I need a machinist

My plans keep falling through.
I need a machinist, or anyone with access to a water jet, or plasma cutter, to make me some metal plates. I have the AutoDesk files ready to go.

Mild steel, I believe 3/8th thick. Its 4 plates total, and I would like to have 4 sets made.

Everyone here locally wants a minimum of $150 just to setup, and I need to buy their overpriced metal.

Is there anyone here willing to do the work for me? I will buy you the metal, and pay for shipping, and throw you some for the work.
I am located in Illinois, but as long as you are in the states, shipping wont be an issue.

I need this done asap, these are engine mounts, I need to assemble them, and drop the new engine in this year.

Pic related is one plate

Other urls found in this thread:

homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-18-24-and-32-TPI-Bi-Metal-Hacksaw-Blade-3-Pack-DWHT20558/205049947
harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html
harborfreight.com/12-in-360-degree-adjustable-hacksaw-60646.html
emachineshop.com
youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Using mild steel for engine mounts
Have fun with that famalam

Do it yourself with a drill and hacksaw. Won't be as pretty with those little fillets (faggot), but no one will ever see.

I could do it but you'd need to send it to france

and convert it to milimeters.

whatever grade of steel works best. I dont know shit about metallurgy.

I am trying to replace mounts that were done by hand. They were lopsided, and utter shit. I want to make multiple sets, and sell them. I know at least 2 people right now offering money for these specific mounts.

Some guy makes these by hand, and sells them for $250. I bought a set, they were awful.
I am trying to make a better product.

The person who designed the mounts for me says to use A36 grade 1/4th inch steel.

the ends of the bracket would be rounds, the notch on the inside of the bracket would technically be called a fillet.

pic unrelated

Reference, this is the awful hand made mounts I initially bought.

>ovaled holes
>material overlap
>not using all 6 holes

Just piss

No problem bro, I got you.

First just wire me some money so I can get this shit started for you.

4 plate right....ok.

I'll do it for 500 total. Just wire that to [email protected]

$500. lol

What kind of tolerances do you have called out on this stuff?

I am guessing that is where your cost is coming from.

Drank more whisky and here are my .02

%99 chance you are a mechanical engineer student or some other egghead that has no idea how to design practical parts.

>The machine shop is going to charge you what they can make with their machines with actual clients, so you are competing against actual clients. Doing your low volume project means they can't do projects that pay them real money.
>Just because you have CAD files means nothing, they need to turn that into G-code and ensure the machine does not crash, this is going to take up somebodies time.
>They will have to set up some kind of fixture to hold your part.
>They will have to babysit the first article of all 4 plates to make sure they don't crash the machine and meet your tolerance specs.
>You likely have stupid tolerances and unrealistic or no control frames, they realize you are a fucking desk jockey and they want nothing to do with your project you will probably bitch at them about so they are charging you out the ass so you go away.

Get rid of those corner radiuses and somebody could run this on a manual mill in no time. But oh that is right, you have your four year degree that tells you, you are a fucking genius.

>Everyone here locally wants a minimum of $150 just to setup, and I need to buy their overpriced metal.
That's completely normal for a one off job.

>I am guessing that is where your cost is coming from.
It's not, if OP put retarded tolerances on it they'd be asking a lot more.

>user that works at a job shop in IL

How much experience do you have a working with machine shops OP? I'm guessing none.

Why do you think supplying AutoDesk files entitle you to special treatment?

>It's not, if OP put retarded tolerances on it they'd be asking a lot more.
I want to wait and see. I am guessing this job could get done with .03 on everything if he is willing to open the holes from a press fit on the studs or whatever they are mating with. This should be something somebody could blast out on a manual mill in an hour or two.

To be honest it's something he could do himself with a decent impact drill, dykum, a scribe, hacksaw and a dremel in a couple hours.

what makes you so bitter towards people with STEM bachelor's degrees?

>3/8 inch thick steel
>dremel

Needs big boy angle grinder.

Not him, I'm job shop user.
In all seriousness, work at a machine shop for like 4 months and you'll find out that a good 40% of engineers can't do basic math nor do they care about anything related to ANSI print standards.

