/ORG/

Off Road General

Land Cruiser Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5896914197.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Q5QmSp0Q&feature=iv&src_vid=NN-Qn_ci68Y&annotation_id=video:15d62f88-acea-45f4-b85d-1218e8f1949b
m.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2IiHruZpU&ebc=ANyPxKqSfKvgVRZ8vfMJkJn3uIGWgfhzl2e3MxBhjdJ4NV_wQo3awtjGLXf0OZHpL_XnRGTOCoG-CDcnrVogc0pACGW3uLaBNQ
rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspension/jeep-suspension-lift-kits/xj-cherokee-84-01-jeep-suspension-lift-kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html
rustysoffroad.com/jeep-exterior-parts-accessories/bushwacker-jeep-fender-flares/bushwacker-xj-cherokee-flat-style-fender-flare-set-2-4-door.html
rustysoffroad.com/jeep-bumpers/rustys-jeep-bumpers/jeep-xj-cherokee-bumpers/rusty-s-bumper-front-trail-w-upright-winch-mount-xj.html
youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Land Cruiser Edition
so the same as every edition?

>Japan
>Offroading

>'i literally know nothing' the post
wew

Nice jaguars.

nice meme

New Tacoma or new 4Runner? Would be used to get /out/ but not strictly /org/ activities

im going to post my superior american made offroading machine

Reporting in...

Fir the record, I no longer have a Yellow YJ...

Please no cases of mistaken identity this thread K?

ok

>oh you must be that Yellow YJ I see driving around my block
>drop by my house one day and we'll take the trail offroading, senpai
Michigan path when?

disgusting

what is this item?

>100% of the land for the next 70 miles is faggy agriculture shit
>nowhere to play
>be today
>raining and foggy as shit
>fog and rain is too thick to see farther than 1/4 of a mile
>can play on everyone's shitty land because the corn and cotton jews can't see me

They're both much bigger than they used to be. Generally, you can get a TRD Tacoma cheaper than a TRD 4Runner. Really, any Tacoma cheaper than a 4runner these days.

Tacos are easier to find in manual and with LSDs, or locking diffs. And the taco has slightly better approach angles off road stock.

But any built rig is better than stock, so buy an older 4Runner or Taco, and build it with the money you save. That's what I did. Mines the one on the right.

bro I live in CALIFORNIA, there is only ONE yj guy and that's me! hahaha. The only other yj guy I have EVER seen was that dude in the last thread asking about cyber Monday deals for winches.

This is called a Suburban.

is this a joke?
im seriously asking...its hard to tell on here sometimes

those green beadlocks are gag worthy
sweet truck though

user you should go

>he attempts to literally blaze trails in his trailblazer

>only other yellow yj guy is looking for a winch
Uhhhhh. About that...

planning a 3 week long trip through the southeast next march/april
so pumped
anything i cant miss? anybody got any great trails i havent heard of?

Considering buying one of these from a co-worker. is 230k bad for 1500?

not bad for a pile of garbage

>looking for a winch
I also just bought one hahaha, guess I should be more specific, he had a red yj.

sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5896914197.html

So I got in contact with the owner today, gonna go see it tomorrow.

-yellow not red yj guy

otay... so you're the old - yella why jay guy who now has a pretty rare barndoor suburban?
8/10 would camp with you in michigan

you're the yj fag in san diego and not: ""

And I'm the guy who is no longer looking for the winch since I just bought one on clearance. This thing was $300.
Happy times. . Though, the screws and all are cast aluminium alloy so I'm kinda sketched out by that. Might replace the actual connexions for something less... unfamiliar.
Also gonna invest in a winch cover.

Is there a way of putting the winch in the bed and pulling it out via back bumper instead.

Not paying 500 for a synthetic roped winch

If you paid $300 for the HF 10k you got ripped. My HF 12k was $289.

I have some 1cm thick Kevlar rope that I'll string around it but due to the Canadian soil and geology, I'm afraid of it snapping.
We discussed this in the last ORG and talked about it with the normies. Steel wire replaced every 2-4 years seems like the best course of action up here.

Oh thank God. It's 300 CAD which means after conversion, works well. Also, ALL goods have a 25% tariff just for being Canadian up here (tyres, books, life, etc).
I was more worried that this was a generic brand and I fucked up but for 5 tonne rating and considering I don't do technical trails, I'm satisfied with this purchase.

>oh that's prety blurry
>lemme enlargen the pic to see it better
>*clicks on pic*
i'm fucking dying

>i'm afraid of it snapping
should be: "I'm afraid of it abrading and scratching"

>25% tariff
should be "50-600% tariff

sage me, baby

Am I a faggot if I want to put a 4bt cummins turbo diesel in literally anything that is a 4x4?

