an index.

Because the market has been at a peak for years now.

How the fuck am I suppose to time it? ??

Why not just invest your 10k into your 401k, if you have one?

In preparation for an expected downturn, I moved all my 401k assets into balanced equities. Once the market bottoms out again, it gets moved back into higher-risk indices.

I live in canada and I don't know how to do the equivalent of that

timing the market is for retards. The best way to invest is do it as early as possible to let compounding work its magic so you achieve capital appreciation and dividend growth

Is it too late now?

I literally waited almost a year.

I kept thinking "ok le dip is coming any second now", then I kept thinking "This dip isn't big enough, need a bigger one" - and it recovered each time within days.

Fuck.

Should I just put it all into an s&p etf and leave it at that?

Probably not, etfs are traded as shares so unless you buy in huge volumes regular trading will smack you with hella high fees.

I'd suggest either learn to pick shares or invest in an index tracker such as one of Vanguard's funds. Actually, not one, a diversified selection of them

I was thinking one of Vanguard's s&p500 index etfs actually

Fees are only $10/trade

Unless you plan on day trading it's pointless getting ETFs over just investing into the fund I'd say. if you want to go down that rabbit hole be prepared for watching the market and a lot of stress. i don't know anything about it and i'm never touching it

ETFs have smaller fees in Vanguards case, unless you have 50k plus in one fund

They don't offer funds in Canada.

Also the ETFs have a lot lower MER. I don't see what the difference would be. Why couldn't I just buy and hold them?

You don't need funds domiciled in canada, you can just open a brokerage account and then invest in their global, small-cap, emerging markets funds. I seriously doubt there is not 1 broker in canada that doesn't let you put money into any vanguard fund.

>Why couldn't I just buy and hold them?

Well you could, but the difference between an etf and the mutual fund is that etfs are traded on the market as shares, and dollar-cost averaging makes it easy to drip feed money monthly into funds, and most platforms have some functionality to setup automated monthly investing into funds which is useful.

Then ill get fucked by currency conversion fees.

I don't really see a point or difference

The Canadian versions have the exact same holdings besides being denominated in Canadian dollars.

Well with my platform investing in funds doesn't have any fees, unlike trading shares or etfs which are £10 a trade. So I personally am much more in favour of investing right into the funds, and I'm in the global equity ex-uk fund, the emerging market, and the small-cap fund.

I am invested into 1 uk fund, which is the vanguard uk gilts index. But if all you're going to do is hold then I guess it's not so bad. Just don't get sucked into the meme trading shit.

Yeah I'm not dude. Buy and hold.

This is the most efficient way to invest in vanguard funds in Canada

do business with it, it has a much higher return rate. If you get 6% back on your stocks people go apeshit. But that is 600 bucks, i make 500 on my 2,000 investment every 2-3 weeks.

doing what, day trading?

none of that meme shit, no coins either. I am working in a wood industry, buy refine, sell.

Ah, good to hear.

> not dropping everything in an index fund 10 days ago.

You fucked up. Please don't try to time the market ever again.

i am always surprised how people think that the stock market is a fast way to make money, it is a long term investment strategy only unless you are trading on commission some others persons money.

>> not dropping everything in an index fund 10 days ago.
>You fucked up. Please don't try to time the market ever again.

I-i won't senpai...

Should I do it now?

Also,

> he thinks a 2, or even 5% dip is significant in the grand scheme of things.

Just shut up and DCA in a balanced portfolio over 30 years already.

I wish I could be making my money sweat more for me, but I actually really like finance and investing. I've applied for some finance internships but my undergrad studies trained me in programming. I'm from a poor area with shitty prospects for young people so haven't got a job in industry yet.

I make a regular income from teaching at least

i-i'm sorry senpai...

I'll dollar cost average from now on but what about in the meanwhile? Just dump the $10k in?

Go ahead m8

i just don't know, it feels so uncertain

What do if I just invested all my shekels and the market is down -30% because of le trump

Who gives a fuck? My stock portfolio jumped to -32, now its going back up nicely

Yes, do it as soon as the market opens today, in fact. You can always try your hand at timing the market in the future (i.e. pulling out) if you think a crash is imminent.

[spoiler] Don't do it though. [/spoiler]

but my man the thing is also since I'm in Canada I'm buying at an unfavorable rate.

If CAD and usd go to parity i'll lose like 25%

Your investments will be sold and shown in your portfolio in your own currency, it's not like you're trading in an american market. To invest in shares and stuff in foreign nations you usually have to fill out tax forms.

Just don't worry about it would be my suggestion

>Your investments will be sold and shown in your portfolio in your own currency, it's not like you're trading in an american market

Yes but it's essentially converted.

For example the ETF Made retarded gains when CAD dropped like a rock because you're buying US equities with Canadian dollars

build a business and make investments into it. Same shit only 100% more control over your outcome

bump

If CAD appreciates against the USD, wouldn't that mean you can buy even more shares with your monopoly money? I say go for it.

