Snow tires thread?

Snow tires thread?
Just bought 4 General Altimax Arctic, and when I got home I checked the manufactured on code, and tw oof the tires are a year older than the rest. Should I be an asshole and go back and ask for them to replace the tire with a newer, to match the other 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

accuweather.com/en/weather-news/weakening-polar-vortex-may-yield-longer-harsher-winters-in-north-america/70000025
youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

Hakkapeliitta master race reporting in

I wish I could afford those, I hear they are one of the best. If not the best brand.

I just ordered a set for my car to can't wait to see how they do.
I liked the design of the firestone winterforce but the general got better reviews.

>hould I be an asshole and go back and ask for them to replace the tire with a newer, to match the other 2?
yes
You paid for new tires

Can somebody redpill me on the studded Ipikes? I drive a lot of fresh snow and kind of need the tread depth. I know they're not the greatest on ice and bare pavement. I see a lot of shallow tread depth tires clogging up and spinning. The hakka's are nice but they seem to lack tread depth.

They are mostly a meme, any studded tire will do for the winter really. Finns just cant shut up about their Nokian.

>the tires are a year older than the rest.

New condition means they were not previously sold to someone else and then returned. I asked long ago about tires, and they said that they don't stock every tire naturally and order them from distributors. Thus some tires will have different manufacturing dates within 3 years of the purchase date. As long as it meets that, Sam's Club would sell them to me as new tires. Don't know about Costco's age policy for new tires.

That's what I was verbally told. I could find no written similar description at Sam's Club in the tire contract or website. Well, they work well enough for me so kept mine.

As long as the tires have those little rubber whiskers sticking out all over the tires, then you know it is physically not driven by someone else. Otherwise all those whiskers are worn off. That is my main method of verifying if a tire is "new" or not. No whiskers? Then it might be a returned tire since someone drove on them for ten miles and ground off all the whiskers. It took about 12 miles to lose my whiskers if you're curious how long they last on Continentals.

Hakkapelitta R2 or 8?

I double checked and two of the tires I couldnt find the manufacture date next to the DOT, it must be on the other side of the tire, facing the inwards. The other two in question, one was week 22 of 2016, and the old one was week 44 of 2015. I got them from Walmart, but I know the manager there, so maybe I can talk to him about getting me a new tire or something, or just suck it up and keep them.

>so maybe I can talk to him about getting me a new tire or something, or just suck it up and keep them.
As long as they are new tires, and not damaged in any way, let it be.
Don't be so fucking autistic. Shit, they'll sit in your garage after you take them off in a few months anyways

This, big time.
Always been on 8-9/32 used winter tires with no problems.

Nokian are for bad drivers.

>200Ft/torque RWD MEAN MACHINE

>buying tires from walmart
>ever

I used to unload tire trailers for them. Old tires are the least of your worries. A lot had big chunks of rubber missing from the insides, I wouldn't be surprised if they patch them and mount them up.

I absolutely cannot comprehend cold weather driving or snow. Seriously if it gets below 32 degrees here work and school is cancelled, the news makes public warnings about how you shouldn't go outside, and there are a hundred wrecks.

Blizzak DM-V2s for lyfe

mfw plebs compare random studded tires with hakkapulkalolitas.

>not even finn

As a tire installer, no fuck off I'm busy enough as it is without some prick coming back in demanding the freshest tires like it's fucking fruit.

And no it wont matter in the long run with proper wheel rotations every 10 000 km as you will always have to replace in pairs minmium. Or if 4 wheel drive and especially all wheel drive you will have to replace all 4 at the same time. So if the older tire starts to develop cracks larger than 1 mm you can replace the pair instead of spending money on 4 then replace the other 2 next year.

Check local laws first if you are allowed to use studded tires on public roads

>Blizzak DM-V2
How do they compare to WS80?

Cheap studded tires > whatever studdless tires you got

They work well enough. You don’t need racekar/rally tires on a dd.

These ones were delivered by Fedex from one of their warehouses.

Can't say, never used WS80's. Though we had some freezing rain and these did pretty good.

Its probably safe to say both are pretty good options for winter, a bit pricey if that.

Am I a pleb for running hangook i-pike rs?

>hangook i-pike rs
Yes, General is better and cheaper.

Michelin X-Ice Xi3 reporting in

$200 each at Costco (Canada) but literally no snow on ground yet

I hope its below 40, otherwise you're eating up your tread.