Yes. In larger 4x4s a 6BT would be more viable.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Y_Q5QmSp0Q&feature=iv&src_vid=NN-Qn_ci68Y&annotation_id=video:15d62f88-acea-45f4-b85d-1218e8f1949b

>Breaking a rusty Toyota Pickup Truck frame with a hammer

I fucking kek'd

delet this

So I'm about to spend about 10k on a clean LC would 15k in offroad mods make it unstoppable?

I think 15k is too much, you really don't need much. front, back and side armor, a lift, tires, and a winch. 8k maybe.

I want a RTT and the ones I saw were 1k-3k and I'm sure the snorkels are expensive. Will probably do an engine rebuild to start from scratch.

>I don't do technical trails
You're on /ORG/ bro and I see you spending a few grand in these threads for offroading. Do you really expect to resist the sweet call of rock climbing a year down the line?

Paying a premium for a LC over a cheaper 4x4 is pointless if you plan on putting $15k into it.

It'll never be unstoppable because building it for one purpose will sacrifice it's utility for another purpose.

For an expedition vehicle weight isn't a huge issue but you're going to want a ton of space meaning a larger vehicle and likely a more universal tire that works well enough for most purposes but doesn't do any one particular thing better than the competition. You'll likely want to stay fairly low to minimize rollover risk and losses in fuel economy. Think F350 with a slide in camper, or Suburban, Excursion, etc. with very small lift and All Terrains.

For a mud truck it's going to be about lift, tires, axles, and power. The bigger the better as far as suspension goes. You need not worry about interior space to sleep or store food, water, or extra fuel.

For a desert truck you don't even need 4x4. Long travel, low weight, and plenty of damping with tires that aren't too aggressive because you don't want to dig down too far.

Build any of these trucks to be unstoppable for their specific purpose and they will suck if you try to use them for a different purpose.

Here in Arkansas it's about mud and river crossings, I wanted something I could attach a tent to or if need be sleep in the back. I'll be using it to travel for 3-6 months overlanding.

Nice Alahu my Ackbar. You got all the sandnigger terrorists jelly af.

Unless you're a 5'2" manlet you're going to have trouble sleeping comfortably in the back of an LC.

If you've even considering sleeping in the back I'd just go ahead cross the smaller SUVs off the list. Suburban/Excursion will give you room to sleep with a little extra, or you could look at pickups and get a cap or slide in camper. Assuming you don't need the back seat for people, an extended cab may be advantageous just for the extra interior storage.

If you're looking at GM platforms, it would be better to avoid the 6.5l diesel but if you do get one then relocate the PMD. For Ford I'd avoid the 6.0l diesel because IMO it's just not worth bulletproofing when there's so many other options out there that don't need extensive work to be reliable.

For mud, river crossings, and overlanding, you may want to go a bit taller than the average overlanding vehicle but not as tall as the average mud truck. It obviously depends on how much of each you do but I'd expect 3-6" of lift depending on platform to be a good balance.

what percent tint, faggot?

someone say off road?

Barn door burbs are rare? I never knew this! As far as camping goes, best we wait till spring when the hunters leave and the weather is nice. Sleeping in the cold is a bitch and I don't want to run the truck all night.

Depends on the motor. The 5.3 Vortec had an oil issue. The old 350s were practically bulletproof. Haven't had much experience with the 454s but I hear they're thirsty pigs. The 6.5 diesels are an acquired taste, but they have a plethora of nightmares with their computer controller systems. I personally wouldn't shy away from it purely on mileage, but I'd be as careful as I would with anything with those miles.

EVERY TIME I SEE YOUR TRUCK I AM REMINDED I WANT THESE HANDLES BUT I KEEP FORGETTING WHAT THEY ARE! Topkick handles if IIRC right?

The truck on the left... donor truck?

Your Jeep is rusting in the same place on the front fender as my old one. You are making me miss it.

I also want to climb on rocks but I'm doing an overland build. One day I will break down and get another YJ. I sense it... That shall be my rock project when it happens.

I concur! As a 6.5 owner though, I wouldn't shy away from them. While I agree the Injector pump and related sensors/controllers suck, and you won't get the performance of a newer Cummins/Powerstroke/Duramax they are pretty effecient! I am able to get 20MPG with a 4.10 rear end and MT tires!

