Was the 1st gen Honda CRV the greatest shitbox ever built?

Was the 1st gen Honda CRV the greatest shitbox ever built?

>Reliable, they'll go 300k+ miles easily as long as rust doesn't get them
>Compact yet very spacious on the inside, good for light hauling
>Better for winter climates with AWD
>Simple styling, minimalist yet functional interior
>Clever design like a built-in picnic table in the trunk and seats that fold flat into a bed

Seriously, has there ever been a better econobox ever made? Truly the jack of all trades IMO. They're getting on 20 years old at this point but I still see them everywhere.

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5873918607.html
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5867906174.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5890721016.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5855231270.html
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5868346921.html
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5845507916.html
youtube.com/watch?v=V72u23mplTE
youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68
youtube.com/watch?v=KqzTsuPiTVA
youtube.com/watch?v=X6yxhjEcqL4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>honda """""awd"""""
Get a subaru instead if you want something with awd that works and still checks all of those boxes. If you seriously cannot find a 2.5 with the headgaskets already done, you can get a 2.2 instead since those don't suffer from the headgasket meme.

I was gonna qualify "AWD", it's not the best but does in a pinch. Subarus of that age have issues and aren't as ubiquitous around here.

agreed, those crv's are pretty based. Granted the AWD system isn't all that superior

Fucking yes.

Outback Sport master race.

>Subaru Outback

No thanks, I'm not a flannel-wearing, tumblr-posting, privilege-checking lesbian from Portland.

Nope.

No. Civic is best. Awd is unnecessary.

But what if you need more cargo space and a picnic table?

then get a Legacy wagon.

The first car I posted is an Impreza, not an Outback. They have non-outback trim levels of both if it really triggers your autism that much to be seen in the same car that is sometimes owned by carpet munchers.

Why would you need more cargo space? The trunk is big enough for 4 people's luggage. Which is all they comfortably fits in the cabin. If I'm moving I'm renting a truck or van.

As somebody who went from a civic to a Legacy Wagon... No.

Because some of us like to go camping, fishing, on road trips, and several other activities that don't involve shitposting.

>The first car I posted is an Impreza, not an Outback
>not an Outback
>It's literally a picture of a Subaru Impreza OUTBACK Sport

I worked large item pick-up at Walmart on Black friday(thursday). I ended up jamming 40 trampolines into peoples cars that night. The amount of people who showed up in sedans and had to call their husband to bring the truck or send their friends walking so they could have 2 men force an item into their backseat was appalling.

Don't get me started on 50+ inch tv's either.

This confuses a lot of people. Even many outback owners don't know. A subaru Outback became it's own standalone car when the Legacy went into it's 3rd generation. Before that all Outbacks were just trim packages of existing Legacies and Impreza's.

There is a difference between an Outback and and Outback Sport. They are not the same car nor are they different trim levels of one car. An Outback is a lifted Legacy (b platform) and an Outback Sport is a lifted Impreza (g platform). A Chevy SS is not the same as a Camaro SS simply because they both have SS in their names.

Ayy I was large item pickup too. The amount of people that tried to fit 55" TVs into goddamn Sentras was way too high. We had to send away about 10-15 people to come back in a different car because they brought a fucking compact sedan to pick up a fuckhueg TV with. I don't think we sold a single trampoline.

It's still an Outback.

Weird, according to the higher ups we sell out trampolines every year.

And how many people do you go camping or fishing with? Why isn't one of them driving themselves?

Those people are idiots. They could've bought the tv online and not had to worry about it. Who the fuck still buys trampolines?

You're really reaching with these shitty arguments.

its funny that Honda CR-V's and Outbacks were mentioned in this thread.

Anyway if you guys could stop shitposting for a sec and help me choose a car. They are all manual except for 1 CR-V. I dont plan on paying more than $3k for any of these cars. Yes my negotiation skills are that good.

2007 Subaru Legacy Outback
$3600
mileage not shown

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5873918607.html

2001 Honda CR-V
$2000
158k miles

hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5867906174.html

2000 Honda CR-V
136k miles
$4500

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5890721016.html

2000 Honda CR-V EX
156k miles
$2500
automatic transmission

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5855231270.html

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon
128k miles
$3500

newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5868346921.html

Just get a civic.

