Universal Technical Institute?

I hear very mixed reviews on it. Family drama made college impossible to afford at my previous university of attendance, and credits aren't transferring, so I'd essentially need to start over and take out loans. I've got friends that graduated from pic related and make a decent living.

I'm looking at the 75 week course + Mercedes Apprenticeship (Porsche isn't available at my location).

Though for my successful friend, I have one that does decently as a mechanic without any official training and one that dropped out of UTI and can only change tires + oil. I don't mind busting ass, but I also don't know how you boost your resume in the automotive trades/if it's networking like college is.

Don't ever, no matter what you do, go to a for-profit """school."""

Depending on what you were majoring in university, say stem, accounting, or something else with a high probably of good employment after graduation, I'd advise you to save your money and finish your degree. If not, consider enrolling community college.

Engineering was the degree. It's tempting, admittedly, seeing people making actual salaries from this, though; I can't snag a job above min. wage and get reprimanded for working to much when I have one (warned for overtime) and am on indefinite suspension at my current job because someone (falsely) reported I made racist remarks when I offhandedly mentioned voting for Trump OFF THE CLOCK a month back.

If that's really all that happened you can at the very least fight that suspension and probably even sue the company.

DO NOT go to UTI. It's ridiculously expensive.

> UTI
> tech institutes
> ever

I knew someone who went to wyotech after high school. You know what he did after? He signed up for the Marines and is now bragging about it while bitching about not going home to see his family.

If you want to wrench cars for education, go to a community college.

>credits aren't transferring
credits from uti wont transfer either
its a horrible idea
goto a community college for auto instruction, hire in at a dealer, said dealer will provide specialty instruction

>If you want to wrench cars for education, go to a community college.

This, we had a few UTI/wyotech grads apply at the dealership I used to work at, they were all retarded.

>indefinite suspension at my current job because someone (falsely) reported I made racist remarks when I offhandedly mentioned voting for Trump

It's the same here. The liberals are asshurt. SO they try to report everyone that voted for Trump whenever they can. They support each other here because there is no way to defend when two of them both say that you made a racist remark. That's false, but they get their stories to match. Basically, at my job, the liberals are on a warpath to get everyone fired if they voted for trump. Intolerance at its best.

Now that DeVry literally was shut down as fraudulent I guess there needs to be some company to take idiots' money

Noschool tech here

Fuck school read manuals

Gotcha. CC seems to be the way.

That's also fine.

The person that filed the report said she'd get "news media" to cover the story if they didn't oblige her demands so corporate has bent over (Company's just coming off one lawsuit for something else and doesn't want any more drama). I've been suspended pending "investigation" for like three weeks now.

>retarded

not a very nice way to call a rookie

i went to lincoln tech and only did mechanic for 5yrs before i quit my job and never did mechanics again. its a very greedy feild and its shit. it doesnt pay. starting off as a rookie is hard. you get paid shit and have to buy very expensive tools. weekend warrior tools need no apply.

i work as a porter in a conbo now. it pays better and a chill job

I see. I'm trying to get into an "adult" job to to speak to move out.

what does a porter in a conbo do? i've never heard of such a job before

its house keeping. things i do usually are:
>take out garbage
>clean the lobby
>watch the door (when doorman is on break)
>vacuum hallway carpets
>sweep and mop the stair case
>clean the laundry room
>clean out empty apartments when someone moves out
>help out the handy man with random repairs
>place garbage on curbside for sanitation

to get a job like this you pretty much have to get pulled in. its such a chill job nobody leaves them until they retire (unless they get fired or quit). i''m just a temp worker. i move around all the propertys the company owns until i can get a steady spot so i can become a permanant worker. this job gets people lazy. all the guys you have worked in the same place for a while get lazy with the job and its hard to fire them because of the union.

i get lazy sometimes too but i do my job so my work speaks for its self.
i dont want to discourage you but if you want to do it go for it. my experience was shit at the dealership i worked at (i worked for mercedes). maybe yours will be different but some of the things i mentioned are true like its hard for a rookie to start off with shit pay and having to buy expensive tools while trying jiggle your money for other bills too. its good to know about auto repair, thats a skill under your belt. best of luck with your choice

Did you try talking to your dean to get more finaid?