Is this yours? Specs? I have a buddy of mine with one of these but he's too Chicken to trail it :-(

>no low range

Buying a 383 stroker '70 c10 (2wd) to do some desert hooning in. Sound good?

Feelsbadman

here's more pics for your nostalgia.

Yep. Topkick/Kodiak handles. You can get four new handles for ~$100 on Rockauto but the rods you need are out of production and getting hard to find. I'd keep an eye out for C3500HDs at local yards to loot the rods from.

The one on the left is my roommate's 97 k1500 SLT Suburban. He's got my old Dana 50 and SF 14 bolt he's going to throw under it with dually hubs and run stock the stock H1 24 bolts that my spare set of Bajas is coming off of.

Newer younger thread so I thought I'd ask.

Tundra fag from the last threat. Since I'm bouncing between a Taco and a Tundra, if I go the Taco route, would it be beneficial to go for the TRD Pro package or get the TRD Offroad package and just mod it to where I want?

It would be beneficial to not buy a 1/2 ton or lighter truck if you plan on using it like a truck.

When I was a kid my parents' first new car was a '93 Suburban with Barn Doors and that massive fuel tank. Good times.

SD Tacoma checking in.
Where's that picture taken? Looks like a neat spot

DELET

What engine? If you have the 2.5 DOHC and a manual gearbox you can stay.

>Am I a faggot if I want to put a 4bt cummins turbo diesel in literally anything that is a 4x4?
I don't think so

Since you mention it i knew a guy on TacomaWorld who swapped a 16BT into his 1st gen. The thing kicked ass but now he wants to sell it

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2IiHruZpU&ebc=ANyPxKqSfKvgVRZ8vfMJkJn3uIGWgfhzl2e3MxBhjdJ4NV_wQo3awtjGLXf0OZHpL_XnRGTOCoG-CDcnrVogc0pACGW3uLaBNQ

*6BT not 16BT Jesus fuck

Yes and no. Maybe I'll actually buy the TJs that I want but my friend just recently said he found a 69 Camaro and due to le stereotype, I might save up the nine grand for that instead. I'll be a walking country song stereotype!
>m u h t r u c c
>n a s c a r

Yeah. I had to triple check that it wasn't just a Silberado with a cap. If you hold onto it for a while, the barndoors can increase like 2000 or so dollars on the resale value. I've never seen one online or real life(though I don't look for them, to be fair)
Where are you located, bae?

[spoiler] bae is the suburban[/spoiler]

>DROP EVERYTHING NOW
>MEET ME IN THE POURING RAIN
Holy fuck. Both those vehicles together. Best rig I've seen on these threads hands down.

Fucking beautiful, my dude

>FJ79's will never be made and sold in the US
fucking angry still

Alright, I've made a list of stuff to get for the XJ Cherokee I'm saving up for and want to know if there's anything I should change or consider
>Rusty's XJ 3" Spring Pack Lift Kit
rustysoffroad.com/jeep-suspension/jeep-suspension-lift-kits/xj-cherokee-84-01-jeep-suspension-lift-kits/rustys-xj-cherokee-3-spring-pack-kit.html
>Bushwacker Flat Style Fender Flares
rustysoffroad.com/jeep-exterior-parts-accessories/bushwacker-jeep-fender-flares/bushwacker-xj-cherokee-flat-style-fender-flare-set-2-4-door.html
>Rusty's Bumper
rustysoffroad.com/jeep-bumpers/rustys-jeep-bumpers/jeep-xj-cherokee-bumpers/rusty-s-bumper-front-trail-w-upright-winch-mount-xj.html

As for tires, I'm looking at Duratracs, but I'm open to looking at different tires.

Any more rust? I had to weld in all new sheetmetal to the tub on mine because there was a rust hole big enough for me to Fred Flinstone the thing.

Time to keep a lookout for these rods. That sucks they're becoming rare. Looking forward to seeing your roomie's project when its done!

Filling up these tanks sucks though haha. My first burb had a 40 gallon tank. This one has 30. Shits expensive.

Good to hear it's rare I guess? This setup is probably the rarest of the rare
4x4
3/4 ton
6.5 turbo diesel
Barn doors

Still so strange they are rare haha. All my Burbs I've ever owned have been barn doors. But then again I've only had 3 so...

Where am I? I'm over in Michigan. Grand Rapids to be exact. Living in the city sucks off road wise but I get by. Theres a few local places to go if you know where to look, but up North in the forest or the sand dunes is where it's at.

the overland looks way better

dont post that 3rd world truckbed here, son

How's hunting? If it's good, I'll b sure to pen it down for next Autumn.