What size?

do i really need to get winter tires

i have all season tires. i mean. ive been driving for 10 some years now and ive never actually bought winter tires

You'll be doing yourself a favor

Think of it as extra insurance for your car. If you dont give a shit about your car dont bother. But Winter tires make a huge difference when it comes to stopping and controlling your car.

That doesn't matter OP. I'd say as long as the rubber "feels" the same before you do too much driving, they're close enough in age for it to not matter, so generally 2 years or so.

Temperature is literally holding steady at high single digits in Celsius, been 7-9 degrees pretty much

That's like 46 Fahrenheit (8 degrees celsius)

And I've already put 5000 Kms on them, like 3000 miles baka

215 55 r17

2015 Toyota Camry LE with Upgrade package, alloy wheels 17 inch

The DMV-2 is more for bigger SUV's and light trucks, well the WS80 is more for CUV's and cars. You get some cross over sizes in the bigger cars/smaller SUV's, but other then that they keep them separated.

Leaf?

Rule of thumb is 7 degrees C road temps or lower wont cause any extra wear. Not sure what that converts to in burger, but you start to see more advantages in that area. Plus some areas can go from a strong 7C one day to below 0 and snowing the next day, so its better safe then sorry at that point anyway.

Si señorita

Hamilton Ontario

You're good, we gonna get hit with some cold weather next week.

Serious?

t. burlington fag

Yup I am western NY, and we got some cold shit coming our way.

Excellent

All I see on google weather is Sunday rain and showers 6pm to Monday morning 3am

I don't even drive during that time but I guess I'll have to baka

accuweather.com/en/weather-news/weakening-polar-vortex-may-yield-longer-harsher-winters-in-north-america/70000025

Interesting

Well I am hoping for lots of snow

You and me both, cuz I just dropped 400 on my winter tires.

Haha same another user from western ny. They come in next Monday

The best tire for where I live atleast. If I saw less ice I'd probably buy Continental

8 SUV, 245/70/16

When did maximizing traction become a problem?

Burlington here too. Live near downtown. X-ice3 on steelies is one of the best Veeky Forums memes I fell for.

Coworker is complaining that its too slippery on the roads currently

Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be?

Natural selection, maybe

That's outdated mom science. Good modern winter tires can be driven in warm weather (within reason) without suffering extra wear and tear.

>16 year old tires
Hopefully he just kills himself.

Clearly never experience Nokian killer grip.

>When did maximizing traction become a problem?

Its like you don`t want to get hektik, or something.

Not tires that are goid on ice. Nokian WRs are not in the same category as Blizzak ice tires.

Its a damned Hilux - I can get that rear out anytime I want

Fact.

You can also pop it on 2 wheels

I thought that was common knowledge

youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ

Currently -10f will be -25 to -30 tomorrow. I'll drop my kid off at school on monday as usual.
agreed an ice tire will wear like cheese at higher temps

Where are you? We've been having shit stability... two days ago it was 32F/0C, today -10C/14F, and soon they're saying it might drop to -16F/-27C

Damn, all this talk about snow tires makes me want for some snow....

Continental WinterContact SIs reporting in. Now my SS stands for "Snow Sport" right?

Be careful on wet roads or even dry pavement. They're not Pilot Sports. But I'm sure you know this.

I use Nokian WRs on my Subaru. I get along great in Northern Ohio winters, but they are noisy and don't grip in rain as well as some better all-seaons. They're much better in snow and OK on ice, so it's a nice tradeoff.

If I lived in some place that had lots of freezing rain or awful winters (eg UP Michigan) I'd go with Blizzaks or Winter Ice's.

I'm in s/e MI so snow isnt crazy, basically same as you, maybe even less since I dont really have a lake erie west of me.

i dunno, all reviews were positive about the cont's so i figure im nearly, if not am, as well off as i can be without studs.

i drove a bald-tired, no-weight-in-the-back F150 through many winters and never had trouble. granted it had better clearance but that aside, i'm probably at least better off that that

Needs TPMS sensors

I've got a set of Continental Wintercontacts, and a set of Blizzak LM001's and both are round the top of their class in tests.

Both are okay up to 210km or 130mph.

Wet traction on the Bridgestones is a bit better and testers claim the Conti's are marginally better in snow. Though I haven't thoroughly tested them each in snow.

Holy shit how have those tires not disintegrated yet? They should be dried husks