Most powerful NA 4cyl?

>F20C

Not just looking for peak power, but a good mix of peak power and area-under-curve/power band/torque. Which 4cyl NA is best?

Is it pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HZx73zApUkQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

iron duke

because it'll keep going 700,000 miles after the other faggots blew their engines up

That's not an offy 4 banger.

Pontiac SD4 sang to the tune of some 400hp- But shit's rare as fuck yo.

Cosworth yb with the turbo removed?
Cosworth bda?
The beams is nice but really the f20c is a better engine.
Bmw s14 maybe?
Pretty much pick anything that was used in motorsport op.

the biggest one around.
i.e a porsche 3.0 will make the same peak as a F20c but have a shitload more area under the curve

F22C is your best bet, better then the F20c and can be upped to 9k readline

The f22 was made for fat americans with sub-optimal fuel who were afraid of anything that revved mildly high cuz muh v8.
Even the f20 you guys got was a de-tuned donkey show.

What

I'm a degenerate Toyota fag and know damn well you get better power out of the Honda 4 bangers. BEAMS is superior driving experience

Sorry mate to trigger ya, but I have a itb f20c in my S.

All I'm saying is there is no replacement for displacement, also probably shouldn't assume I'm a Americunt

You seriously don't know about the Offenhauser 4 cyl?

>there is no replacement for displacement
100% true, only low test betas disagree

I came in here to mention the porsche 3l 4banger from the 968

Alfa Twincam
Mercedes M111
Opel 20XE

Yep agreed.
F2xC can also easily be upped to 2.4 with only a 106mm crank change, so its probably the best bang for buck, compared to other 4bangers (maybe except for the K24, on occasion)

450hp. Easy to make compression when you have a mono block design. Was winning at Indy from the 30s to the 70s

>no replacement for displacement!
>amerilard "engineers" can't figure out how to get it to rev past 5k without exploding

>undersquare engines

This, It's a sports car not a truck.

It's like you've never heard of forced induction.

Also why put throttle bodies on an f20, you probably paid 4k+ for the bodies, ecu, cams etc for about 10 hp, You're either retarded or a bullshit artist.

It's like there's not such a thing as a supercharger.

You have a honda user, you're hardly loaded yourself.

>NA
Why do I even bother

Miata's have nothing to do with this.

I'm gonna say GM's Quad 4, particularly the high output models.

The GM Quad 4 was heavily inspired by the Offy

>What
Offenhauser was an American company known for their 4 cylinder Formula 1 racing engines. The engines were capable of taking as much booth as you wanted due to them not having a separate cylinder head, meaning no head gasket to blow.

>as much booth
*Boost.

the fiero will spontaneously ignite long before 700,000 miles
not to mention i can tell you havent drove a fiero if you think you can drive one for 700,000 without getting bored

only a small batch of early 1984 cars did that and there was a recall for it

ITB on a F20. What a gigantic waste of money

He has to be retarded. Speed Academy put ITB on their s2k and you could feel the disappointment when they got it tuned.

>One of the biggest keys to Offy’s success was power. The 251.89 twin-cam 4-cylinder with 15:1 compression ratio could produce as much as 420 horsepower at 6,6oo rpm.
>made in 1933

hory shet

Offy was pretty badass

Fiat FIRE engine

>N/a 4banger thread
>not posting the sexiest, greatest 4 cylinder ever put in production vehicles.

What the fuck?

>guys we made this great race car
>where is the driver suppose to sit
>...
>fuck

the greatest 4 banger ever made
the 2.3 lima

That you SR?

I always thought the quad 4 was a meme until I ran a grand am with one in an enduro. The thing just screamed on the straights, not to mention they sound amazing straight piped at WOT

H22a7

Well the Mitsubishi Astron was pretty good. Not the most reliable, but older carbonated versions were used in everything from pickup trucks, forklifts, and even outboard motors.

They were all around 2.3-2.6 liters of displacement, tarbo, fuel injected, and carbonated, chain driven, single cam, 2 valves per cylinder.
There was even a diesel version of the Astron engine called the 4D
Hyundai used them, Ford used them, Dodge used them.

jesus what is happening here?

expending foam holding shit together, or from rattling? not trimmed.
belts fucking holding the radiator support together
garden hose to route wires?
home made hood props

Correct answer. Reliable af.

>GM
oldsmobile

don't let GM take credit for their redheaded bastard child's accomplishments, they did that enough with the quadrajet

>fiero
>not postal truck

It's an enduro/demo car, doesn't need to be pretty, just needs to work.

Expandable foam offers a little extra crash protection for the fuse box and degauss bottle

Seat belts work great to hold the rad in somewhat of a place once the front end gets smashed

Garden hose works great to route battery cables in and keep them from getting pinched or cut

All thread to hold the hood shut

4A-GE 20valve.