I mean i live in new england and it gets pretty bad in the winter

how's this tho?

hartford.craigslist.org/cto/5845507916.html

I have a 2000 CRV, same color as that first one and a manual. It's a great car, never let me down, still going strong even with 250k miles on it. I agree with OP, they're great shitboxes.

is there anything i should look out for when buying one?

Had one in manual as my first real car. Loved that thing. My '04 is so very close, but it just isn't quite the same. Maybe it's the lack of tiny little extra compartments next to the card table that make me feel like a smuggler or something.

Only thing that would've made it truly perfect would've been a sixth gear, or better gear ratios (or whatever the term is) to not make it push 3.5k rpm at 60-65 mph.

If that 99 outback is a 2.2 you can expect it to last a long time. if it weren't for the rust on both rear fenders and the lower door jams it would be a great car.

Wagovan is better if you wanna mod. It also looks better imo

>implying any of those things existed when Subaru was in its prime

Well, I guess Portland did, but..

Looks good. Just get snow tires. They pave the roads so you don't need to worry about ground clearance.

i personally don't care about the rust and I plan on lowballing the shit out of that just because of the rust. How can I figure out if Is there no way I can figure out if it's a 2.2 from the ad, other than contacting the owner?

im assuming you are referring to my post and no i wont mod it, i already have a miata for when it gets nicer out.

There's no way to tell if it's a 2.2 or 2.5 without asking unless you get a vin check

Unless someone swapped it down to a 2.2, all factory Outbacks in '99 will have the DOHC EJ25 2.5L motor. These are the worst as far as headgasket failures go. The later ones can sometimes just spring an external oil leak and as long as you monitor fluid levels carefully they can go quite a while in that state. Hell my brother's going to be replacing HGs on a friend's 09 Forester with 97k miles. Sad that they never did cure that issue on the EJ series it seems.

On gen 1 CRVs, make sure to adjust the valves every 20-30k, one of their few weak spots. Higher mile units might have worn out rear trailing arm bushings (not too hard to fix), or worn out driveshafts (hard/impossible to rebuild, replace with junkyard unit).

The 5spd CRVs are really wound out and kind of noisy on the highway, but fantastic around town. RT4WD is a perfectly adequate system for what most people would ever want it for, and I'd argue better than some /most of the new electronic nanny systems that are very torque-limiting.

I thought the later models were fixed by using a special conditioner in the coolant?

hm so sounds like all my current options are shit and i should really just stick to getting this civic with snow tires

Nope that was some half-ass band aid shit by Subaru. Now, if you do replace the headgaskets at a good shop that knows what they're doing, and they use a good Fel-Pro kit, that should be a rock solid motor for another 100k. Need to make sure heads aren't warped or anything.

Not really, CRVs are an excellent choice IMO. ALL older cars will have their own set of issues, that list for the CRV is probably one of the shortest ones you'll find for anything anywhere.

Awd makes all the difference in heavily snowed areas bruv

Subaru doesnt even begin to compare to the reliability and build quality of a Honda/Toyota.

AWD is literally its only advantage.

what year did the outbacks come with a 2.2?

bump

Really wanting to build a crv with a turbo B series 2bh, or maybe an Xtrail with an SR

You like burning oil, yeah?

Get out of here with your transverse engine and fisher price "transfer case"

Rust in the rear wheel wells. Dear God the rust. Just sold my 97 crv. Miss the shit out of it. Was great to hoon in icy parking lots in winter.

It's a fucking women's car mate. I know two white girls who drive CRV's.

You'll never catch me behind the wheel of that shit. They are goos cars though

GF wants one of these for her first car. They're good, right?

>tfw when mine is starting to do this

I was gona spray some rust proofing into it, will it do anything if its already started to bubble and turn rusty colour?

If the corner above the rear plastic bumper is bubbling, it is too late sergei... it was always too late...

We have an 01 with 168k miles on it.

We got it in 07 with 3,000 miles on it. Inherited from wife's grandmother that never drove it before she had passed.

I too like the utilitarian goodness of it. Boxy, airy, useful, and does a great job in the snow. I'm not off-roading the fucking thing. Hidden compartments etc are neat.

It's like a japanese take on a mid 80's volvo wagon. Boxy but good. It has all of the qualities that personify VIN codes that start with a J.

