/ORG/: winter larp edition

Welcome back to Off-Road General. Where we discuss heep culture, oberlanding, toyota supremacy, and even do a little woodlands bromance larping.

Discuss northern winter offroad maintenance or southern trail paths and what you're doing in the season.

Post sick rigs or taylor swift.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Toyota/comments/28po3u/tundra_on_40s/
tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/149178-fender-flares/
oshkoshdefense.com/services/contract-mechanisms/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Toyota

I wish us Americans got sick toyota "overlanders" besides tacos. Tacos are easily compared to Rangers, too so even that overlander isn't as unique.

I guess they know their market :^(

It's a real shame that overlanding in general isn't that popular in the US.

I see a lot of crawlers and prerunners but you'd think there'd be a bigger overland community seeing as how easy it is to just drive off into the desert and camp for a few days

What's the new gen FJ Cruiser like off road? It looks pretty fat parked next to a H2. Trying to find something for a DD but also a decent off reading vehicle for 2 people.

The FJ is also available in manual, should I go for that one? I'm reading manual got full time 4x4 vs the auto is part time.

>that fucking picture
>FJ cruiser hanging off a noose
>nissan altima in the back is more clear than the centre of supposed attention
Kinda a dedicated offroader but sits in a weird spot. As mentioned, it's not an oberlander because Americans don't want an oberlander. They want rock climbers and mudders which the FJ Cruiser kinda sets out to be. There is no carrying space as it's left to the roof rack (which is a pretty large sin in the overlanding community) and features something like 25cm of clearance to the rear differential (for mudding and rock climbing porpoises). That along with the naturally thicker tyres try to make it into a good "replacement" for what the US should've gotten (a fucking back trailer).

That along with its pretty bad gas mileage doesn't make many people buy it other than muh Toy Yoda reliability (which I think it keeps up pretty well).

Funny thing with the FJ is that I see it driben more by hipsters than by mudders who opt more for Jeep due to cost, fuel efficiency, customisability (in the US), compactness, and fun.

There's just something eerie about the FJ Cruiser, though. Something that's going to cause me trouble sleeping tonight.

Taco taco. hehe

Is the US military falling for the "Angry Grill" pattern, too? I mean, I'm surprised it took so long but god damn it.

When you goto bump the old thread but it image maxes.

Yep. It's a Suburban. Used to be an Ambulance, so the back seats were removed for medical cabinets and stuff. Another added bonus is I have a 50a shore power plug and a complete 120v household power system wired throughout the truck. The previous owner swiped the inverter so it's not usable atm. The truck makes a great base for an overlanding rig IMO.

>Not buying a CUCV blazer

Back when I was in school I would go out every 1st snow and yank out everyone who slid off into a ditch for $20. I'd always make bank till the state cop stopped by and told me to GTFO so I GTFO'D...........
......over to the other highway.

YES!
Just tried doing it too.

Nice. You made a little montage of the Jeep.

It's on the Michigan (I'M SORRY) Craigslist, eh? Or is that just a weird slew of instagram pictures that you put up?

Offer still stands that I'll pay you $4000 if you drive it up to Canada (;

>michigan
I kek'd
but yeah.

craigslist is what I mean by yeah. Just realized that.

Looks like Michigan deserts to me, senpai. I guess so RIPs the yellow YJ meme. At least it wasn't consumed by the normies.

Post CL so we can bully!

I remember reading a story on "van life" of some guy pricking himself and getting Hep C from cleaning an ambulance. Either that or he was just a prick with Hep C. Iunno. Too drunk to care. The important question is how many vials of morphine they forgot in the back.

Also, the inverter will be worth getting the wall outsocket working again. As long as he still has the oversized (or double) battery that they have, then it's definitely worth the small investment.