Mine just blew up so im downgrading to a 4A-GZE supercharged.

>That you SR?
>tfw even going anonymous, people still recognize me

Weeb garbage.
>123 hp
>good

>90s ford
>ever

Definitely not pic related
It only makes 160hp at 6000rpm
F20c is peaky trash

Reliability is not what OP asked about. If reliability were the measuring stick, the best 4 cylinder would be GM's Iron Duke.

No. Way too peaky and doesn't make enough torque.

k20 makes good power and has a decent rpm

FJ20/FJ24 literally any other answer is plain wrong.

But if you get the ones that make great power, like the K20A2, they're very peaky and don't make enough torque. Horsepower is not the only measuring stick.

This is now a Quad 4 thread.

The 2.3 came out in 74

I got a H22 ek and it makes 154 lb-ft of torque. Plenty around town for a car that light. It also revs to 8k.

Pretty much any 4 cyl that's stroked will get you what you want. A beefy torque curve that revs decently.

I'd reccomend:
K24A2
H22
SR20

I've personally never ridden in a car, or driven a car with a beams motor, but from looking at the specifications, I have a feeling it'd be a fun motor.

180Kw stock output user , where did you get 160hp from?

180kw at over nine thousand
at 6000rpm its only putting down 160hp

Why do you care about the power on a low RPM for a high RPM engine?

bore and stroke
forced induction

>but muh equivalent engine with more cc/ci's
but you REPLACE the displacement upgrade with a different modification

>6000rpm
>low rpm
for way of reference a 13b-msp makes 170hp at 6000rpm and is a 1.3l :^)

It also makes 231hp @8200rpm, also the f20c VTEC kicks in at 6250rpm so it gains much power just a few rpm higher.

>Not mentioning the 4G63
>Implying Mitsubishi badge ruins it

Look I know you all hate Mitsu but something has to be said about it.
I love Honda 4s but they get spanked by a 4G63 everyday of the week.

chrysler badge ruins the 4g63

Why are you ITT?
>Not just looking for peak power, but a good mix of peak power and area-under-curve/power band/torque. Which 4cyl NA is best?

fun fact, the Volvo 16v head was designed by Porsche. they pretty much took the design for their 3l and adapted it for the 2.3l redblock.

Clearly never driven a stripped civic with it. More torque and you get diminuishing returns.

>doubting the God-emperor of all things automotive

>If reliability were the measuring stick, the best 4 cylinder would be GM's Iron Duke.

I think you mean the Volvo 1800

>tfw no lima powered maverick

>Muh nostalgia.

Where are those awesome QUAD4 motors?
Dead, dead I tell you.
Meanwhile, the K series or even F series are still going strong.

redblocks are awesome too...

I have a lima in my 1980 courier and I plan on just buying a ratty 5.0 HO mustang. Then literally swapping the motors, a Courier with 5.0 and plenty of other goodies and a 4-banger Mustang that I could truly learn stick with

>no one mentioned the secret Mazda 2.0
>678whp (int/exh manifold still stock)
youtube.com/watch?v=HZx73zApUkQ

>Meanwhile, the K series or even F series are still going strong.
and still losing to bone stock W41 cars.

That's not how it works. Ricer logic does not work in the real world. Even stripped, the car still has the same amount of torque as before.

found the retard

they haven't done their final tune yet, but i don't get why their numbers are so low... maybe wrong length intake runners

there should be an official Veeky Forums checklist to gauge if your engine is retarded or not -

1.) does it have more than one cam?
2.) interference?
3a.) variable timing?
3b.) variable timing on multiple cams?
4.) more than 1 intake/exhaust valve?
5.) block and head made from different metals?
6.) thrust bearing not in center?

answering yes to any of these means your engine is garbage

You are stupid

ok but 2 of those really does mean you are shit

fuck off goth retard

According to this, my lawnmower engine isn't retarded but literally everything else is? What are you trying to say user? Should we all daily drive riding mowers?

The stock intake manifold is just that good

>those runners

kekked

fun fact#2, you can take that head and put it on
just search ford 2.3 lima volvo head swap

Best post on Veeky Forums

>fordfag geniuses
Why in hell would anyone dick around with a pos lima engine just tog get a better head from another manufacturer onto it? The lima is shit, total shit there'sa reason you're looking to other brands for a better head. So even knowing the lima is a piece of garbage, why wouldn't you just use the whole volvo engine how cuckold do you have to be to choose the worst option of combining the two?

bump

Who the fuck said you get more torque by stripping?
T. Autist

Not the most powerful but severely underrated

Kek 2 stroke confirmed for best Veeky Forums motor of the year 2017

reading comprehension > you

Duratec>Zetec

Hurricane 4

with the fact the Dart is being killed off for a new Dodge Neon, I wonder if this will find its way into a new Neon SRT4

>I wonder if this
Oh definitely it's going to be "that" in a 2018 neon