My wife drives it. I usually drive my LS430. Im probably going to give her the LS430 when I buy a 09-11 LS460 or newer GS350, but we will be keeping the Cr-V for dump runs and other assorted ahit weather driving.

Ours shit the head gasket this past summer. Slow undetected leak in a coolant hose air bubbles and lead the path to the HG going. Outside of that, the driver window regulator is shot, and the rear latch handle is fucky. Outside of some creaks, it's great.

I had a 1999 Honda CR-V with """real-time awd""". It looked exactly like OPs picture.

It was my first car. I was 16. It had one owner prior to me, which was my aunt. She put 56 thousand miles on it. All maintenance on time, etc.

I fucking destroyed this thing. By 20 I had ripped and replaced at least 7 cv axles. mostly the front right. Ruined the suspension. Neglected the most routine of maintenance, oil changes, whatever. Eventually mulched the transmission at around 205k. Replaced it with a junkyard trans for around 1800US, It lasted til 286k, and I miss it so much.

I truly believed I was a rally driver. Snow, mud, forest roads of miles and miles of shit gravel/dirt roads. I hit a total of 5 deer in it. Only 1 required actual body work. Which ended with water leaking thru doors and somewhere under the dash You could sling it around with ease and it was so much fun.

I sold it on it's last leg. Slipping trans, creaking and popping on left AND right CVs, water leaked into it from everywhere from hitting deer, it was pure shit.

Sold it for $700 to some dude on craigslist. I saw it a week later at the junkyard. I'll never 4get u :(

It's all under the plastic fender on the top, mine just cracked a bit and I can see into.

Should I sell it next year before it gets worse?

happy with my EZ30 here

My mom's got a '98 CR-V with a little over 370k mi. on it. Still going strong, even with a burnt exhaust valve in cyl. 3. The only major repair so far was a new tranny about 20k ago, everything else has just been regular maintenance, suspension struts/bushings, and the exhaust.

No shop will fix it properly for less than the value of the whole thing. So either nig-rigg it yourself, or slap the plastic trim back on and enjoy the last 5-10 years of its life before it gets taken off the road.

Or sell it like I did.

If I wasn't buying a house soon I might have spent the time to fix it properly myself

Also, my entire list of work done outside of regular brakes/oils

Exhaust pipe flange rusted off, replaced
Valve cover gasket replaced
Valve lashing checked so valve seats don't burn
Window regulator in drivers window
Passenger side windshield drain blocked, water drains into footwell
Rear latch started sticking
Rear diff or hub was starting to go when I sold it
Passenger front cv boot tore on one of the test drives when selling it

I think that's it. All common stuff for the 1st gen. No surprises if you do your research

That red is cringe

Tell that to my 98 Legacy GT that the only major problem it's had was the headgaskets. Literally nothing else (besides consumables like the clutch, ball joints, and struts) has given me any trouble in the years I've owned it. Same with my OBXT too, minus it needing a cam sensor.

>not just throwing thicker oil into it
Mine burned oil on 10w30, it stopped when I put 10w40 in it. Subaru recommends a 10w30/40 for mostly highway miles anyway so that makes sense. Anything will burn oil if you're beating on it anyway, and my oil consumption per 1000 miles was pretty much on par with what most german manufacturers consider within spec.

no
rav4 is superior
>legendary reliability
>more fun since it's a tiny suv that pretends to be a sporty hatchback
>really nice engine
>you can take it on the track and do shit like this
youtube.com/watch?v=V72u23mplTE
>can go through a foot of snow like it wasn't even there
>you can get coilovers and eliminate the bodyroll for it to be well better at the track
>v6 version was the fastest car toyota made for a while
>new version that is almost stock just won a rally
>even "an hopeless automatic can keep up with a modded subaru legacy wagon"
>girls think rav4's are cute
crv's are shit

>t. somebody whose rav4 was rearended by a crv

I cringe at the sight of your outfit

Mines 160 000 km and is problem free, just the rust makes me fear it. Its an auto so I'm not that attached to the thing. Feel like my power windows are getting weaker tho.

That's funny you mention the drivers' side window regulator on the CRV because when I got my 2000 that was like the first thing I replaced.

