Looking at buying a Fiero GT

Looking at buying a Fiero GT

What should I look out for when buying ome? What's the max amount of miles I should buy one at? Guess I'm asking for a general buyer's guide to Fieros

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cRoJ3VIHm5U
youtube.com/watch?v=cCyGSpJCOKI
fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070670.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Look for a very cheap Ferrari. Scratch that. Any Ferrari. Chances are it's probably a Fierro with a body kit.

most morons are going to tell you to look at MR2's instead. Just ignore them. The Fiero is more forgiving to drive, has a much larger aftermarket, is easier to find parts for, easier to work on since all the body panels detach and is just easier to find period. They made neat 400,000 Fiero's from 1984-1988. When you compare that to the MR2's WORLDWIDE production numbers throughout it's entire 1984-2005 lifespan (around 330,000), it's easy to see why the Fiero's are so much easier to find.

As to Fiero's remember they were constantly being changed throughout production. The best models to go for are later models, particularly 1987 or 1988. 1988 models had bespoke suspension not interchangeable with any other Fiero, so 1988 Fiero suspension is 1988 specific. 1987 cars can use 1984-1987 parts though which makes them easier to care for, even though the 88's handled better.

Just make sure the car was well taken car of. With regular maintenance, those GT 2.8L V6's were fairly bulletproof. And they share architecture with many of GM's later pushrod V6's (but not the 3800), so swaps to 3.1L, 3.4L or even 3.5L are common and fairly simple. The most common swap is the DOHC 3.4L from 1991-1997 since it just drops into place and makes over 200 HP

>GM's later pushrod V6's

hope he likes doing gaskets

meh. change them to aftermarket felpro redesigned gaskets and the problems don't return.

Is an engine swap to a DOHC 3.4L advisable? Does it impact handling very much?

stock 2.8 is 348 lbs
3.4 DOHC is 465

it is a heavier engine, but according to Fiero fans, it doesn't affect it much. The great thing about that engine is the way it screams. This was one of those early DOHC American V6's (in fact the first one) so it tended to scream to the 7k redline, which was beyond impressive back then.
youtube.com/watch?v=cRoJ3VIHm5U
youtube.com/watch?v=cCyGSpJCOKI

Ok guys, how viable would a 2ZJ swap into a fiero be?

>inline 6
>traverse engine

Problem?

You'll find those vents in the hood are actually functional/needed as the design causes the front end to lift at speed.

I was looking for dimensions of the si6, the 2jz is about 31" long.

How do these things rank at togue/twisty driving? Being a midengine I would assume it handles nicely

It's done with the Jetta and Golf VR6 and a few volvos just fine

But yeah the dimensions might be fucked, could be as long as the car is wide kek.

VR6 is far from a traditional I6, and the reason for its existence was to make a 6cylinder engine that took up the same space as a I4, try again

Still didn't stop volvo from doing it

Different scenario, also the platform the transverse i6 is in is much larger than any platform that the VR6 was intended for
Nice apples to oranges comparison ya got there user

the volvo short inline 6 is much shorter than a 2jz and most other inline 6s.

So yes you could put a specially designed inline 6 in a transverse layout, but a traditional inline 6 is going to be quite a task.

>will this shit meme motor fit
no. It's too long. Besides. Why would you when LS V8's are known to fit with little modification.

bump

>poor mans MR2

literally why

Found Jeremy Clarkson.

Well I spent the last 10 minutes of my life typing out the pros and cons of my 88 GT that my grandpa gave me, but the chrome decided it had enough so

tldr

>88 Fiero
>sport
nice

Everything will break

You will survive a crash (I did)

engine cradles rot on any that have seen winter and obv the 88 superior to any other year unmodified, but are harder to find and more expensive.

literally one of the best looking car around period, which is anazing considering not many cars that came from the 80s left being called good looking that being said the interior was one the 80s could keep. It is fuctional but dated.

Also be prepared to get used to shfting funny since the gas tank is in the "transmission tunnel" raising the shift a bit high for most. Its not bad its just ackward the first time you hop into one.

Anyway I'm going out for a drive in mine now that I'm thinking about it!

why would you want a v8 when a 3800sc makes more sense... and bolts up directing to the getrag 5 speed avaliable on the 86+ v6s

they handle quite well but could use a bit more weight up front imo. They like some mid engine cars tend to over steer, in certain situations.

and is still a terrible engine design that can't do shit without boost, and isn't all that impressive with boost.

LS is better. And an LS4 (and only the LS4) bolts right up to that same 5 speed.

>that being said the interior was one the 80s could keep. It is fuctional but dated.
You can change that.
>Fiero aftermarket support to the rescue!
Don't worry, there are matching door panel replacements too.

fun fact: The vents in this kit come from a Pontiac G6

fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070670.html

I know right truely terrible.. and also I would add cheap since more were made than ls4 which is much lower production... do go on though

the only thing the ls4 has going for it is that is does weight less than the 3800 if I am not mistaken

fuck you because now I want to buy a car made by VAG
>vr6 passat are rare as fuck

>do go on though
ok.
>90* V angle, requiring a balance shaft
>iron block and iron heads
>cylinder heads of the performance supercharged version are outflowed by a 3.1L 3100
>shit firing order
>due to the shit firing order, the engine ALWAYS sound like shit
>has a shit powerband
>can't rev worth a shit

It might as well be a diesel.

I don't know why you two retards are fighting over shitty engines when the LDH is obviously the best swap

wtf is an LDH? google tells me nothing

imaginary engines do seem to be the easiest swaps

Calm down faggots, meant the LHU second gen Ecotec turbo's

that's better. That swap I can agree with.