What the hell is the deal with some 80s cars getting expensive?

What the hell is the deal with some 80s cars getting expensive?
I have wanted one of these things for years but now that I have extra time and money, the price has gone crazy?
Are 80s vehicles fucking collectors items now?
What other cars have gone up in value and when did this trend start?

the fuck do you want one for?
even the eurovan (vw realta) campers had a nicer interior.

its been 40 years dude you'll be luck to find something thats not rotting

Vanagons are prized by enthusiasts, especially syncros and westies. That's why they're so expensive.

I'm not sure how many they sold in the US to begin with, either. Pickup variants in particular are super rare.

80's are the 60's of 20 years ago.

I don't think any of the EuroVans had off-road capability comparable to a Vanagon syncro.

Not really fair to compare to a Rialta, either, since those were fuller RV conversions. EuroVans were available with a pop-up Westfalia-style camper too, equipped by Winnebago I think.

Fuck the vws, seriously way too overpriced. Look into the old Toyota vans, 2l motor (jdm has diesel) 4wd and sometimes a camper on top, they're reliable and look just as good as the vws, not only that but you can find ones in okay condition for under $2000, however people normally don't want to sell there's and they can be a little hard to find( esp without rust)

1984-1989

Not many people know Toyota made these either it seems, I test drove one a while ago. It was Toyota shit but still drove smoothly, steered like a dream and you could see everything so well ( sit up high with big windows)

>I have wanted one of these things for years but now that I have extra time and money, the price has gone crazy

You've answered your own question. You and your peers have enough money to buy your childhood heroes, thus their market value increase.

>tfw FB RX7s will probably cost as much as FDs do now by the time I can afford to build one up
>Tfw black/blackish green sleeper FB never
I really hope they continue to fly under the radar

Having been in several of each, I have to say that the vanagons are waaaaay cooler.
Its like a swiss army knife, Shit is flipping and folding out of all sorts of hidden places.
No other interior is as cool as a westfalias.

the pickups are turbo shit

i can see the appeal of the vans for camp value but why would anyone want a pickup with a moped engine with everything else that's out there?

>What the hell is the deal with some 80s cars getting expensive?
iktf

>tfw all the 60 series land cruisers in non rustbucket condition cost 3 arms and 5 legs

Being a faggot weirdo VW nerd is totally in these days. I blame marijuana. Camping is really cool with the same crowd. BAM ricer taxed to shit.

I have a 1980 Toyota with a solid trusty engine that starts first try every time , and body and paint in good condition. How much could I get for it? 4k maybe?

Toyota pickup

I feel you op. 80s C10s were dirt cheap for fucking ever, and the moment I get some disposable income now that I graduated college, they're skyrocketing up in value..... fuuuuck.

What's wrong with camping?

Yes! I love these Toyotas so much. More reliable, much cheaper, and not as clichè as mah vw hippie van. Better mpgs than fords or Chevys and still old enough to be cool. Perfect van imo

I talked a friend into getting one. The madman pays $600 for one with a bad tranny then drove it 6hrs home going under 50 lol. We got the tranny ready to pull but both have never done anything that major. If anybody has any tips that'd be nice.

Get the repair manual and go tp town
That thing has a weird forklift motor and not a normal 22r

Yeah true I was hoping it'd have the 22r in it. I've checked all the used bookstores for a Haynes or Bently with no luck. Everything's disconnected but the starter as of now. He's going to try and rebuild the trans himself. Neither of us know a thing about that.

This will never happen due to the sheer number of fb vs fd. I do forsee the gtx getting that expensive though.

Also if your into vans check out the van life threads. We are slowly turning it into a general.