ABS or no ABS

I have been wondering how should i choose my first care.
I would like to get information of benefits and minuses of ABS.
I have winter conditions.

ABS is basically a retard-proof approach to stopping as fast as possible. Slam on your brake pedal and the rest is handled electronically. In theory, you could achieve the same level of braking by sheer skill/intuition but it's something that isn't very easy to do when you're in a panic trying to stop.

To be honest, I don't know what kind of vehicle you are even looking at that doesn't have ABS. Almost everything after 2005 has it.

ABS gives you the potential to steer build braking, potentially missing or minimizing the impact damage.

HOWEVER you should practice engaging the ABS in all conditions on a regular basis to get used to it and how to steer while it's engaged. If you freak out and let off of the brake pedal because "that pulsing scares me" then it's worse than just locking up the brakes. Get used to the pulsing. That tells you it's got the brakes and you just deal with the steering.

The same goes with motorcycles, even moreso. Practice, get used to it, be one with the ABS pulsing.

I engage mine sometimes in the winter. It's your car telling you, "Easy there, Mario. Get home in one piece."

*build? Fuck autocorrect.

I meant "steer while braking hard"

I am thinking of volkswagen golf 3 for now.

ABS can be both good and bad in the winter.

Good: it keeps you from locking up the tires
Bad: since your tires don't lock up you just happily keep moving on top of the snow

don't. They're notoriously unreliable.

Can i steer without ABS if i don't lock the wheels.
And if I have ABS if i feel the pulsation can i let it go enough so that i am breaking on the border of pulsation and not pulsation for better traction.

I had two accidents that would have been avoided with ABS. Will never own another daily without ABS and traction control.

I'd recommend a Mazda CX-5.

Same here. I was thinking of getting an Audi Allroad for my first because I dont really "do" Subarus, old sport. It seems like a good choice for where I live, plus gravel roads and such.

The only time ABS is worth turning off and locking your wheels is good is when driving on gravel/mud/sand and other such types of road. That's because when the wheel locks, it allows for material to build up on the front of the wheel and makes the wheel "penetrate" the ground, which achieves greater forces of friction, thus less stopping distances and more wear on the tires.

Driving on snow might as well be driving on pavement as far as disabling ABS is concerned. Keep it on.

What you're thinking of is threshold braking and no, if you have ABS, you can't threshold brake because most, if not all ABS systems, are unable to get to that point. Simply not pressing the pedal so you don't feel the ABS engaging is not the same as threshold braking.

Basically, what this user said

There are golf 3's left? I thought they all rusted away or broke down by now. Really shitty cars.

I want my first car to be an old one.

Yes, but you must be an amazingly skilled driver to do it under emergency conditions. The pulsation is your ABS effectively taking your foot off the pedal and reapplying it dozens of times per second, faster than you could ever hope to. Yes you potentially outbrake an ABS system if you can thread that need of be JUST this side of locking without engaging the ABS. Again, that takes a lot of skill and predictable braking conditions.

On dry pavement a skilled driver/rider paying careful attention can outbrake an ABS system. On wet it takes a higher level of skill. On snow / ice all bets are off.

ABS prevents less skilled driver from just locking the brakes in a panic and skidding into an obstacle. But a lot of less skilled or experienced drivers panic when they feel the pulsing and release the brake. This is worse.

But there's a safety factor there. When ABS engages you have yet to get to the locking point. ABS doesn't engage when the wheels lock. That's dangerous as hell, so they make it engage sooner.

One of my cars doesnt have ABS the other had a faulty solenoid so I just pulled the fuse. Been that way for years.

You know, I can't remember the last time I heard tires screeching to a stop.

Kind of like squealing tires racing away from a stoplight.

I miss those sounds. Fucking nanny DOT.

Without abs, lock breaks into every corner pulling off hektik skidz each turn.

I think abs on bikes makes you statisticly more likely to crash compared to bikes without abs.

But if you're on a bike you should know how to emeegency brake properly

This.

Most jdm and eu barges after 1991 have it

>drive in nordic country
>trusting ABS ever