Also! K5s, Broncos, and Ramchargers have their own charm to them. Especially sleeping in the back of one despite the whirling sound of its 40kg tyres going 100kmph. I guess you could do that with a blazer... but then it's more ~*"(((safe)))"*~

And finally, the snowfall feel isn't as strong in nanny Ontario. As much as rust our cars (since we oversalt our road like McDonald's 5pm fries), it also prevents mongs from careening into people and buildings... Can safely (heh) say I don't know that feel )^:

Hey whilst I'm here. What does the Land Rover Defender have over the MB G-Wagon besides availability and double the cost?

They both seem to be very space-orientated oberlanders that are pretty rugged. Land Rover being just a bit more to maintain (should go without saying, ofc).

You must not be in the LC community

I actually almost did buy a cucv blazer but I really don't feel like replacing rockers or the entire driver floor.
Plus by the time it was all said and done it wouldn't have any of the things that made its cucv in the first place besides the paint.
Pic related, was the one I looked at. Front bumper is inside it
I'm basically stripping to frame then building it back up

>Got muh Christmas cher

Went wheeling for a bit after getting off this morning. Feels good to be back off pavement again!

I agree. The community is there, but the mudding and rock crawling community are much MUCH more prevalent. Oh well...

Seeing the Aussies and their overlanding community tempts me to move though...

Yea some of those /vanlife guys are a bit odd... I love to lurk their threads for ideas though. No morphine found yet, but I did find a bunch of paperwork that got trapped when I removed the panel to one of the barn doors. Looking at the patient vitals someone definitely died.

An Inverter is in the works, but I am still planning out the electrical system mods I want to do. The truck has a dual battery setup, but I want to add an aux bank on board too because being a diesel the motor needs a metric shit ton of power to start up.

Yea... that truck would be more work than I'd be willing to do at this point too. Hopefully it will end up in good hands.

Oh you turned it into an apocalypse reindeer! How adorable (especially in contrast to the deathmobile that it was before). I would maybe get a voodoo shaman imported from Haiti to check if any Native spirits died in the back.

Anyway, I'm surprised that they even have a Suburban as a Waahmbulance. I didn't imagine they'd be a fleeter - are you in a small town with a centralised hospital that serves the entire community? I'm more wondering why they wouldn't get a modified 1500 that would probably just be cheaper.
I mean - good for them (and you!) to have a high speed, trail capable vehicle. But seems kinda frivolous on the taxpayers, innit?

How long can a vehicle sit in muddy water before it is officially damaged beyond repair?

How deep?

Damn thank God no fap November is over

It just so happens my coworker"s mother practices voodoo haha

The scenario you described seems pretty believable. I picked up the truck from a guy in Pittsburgh who had a movie studio and used it as a promo truck/movie prop.

I did some research on it and found the original owner and the conversation company that made it into an ambulance. It sounds like it was a tiny ambulance service way out in the middle of rural Pennsylvania back in the day. Nowadays it looks like the hospital backing them is now huge and the ambulance company has grown.

Ummmmm....... Why do you ask?

>libing the murikkkan dream
Good for them! How nice.

How did you research the vehicle, btw? I should do that to my Ranger because why not. Would pay up to $100, too.

Pls no fap to raifu.

If it's a flood, the engine and shit will be fine. Worst case is that you have some splashback and you might get a cylinder misfire.

But if it's up to the drivetrain, check transmission oil level, check rear differential oil level . Open up the little socket on the side of the transmission fill valve and stick your finger in to see if it drips off. Do the same with the differential oil valve. Transmission should be fine if it was above the fill and drain plug but I'd be worried about differential sitting that long.

You should be fine dribing it for a few hundred klicks but might be worth the 2 hours and $100 to change the oil.

>How did you research the vehicle?

It wasn't too hard. They left a huge clue on the center console. Took about an hour of googling.

>XD series wheels
>IFS lift

>/ORG/

I don't understand.

You wouldn't. Don't worry about it.

the monster hummer in OP's image is independent suspension rear and back

>rear and back
what about the back?

rear and front its a typo you faggot

I actually looked into this when we had the Missy-scandal of /ORG/ a few threads back in two-thousand-and-six-shiggity.

