Need Veeky Forums's opinion

I get out of basic in 2 months, so I'll want to buy a car. This is what I'm currently considering and I have a feeling it'll be there when I get out.

1966 el camino

THE GOOD
>rebuilt 383 stroker (7k miles)
>700r4 Trans with unknown rear gears
>recent paint job
>new rims and tires
>sound system
>4 wheel power disk brakes
Started up instantly and sounded good, no leaks.

THE BAD
>2-3 paint chips with a little rust (only rust I saw)
>stain on seat
>cut up the dash to put in a shit touch screen
>paint wasn't perfect, had some scratches and all
>dent in tail gate
>fuel filter leaked on the engine, stopped when hand tightneed.

Cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5894861996.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Noy buying the superior ranchero

They want 13k for it and they seemed like they didn't want to go down on the price (supposedly it started at 20k), but that was in August. If it's still there in February, that'll be at least 6 months. What would Veeky Forums pay?

Yes, I'd be financing some of it. Ill have 5-7k to put down on it, and my FCU will do a 36 month loan (6k will be about 150 a month) or I can finance through the dealer for a longer time at a higher interest, and pay it off early when I have the extra cash.

I plan on it being my dialy, so any idea on mpg or what rear gear would be best for mpg?

>inb4 keks get a 3k civic meme
I can wrench
I'll be living on a base, so at worst, I won't be missing my job.
I'm young with few bills, so financing is ok. I'd like to keep the monthly payments as low as possible though.

Only looking into buying a new vehicle cause my 04 silverado may or may not be on its last leg. Tranny is fuck you at times, it's been wrecked (tboned, so now cab is misaligned), it gets 13mpg and is slow as shit. The only upside to it is its the devil I know.

If the El camino is gone and I can't find a similar vehicle, I may just fix the truck (which I really don't want to) and just by a motorcycle.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with the bed floor? Did they come in pieces like this or was it cut and replaced?

Don't. Carbed cars especially don't like to sit. You'll need your cash for living expenses and moving. it's irresponsible. A classic car is a toy and you shouldn't finance toys. Just keep your current car get a ranger with your down payment.

Not many around unless you want the uglier late 70s models

I've had carbed bikes before, so a carb isn't an issue to me.

When all billset are paid (including max I'm willing to pay for auto) I'll still have 1k a month of disposable income.

I really want to avoid modern cars due to all the nanny programs and plastics. That's what's been going wrong on my truck for years. I like to keep everything mechanical.

I should mention that I'll be an e3 in the coast guard, so I'll have more $ than your average 1st time enlisted. Plus no real deployments. With in 1-2 years I should be an e-5, and when I get out after year 4, I'll be getting a job that's relevant to my degree (cg is pretty much just experience) that pays 6 figures. So long term, I won't be poor; just those 1st few years.

And my biggest expenses after bills will be gas, food (if I choose not to eat on base), and Netflix.

As I can infer by your replies, you're really just trying to justify why you want it. In the end of the day, a 60 car is just not realiable for Daily Driving and you know it. Just go for it, because you really want it. Because, as far as reliability goes, it's not a sound idea. Specially for that price. said, a classic car is a toy, not a tool.

I figured do it now while I'm still young and able.

What would you pay for it?

It's still imaginary money right now. shit could happen. if you can't fix your current car you'll get tired of fixing an old car with totally different problems.

It's not that I can't fix my current cat, it's more of "why put in the money into something I'm getting rid of" along with the fact that no matter how much I fix it, it'lol only be worth 500 due to the wreck.

Bumping for other opinions

Bumping

Buy a Shitswagen Golf in diesel instead.

It seems like a good car as classics go. Buy yourself a spare carb just in case. High ratio rear end for better MPGs but it'll never, ever be "good" think 17. You don't drive a car like this for economy. Boomer tax is starting to peter out and the car is overpriced for not being pristine. I would expect to be able to find something similar in dependable condition for the $7k cash you're going to have outright. Don't budget all your disposable income because gas and parts are going to take a bite.

>I get out of basic in 2 months
Just get a corolla until you figure life out

>no THE UGLY
fuck you op

>wants to buy classic car
>Worried about mpgs

Just no. If you can't deal with low teens a classic car with a v8 is not for you. Otherwise it seems like an alright purchase, not the best but what do you expect from a dealer. Here's a local one for $10k

seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5894861996.html

That's a nice one, but pretty far away.
I'm not so much worried about mpgs, just trying to find out what I should expect.

Why would I do that

If you read any of the previous post, I have my life pretty much figured out.

10-13mpg. Depends how hot the engine is built. You could do a fuel injection system later on and it allows you to tune it with a computer, high teens would've achievable with that system. For a rear end it's kinda debatable what to get. Some argue a short gear like 4.10 actually helps city milage since the car moves with less effort but of course highway milage is bye bye. I'd say 3.55 or 3.73 rear end would be great for a daily and isn't too shabby at the drag strip.

yeah, no, you don't

it's like Jesus kissed you right on the asshole and laid out a golden road for you

why not just buy a brand new $60k truck then?

you'll have the money...guaranteed.

Because I'm not putting myself into major debt. This is only costing me 6k in financing.

Honestly, I could care less about performance and just want something for the highway. Would 3.08 or 2.73 be way too low for a 700r4?

What's the point of buying an elcamino with a stroked 383 then?

this whole thread reeks of green

but ah, the best laid plans of mice and men....good luck Lennie

I would prefer a 350 and a Monte carlo, but that's what is available

GM cars grow on trees. Get your dream car.

why is the fuel filter even worth mentioning.
if you are buying a car like this, mpg is the last thing that should cross your mind, although i would guess it would get 12 to 15 if properly tuned.

i love elcos but i dont think that price is justified. if you had 13k to put into a car, you could get a lot more.
as far as rear gears go, i would assume that 383 stroker has a hot cam and plrenty of carb. also, find out what gears it currently has (it probably doesnt have stock gearing). a big carb and a lumpy cam will run like a dog with a stock converter and freeway gears.

I'm going to state what everyone else has said, don't. It's going to work out like dating a stripper; expensive and the glamor will wear off fast. Financing a project is always dumb.

If you're serious, mileage won't be great. If you want to fuck around at lights and at the drag, probably 3.54 or 3.73. If you want the best fuel mileage, 2.73 if you can get it in whatever rear end it has, or next numerically higher (3.28 maybe?). The 700r4 has a deep overdrive, but a 383 should have enough toque to turn that on the highway, depending on how it was built. I'd guess you'd probably see 18 ish with a feather foot and 2.73's, and about 13 with 3.54 and a lead foot. Beware a stock 700R4 behind a built 383; it may break it. Run an external tranny cooler with that transmission.

13k seems fair if the work is good to excellent. Otherwise I wouldn't even put an offer out on it.

The cutout in the bed, I believe, is to access the fuel tank. Not 100%, but if memory serves right the El Camino came from the factory like that since you couldn't remove the bed like a typical pickup.

If you're in basic, why do you have your phone, or general access to the internet?