We have this one part where if the threaded hole is at the high end of the tolerance and the thickness of one of the flats is at the low end, the threads poke through the face of the flat. This shit happens all the time. Or they'll do bullshit like make every dimension on the print .XXXX but then have some note that says "+-.01" for the whole part. Or they'll do the opposite and make the whole thing +-.0001 for no reason when +-.01 would work fine and be a shit ton cheaper. Basically all they know how to do is engineer but they have no clue about the manufacturing. Like OP's drawing is a good example. The little cut out on the side? The fact it has internal radii make it a fuck ton easier to make. If they were sharp corners then it would require flipping the part up which adds to the cost. Even something tiny like an 1/8 radius would make something like that far easier to machine in practice because it means the outline can be done in one go instead of requiring multiple operations

tl;dr engineers are smart but sometimes they're really fucking dumb.

That's what the hacksaw was for, user.

Sawzalling through 3/8ths inch steel is tough, I've done it. Hacksawing would theoretically work in the sense that you could chop down a tree with a herring.

Angle grinder with cutting discs is what I'd choose.

>Hacksawing would theoretically work in the sense that you could chop down a tree with a herring
What kind of shit blades/noodle arms do you have? Cutting out that slot shouldn't take more than a couple minutes a piece then clean up with the dremel. Especially if it's just A36.

you're trying to produce a part for profit, and your process is to see if some user will do your work for you without charging set-up fees?

i mean, i work with industrial machineshops on a daily basis so maybe it sounds more outrageous to me than most, and maybe there are hobbyists out there with C&C machines but this just sounds silly to me.

good luck, anyway

>C&C machines

Genuinely curious now what hacksaw you use to cut thick metal

Noodle blades are Milwaukee 49-22-1216 on a sawzall, thick kerf is better. I've never used a hacksaw on anything more than ~18ga sheet.

3/8's isn't that thick user. Something like this, it's been a while since I've had to so I don't remember specifically. homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-18-24-and-32-TPI-Bi-Metal-Hacksaw-Blade-3-Pack-DWHT20558/205049947

>Buy a 6 pack of your favorite beer.
>Buy angle grinder
>Buy step drill bit.
>Print templates on paper, attach to steel with spray adhesive, cut them out.
>For holes, use a center punch to mark them so the drill bit doesn't wander.

You could knock this shit out on a Saturday an afternoon.

>homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-12-in-18-24-and-32-TPI-Bi-Metal-Hacksaw-Blade-3-Pack-DWHT20558/205049947

Thanks, I'll try that out next time I get the chance.

those are some fucking stupid engineers then you're dealing with.
i'm just in college for a diploma in mechanical engineering technology, so not a degree, we learn how to design AND fabricate parts, so cnc, hand made with mills, 3d print, water jet cutters etc.
my autocad teacher failed my second assignment because I used 0.11mm line width instead of 0.12mm on some of my lines. Everything else was perfect. He failed another one of my assignments because there was a dot that i drew by accident in layer 0.
last year only half his class actually passed his course.

but can confirm, half the kids in my class are fucking idiots and shouldn't be near people trying to manufacture a component. Literally all they know how to do is math.

we had a project in another class where we had to build a robot that autonomously solved a maze, half the groups just made a robot that dodnt crash into shit but had nothing to do with actually solving the maze. My group members kept trying to tell me this is how you do it, and I got into a very heated debate with them about it. we ended up doing it my way, and got full grades and had one of the only robots that actually solved the maze instead of just wandering around aimlessly.

half the class managed to fail this easy ass drawing.

>those are some fucking stupid engineers then you're dealing with.
Like I said, that's about 40% of engineers in general. The ones that aren't were usually machinists for at least a little bit.

this is why engineers need to be able to both design and manufacture parts. Like i went to change the headlight in my gf's golf the other day, oh its gonna be easy, take a cap off, pull the old bulb put the new bulb, done. fucking nope, had to completely remove the battery just to get to the cap and for some reason there's a bracket holding the bulb in place which has to be unscrewed. like a 5 minute job turned into a 40 minute job just because some fuckup engineer can't just make it easier to access. There was plenty of room too, no excuse for it.

They design them to be easily and cheaply assembled by the company's machinery, not easily and cheaply accessed by mechanics. Difficult access just means dealer techs can charge more. It's a gain for the company.

Lmao.
I could turn that cad file into Gcode in like 5 seconds. It is not a complex piece.

wrong, faggot.

>about 40% of engineers in general
what if I told you half of all engineers are below average

Man, that ain't even bad. Too nitpicky here. That'll work.

They do work. But two of my friends need a pair. My main friend who makes mounts tried to duplicate those on a rig, but their are so crapply made that he just ended up designing a new pair in Autodesk. So now they need to be made at a shop.