Yes but i'd have lost out on what i invested

why didnt you go in on the huge dip that was november 8/9

Lmao. Another one falls to the index fund meme.

how is it a meme

Should I be trading Trumpcoins?

>why didnt you go in on the huge dip that was november 8/9

There was no dip.

The market was up and it only went up after the election.

Do it faggot!!!!

Come back in a month and tell us why it a bad idea.

If your not a faggot you would wait a few months for this whole thing to fall apart then s&p. And buy cents on the dollar compared to now.

>If your not a faggot you would wait a few months for this whole thing to fall apart then s&p. And buy cents on the dollar compared to now.

I've been following this advice for almost a year.

Still waiting for that "Fall apart" part of the plan.

Still waiting for that dip.

bought SPY 18 months ago, sold at 2160 peak, bought back at 2090. sold yesterday a 2190.

Market timing is easy bros

Trump got elected.

It's not going to fall apart, it's going to rise to new heights while sensible policies repair insane failing ideological ones.

I don't even live there and I moved pretty much all my diversified shit out of Canada and into the US.

Op here

I'm in Canada too. But juwt with the uncertainty of trump and low CAD I was worried about investing rn.

You think it's promising?

>You think it's promising?

I would not invest if I though I would lose money.

But didn't trump a lot of shit that would fuck shit up?

Seems he's going back on most of it so that's good at least but seems ridiculously volatile.

So what'd you invest in? I'm gonna invest all into s&p and total market

RRSP dummy

Trump is a politician like any other. Lots of crazy promises to get elected, not so much when elected.

What he is, is a successful businessman, economist, and smarter than he appears. I think his core policies will result in gains in the Us economy over the course of his presidency. This is not a short term investment.

I moved cash into tsx traded us market index etf's.

True my man.

On the one hand I like trump, on the other hand some of the things he's said are terrifying. Luckily he seems to be appointing smart people and of course has congress to go through.

I was just worried about the trade deals, fucking with the fed, etc

>some of the things he's said are terrifying

Kys puasy

This.

/pol/ pls go.

We all know you guys have no money. You lost it all to jews and are bitter about it.

any advice? how did you get into the wood industry biz anyway? I would love a separate thread on your story!

have a beautiful picture in return.

>being on one side of an ever growing trade

godspeed, but you're likely wrong. 5% gain for a possible 20% downturn doesn't make sense in a low inflation environment.

I can post a few things a bit later but I have no idea if you're going to find the thread

then is it better to post here?

or just post with the cocorocha pic later if busy now. im on here most days

alive?

Short it now OP, trust me.

NYSE PSQ

Short ETF for the Nasdaq 100. You could probably find one for the S&P 500.

yes

Hi user.

Fuck all these guys.

USD is going to the fucking moon and taking equities with it. Go to your favorite charting site and look at weekly/monthly candlestick charts of DXY and the S&P. just look at them. It's also the strong season for US Equities btw

rest of you idiots keep shorting zoz

futures dipped (futures markets are open 24/5)

I-is it really

Supposedly the markets gonna crash again because (who knew) pushing credit cards causes the same bubble as giving bad mortgages.

the globalists will crash the market in about 3 months from now

get with the program

What's you're investment time horizon? If it's decades just dump it in. If not dollar cost average it.

Wtf is a cocorocha? I'll post tomorrow noon swiss time

I just added $4,000 S&P a week ago

This

Stay out until inauguration+1month at the earliest

Where were you Feb 11 or June 27 or Nov 4

I will ask you a series of fairly simple questions

What is your time horizon for taking the money back out?
a. 1 year
b. 5 years
c. 10+ years

If you were to lose:
a. 25% of the principle
b. 50% of the principle
i would not panic

I plan on:
a. investing small amounts monthly
b. investing large amounts monthly
c. investing 0 more dollars

If you answered a to question 1 it isn't worth it.
If you answered a or b to question 2, you should be ok to invest it
If you answered a or b to question 3, you can go ahead and invest it. If you answered c to question 3 it also isn't worth it.

The reason why you hear dip purchases loudly is because investing all your capital at once is sensitive to market up and downs and can scare most people. But if your time horizon is 5+ years where you are not pulling the money out, in general, you don't need to worry about market volatility.

To combat this investors with a long term horizon will invest the minimum needed to open the account and then invest monthly, as investing over time (in smaller amounts) results in purchases during highs and lows and results in better purchasing power. However, buying in to the minimum, depending on your broker, means you will always have a decent chance of starting out poorly, so don't let that stop you from getting in there. As an example I bought in to the Vanguard Total International Stock Fund Admiral Shares for 10k, which is the minimum to start the fund. Afterwards I drop it down to like 50 a week or whatever I want to do with it. Obviously it will be a bit of the down side for a bit but will normalize itself out in time.

This. OP is a larping faggot or was looking for something that happened 3 times while he was completely unaware.

Either way OP will not make it.

I waited for a bigger dip then it recovered, niggers.

How was I suppose to know?

1. 10+ years

2. Even if I lost 90% id doubledown even harder

3. Whenever possible I dont have stable income

I'm trying to decide between splitting it up and cost averaging or lumpsum tbqh

Go for it. A study (citation required) showed that most of the time a lump deposit is better than withholding funds to drip-feed, due to opportunity cost as well as transaction fees.