We're YOU the one I was supposed to trail with near Windsor (with[out] the YJ, right?!)? Whitetail in winter, tho? If so, that'll justify the 8hr drive and $120 in fuel.

Also, regarding offroad areas, I guess I'm still young so I like to spin dirt on back roads or construction sites when I get a chance.
Here's a pic tonight I took 4 the memes. It's offroad but you're gonna have to belieb me - she was in PJs so couldn't leave.
We also played hide and seek with my valance when I did the on-road check and discovered half my bumper was missing.

Yeah they ended up selling the BlueBurb for a 5th gen Maxima which was quick but handled like shit.

The Suburban was the first car I've ever driven since my parents let me steer while I sat on their lap driving on the backroads where I grew up

Lots of memories in that old SUV. Good shit.

>24/7 non-stop coverage of taytay
what the fuck is wrong with you

10 or 15 percent, not sure desu senpai

hEY7 TSWIFT YOU HAVE ANY NUDES?

saving my image is okay but my filename is not

n-n-n-no...

Nice repeating digits.
The tayposter is evolving.

Hunting is good here. Finding someone with private land is highly recommended as state land can be too crowded, especially down south. Haven't been in years though, too busy with work and life and the sort.

I know what you mean about dirt roads and construction sites. That's mostly how I get by. That and there's a few short trails, abandoned rail right of ways, and power line trails.

Id be down for a Windsor trip, as I'm (not a YJ). How is the terrain over there?

My first burb was Blue too! I actually see it on the road from time to time. It's been sold about five times since, but it's still running haha. Pic related, this is my old Blue Burb

Margarita trail, on an abandon helipad east side of camp Pendleton California.
>image of trail location on maps btw.

dear god that thing is worth a lot of money. One of my dream vehicles.

Can't imagine all the drive train upgrades a cummins swap would take though, you would just rip up stock toyota axles and dana 30/35's

Here's and larger scope of the area, but i'm sure you live no where near it.

those are rock rings, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

Barn door Suburbans aren't even rare.

He ended up putting the entire drivetrain from the donor truck into it, so it's basically a Tacoma body on top of a Ram Super Duty drivetrain

Took a Google and some weird forums say it was DC'd in 2007 as an optional trim so they're not rare.
I've never seen one either.

They're everywhere.

I have plans for my '93 Dakota with next to nothing for aftermarket support, but I have no money. :(

Words cannot describe how much I want a modern 70-series

yeah, those 3rd world toyato engines are amazing. they can run for 300,00km in the harsh desert winds without the oil ever being changed in its life. really glad this 3rd world reliability has made its way down under, where tasteful australians do not purchase the truck bed option which is typically used in china to haul garbage. but instead they purchase the overland/suv version which looks much nicer. i could never picture a filipino driving one of those

Welp. Coloured me cucked.
I never see old Suburbans here in Ontario what with the road salt in the first place. Probably heard it from a normie and relayed it to /ORG/. Sorry guise.

>not editting out "memecenter.com"
>being from norwegian
>not going on "memecentre.com"

Hey at least you don't live in Canada where the Land Cruisers are just "luxury SUVs" that look like modern Jeeps "luxers". Muh North American marKKKets.

>get excited due to oz's selections
>looking at options for canadian toyota oberlanders
>see the 79
>get excited
>hopes immediately smashed
THEN WHY ADVERTISE IT.
REE
E
E

Anterlerless hunt: December 18 - Jan 1
Regular firearm hunt: Nov. 15-30th.
I'M COMING DOWN TODAY AND WE'RE BAGGING US A WHYTETAIL.

Doesn't seem ueber freedom like some states have it. I could go and hunt coyotes, wolves and other weird birds who stayed for winter but I can also do that here )^:

Mebe Windsor. I don't know any actual trails that south but can ask the normies. Or I'll actually go and buy the offroad trail maps they have for 20 shekels at the trucc stops.

Terrain is less field and more mud. The spotty aquifers (what with the great lakes and everything) keep the dirt muddy until it freezes over in January. I've never gone so far south past London but that's what I imagine it to be.

Once it freezes over, the mud turns into ice so that could work out to our long-vehicular advantage.

Efficacy of them?

Desert winds are harsh on people, they do fuck all to vehicles with air filters.

Yellow yj guy here, just got my winch in, too bad I don't have enough time to install right now.

Not a warn m8000

shut your gob mate

Are you me? What model? How much? What's the hook made of? I also got in a package of wheel rollies and a tree hugger.

Is that synthetic rope or just a cover that hides the steel?

Why does Veeky Forums hate the current gen Jeep Wrangler?