I realize how much labor goes into actually making them. I had a source that was gonna cut them for $75. And now its gone.

Im just reaching out, and hoping that someone here can help a br/o/ther out.

you do not need a machinist to make those.
you must be a gay

The 40% I'm talking about are in the tenth percentile of skill.

>i'm just in college for a diploma
fuck off college boy

you seem so stupid I hope nobody helps you

pls no bully. this is all new to me. I just need to find a shop that can make these for me, and not charge me $300

You won't. Shop time is usually 70-100 an hour.

no you don't.
make them yourself. fgt

I dont have the equipment.
That is true. Again, I am shopping around for a deal.

I had luck with a local university that would do this for almost free as a project for class, but they are not responding to me anymore.

>Again, I am shopping around for a deal.
user pls, there's no "deals" when it comes to shop time. The only time they deal is if you've got multiple interested parties for a large job that will still make lots of money after the dealing is done. Your job will maybe break even or make just a few bucks.

quit bitching. those are fine. if you want perfection you better start playing the lottery...because with your attitude and more importantly your budget your projects will never work.

I'm not so sure about that.

A friend of mine works at a metal manufacturing place, and they have a laser cutter that he said he would do for free on his spare time. Unfortunately they fired like 6 people from his job, and everyone has been working overtime for over a month now, and so he has no spare time do get this done.
He is running a small side business making custom brackets for Toyobaru cars, he has been on backorder for a while now. its the busy season.

There is a lot of room for negotiations, especially when a place has no orders lined up, or are just a regular business that wouldnt mind doing some work on the side below market price.

Its just not easy finding a place.

stupid fucker just needs to drill it with a press and manually cut out that one small section at the back and round the edges with a wheel.

>cutting and chamfering machines

>I dont have the equipment.
If you have $150 for brackets, then you have $150 for equipment.

I don't see no fillets

They are not fine. see The guy who makes those is currently selling the same low quality shit for $250. He said they are plasma cut on a machine, but are infact hand made, and no two parts are identical. He claimed they are powered coated, but are in fact spray painted over, and came with flash rust on them. They are low quality parts.
Even after pointing all that out to him, and catching the seller in his own lies, he is still selling them for that much, and wont admit faults.

I hate shit like that. My friend spent time making a new design, and I have no problem underselling him for better made parts.
He wont even give me a volume discount on his shit parts when I asked for 3 sets. Wanted $780.

But since he sells maybe 2 per year, its not something profitable.

I dont have the $150 for brackets, that's the whole point.

Yeep, unfortunately he is too fucking dumb to figure it out.

... and too fucking poor to be doing whatever it is he is doing

motor swaps aren't cheap, dumbo.

I dont have a drill press. I dont have anything to cut the parts with. Clam down, not everyone has a stocked garage full of tools, or work buddies with said garage.

I am trying to make a quality product.

>I am trying to make a quality product.

That is going to be difficult if you are a complete idiot.

harborfreight.com/8-in-5-speed-bench-drill-press-60238.html
>$65

harborfreight.com/12-in-360-degree-adjustable-hacksaw-60646.html
>$6

Waaahhh I don't have tools. Waaahhhh why won't a shop work for free.

>I am trying to make a quality product.
why did you come to Veeky Forums then? dummy

>I dont have a drill press.

You don't need one. Center punch, small drill bit, progressively larger drill bits. Drill press makes it faster, but it's not a necessity.

>I dont have anything to cut the parts with.

$35 grinder, $5 cut off wheel, $5 grinding wheel. Cut part with cutting wheel, drill with center punch and progressive drill bits, smooth edges and take the little chunk out with the grinding wheel.

Take your time and you'll get a quality product. You don't need $5,000 worth of equipment to put some holes in flat plate.

You don't even need a vice really, a decent c clamp on top of a 2x4 sitting on some sort of table would work fine.

Assuming you have absolutely no tools at all, you'd need the $35 grinder, $10 for the wheels, $45 for a drill, less than $20 for the bits, $15 for a decent size C clamp, $10 for a center punch set, and $25 for a really nice hammer. Said and done you're in for $155, and the tools/materials you now have will last plenty long enough to make 4 sets of 4 plates.

If you don't like the price of having it done, do it yourself. If you don't want to do it yourself, learn to live without.