The tactical HMMWVs have a production cost of more than standard supercars and features something like 50cm of clearance as it does not require a differential or underarmour. It can swim in like 5ft of water and has a sturdy as hell construction. Less shit under the vehicle means less shit to break (no drive train, differential, etc) and more clearance. Also - if one wheel / suspension system gets blown up by Al Jezeerah and friends, you can just replace the suspension system unlike if you had an axle and it'd cost more. Independent suspension also allows for more speed in the long rung.

Un-irregardless, hummers also don't rock climb since their width and weight is a restriction on their potential for technical paths. They're a niche vehicle and aren't really recreational "offroad".

is this not the user with the stupid spooky teeth grille?

Research level: zucc

reddit.com/r/Toyota/comments/28po3u/tundra_on_40s/
tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/149178-fender-flares/

>Reddit
dropped desu

angree

Got busy with work and holidays and haven't checked /org in a bit. Glad to see the threads are still staying active and swiftyfan is keeping my semi-chub chubby. That said, this thread needs a goat.

STOP THAT

for some reason, moot is not allowing me to upload pictures

>semi-chub chubby
Holy shit that's GOAT. Was wondering where you been.
Thanks for wrecking muh sidez.

>road fix of the entire fucking suspension and wheel after IED blows it to shred
>says it's an expensive and elaborate system
Pick one.

Negative tendies for:
>Al Jezeera

I have all night and yet I don't have time for this.
oshkoshdefense.com/services/contract-mechanisms/

My winter rally car

i wish i could take it off-roading

Hoping to do some snow wheelin' in the next few weeks. No diff lockers on the Goat, so must go with friends or risk a bad day. Will take pics if'n we go.

Video of it offroad, please.

I don't actually go offroad but I plow my driveway with it

I'd plow you. Mmmmm.

;)

Finally got the truck home, long day but it was so fucking worth it. Can't wait to get busy working on it
Pic is from the tow home

You got a K9 to match that K5?

Buy a winch. I think a 4500 lb ATV winch might even be suitable for the Gert. You might be able to find some snow chains for the wheels for under $100, too. That'd be safer.
^__^

I do but he's too lazy and fat to ever get up into it lol

Winch means new bumper (which is $$s and more weight). I imagine a comealong would do, it just seems like it'd be a pain in the cold/snow. Probably gonna ask wifey to buy me one for Christmas.

Took the Taquito out with some other Tacomas at Lake Elsinore, CA

What did you do with your truck this weekend, /org/?

Yeah, that's fair enough. The tyre chains would still probably be the cheapest. Maybe a traction aid + spade combo but those aren't always the most reliable...

Also, using a hand auger every 30 metres when crossing a river is a pain with the cold/snow/ice. However, it's better than accidentally driving into a weak patch of ice and dying a horrible, icy death. Just do what the 2wd bros do with offroading - learn which paths to not get stuck. Plus your axles are close enough together to probably be fine anyway.

I cleaned up the mess this made.

I dd'd a 5at FJ cruiser for a couple years. If you fold down the rear seats there's quite a bit of cargo room, I only had to use the roof rack a couple times.

It's surprisingly good off road, I had a three inch lift and 33's with the part time 4wd, rear diff lock, and ATRAC. I never did anything crazy, but it always did what I asked it to. Got about 18-20 mpg on the highway but I drove it like a grandma.

I'd definitely recommend getting some sealed pulleys if you ever go through water, the stock ones squeal like crazy if you get em wet.

They look so fucking awkward without the grill guard. Saw one on the road today and made me slightly cringe. With the grill guard, they look awesome.
I don't know why Toyota didn't just bring in the Australian Land Cruiser under a different name and designed a whole other offroader like the FJ Cruze Missile..