It's time in the market, not timing the market.

That said, if that's the sum total of funds you're going to invest, I'd diversify a bit. Get at least a bit of overseas exposure.

I see you're a fellow Britcuck. Considered P2P, chum? Low entry price, generally no trading fees, easy returns in the 12%-20% apr range. Even if you want to mainly go the stocks and shares route I think you'd have to be nuts not to have at least some P2P in your portfolio.

go with cost averaging, then you don't need to constantly watch the market
unless your bored or something

Should have bought the dip after Trump got elected.

You can still get in before America is made Great Again.

read the photo name...

Sorry went a bit retard with the picture thing. So here is how i did things, might be useful.
I lived in an industrial town with ~150k people in Europe, which is pretty small by any standards.
Family was middle class, could afford nice things, parents really wanted me to be a doctor, but i noticed that all doctors are earning shit unless they are crooks or have a rich family anyway.
So naturally i thought "fuck that shit".I looked at what were the biggest companies doing in my area and how much their turnover was (all available in public registries), biggest ones were the ones making furniture with turnovers of something like 50-100m (they give this range). Furniture requires a lot of wood, so naturally there are many wood processing companies in my area as well, so I took a look around there talked to the people to see what they were like. 90% had IQ of a rotten apple so i thought if they can do this i can too.
Saved up some money and bought myself a nice soviet wood cutting machine, and some raw planks (really wide ones with bark still on them) and started cutting them in my parents garage. Bought rough materials for 80-85/m3 sold for 90-100/m3. Got contracts with no competition with the smaller companies because most of the supplliers only hire drunks or work odd hours when they run out of money, plus with their size they couldnt hold a big supplier anyway.
Found out this new thing made from wood waste used as fuel. Bought a truck sold it to people heating their summer houses in winter for 25% profit, 2k in 2,3k-2,5k out. Kept doing it within my capabilities to sell. Getting good money in winter, around half in summer. So far am doing better than any of my peers. Pretty straightforward story. If you have some questions just ask.

I take it that your selling some sort of biomass/sawdust pellets for wood burning stoves from your sawmill waste?

At a revenue of roughly $10-15 per m3 how many m3 can you do in a day and what is your labor, maintenance an power cost from that?

I have decent access to wood and an acquaintance in the furniture industry (currently in SEA). Do you just deal in Pine?

yeah softwood pine and spruce mainly, but might be interested in some other woods as long as they are not too exotic. Its in euros, labor is dependent on volume but pretty much nothing as i do most of the work myself, i do around 15m3 a day. Yeah its wood pellets, its heating season now so it is really easy to sell. Sold 2 full trucks last week in 2 days.

I can get walnut, teak, mahogany easily.

so your basically saying you make 150-225e per day turning rough sawn lumber into S4F planks (surfaced 4 sides)?

plus 2k/mo selling wood pellets?

For Switzerland, this seems low. How long have you been in business and how did you find customers before you bought equipment?

its more like 2k a week, i said its 300-500 per truck,5-8 trucks a week. Switzerland is a very dumb country to do business on small scale to be honest. I've been doing this for 2 years now. Teak might be interesting for me, is it dried or humid?

I reckon it makes more sense from your perspective to get dried. that being said, dense wood to be low moisture anyway and the local mills would know better how to dry it.

shipping to Europe is what I know nothing about.

I didnt see you post 3-500e per truck or 5-8 trucks a week.

I just dont understand how 150e per day sawing wood (if questions are correct) makes financial sense in Switzerland. I could make that bar tending with less noise, mess and hassle.

what model pellet machine do you use and where did you find it online? maybe I can apply that to SEA market (i dont live in Europe so cant steal your biz).

going to bed back tomorrow, thanks for chatting, please check again tomorrow.

Yeah, bar tending you'd make 3000 franks a month if you're lucky or if you are not in one of the big cities, and there you'd pay at least 80% of that just to support yourself. I average 225 euros (240~ franks) a day on the wood.
I dont use any machine for pellets i just buy and resell them. I have a contact in Eastern Europe who gets them very cheaply made for me. He sells to china as well, if you are interested i can hook you up.

Go for nikkei.

sure, whats the company name? Perhaps I can move them in north America. Im in SEA but not from the region. no demand for heating here lol.

sorry, I had assumed our lack of response to my assumption you used waste from your sawmill for the pellets was an affirmation.

Any liability on you if the pellets cause a chimney fire or release toxic fumes, etc?

on a side note, your bartenders are paid shit if that includes tips...

i'd rather not post it here so he doesn't end up on some spam email rotation. Do you have a throwaway email i can send the info to?
I had no problems with the pellets so far, but we negotiated a discount on new product depending on the damage.
>on a side note, your bartenders are paid shit if that includes tips...
Everyone makes shit in switzerland to be honest if you are living in Switzerland. If you work minimum wage you have to save 100% of it for 5 years to put down a deposit for a 1 room apartment.