Wrenching stuff

Hey Veeky Forums, what are the basic tools for everyday wrenching one needs?
>jack(should come with your car)
>axle stands/ramps
>one of pic related(or an actual box that goes bigger than 13mm)
>big ass spanners for shitty bolts that won't budge
>screwdrivers and allens, torx bits
>extra screws, nuts and bolts because you will eventually lose some

I decided to get into it because autonigger can't even change oil without fucking up something as simple as putting new o rings or something

Other urls found in this thread:

m.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=84592099
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A spare car. So you can go buy tools when you need them.

>being this rich

Then again I might just buy one for 500 shekels for that purpose(and don't insure/register because it will just sit on the driveway)

all i got right now is a socket set going up to 14mm, a relatievly long plier, and this neato allen key set I used to wrench guns with, highly recommend it. pic related.

Needle nose pliers
Adjustable wrench
Battery jump starter/leads
A breaker bar
Jerry can/nozzle
Car cover/garage
Torque wrench with adjustable Nm.
Lighting
Open head spanners
Closed but offset spanners
Wire cutters
Ammeter. (or whatever they're called)
Wd40
Broker catalyst (great stuff)

All of these are great choices but the most important to me would be the breaker bar/socket set with a few spanners around 13mm. Also an adaptor if you need one for the breaker bar and socket set. Also get an wextandable tyre iron. Nothing is stuck you just need more leverage.

You're a tard if you consider using a scissor jack to work on a car. Buy a real floor jack.

This. A decent floor jack (preferably low profile if you work on cars) and 4 jack stands is very important. Ramps are not worth anything unless all your doing is changing oil. Hell even a shitty 50 dollar walmart jack is better than a scissor jack but you really need jack stands because never trust a jack with your life.

Also most floor jacks have a handle that's removable that can be used to slip over your breaker bar to get some extra torque.

Also buy the Haynes or Chilton manual for your car if it's available.

And this

And this

This.

95% of the work you'll be doing can be done with your average 8mm-21mm socket wrench set, 7mm-24mm combination wrench set, a good hydraulic floor jack, set of screwdrivers, set of hex keys and a few pliers

From there and onwards you'll just keep adding onto the heap until you're sitting with a few walls and shelves full of tools

awesome garage mann, how you holding up.

Eh, my parents' garage sadly, although I do "own" pretty much all the oils, chemicals, the entirety of the lowermost picture (including compressor) and some other miscalleneous tools lying around

Same old here in the east - pretty much no snow (like 25cm on the lawn), had plus degrees for the past week and a half, although now its finally dropping & currently sitting at a comfy -11c

How're things up in the north with the Jewbaru?

driving home from work, verdal to trondheim- yesterday. I had the pleasure of being stuck behind two salting trucks going at full blast.

no snow anywhere and the 7 celsius outside of course.

looking for a winter beater now, I won't stand for this shit one more week.

Always fun when you can basically FEEL the body rust beneath you and hear the grains of salt crushing under your tires and hitting the underbody

Anything in particular you're looking for?
This one is being sold where I live; m.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=84592099

Really, really well maintained; I know the owner

was looking at 2 door SAAB 99's actually. preferably turbo if I can find one with EU out the winter.

always wanted one since I was a kid, and I figure they will be a breeze to weld rust out of considering the chassis is really thick

I might consider a 240, but my budget is about 23k after buying in spare parts, tires and fluids.

Was just about to change my oil and my oem scissor jack just broke and the car came crashing down. Could have died

Saab 99? Damn, thats a cool choice

I keep telling myself I can learn to live with its strangeness, and I will hopefully

You will never have every tool you need, when you need it.
It's futile trying to buy beforehand.
Just go out and buy the tools when you actually have a need for them.

This applies even if you have $100k worth of tools.

>Hell even a shitty 50 dollar walmart jack
a shitty 20 dollar jack is better than a scissor jack

Buy a rapid pump jack, it will save you so much time it will pay for itself after the second use. A full socket set, a ratchet, and a breaker bar. You don't need a spanner set if you have a breaker bar. And get a large and small adjustable wrench. They suck but they're invaluable when you need them.

Get an oil drain pan and an oil filter socket for the ratchet. It will make an oil change infinitely easier.

>PB Blaster
>Pipe to make a cheater bar with

>Broker catalyst
what did he mean by this?

Sorry, breaker catalyst.

>A full socket set, a ratchet, and a breaker bar. You don't need a spanner set if you have a breaker bar.
>using socket wrenches to break bolts
What the fuck is wrong with you?

For cars a set with separate 90° Allen keys is better, you often can't get that big thing where you need it.
>Also, those fancy rounded of swivel heads

I wasn't into saabs at all until i picked up a 92 900 turbo cheap. Been in love ever since.

The 88-93 900s will be the easiest to live with.