Maybe because the land cruiser is supposed to be luxury. Maybe because of . Or maybe because Burgerclapistan deserves to suffer.

bumping

I'll give the thread a goodnight bump with another picture from today

good night, taquito

i remember when your IMG_xxxx count was still at IMG_6600. oh how you have grown.

Can you import the new FJ79 Land Cruisers that are being sold in Australia to the US?

I would recommend finding an African country first because LHD, cheaper, and muh imports.

Can you please use a trip? I want to filter your cancerous ass.

>Can you import to the US?
no.

Isn't there a year restriction of like 20 years that makes shit like that really easy and that's what happened to the R34 and why it blew up in the US.

It's funny because none of their posts are actually cancer

Literally all of his, (yes I said his, you PC faggot) posts are cancerous garbage. Every thread reaches image limit because he posts that airheaded cunt. He is a know nothing faggot that pretends to be an expert by googling people's questions. Then proceeds to ask his own questions that he could easily find on google. And why does he do this? Because he's attention whore, a literal faggot, and doesn't have a single friend or acquaintance in real life. It's annoying having to scroll past his mind numbing bullshit to find any real content. If there ever was a person that should commit suicide it's the swift posting retard. And avatarfagging is AGAINST THE FUCKING RULES.

Lol newfags.

Why would you take a minivan off-road?

Then stop coming to this thread. The whole point is to have a nice and friendly discussion, and they're doing that very well.

The Taylor Swift faggot has only been here a few months. Hating him has nothing to do with being new.

I'm not going to stop coming to offroad threads after years of doing so just because of some faggot that should have been banned months ago.

How long has /ORG/ been around again?

There have been offroad threads since Veeky Forums started. Them turning into a general is just an influx of newfags that need to draw attention to themselves. Stop trying to pretend I'm new here, as if that would invalidate anything I'm saying. You're not clever, you're autistic.

Okay so basically sit down and shut the fuck up.

>hates his posts
>no wait hates his pics
>no wait hates his supposed lack of friends
Projecting a bit there, user?

stop this shit rite now

>rite

u herd rite user u lil shit

Everything about him is cancer. What about that can't you understand?

>confuses genuine niceness with cancer
was her name taylor?

what size tires should i put on my cherokee?

see a light trail maybe once a month

What size are on it now? Do you feel they are inadequate? How much clearance do you need for this light trail? What kinda terrain is it? What size wheel do you have? Is it lifted? You have to answer all those questions first.
31x10.50x15 is a standard good size.

>Confuses obsessive stalker behavior and attention whoring with being nice

stock and probably won't lift because it's rusty

but i'd be willing to cut the fenders off

>literally all you need

Cut fenders, get two inch lift cheap as fuck on Amazon (under $100), get 32x11.50x15s. You should probably get longer shocks too, but you can get by without them.

Now that personal attack wasn't necessary, was it, user?

>drzposting spreading to other generals
Here we go

One thing that's worth noting is that the two inch lifts / levelers can make your bumpy Cherokee even more bumpy. If you won't lift because of rust, it might be worth taking a look at the system (like shock replacement as mentioned) before disking it in general.

I mean, the old cherokees are great on light non-technical trails so you probably don't even need to do anything. I run 32s with diff armour and do perfectly fine. Any large and re-gearing messes up my fuel mileage too much to be worth it.

>Light technical trails

They're capable of much more than that, you know nothing faggot. This is exactly the kind of shit I was talking about. Literally kill yourself.

I found out that my dad did the Camel Trophy in the 80s.

What off road knowledge should I get from him?

Get him to post on /ORG/!

Also ask him how the old Defenders compared to the Discoverys (ies?) and if the air suspension getting easily dirtied is really a meme or actually good.

Ah but they're still great on the trails.

Also, I tried that yesterday but going 150 on the freeway but it only makes my doors oscillate really quickly. I'll have to go make some friends to help me bend in the flaps, though.

Ask him if he likes Ford or GM.

could i fit 31s without cutting?

Okay I like you but ngl that pic is really fucking gay