Just finish your engineering degree

If you're thinking about getting a loan for this really expensive for profit school, wouldn't it make more sense to get a smaller loan at an accredited school?

Yes, but he couldn't help me last time/hasn't responded this time. I'll try to keep in communication, though.
AFAIK I can earn a bit more job-wise/interning at OP pic related and it'd ultimately be cheaper than finishing my uni degree unless I can get more finaid (parent's make too much to get much from FAFSA but also don't pay any of my school expenses, but FAFSA treats you as if they do anyway). Parents stole identity and put a negative mark on my credit score so I haven't been able to get approved for more third party loans for school.

You might still be able to get financial aid even if your parents make a lot, talk a counselor at your school and explain your situation to them. How much is your tuition a semester?

I used to live near the Wyotech campus in Laramie. None of the landlords in town would rent to their students since they were such scum. The "school" had to build its own student housing.

Complete waste of time and money. The skills you learn you are going to pick up in a matter of months in the field anyway. Go to community college tech classes and get an entry level job at a shop to see if you like the environment.

IIRC it was like $4k a semester but I no longer get in-state tuition if I continued at my old uni so it'd be $10k a semester now.

Most states offer instate tuition if you graduated high school in that state. If not your credits will transfer to an actual accredited school.

I didn't. I'd gotten OOS waved under a different admissions dean than the current one, and lost it once my attendance lapsed.

>join army
>free training as diesel mechanic
>fix diesel vehicles for 4 years
>get out and use GI Bill to finish college or go to automotive school or whatever and claim you have 4 years of mechanic experience already from da army
>profit off people's blind patriotism

Alternatively
>join army as reservist
>go to diesel mech school
>come back and find aby job while going to school
>utilize a blend of army financial aide, fafsa, your "real job", and if need be loans to finance schooling
>be an army diesel mechanic for 4 days a month and pursue your actual education and career the rest of the time

This way you could go to army mechanics course for free and then try out being a professional wrench Turner before sinking a whole bunch of cash into it. Best part is they provide the tools and facilities too

Got suckered by the slick adverts and thought that it must be a reputable school, etc. etc.

I left after I completed my second course.

Classmates were mostly retards and/or directionless guys in their 20s.

Go to a community college, or just get a job at a jiffy lube, or doing menial shit at a dealership and see if you really want to do that for a living.

By the end, you'll be something like $40K in the hole and have a piece of paper even more worthless than a BA in Kalahari Basketweaving Studies.

ITT tech for cars. Don't do it

I've been giving military more thought as of late.
Gotcha. Well shit, I'll find something, I suppose.

The downside though is you sign a contract in the military man, you can't just up and quit. Tee bee ayche I've been in 3 and a half years working on thermal optics and have given serious thought to reenlisting as a mechanic because I like wrenching and would like more experience without having to pay for it or buy tools. However, I don't wanna deal with the bullshit another 4 years. The reservist path is what I'm thinking of doing while finishing my last year on my BA

Yeah, that's my concern. Not the responsibility itself, but figuring out to what extent my soul is owned by the gov't if I sign up. That, and there's not exactly any bargaining going on, so it's take the whole contract or nothing.

Oh shit ITT tech got destroyed, I forgot. what happened to the graduates?

The degrees were never real in the first place, I think people had their loans forgiven and the tax payer footed the bill. Whoever ran that company made out like a bandit.

That sucks. ITT was around for a while, so I can only imagine people that paid off their loans got jack shit.

Not him, but I paid 11k/semester at 11% interest in private loans to finish my BS in ChemE because I only got 1500 in federal loans per semester. Owed like 60k but it was worth it. You should consider private loans but only if this degree is something you can actually finish, otherwise you're fucked.