160k is a spring chicken. Mine was at 250k and still can probably go another 100k

>What is Mercedes G Class

>ever purchasing anything manufactured by suzuki
shiggy

its fixable, its just hard to fix.
most people on this board are pussies who cant into welding, so they never buy a car with any rust.
If you check it over thoroughly and cut out and replace rusted portions, you'll be fine.

>G class
>good
its merc garbage. shitboxes are supposed to run forever.

>window regulator in drivers window
doesn't matter if it's a regular civic or a jacked up one, fucking EKs and those damn window regulators

>not recognizing the superior 4WD of Suzuki

>anecdotes

>"statement"
>evidence against it
>pic related
>555-come-on-now.jpg

Honda overengineers their 1st generation vehicles.
The CR-V is proof of that.

Long-dead.
Why try to revive a dead horse?

>dead horse
They're unkillable user, my dad's 87 is proof of that

I'm sure your dad has all the phone numbers on redial for the junk yards in your state and states around to find parts to keep it alive.
Prove me wrong.

The only issue he's had with the engine was the carb, he first used a rebuild kit, but decided it wasn't good enough so then he replaced the Hitachi unit with a Weber and hasn't had a problem since

Gearbox is flawless
Differentials are flawless
And he uses this thing to tow about 1000lbs of logs cut from dead trees on his property uphill and drive the trails along the side of the mountain

I first learned stick on this thing when I was 11 and i still fuck around with it when I go see my parents
Not once has he had to go to the yard for anything

Actually I just realized this is a good thread to ask in before it dies (This is for '04 CR-V):

For a while I've been noticing an oscillation-type noise (Kind of hard to describe) but basically anyone who knew anything about cars that heard it always thought it was a wheel bearing going. When my buddy and I jacked it up and spun the wheels/checked for play, there was no grinding noise or play in the bearings all around. My buddy did some research and thinks it could just be that the rear diff needs topped with fluid, could this be the case if it's not the wheel bearings? Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

I've trying to find one but all the AWD ones are autotragic FUCK

There's still way more of those Suzuki's left than 1st gen CRV's. Suzuki's are easily as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Gently park your off road vehicle on rock. Photo. Garage.

Best 4wd system on the market. Better than Audi better than Subaru

>4wd
>Transverse engine

My mom had one in green growing up. She was excited because it was the first car she ever purchased new. I put a bunch of skateboard company stickers on the back window. I partly learned to drive in it. It was the slowest car in the history of ever but the 4wd bailed me out of a few situations. She still drives CRVs to this day.

It died after being stolen by some mexican who crashed it a few blocks down the road. RIP in pieces first gen CRV. I'll always have a soft spot for you.

>Subaru meme

Its not the 90s anymore, faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68
youtube.com/watch?v=KqzTsuPiTVA

I said
>Better than Audi better than Subaru. Transfer case on CVR so underrated.

there's some kid in my town that has a lowered 1st gen crv with fat tires and black racing steelies and a turbo with the mutant turkey noise and a thule or yakima roof rack

It's far from underrated, it's a chincy and pathetic piece of shit. It isn't better than Subaru or real Quattro.

1g CRV 4wd is strong as fuck what are you talking about you literally never see one break down

you're a retard. any crv over 300hp has to have the awd drive train taken out because it is so flimsy

Older rav4 are nice. New are just too big.

It's "strong" because it weigh's nothing and makes sub 100hp. Sure it might be able to get out of a snowy driveway but that's about all you can do with those pencil driveshafts. There's a reason why you never see CRV's on the trails.

>you never see CRV's on the trails.

Neither do you see any Quattros, but perhaps only a token Subaru.

RAV4 also has bulletproof 4wd, better than Subaru maybe not Audi. WAY better than any american 4wd. Think of it this way, you never see a Rav4 stuck or broken down on the road. Lots of Jeeps tho

Does never one have 4WD instead of AWD?

yeah up until gen 3 then they did the mini thing. Now it's just an suv

nigga plz 1st gen is one of the most modded hondas out there and are extremely capable off-road

This shit needs some Eurobeat webm action

youtube.com/watch?v=X6yxhjEcqL4

I have a 2005 and it's the perfect size. New ones are too long.

You sound like a spoiled little shit tbqh