I designed an exhaust flange in Inventor and had it laser cut at a local company, only cost me 15 yuros.

anyway, I built my custom engine mounts using 1cm metal plates bought from a local junkyard and cut them with an angle grinder, and made the required holes with a plasma cutter

omg. I am not trying to make these by hand. just stop.

sweet blogpost bro

Then pay the shop whatever it is they're asking to make them for you, and be fucking happy that they're even willing to do such a small volume order for a whiny brat like yourself.

sweet shitpost bro

not op. but what is wrong with trying to find a deal? do u go in and pay stickers price on a new car? you never talked down a muffler shop for a qucik fix?

stupid examples.

cars sitting on the lot were purchased on borrowed money and need to go or the dealer gets shafted

muffler shops are always looking to keep their slaves busy

op is whining at an automated shop to stop making money so they can blow out his one off noprofit pet project. i guarantee you most shops he has talked to want him to fuck off.

You want cheap? Do it yourself. That's your only option.

this.

Laser or plasma should be only a few pounds for that not $150 most laser cutters will do small one off stuff without an issue, I can't believe you are struggling that hard to find one.

Lack of education leading to a shit job on minimum wage.

I love the way you sat turn it into G-code as if that isn't an automated process that takes literally 2 clicks. Go back to 2nd grade shop you are overcharging be 2 cents with that drivel.

Most Stem majors have superiority complexes.
They go to a professional to get something done, then question the professional the entire time.
They're not actually capable of doing things in the real world, and they know it, but they don't want to believe it.
If you ever own your own business you'll learn this very quickly.
Do not do business with Stem majors, especially engineers.
Maybe the only group worse is dot Indians.

You could always use these guys if everything else fails.

emachineshop.com

>small drill bit through thick steel

Machinist here, ain't gonna work cause shit is weak, if you want to make a small indentation to center the next bit to center sure then i'd start the hole with a 1/4 drill .
If you go DIY op don't forget that smaller drill bits will want to run at a higher rpm and larger bits will run at slower rpm but feed slowly with caution don't forget lube when drilling.
Judging by the holes I'd run the smaller/center drill at 1000rpm and the final size bit bit at about 500 depends on the steel but for mild most likely

Those guys are pretty legit actually. Trying to remember but I think their pricing isn't so bad but you'll obviously pay more for a batch of parts. Pretty good for prototyping and one offs

>emachineshop.com
Thanks

Will submit for a quote.

Like any machine shop, the initial ball punch is the setup charge. At least they give you free ""CAD"" software with the estimator built in to reduce the cost / expectations.

And yeah, the more you make the cheaper it is per piece.

oh the glorious wonders of CNC,

I can actually do this project
Don't worry about buying steel
200 dollars plus shipping and it's yours
Located in cali

whats your info?

I'm just gonna use a fake email so the mongoloid masses don't know my real one
Send an email to [email protected] and I'll bounce one back from my actual address

Shit my bad. Send the mail to [email protected]

let us know if this is a real source

>I dont know shit about metallurgy.

And that is why you will never understand why it will cost them at least $150 to sort your shit out before material costs.

>and I need to buy their overpriced metal.
They know what grade of steel the job needs. You do not.

I'm serious about the project but am going to have to go somewhat soon so if you want to make a deal you should hurry up and send the email to [email protected]

I'm going to stop caring if you don't send me an e-mail to [email protected] in the next 5 minutes.

It's like a cnc, but it plays this while running youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

>And that is why you will never understand why it will cost them at least $150 to sort your shit out before material costs.

This. Consider it a consulting fee and part of the setup costs. If your design will fail miserably using your choice of materials a good machinist will have the common sense and experience to point this out to you. And likewise if you can save cost or weight by using aluminum or GF nylon instead of steel or carbon fiber they will point this out as well. Good machinists are worth their salary.

t. materials engineer, speciality: engineered composites

You could also build Devcon Flexane mounts with 60-95a hardness.

This is the dumbest fucking thread I've seen in a long time. OP is the automotive equivalent of idea guys coming to /v/ asking if anyone will do the programming and art to make their game for free. He should have never been given the time of day.

You don't need any special steel for motor mounts

3/8ths is overkill, 1/4 is fine.

But he has an autodesk file! That is like 90% of the work done!

All that is left is for some idiot with out a STEM degree to load some metal in a machine and push a button. Why is this so difficult to find for free?

Look who just blew in from stupidtown.

Nigga just take a sharpie, ruler, file, and drill. Goddamn.

Find a better metal shop. A big one. One next to me has 30 employees and bills $34/hour. But they have water jet and other CNC so they work fast.