Will I die if I start riding a bike?

>Lives in the city with the highest insurance rates in all of Ontario :(

Insurance will kill you. Especially if you even think of riding a bike like pic related.
Come to BC, its slightly less shit and weather/roads are better

brampledesh?

You know it fom

Insurance isnt even too bad, its moreso the fact that I dont want to get ran into because people dont know how to drive and barely speak english

Amerifag here, why is insurance so expensive for you Canadians? The only person getting hurt in a motorcycle crash is going to be the motorcyclist and insurance companies let you put as much or as little as you want on yourself. Collision and comprehensive is obviously optional as well. I insure 3 motorcycles (one 250, one 600, and one 1000) for $600/year. And that is with a recent DUI on my record.

>Insurance will kill you
Got a sample quote from geico, liability insurance is $30/month, not too bad. Did I miss something?

Just ride without insurance or plates and run if you get lit up, Ontario won't chase.

The reason why insurance rates are bad where i live is because people get into so many accidents! Which is why i feel like im gonna get hit weeks into riding next summer :/

don't waste your time riding in the city and read up/practice your braking and cornering skills (or hell do an advanced rider course at a track) and you'll have much better chances.

Some people actually deliberately go for rides in the city and that blows my mind.

The two ways most people die on bikes is they get hit by retarded cars in the city or they're scrubs and crash on a corner/run wide into oncoming.

this guy lived

It's certainly a lot more likely to die shortly after riding a bike than in a car (about 43 times more likely IIRC) but practicing basic riding skills and not being stupid can significantly reduce your risk. Learn good lane positioning and strategies for making yourself more visible and honk if you think someone is about to pull out in front of you and kill you. Don't ride drunk. Don't treat the street like a race track, etc.

>implying you're not already dead

>people dont know how to drive and barely speak english

>Canada
>Barely speak English
What the fuck is going on up there?

Ne sais-tu pas que nous ne parlons que le français?

I'm from Brampton as well. Just started riding this year. Its best to ride outside of the GTA (more rural areas) when riding for fun. When commuting you don't have a choice obviously.

Insurance isn't too bad as long as you take a rider training course. Just make sure you shop around, don't just accept the first couple quotes. My insurance company for my car was going to charge me $6k for 1 mill liability on the bike. Managed to get 1 mill liability and fire + theft from another company for less than half that.

Lucky you! What do you ride? And I took my course and Riders Plus gave me some quotes for under 3k which I dont even mind. Definitely looking for a dual sport or something that doesnt mind being dropped and worked on

Think more towards South Asian people

You are statistically more likely to die in a crash but IIRC rates of actually crashing on a bike are about the same as a car. If you keep aware of your surroundings, don't ride like a fuckin idiot and practice your skills you'll probably be fine.
Keep your eyes open and keep them up.

YOU GON DIE IF YOU RIDE A BIKE BOY is a meme.

As long as you don't act and dress like a squid and hone the skill, you'll be fine.

I have a 2009 Ninja 500r. I wanted a sport bike and I liked the 90s styling of it. Anything above 600cc gets insured as a super sport anyway and then the rates really go up. At least that's what I was told.

Riders plus quoted me around $2200-$2300 so you're not too far off.

Dual sports are a great option! You buying new or used?

Oh yeah and don't start on a 600. If you've never ridden before you'll be surprised with how much a 300~ can put out.

Also ignore the "you'll outgrow it" meme.
When you get a car people don't tell you "Oh you have a V6? When are you going to get a V8? I'm already riding a V12 faggot huehuehue"

Just enjoy the bike and if you truly feel you need something more of if something tickles your fancy get it.

Motorcycle death statistics are grossly inflated by non-helmet crashes, drug/alcohol related crashes, and of course general idiots.

With that said, don't get it twisted, you are much harder to see and will get caught up in a collision if you let your guard down.

Also, the sad reality is, motorcycle accidents are far more preventable than people want to believe. Just think about how many car accidents are avoided each day because the drivers are actually obeying the speed limit and are also able to stop much quicker. The same isn't true for motorcyclists because these guys are able to accelerate so much faster and have a tendency to go quicker in general

Combined with just how poor the brakes are on modern cruisers, dirt bikes, etc... are, it's a lose-lose scenario.

Get a nice 600 man. Sport bikes can out-brake any other category of motorcycle. Their geometry lets them load the front wheel like no tomorrow and makes it very hard to lock up resulting in insane friction and braking.

not sure what you mean my cbr front brake is super fucking touchy. but the don't start on a 600 is meme. if you're pegging the tach 600s have power. people who start on 600s and crash are just as likely to crash on something smaller.

I have no desire for a 600cc anytime soon anyways. But wow sounds like a nice bike! And anything from a cbr125 to a dr200. Something i can learn from and pass on to another scrub like me :D

The chances certainly go up.

yeah dude, get a 600

>The newbie on a 600 experience, in onomatopea:
>vrrrr-rrr-rrrclunk
>starter noises
>vrrr-rrr-rr-rrrVRROOOOOOMmmmm-rmrmrmrmrmrm
>clutch grinding noises
>vrrrrrrrrrrrrrm
>click
>vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm
>click
>vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM
>crash
>OH GOD MY ARM

I guess if you have no concept how a clutch works that would happen.

Those are also the funniest crashes to watch.

Except they crash ten times harder on 600s, and someone who might be able to deal with a 250 twin's power delivery might not even think before twisting the throttle on a 600 and hit the powerband into a lightpole.

If someone wants to start on a big bike, or has to becasue they daily a lawless highway infested with aggressive muscle car drivers, they should look for gixxer 750s, honda VFRs and CB400s, bigger twins like the SV650, ninja 650/versys, GS500, and ninja 500, and hospital beds so they can get used to the feeling ahead of a time.

Both good choices. Although I would recommend a cbr250 over a 125. Especially if you'll be driving highway.

>people crash harder on 600's
>recommends GSX-R750

Hopefully.

Kek got em

Instantly. Soon as you get moving, the wheel police will be around to shoot you in the head.

Insurance on a small bike is cheap here, considering my motoring fuckups.
But then, you have to take compulsory basic training and are limited to a 125cc until you do more training for a bigger bike.

>Also ignore the "you'll outgrow it" meme
Only if you don't start on a small bike. But bikes are cheap, unlike cars, so you can sell it for a bigger one easily.